No announcement yet.

Saoirse's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry if I came off as anything but supportive - I know how tough a decision this can be depending on circumstances. For some, the foods at school are problematic due to severe allergies, for others, the schools may have a very bad element in them that you'd like to avoid at all costs. Then there is the typical situation where a classmate tells your kids about some really inappropriate stuff (violent or sexual) that they learned for an older sibling ro saw on TV, not to mention the behavoir issues that go on at most schools. The list of issues just goes on from there. With a society gone mad and many not being taught ethics or even simple right from wrong I totally get your dilema. My son is 3 and if we did not live in the area we do, I would def home school or private school (depending on $$, obvoiously). I'm glad you make such an effort as this is not an easy job!

I never really thought about your point that schools aren't real life. Since I went to school, I just always look at that as the normal thing kids do and move on from there. We do all the things you mention for enrichment outside of class time because you are right that this is where much of the real learning takes place.

Comment

• it's no worries mud flinger. my point was basically that "real world" training goes on outside of the classroom so i don't really agree with those who say that kids need to be in school to understand how to interact with the world. sitting kids in a room with 20 other peers is kind of artificial if you think about it. i know we can all point out stories of awkward homeschoolers, but i bet we all know kids who go to public school who are awkward too. thanks for letting me go on a tangent, this is more about certain family members than anything you've said

i'm not too worried about my kids being exposed to stuff at school. sheltering them has never been my intention.
      my primal journal:
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
        it's no worries mud flinger. my point was basically that "real world" training goes on outside of the classroom so i don't really agree with those who say that kids need to be in school to understand how to interact with the world.
        As Mark Twain said, "I never let schooling interfere with my education."

Comment

• I honestly wish that I could home school my youngest. He is having such a hard time right now. It is impossible of course because I am teaching 130 children who belong to other people. Don't get me wrong, I love my job. I'm just very worried about my own kid.
          Primal since 9/24/2010
          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• do you feel like he's not getting what he needs currently?

did you all see the article on school being evolutionarily inappropriate?
            Why Children Protest Going to School
            despite what i say, i really appreciate publicly-funded education, and i'm quite grateful for my own publicly-funded education, but i think it's worthwhile to continuously rethink how we educate our young.
            my primal journal:

Comment

• That was a really good essay - also the one about children and bedtime. Our kids have slept with us much more than reccomended by the "experts". It was a rare thing for either of them to go to bed alone. Our son's crib was in our room, but he rarely used it; he was usually in bed w/ us. My husband could barely put him down as an infant. In fact, we just took down his crib yesterday, as we have new furniture being delivered and need to reconfigure the house. Since we have a main floor master, I still have his clothes in our room as it is just easier that way. Kids will grow into sleeping alone and I have always felt that society makes too much judgement. Do whatever works for you and your family.

I always loved school - almost never missed and never cut classes when I was older. I loved the mental stimulation. At home (after school), I learned much the way described in the article - through play and exploration with projects, etc. Society now pushes parents to have the kids involved in lots of structured activities after school less they end up disadvantaged by their lack of soccer and musical/dance skills. While some kids may thrive in this environment, I fear many more just end up stressed and burned out.

Now you've given me a lot more to think about as far as my son's education goes!

Comment

• i think our family tends to err on the side of too little structure. most of our day revolves around doing whatever, whenever. there are certain times that seem advantageous to do this or that activity (like mopping the floor or working on a project while the baby naps; the kids seem bored so i motivate them to do chores), but mostly it's an all-day free-for-all. the kids request schoolwork and i help them when i can. they have a playroom devoted to their stuff, board games, legos, craft projects, etc. which is gated off from the baby. so they work on those activities when it suits them. they're very self-directed most of the time. but at the same time, we have little experience with keeping a routine, starting a task and sticking to it over the long term, that sort of thing. in a certain sense, public school might be good for them at least for a time. my hope is actually that they'll want to go to school for a few years while i'm in college, and when i'm finished they'll be happy to come home. i plan to work mostly from home; the idea of living off of two incomes is really exciting.

i liked school too. i played hookie a lot, but really i enjoyed it. other kids would whine about having to be in school and i just didn't get it.
                my primal journal:

Comment

do you feel like he's not getting what he needs currently?

did you all see the article on school being evolutionarily inappropriate?
                  Why Children Protest Going to School
                  despite what i say, i really appreciate publicly-funded education, and i'm quite grateful for my own publicly-funded education, but i think it's worthwhile to continuously rethink how we educate our young.
                  He is in a special education setting and the program is good. He is not recovering well from my Mom's death. He keeps asking for her. He was down in her apartment with us as I packed her clothes this weekend. Lately he does not want to be separated from us. For example, he tries to block the door when his brothers and I leave in the morning. Then he makes a big deal when we come back home. In his mind Nana just left and never came back. Since she died, he has become very badly behaved in school-hitting and kicking the teachers etc. I just wish I could keep him home for a while, but that won't solve the problem.
                  Primal since 9/24/2010
                  "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                  MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• sounds like he's still adjusting. it's got to be really tough. i wonder if you can call him throughout the day? maybe you and he could make a small photo album with pictures of him and his grandma while sharing stories about her. if his teachers would let him bring the album to school, it might ease his anxiety. *hugs* i'm sorry you have to go through this.
                    my primal journal:

Comment

• interesting idea, courtesy of my new cookbook:

liver roll-ups
                      2 lbs beef liver, cut into 1" cubes
                      one 32 oz can pineapple chunks, drained
                      1 lb bacon strips, halved

wrap 'em up and bake in a 425 oven for 20ish minutes.

the author claims these are a hit at potlucks. i may have to try these sometime.
                      my primal journal:

Comment

• My dad subscribed to MDA!! :')
                        my primal journal:

Comment

• Ms. fai, the only thing i'm consistent about is my lack of consistency. but, i'm not sweating it at this point. i'll worry about it later when the babe's a little older. good for you for nursing until 2. that's a much better start than the vast majority of us have had!

Comment

• would you like some spam with those crackers?

in other news, would anyone like to take my kids for a few days? i'm sure i'll miss them, eventually...
                            my primal journal:

Comment

would you like some spam with those crackers?
                              I'll throw in a nicely aged cheddar to go with the crackers.

Great news about your dad joining!!!!! That is the stuff!
                              Georgette

Comment

• definitely. i'm not sure how serious he is, but at least he's looking!
                                my primal journal:

Comment

Working...
                                X