Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
    heh. apparently you like the dress too.

you work out more than i do iniquity (that's an understatement!), have you ever cramped up like that? while i was hiking, i knew i was going to be sore, but i didn't think it would be that bad. i haven't used OTC pain killers in years, but i certainly would have last night if i had any in the house.
    Oh wait... there's words here too.

I think that's a pretty normal response to a bigger workload than you're used to. I don't really work out my legs as much as I honestly should, I basically never run, and I am not as disciplined with my sprints. Yesterday however I went to muaythai and decided to go for a run that's about 1.5 miles. No issues during the run, no issues during the workout, we finished with 50 deep bodyweight squats with calf raises at the end (squat down, as you stand up finish with a calf raise) and today my legs are sore as shit, and I'm pretty certain tomorrow will be worse than today.

The worst I ever experienced was during The Spartan Race. The whole race was beyond brutal, but there was a part where they had this ridiculous long incline, it was muddy and there was barb-wire so you were supposed to get on your hands and knees to go through it. Took me like a half hour, then as soon as I got to my feet... PAIN. My quads felt like rubber bands. I was literally scared to move because I felt like every time I took a step they would pull. I was cramping as I walked, the pain was pretty serious. It faded eventually. Something about that rest period though, where I basically didn't use my quads that much, made them cramp up when I needed them again.

On another occasion, I worked out with Al Kavadlo and others, and did much more than I'm used to as far as pull ups, dips, etc are concerned. The next three days I didn't do shit but rest because my muscles just ached.

My guess is that hike was many more "single leg squats" than you're used to. I don't really think much more than that is happening.

Question, can we see the backside? no just kidding, how come you're trying to low-carb? How low-carb are you talking? it may do you good to have some carbs maybe post-workout on your heaviest day. Not too much, I'm not talking about re-feeds or anything like that, but for me if I go low-carb too long I retain water more and there's a bit of a "swoosh" effect when I do have carbs. Also, are you squating daily? how come?
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
      Oh wait... there's words here too.
      we finished with 50 deep bodyweight squats with calf raises at the end (squat down, as you stand up finish with a calf raise) and today my legs are sore as shit, and I'm pretty certain tomorrow will be worse than today.
      eep, i would definitely be sore too.

The worst I ever experienced was during The Spartan Race. The whole race was beyond brutal, but there was a part where they had this ridiculous long incline, it was muddy and there was barb-wire so you were supposed to get on your hands and knees to go through it. Took me like a half hour, then as soon as I got to my feet... PAIN. My quads felt like rubber bands. I was literally scared to move because I felt like every time I took a step they would pull. I was cramping as I walked, the pain was pretty serious. It faded eventually. Something about that rest period though, where I basically didn't use my quads that much, made them cramp up when I needed them again.
      my legs definitely felt like rubber bands by the end of the hike. even the muscles under my knee caps were sore and tired.

what i felt the other night wasn't soreness or aching, but rather cramping like what you described during the spartan race. now my legs are sore and stiff, but i can handle that.

My guess is that hike was many more "single leg squats" than you're used to. I don't really think much more than that is happening.
      in retrospecy, i'm thinking magnesium deficiency and slight dehydration played a role. and of course over-exertion, but that's a given.

Question, can we see the backside? no just kidding, how come you're trying to low-carb? How low-carb are you talking?
      i'm not really low-carb right now. but i had been low carb because i'm still a bit skinny fat. my estimated BF% is maybe 25-28%. so basically, for vanity's sake.
      it may do you good to have some carbs maybe post-workout on your heaviest day. Not too much, I'm not talking about re-feeds or anything like that, but for me if I go low-carb too long I retain water more and there's a bit of a "swoosh" effect when I do have carbs. Also, are you squating daily? how come?
      when i go low-carb again, i'll remember that. i'm keeping coconut water on hand now, so i'll probably refuel with that after i "workout" (whenever that happens, ha!) i do hope to hike a bit this fall before the weather turns. squatting is basically to build muscle mass. after i lose a bit more fat, i'm going to have next to no ass, so my motivation is part vanity but also because muscle mass is a biomarker of health and all that jazz. if something were to happen to me years down the road (cancer, long recovery from a bad car accident or whatnot), i want to have some muscle reserves. so, my motivation is a combination of health and vanity.
      my primal journal:
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• totally unprimal topic, but the ford escape was a bust. we found out that it has the same rear hip room as our current vehicle anyway, so we're looking for something larger. next target: chevy trailblazer. not really excited about driving an SUV. i could sort of pretend that the escape is a big station wagon with a higher profile. the trailblazer is definitely an SUV.
        my primal journal:

Comment

• Hi Saorise
          (my little niece is called Saoirse, it does mean freedom in Irish)

Just read your thread and have to agree with everyone else the dress is fab
          Your food always sounds so tastey i have to stop reading in work it always makes me hungry, can you please post your receipe for ganache and primal brownies?
          Thanks a mill

Aoife

Comment

totally unprimal topic, but the ford escape was a bust. we found out that it has the same rear hip room as our current vehicle anyway, so we're looking for something larger. next target: chevy trailblazer. not really excited about driving an SUV. i could sort of pretend that the escape is a big station wagon with a higher profile. the trailblazer is definitely an SUV.
            I prefer the Trailblazer over the Escape but that's just me. I really like SUV's or Jeeps. I'm actually thinking about getting a 2011 Jeep Liberty(I like this current body style better than the original plus it has more leg room than the orriginal) in about 2-3 years. We had a Tahoe a couple of years back and talk about a fun vehicle.
            Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by gaoife View Post
              Hi Saorise
              (my little niece is called Saoirse, it does mean freedom in Irish)

Just read your thread and have to agree with everyone else the dress is fab
              Your food always sounds so tastey i have to stop reading in work it always makes me hungry, can you please post your receipe for ganache and primal brownies?
              Thanks a mill

Aoife
              thanks for stopping by! what does Aiofe mean? is that an irish name as well?

i'm afraid i don't really have a ganache recipe per se, it's something i eyeball. essentially heat up (very gently) some heavy whipping cream until hot. stir in around the same volume of chocolate (chocolate chips or a bar). stir until creamy. when it starts to cool, beat it. continue to beat until stiff and airy. i like to drop spoonfuls onto a wax paper-lined cookie sheet to freeze individually, then store in a freezer bag.

the brownies are from the primal cookbook, but slightly altered.

1.5 c nut meal
              .5 c tapioca flour
              .75 c dutch process cocoa
              1.5 tsp. baking powder
              1.5 tsp. baking soda
              .5 tsp salt
              2 large eggs
              1 c milk
              .5 c honey or maple syrup
              2 tsp. vanilla
              1/3 c melted butter
              bake in a well-buttered pan, in an oven preheated to 350F maybe 35-40 min. these come out crumbly so it's better to underbake rather than overbake. if i'm making these for a potluck or something, i'll sprinkle the top with a mix of white chocolate chips and regular chocolate chips, immediately after i take it out of the oven.

Originally posted by geostump View Post
              I prefer the Trailblazer over the Escape but that's just me. I really like SUV's or Jeeps. I'm actually thinking about getting a 2011 Jeep Liberty(I like this current body style better than the original plus it has more leg room than the orriginal) in about 2-3 years. We had a Tahoe a couple of years back and talk about a fun vehicle.
              hubby wants to trade in his chevy sportvan for a tahoe with a diesel engine. maybe someday. personally, i like being able to park nearly anywhere with my little sedan. moving up to a trailblazer will probably be a drastic enough change in size for us. really i've never even driven a truck or suv before so the different view may require a little adjustment. we're still waiting for the guy to take it in to the mechanic to check it out. i'm optimistic though; the current owner seems meticulous about maintenance. he's only selling because he "needs" a bigger vehicle, coincidentally, a tahoe.

breakfast this morning (sorry for the crappy photo):

Photo0365 by SaoirseCaesar2011, on Flickr

lunch was this, plus some sirloin and squash fries:

Photo0361 by SaoirseCaesar2011, on Flickr

all local (some from my garden), except of course the avocado and seasonings.
              my primal journal:

Comment

• Great i'll try them thanks a mill

Yep my name's irish most of my family have irish names, Aoife (ee-faa) sort of means "beauty" but there is so definate translation

Comment

• Originally posted by gaoife View Post
                  Great i'll try them thanks a mill

Yep my name's irish most of my family have irish names, Aoife (ee-faa) sort of means "beauty" but there is so definate translation
                  That's a beauriful name Aoife. I love names from the Isles. My middle daughter has a Scottish name, Tristan. I know its typically a male name but I have always thought it would be a very strong, feminine name for a girl and always liked that better than Kristen which is very common in the states.
                  Georgette

Comment

totally unprimal topic, but the ford escape was a bust. we found out that it has the same rear hip room as our current vehicle anyway, so we're looking for something larger. next target: chevy trailblazer. not really excited about driving an SUV. i could sort of pretend that the escape is a big station wagon with a higher profile. the trailblazer is definitely an SUV.
                    I was looking at new cars last winter...and looked at the escape and the subaru outback... the subaru was bigger (both kids carseats are RFing and you can put both fronts seats all the way back and not touch either seat - couldn't do that in the escape) ... and came in a manual transmission w/AWD... I was able to negotiate the price down to 22K -out the door w/taxes and title... sticker was 26.5K

btw your salad is making me hungry......
                    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
                    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
                    SW 190lb
                    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
                    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
                    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
                    GW ~135lbs
                    5'3"
                    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

• I like Tristan, too.

I'm fond of Subarus, but there weren't any in my price range. i can't drive stick either (or rather, i haven't yet). we'll be able to pay for this one out of pocket and have a little left over (maybe a new couch?)

Ooo...i just found a great-looking recipe in our newspaper in an article about local foods! i'm sure the sugar could be reduced or eliminated.

Vanilla Gelato

5 egg yolks

3/4 cup sugar

2 cups whole milk

1 cup light cream

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Combine egg yolks and sugar in mixing bowl. Beat on medium-high until thick and pale yellow. In medium saucepan, heat milk to a simmer. Add half of the milk to the egg yolk mixture; whisk until blended. Stir in remaining milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture coats the back of a spoon.

Remove from heat. Stir in the cream. Chill over an ice bath. Stir in vanilla. Freeze in ice cream maker 20 to 30 minutes.
                      my primal journal:

Comment

• cars are expensive... and finding a used subaru w/o a million miles on it will never happen... good luck finding something that works... I'm jealous your paying cash...

the gelato sounds so good.... though I think I'd just use cream for the whole thing.... but alas we dont' have an ice cream maker...
                        The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
                        What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
                        SW 190lb
                        Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
                        25 Sep 2011 160lbs
                        1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
                        GW ~135lbs
                        5'3"
                        Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

• we have an ice cream maker, but the bowl has a hole. i might buy a replacement soon.
                          my primal journal:

Comment

• You know I've been thinking about and coveting that dress...but I don't think it would make my legs look good. The have a multi-way "Flirty dress" that has a loose longer skirt. I may buy that one. That way, if we are ever at a party together, we won't have one of those embarassing celebrity moments as seen in People magazine. ie. Who wore it better?

Hope you find a car soon.
                            Primal since 9/24/2010
                            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• i love the flirty multi-way. i almost bought that one instead.

the trailblazer fell through too; not as many issues as the ford escape, but still too many for my taste. next contestant: 1999 honda passport, owned by a conscientious older couple that i know (in town!!). 180k mi, maybe that's not so bad for a honda? i'll call tomorrow about it.
                              my primal journal:

Comment

i love the flirty multi-way.
                                Where's canio6 when you need someone to do an awesome job of taking something out of context? I guess it's been left to me.
                                August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

Working...
                                X