No announcement yet.

Saoirse's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this might sound incredibly stupid, but i don't know the first thing about starting a workout routine. do you pick exercises and just do them? what if your muscles are sore for days afterward? do you still stick to the routine?

I just joined nerd fitness, no posts as i have nothing to add (funny that never stopped me here). I intend to workout at the school gym once classes start, even if it means paying more for childcare. the prospect of going is rather intimidating, though. what do i do while i'm there? pick a machine? are there specific protocol to follow? someone needs to write an article: "working out at the gym; for the painfully unaware."
    my primal journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• CAMPlNG!!

Hiking today above the lake.
      DSCN0057.jpg

A friend found this bull snake constricting and then trying to swallow this adorable chipmunk.
      DSCN0051.jpg

Sylvan Lake, which we had kayaked the day before. You can see some of the pine beetle damage off in the distance. Entire hillsides are covered in dying brown trees.
      DSCN0063.jpg

I know i'm a dorrk for posting, but I love this wooden bridge.
      DSCN0074.jpg

A few bikers for Cori. Today's the first official day of the rally (or maybe it's tomorrow). There were lots of bikers at the lake camping, but I didn't think to photograph them.
      DSCN0075.jpg
      my primal journal:

Comment

• Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
        this might sound incredibly stupid, but i don't know the first thing about starting a workout routine. do you pick exercises and just do them? what if your muscles are sore for days afterward? do you still stick to the routine?

I just joined nerd fitness, no posts as i have nothing to add (funny that never stopped me here). I intend to workout at the school gym once classes start, even if it means paying more for childcare. the prospect of going is rather intimidating, though. what do i do while i'm there? pick a machine? are there specific protocol to follow? someone needs to write an article: "working out at the gym; for the painfully unaware."
        Try body weight exercises to start. Plenty of stuff on the athletics part of the forum, discussions of apps. I can help in detail but there is lots of info on this forum. but, bodyweight exercises are the place to start.

good way to get form and confidence before a gym, which you can avoid anyway

Comment

• nah, the gym is going to be free to me, and childcare means that i can workout during the day instead of waiting until the kids are in bed (10 pm). i've done some bodyweight exercises in the past; squats should be weighted from now on because i can do too many of them. I do pushups (sets of 5) and plank burpees (sets of 10) when i have a moment. the toddler likes to crawl all over me whenever i'm not standing up, so finding a time to do these is a little difficult. My goal is basically to be able to do pullups and handstands.

anyway, so the question wasn't really "bodyweight vs. gym" . In short, you didn't really answer my questions.
          my primal journal:

Comment

• I started with workout videos. I downloaded some of those Jillian Michaels things and some Kettleworx (for kettlebell) videos. It's a place to start, at least. Sore muscles is good, it means you've "damaged" them, but as they heal, they will retain the ability you worked on. If you're so sore that you can't move the next day, maybe that's a bit much, it's okay to work out when you're sore, just don't immobilize yourself.
            Depression Lies

Comment

• Ok then.

Comment

• yeah, i'm talking about muscle cramps at night kind of soreness. sometimes my muscles get achy during the day even though i hadn't exercised in a while. this is why i wonder if i do too much, or if there's something wrong with me.

I've tried exercise videos in the past, but i just don't stick with it. ironically, the social aspect of meeting people draws me to the gym, but i feel intimidated by the possibility of looking like an idiot. the other thing is that it's really difficult to exercise with a toddler around. nearly impossible.
                my primal journal:

Comment

• What about classes at a gym? That way, there are other people, but you don't necessarily have to use equipment. Don't know that there would be an intro to gym equipment kind of class, but maybe there is! They also might have a daycare option. Many Crossfit gyms offer a free intro session that would go over what it is as well as some of the basics. Or you could start off with some personal training just to get a feel for things.
                  Depression Lies

Comment

• Find a staff member at the gym, outline what you want, and ask them to put together a program. That's what I did. I don't know crap about lifting, but I wanted a short workout with multiple joints for building strength. That's what he gave me. You might want to ask a male, though, since I suspect what you want is a more "masculine" workout in the pursuit of badassness rather than toning.
                    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• oh no drssgchic, i'm afraid i might get bulky. I just want to tone my legs and get a smaller ass.
                      maybe i oughtta call the gym and see what kind of staffing they have. i'm not sure if they're open until the dorms are.

nameless-kiddo will be in the same daycare he'll be in when i'm at class. the gym is one on campus, free to students.
                      my primal journal:

Comment

• Lol. I'm glad I ended up asking the guy. He just happened to be the one on when I went down. The girl working there was rather horrified when I explained to her what I was doing. "But, but, women get fit differently!"
                        http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

oh no drssgchic, i'm afraid i might get bulky. I just want to tone my legs and get a smaller ass.
                          maybe i oughtta call the gym and see what kind of staffing they have. i'm not sure if they're open until the dorms are.

nameless-kiddo will be in the same daycare he'll be in when i'm at class. the gym is one on campus, free to students.
                          Pppppfffffffffffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttt...
                          NO!
                          You will not get "bulky".
                          Do not fear it.
                          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• you must've missed my sarcasm.

that said, i do come from some pretty sturdy german stock. *shrug* i'm not worried.
                            my primal journal:

Comment

you must've missed my sarcasm.

that said, i do come from some pretty sturdy german stock. *shrug* i'm not worried.
                              Sorry... squashed brain is less perceptive.
                              I feel very swollen headed and hung over today, despite a very notable lack of alcoholic beverages for Ohhhhh.... I dunno... over a YEAR!
                              Bleh. Blerg. Fail.
                              Being hung over without the perceived fun the night before isn't exactly fair.
                              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• it's okay. i miss sarcasm all the time, and it's only because i'm awesome like that.

I've been lurking in your journal, but never know what to say. i've also been thinking of sending you a little gift. nothing spectacular, just a little something. i would if i had your mailing address.
                                my primal journal:

Comment

Working...
                                X