No announcement yet.

Saoirse's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i did okay- 91%. total possible points were probably somewhere in the 80s, so my total grade is now 90%. next test should be pretty easy, so assuming that i don't make stupid mistakes, i should do alright in the class.
    my primal journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Yay for you.
      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• sort of yay. low As are something i can live with, but still am a little disappointed.
        my primal journal:

Comment

• I hear a perfectionist in our midst - quick, make it stop!!! Really - a 91% is very good on a math test - remember, you just need to make it through these classes - not ace them. You are human - in fact a busy Mom - so you have lots to take care of that the average student doesn't. You are awesome just for doing this. Plus, it's only the end grade that shows on your transcript, so an A is excellent. Be proud of yourself!

Comment

• thanks mud flinger. in the end, what's important to me is that i learn the material. i still have Calc 1-3 and another math class to take (ordinary differential equations IIRC) as well as a few Chemistry courses (i'm more worried about those than any of the math), so i want to keep my GPA high in the lower-level classes to balance out the (possible) lower grades i might earn in the upper classes. goal is to finish school with a B average. this college has a great reputation in our area so if i do well, it's likely i'll be able to find work after, which is the ultimate goal. (apparently my program has a 13% completion rate but a 98% job/grad degree placement rate)

anyway, yes a little bit of a perfectionist. but i can strive for that so why not? i'm not going to beat myself up about, just try harder next time.
            Last edited by Saoirse; 07-05-2012, 06:28 PM.
            my primal journal:

Comment

• i had a little bit of an upper body workout today, which is good because i've been a slacker throughout this heat. loaded a bit of peat moss from the van to the backyard, then turned heavy, wet soil for a while. my feet are still super dirty though i've washed them, but hopefully the kids get to plant their plants tomorrow finally. i like feeling useful.
              my primal journal:

Comment

• BTW, if you roll liver in bacon with pineapple chunks and fry it, it still tastes like liver.

DSCN0312.jpg

i'm considering making my icon into a headless torso. it makes a lot of sense, we're on a health and fitness forum. anonymity is kind of nice. there are a few hot torsos floating around MDA. but i dunno, i'm on the fence. so...headless torso? or should i continue with my straight-faced "hanging out in a ratty t shirt" mug shot?

headless torso.jpg
                my primal journal:

Comment

• Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                  BTW, if you roll liver in bacon with pineapple chunks and fry it, it still tastes like liver.
                  Thanks for the laugh! They look like they had so much potential! (FWIW, I hate liver too)

That's a hot "headless" shot. Gotta love the kid's hand print in the back ground!

Comment

• did you also notice the blurry toddler head by my feet and tips of a towel on my neck? i was taking the pic for my husband after i stepped out of the shower.
                    my primal journal:

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                      very much so.

My wife almost got expelled from school over a math class involving oranges. As such, I can't read a school orange/math-science story without laughing.
                      I assumed you were going to follow up with an explanation. how do you get expelled over oranges?
                      my primal journal:

Comment

I assumed you were going to follow up with an explanation. how do you get expelled over oranges?
                        Oh, sorry. She was 6 or 7 or so at the time and the teacher told her class that you could not divide 3 by 4. My wife said that was not true and the teacher basically told her to be quiet. So the next day she brought in 3 oranges and a knife to show that you sure as heck could divide 3 things into 4 equal parts (I would presume by weight though I never thought to ask). She was almost expelled over the knife. Her dad came to school and said his daughter was not going to be expelled because her teacher was an idiot who was misinforming students. The principal agreed.

The saga continued because the teacher then failed my wife (though not at the time) for the year as revenge. She just failed to realize that at the same time her own daughter was applying for admission into the physical therapy program at the university where my wife's father was the chair of the department. This is one time where having the wrong mother can really f*ck up your career goals.

Comment

• LOL...
                          This remind me of the time when I was in Kindergarten when I refused to color a cow purple on principle...

It was a 'handout' coloring sheet with a poem... busy time stuff or some such.
                          So there was a picture of a big cow in a grassy field and a little poem at the bottom.
                          The poem said:
                          I never saw a purple cow,
                          And I never hope to see one.
                          But if there was a purple cow,
                          I'd rather see than be one.

Now... the idea was that we were then supposed to color that cow on the page PURPLE.
                          Umm... NO!
                          I colored my cow rusty brown and white. Just like a real cow.
                          The teacher gave me a dreaded 'X' and I was terribly indignant.
                          How on earth did I do it "wrong"... it was very neatly colored.
                          "You were supposed to make the cow purple" she informed me.
                          And I responded with something like "Why would I do that, real cows are not purple."
                          My mother was called.
                          Teachers just don't get it.
                          If the directions are obviously and logically WRONG... why give a kid an "X" for not pretending that they are right.
                          The test was to see if you knew your colors or not I suppose... and I knew them just fine.
                          Well enough to avoid making a purple cow anyway.

My 7th grade Science teacher also got pissy when he told the class that "There are 3 states of matter: solid, liquid and gas"
                          And I piped in with "That's not correct, there are four. You forgot plasma."
                          His response... (scowl) "You need to see me after class."
                          Seriously... Pfffftttttttttttt.
                          Last edited by cori93437; 07-07-2012, 11:21 AM.
                          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                            Oh, sorry. She was 6 or 7 or so at the time and the teacher told her class that you could not divide 3 by 4. My wife said that was not true and the teacher basically told her to be quiet. So the next day she brought in 3 oranges and a knife to show that you sure as heck could divide 3 things into 4 equal parts (I would presume by weight though I never thought to ask). She was almost expelled over the knife. Her dad came to school and said his daughter was not going to be expelled because her teacher was an idiot who was misinforming students. The principal agreed.

The saga continued because the teacher then failed my wife (though not at the time) for the year as revenge. She just failed to realize that at the same time her own daughter was applying for admission into the physical therapy program at the university where my wife's father was the chair of the department. This is one time where having the wrong mother can really f*ck up your career goals.
                            oops. poor daughter!
                            geez, stupid teachers (those specifically, not all). i don't know if i was just lucky, or teachers are becoming less nitpicky, but i don't remember running into much of that. there was a time in 3rd grade that i received bad marks on a worksheet due to a bitchy old-fashioned teacher. we were supposed to follow along in class, but instead i read ahead and completed the packet before they had finished the second page. so she counted all of those points wrong for "not following directions." it's funny, my mom was mildly disappointed with me at report card time because i always got low marks for effort (but high marks for competency). i remember feeling down because of that, but it just dawned on me: how the hell did they expect me to put out more effort if they only gave me unchallenging material? anyway, the vast majority of the teachers i remember were cool people who were excited when they were corrected by students; at least the kids are paying attention!
                            my primal journal:

Comment

at least the kids are paying attention!
                              This, totally this! Have you ever tried to teach a class of older kids or even college level - OMFG!!! The students (most of them anyway) aren't even polite enough to make eye contact and day dream. Even when they know that the material will be on a test.

Younger kids I've taught at least try to pay attention and participate if you try to make it interesting and interactive.

I'm reminded of a scene in Ferris Bueller's Day off where that teacher is like "Anyone, anyone," trying to get the students to interact with him.

Comment

• I had the exact same problem with skipping ahead most of the time. I would get so bored waiting for everyone to catch up that I would often fall behind as a result, I'd zoned out waiting and they'd moved on! Fortunately it did not take me too long to catch up, usually. Sometimes I would PURPOSELY fall behind so I would have something to do. I hope I can remember to keep an eye out for this kind of thing when my kids are growing up so I can make sure they are appropriately taught at home, or a better school, if that's possible.
                                Depression Lies

Comment

Working...
                                X