No announcement yet.

Saoirse's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know what I got off that paper you took a picture of? Fuck it. Yep, that was it

I kinda lost the thread about H, but since it seems like he is going to be a fact of life, I think you should give him a book and whenever possible make it clear what the right answer is and praise him for making it. Sometimes all that's needed is the option to HAVE a right answer. However, most of your focus should be on protecting your kids and teaching them to deal with the situation.

Who was it that mentioned as an adult they just avoid bullies? You've never had a family member or coworker or client try to bully you? Those people tend to be hard to avoid. It is EASIER to avoid bullies as an adult, but not always possible.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
      It will throw up on my rented tux and then cry all night about how it misses its ex?
      Well, the answer was it's getting nailed, but now that my ex up...could you afford to feed her? That's why we broke up.
      If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

• Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
        You know what I got off that paper you took a picture of? Fuck it. Yep, that was it

I kinda lost the thread about H, but since it seems like he is going to be a fact of life, I think you should give him a book and whenever possible make it clear what the right answer is and praise him for making it. Sometimes all that's needed is the option to HAVE a right answer. However, most of your focus should be on protecting your kids and teaching them to deal with the situation.

Who was it that mentioned as an adult they just avoid bullies? You've never had a family member or coworker or client try to bully you? Those people tend to be hard to avoid. It is EASIER to avoid bullies as an adult, but not always possible.
        That was me. I may just be lucky or it could very well be that I'm forgetful because I really don't remember having to be around a bully as an adult. In my profession as a chef I've certainly encountered some chef's that were jerks but I've never felt that I had to stick it out working with them. As an adult for some one to be a bully they have to have some sort of power over the person that's the target of their bullying and the victim has to feel trapped, I've always felt I could leave a situation that wasn't working for me. If an adult is a bully it's very unlikely that they will change their behavior.
        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• I haven't had to deal with a lot of bullies as an adult, but i've had to deal with a few. i've had the ability to just leave the situation, though of course that came with its own costs. however, i've been a stay at home mom most of my life, so other than my husband and family who live in town, most other human interactions are optional.

as a kid, i probably encountered bullies but again i was pretty lucky. I had plenty of friends, so never really felt that ostracized. well, there was a time in middle school when my two best friends ostracized me; it took me a little while to see that was a dead end and to make new friends. other than that, I can look back and see that i was teased by a few people over an extended period but at the time it wasn't bad enough that i really took notice. i'm sure if i was targeted by multiple people, or if it was physical bullying, it wouldn't have rolled off like it did. i also had a decent self-esteem and a mom who teased us as kids (so my knee-jerk reaction was to say "yeah whatever" instead of becoming offended or hurt).
          Last edited by Saoirse; 07-16-2012, 04:44 PM. Reason: grammar
          my primal journal:
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
            That test will be like a drunk chick at the after-prom party.
            i *think* i totally nailed her. will find out thursday or monday. happy 4th everyone!
            my primal journal:

Comment

• Happy american holiday. Do you celebrate it by shooting guns into the air?
              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Where I live some one always shoots something into the air.
                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                  Happy american holiday. Do you celebrate it by shooting guns into the air?
                  that and clubbing baby seals.
                  my primal journal:

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                    it does? Isn't an orange basically a sphere? V= 4/3 pi*r^3 (sorry, I can't do the little symbol for pi)

I know oranges are not perfect spheres but I can't imagine they expected calculus for a 10 year old.
                    I think they expected displacement, since it was 'science' class, not math class, and apparently had been going over displacement stuff. Or at least, I heard this after the fact.

And, it is pretty "regular" schooling. Steiner schools teach math practically (ie, age 5 they start knitting, which is counting, addition, etc) and they also do modest woodworking (making knitting needles, etc). By age 10, they've moved into making their own knives, bows, and what not, and they might have gotten into weaving after knitting. So the first 5 years are really spent on a lot of practical workings of math.

Physics starts at age 10-11; and I think that as they head into age 13/14 they start working with calculus and the like.

But it's not taught at all traditionally. Everything is taught in terms of -- myth/literature, theorhetical discussion, art project, hand working project, physical building project. So, you learn a lot of things that you don't know you're learning, and the kids are outdoors at least 2-4 hours a day learning in the gardens, woods, or actually building/repairing the school, and so on.

I think it creates a really practical education model.

Anyway, fun stuff. In years 12/13 here, they learn how regular school works, so that they can get the tricks of passing tests for university. LOL

Comment

• lol, sounds like a great model for schooling.
                      my primal journal:

Comment

• Originally posted by Saoirse View Post

Wut???
                        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

lol, sounds like a great model for schooling.
                          very much so.

My wife almost got expelled from school over a math class involving oranges. As such, I can't read a school orange/math-science story without laughing.

Comment

Yeah, I tried this but the bouncer would not let them in without proper ID.

I hope your 4th went well. We actually had a fireworks display this year (yay for some rain) which was cool.

Comment

i *think* i totally nailed her. will find out thursday or monday. happy 4th everyone!
                              That's funny, that's the same thing I said about her the next day. It seems she wasn't the only one a little too drunk.
                              If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

• Well? Was she or wasn't she?

It always sucks when friends turn on you. I have been in a couple of situations with adult bullies. Sure, I could leave the situation- if I left the job.
                                http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

Working...
                                X