No announcement yet.

Saoirse's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bummer. i guess it's less for the daycare to worry about?

the weather is quite warm today, so the little man had his first real experience playing in the snow. i placed his little bare feet in the snow for a second, and he asked me to do it again a few times. he liked to grab the snow and suck on it (of course). then we bundled him in bunting and let him crawl around in the snow (hands and feet covered) while the kids and i had a snowball fight.
    my primal journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• i started to gain again (tracking is becoming too time consuming), but one day i missed eating for most of the day and my jeans felt much roomier the next day. i think i'm going to try skipping through lunch for a while.

we started some seeds last monday. just onions, broccoli, and sweet peppers so far. 4 of the 6 broccoli have sprouted. i speak sweet nothings to them every morning.
      my primal journal:

Comment

• Yah, probably gives them some risk reduction to have the astroturf. Just kinda sad from a nature loving perspective.

I have broccoli sprouts on my counter now -- but they're for eating, not growing outside for later eating.

Hope the IFing works for you! Sounds easier than meticulous tracking, heheh.
        "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• I just came back from a multi-family camp-out. well, it wasn't really a CAMP out, as we were all staying in these beautiful swanky cabins (complete with jacuzzis). We had a day-long potluck as the kids ran about the ranch and that night we sat around a campfire playing drums and roasting marshmallows (completely un Primal, i didn't have any). For the potluck I made my primal cupcakes and a chicken soup (with kabocha squash, swiss chard, and garam masala), and there was other primal fare such as cauliflower rice and a chocolate vegan pie. The pie was delicious (though way too sweet). Here's the recipe: Chocolate Vegan Pie The pie I ate was sweetened with raw honey instead of agave. I may actually make this some day. It's kind of funny when people of different dietary restrictions come together for a potluck.

the day after, abbey and I walked down to pet the horses and ponies. Mmmm...warm fuzzies. we had to leave early for another potluck. For some reason, i had the suspicion that this would be a vegetarian potluck. the invitation stated "main dish is provided, please bring a side." well, i brought a beef stew claiming that "sorry, this was all that i had on hand." yep, i was right. other than the bacon in someone's store-bought broccoli salad, my stew was the only meat present. the main dish was a lentil bake, and fried tofu was one of the main sides. in fact, the only foods i could eat were my stew, someone's salad, and the store-bought broccoli salad (and that was iffy). but, no one said a peep about my meat other than "oh this is delicious" so i don't think i offended anyone. Hubby skipped the potluck and dug the remainder of the sand out of the kids' sandbox, so it's ready to be filled with dirt for their new garden! he also tilled my garden plot. I'm so psyched!
          my primal journal:

Comment

• ONE STEP CLOSER TO A HEAD STAND!!
            (sorry for the shitty video quality)

oof-dah!
            Last edited by Saoirse; 03-25-2011, 11:16 PM.
            my primal journal:

Comment

• (When I said risk reduction above, I meant insurance risk... just realized I left the word out.)

So how'd you work out that it was probably a vegetarian potluck? Just who invited you? (Not that it should matter -- if they didn't specify vegetarian, beef stew is reasonable. And soups are usually considered sides.)

Square-foot sandbox garden? Nice.

And hey, that's a great proto-headstand! Keep at it, thanks for the vid!
              "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• oh yeah, i figured you meant liability.

it was my cousin's potluck; she was in town from the SW. she has a lot of "alternative" friends, and if her personality is any indicator they're probably mostly closed-minded and somewhat militant about their "alternative" views. so i just assumed it was vegetarian, and everyone else would get the message except me. i remember some of the guests talking about how hard it is to get special vegan food around here, and thinking "well duh. do you see much room for growing soybeans??"

the garden isn't quite finished; we still need to add a bit of soil on top of the yard waste that we dumped in there as filler. but it doesn't really matter anyway, as i awoke to snow this morning.

my seedlings are getting quite leggy, so i decided to buy a grow light. heh, somehow i feel deviant even though the grow light is for peppers and broccoli rather than pot. the light at my favorite greenhouse was $70, so i went to lowes and bought 2 for $15 each. hopefully that does the trick.

after the "head stands", i expected to wake up with a head ache this morning. pleasant surprise that i didn't. i showed my daughter the video and she was impressed.
                my primal journal:

Comment

• note to self: when practicing forearm stands, DO NOT interlock your fingers. i was about to fall over, so i tucked my chin and rolled. unfortunately my fingers were squished together, interlocked, under my head because i couldn't move them quickly enough.

two other things i've learned tonight:
                  i LOVE being upside-down. this is what i miss about being a kid.
                  a "forearm stand" is a yoga pose which is a bit different than what i'm doing. so i'm not really sure what to call this.
                  Last edited by Saoirse; 03-28-2011, 09:18 PM.
                  my primal journal:

Comment

• I love the "alternative" with air quotes. XD Heheheh.

This snowy weather is somewhat astounding to me. More predicted for tomorrow around here.

Grow light... heh, as an aquarium enthusiast we are tragically accustomed to buying mega-wattage sun lamps for aquarium plants and for reef aquariums (especially the latter). When I open the aquarium hood it's so bright, it's like a religious experience. I've heard many stories about police getting suspicious about that blue glow from the basement windows, only to discover a totally rad reef tank.

Since the yoga pose has a different name, I suggest calling it "Saoirse's Super Skull Stand!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenny View Post
                      I love the "alternative" with air quotes. XD Heheheh.

This snowy weather is somewhat astounding to me. More predicted for tomorrow around here.

Grow light... heh, as an aquarium enthusiast we are tragically accustomed to buying mega-wattage sun lamps for aquarium plants and for reef aquariums (especially the latter). When I open the aquarium hood it's so bright, it's like a religious experience. I've heard many stories about police getting suspicious about that blue glow from the basement windows, only to discover a totally rad reef tank.

Since the yoga pose has a different name, I suggest calling it "Saoirse's Super Skull Stand!"
                      you crack me up. "religious experience" nice visual. we have three shelves running the length of our laundry room. currently they're filled with random junk that we should probably throw away. i have fantasies of lining them with grow lights and keeping plants in there; maybe flowering plants, miniature bonsai, stuff like that. it would be so much more enjoyable to fold laundry!
                      my primal journal:

Comment

• Bonsai might not be too pleased with the weird dry air temperature changes that some dryers leak into the room. still, it might be a nice little oasis -- what I used to do was grow my bonsai in one area of the house and I'd rotate one onto my desk each week. So I always got to have a plant on my desk even though there really wasn't enough light there to keep them all there long-term. (I did have a light but I don't think it was as good as the windowsill where they usually lived.)

My cat and bonsai would probably not get along. Toddlers either for that matter... So, currently plant-less.

The fun, cheating, cheapie way to get a bonsai is to go to the garden center and paw through all the juniper bushes till you find one with a bonsai inside of it. Then cut off all the parts that aren't your bonsai.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenny View Post
                          Bonsai might not be too pleased with the weird dry air temperature changes that some dryers leak into the room. still, it might be a nice little oasis -- what I used to do was grow my bonsai in one area of the house and I'd rotate one onto my desk each week. So I always got to have a plant on my desk even though there really wasn't enough light there to keep them all there long-term. (I did have a light but I don't think it was as good as the windowsill where they usually lived.)

My cat and bonsai would probably not get along. Toddlers either for that matter... So, currently plant-less.

The fun, cheating, cheapie way to get a bonsai is to go to the garden center and paw through all the juniper bushes till you find one with a bonsai inside of it. Then cut off all the parts that aren't your bonsai.
                          re: laundry room climate, good point. also good idea about the bonsai rotation. i'll probably make some bonsais from local trees, so they will be mostly outdoor plants. i haven't figured out how to overwinter them though, the shed will be too cold while the basement is way too warm. i might store them in the basemen window wells. i have a juniper bush in the yard which i might shape into a bonsai and just leave it where it is (rather than put it in a container). yeah, i know, not a true bonsai.

i'm in the same boat with regard to plants. i've actually killed quite a few. currently i have a kalanchoe and a wandering jew (I don't know another term for this plant). the kalanchoe has survived with me for around a month, while the other plant survived IN A LITTLE MASON JAR in water for many months. i finally transplanted it to a pot last night. so far, so good. i'm going to give indoor plants another try, though, and actually take care of them. my dad had TONS of plants in his house when i was growing up, and my home has always felt barren without them.
                          my primal journal:

Comment

• Ooh, good idea with the window wells -- or wrap them up and set against the wall of the house? The window wells sound like a better bet, though.

My hacked-from-bushes bonsai weren't technically "true" bonsai either, but whatever. They looked good and treeish and I could fuss over them.

Wandering jew -- I don't think there is another common name for that, at least not according to Wikipedia...

I keep thinking I'll get some kind of moisture mat auto-watering system going that makes indoor bonsai lower maintenance, but... I can barely keep up with my aquarium right now despite recriting Optimus Primal's help. Bonsai are way too ambitious for me right now. I'm thinking maybe a terrarium later, something unlikely to dry out and relatively inaccessible to cat.

Comment

• hmm...dry raisin toast. that's the closest description of the "cookies" i tried making today. i soaked around 1 cup of almonds for a few hours, then drained and chopped in a food processor. i also added around 1/3c dried cranberries, cinnamon, salt, vanilla, some coconut oil, and 2 eggs (then of course i flattened little spheres onto a cookie sheet and baked them at 350). it was decent, but without the sweetness it can hardly be called a cookie. however, it did taste like dry cinnamon raisin toast. i added honey to the last batch, maybe if i try again i'll add a little more fat and egg as well.

this makes me wonder. could these be a suitable replacement for the toast in a rare creamed eggs and toast? or sausage, "biscuits" and gravy?
                              Last edited by Saoirse; 04-04-2011, 04:38 PM.
                              my primal journal:

Comment

• wow, i really messed up today.
                                breakfast was decent, albeit small: 1 sausage patty, decaf coffee+half&half
                                i slept through lunch. the babe has croup and has been keeping me awake for the past 2 nights. when i woke up from my nap, i ate some sausage+marinara+tiny bit of zucchini. my nap left me feeling dehydrated and shaky, so when i arrived at the co-op (to volunteer) i drank a large can of coconut juice (38g sugar). after my shift was over, i ate around 1/2c dark chocolate almonds and then went to lowe's for 2 hours. i was ravenous when i came home, so i ate whatever was in sight. that means 1 1/2 slices of pizza, 1/2 GF bagel with butter, and a 1/2 c greek-style yogurt with honey. the bagel was fabulous! eh, it's not the end of the world. i was doing so well, too. all last week i fasted until lunch time and it seemed to be making a difference in the density of my abdominal fat. oh well, tomorrow is a new day!
                                my primal journal:

Comment

Working...
                                X