Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
    It's really yummy!

Nah, I'm lazy! I start it with about 1 part storebought kefir to 4 parts raw milk. Then I save a bit of the homemade kefir and use it to start the next batch. I can do this about 4-5 times, then the grains are exhausted. I don't strain out the kefir grains, we just make it into smoothies.
    I used to make kefir from grains that I had purchased. It came out very good. The cultures in the grains you buy mail order or get from a friend are much more varied and healthier than store-bought because 1) store bought can't propagate from generation to generation perpetually and 2) store bought contains a small number of pre-defined organism types while the grains you buy have a hugely varied population that more than likely changes. I still have some old grains in the fridge that I should really take out and see if they're any good -- they were very good but they've been pickling for a few months in the mason jar.

I haven't been using them because really, I don't tolerate milk well at all and couldn't easily get raw milk due to the Food Nazis here. Not worth getting into a herd share program just to find out that I don't really tolerate raw milk that well either.

I do eat raw milk cheese as a rule and I seem to tolerate smaller quantities pretty well. Last night I had Roquefort, the real thing, which is of course moldy sheep's raw milk cheese, and it is delicious and I do okay with that so long as it isn't too much. I also love goat's and cow's milk raw cheeses but tolerate cow's a little bit less well.

Comment

• Originally posted by richard View Post
      I used to make kefir from grains that I had purchased. It came out very good. The cultures in the grains you buy mail order or get from a friend are much more varied and healthier than store-bought because 1) store bought can't propagate from generation to generation perpetually and 2) store bought contains a small number of pre-defined organism types while the grains you buy have a hugely varied population that more than likely changes.
      Yeah, I am aware of all that, but if I had to do even one more step, the kefir would not get made. LOL, that's how lazy I am wrt food prep!

My kefir is yummy and consistent, which is all I ask. The only reason I ferment the milk is to make it last longer. I digest raw milk just fine, in small quantities.

We're on a month-to-month payment arrangement with the producer, so not exactly a herd share. I bet you could ask for a sample before committing to any herd share, though.
      Last edited by Dragonfly; 07-10-2013, 06:43 AM.
      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Yeah, I am aware of all that, but if I had to do even one more step, the kefir would not get made. LOL, that's how lazy I am wrt food prep!

My kefir is yummy and consistent, which is all I ask. The only reason I ferment the milk is to make it last longer. I digest raw milk just fine, in small quantities.

We're on a month-to-month payment arrangement with the producer, so not exactly a herd share. I bet you could ask for a sample before committing to any herd share, though.
        with me dairy isn't the best so I gave up on the kefir. The small amounts of raw milk cheeses are great but not too much.

Unfortunately the thing that really bothers me is my intolerance to chocolate. Also tomatoes, beans of all kinds, and hot peppers, which I love but that irritate my gut, sadly.

Comment

• Originally posted by richard View Post
          with me dairy isn't the best so I gave up on the kefir. The small amounts of raw milk cheeses are great but not too much.

Unfortunately the thing that really bothers me is my intolerance to chocolate. Also tomatoes, beans of all kinds, and hot peppers, which I love but that irritate my gut, sadly.
          Bummer. I don't know how I could survive without chocolate!

Comment

• Yesterday's Food:
            Tea w/cream
            Coffee
            Cheese, pork liver pâté, olives, chocolate butter, limeade
            Pork tacos, manhattan!, chocolate

Comment

• Today's Food:
              Tea w/ cream
              Eggs with salsa & sour cream, chocolate butter
              Cheese, pickles
              Nuts
              Last edited by Dragonfly; 07-11-2013, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• Nothing like trying on clothes in a poorly lit dressing room to give a person motivation!

After 6 weeks of ketosis, I feel adapted enough to do a mostly meat and eggs diet for the next three weeks. I have maintained my weight at 125 for the last month, no problem.

We are leaving for one of our hometowns on the 31st and this is excellent motivation for dropping a bit more of my body fat. I am hoping that my body will be just as happy to consume subcutaneous fat as dietary fat! So goodbye cheese, chocolate butter and nuts-- for a wee while.

Comment

• Friday Food:
                  Tea w/cream, bone broth
                  Steak and eggs, limeade
                  Ground lamb with BBQ sauce
                  Small amount of chocolate butter (couldn't go cold turkey, haha!)
                  Last edited by Dragonfly; 07-14-2013, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Nothing like trying on clothes in a poorly lit dressing room to give a person motivation!

After 6 weeks of ketosis, I feel adapted enough to do a mostly meat and eggs diet for the next three weeks. I have maintained my weight at 125 for the last month, no problem.

We are leaving for one of our hometowns on the 31st and this is excellent motivation for dropping a bit more of my body fat. I am hoping that my body will be just as happy to consume subcutaneous fat as dietary fat! So goodbye cheese, chocolate butter and nuts-- for a wee while.
                    pretty rad!

I'm probably still too high on the nuts. Not good for the PUFA content either. And I could be a bit thinner (although my wife doesn't think so). Probably what I really need is resistance training again...I haven't lifted in months due to a tendon injury and also some other factors.

Good luck losing that bodyfat! Couldn't be much to lose!

Comment

• Thanks Richard! I appreciate the encouragement.

Unfortunately, due to hormones (ahem!) I wasn't as compliant with my diet yesterday. Not too bad, overall though!

Saturday Food:
                      Tea w/cream
                      Bone broth
                      Steak and duck eggs, limeade
                      Cheese, nuts, chocolate butter ( all small quantities, thank goodness!)
                      Kefir with raspberries

Comment

• hormones do that, tell you what!

I'm having a day. perhaps a several days. so frustrating. (not about food, water, shelter, or exercise. or vitamin d.) but, i haven't turned to eating, which is *awesome*.

Comment

• Can't believe a week has gone by...

So the steak and eggs diet had to wait until after my TOM. I was able to keep my overall food intake reasonable and stay in ketosis, but I wasn't in a place to do any restricting. I should know this by now, but I always forget.

I also got horribly bloated for about 4 days. Never had this experience before and at first I was confused as to the cause.

Finally, I realized that I had been drinking a lot more alcohol of late. Basically a drink every day. Normally, I am a once a week kinda gal, but the hot weather must have addled my brain, lol!

Alcohol + perimenopause = estrogen dominance (for some.) Estrogen dominance = bloating. So I stopped the boozing, am applying a dab of Progesterone cream before bed and everything has been returning to normal over the last 2 days. Whew!

Today I am back to meat & eggs (and a wee bit of chocolate butter, so I don't feel deprived!)

Tea w/cream, bone broth
                          Hot dogs, pickles, kombucha
                          steak, eggs, chocolate butter, limeade

Comment

• My friend made us some caramel corn, right? Now the kid has THE WORST gas ever. Poor critter.

Comment

• Ouch!
                              Funny, that I have not been tempted by popcorn at all since going keto. It used to be my fave treat...

Comment

• Tea w/cream, bone broth
                                Tortilla espanola, local huckleberry pork sausage
                                Bacon, leftover steak, chocolate butter
                                Last edited by Dragonfly; 07-21-2013, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X