Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katzilla's Primal Journal

1st Month Results:

It's been about a month since going primal and I've dropped 14 lbs. This is particularly ridiculous when you consider that I just can't manage to lose weight while breastfeeding. It took me a year to lose the baby weight from my first daughter, and almost all of that was at the end.

This has been the most effortless and awesome change ever. It turns out I probably have celiac disease, since cutting out grains I haven't had any IBS symptoms at all.

I have no desire to cheat since it will most likely mean dizziness, living on the toilet and if I have dairy or soy my baby gets really, really sick for a week or two. Pain is such a great motivator.

I started at a size 16 and I'm now in a 12. In a month. Holy crap.

I still have a bit of weight to lose. 20lbs and I will be at my pre-pregnancy weight but ideally I would like to be around 130. But honestly weight is just a number. I want to feel, sleep and eat better.
    5 foot 5 female.
    Starting weight 187 (10/4/10)
    Got knocked up; Had 3rd babby.
    Current weight 128 (8/20/2012)
    Goal weight 150 (pre-pregnancy weight); Goal weight #2 135 (ideal); Newest goal? RIPPED. I WANNA BE RIPPED.

"Bring a knife to a gun fight--stab them while they're laughing"
    "You were born a winner- you were the fastest sperm"
    I prefer to take life advice from courage wolf

WTG! Those are some awesome results for your first month! Keep up the great work!
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Comment

That is awesome! My goal is a 12, I am one size away, but I have been stuck there for a while.
      Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Originally posted by NutMeg View Post
        That is awesome! My goal is a 12, I am one size away, but I have been stuck there for a while.
        I was looking at your body fat makeover and holy crap you've done awesomely too!

I hate plateaus don't you? Eventually you end up dropping more but it's so frustrating while you're in one. Hang in there!
        5 foot 5 female.
        Goal weight 150 (pre-pregnancy weight); Goal weight #2 135 (ideal); Newest goal? RIPPED. I WANNA BE RIPPED.

Comment

Originally posted by LessofMimi View Post
          WTG! Those are some awesome results for your first month! Keep up the great work!

Thanks so much! I see you're totally kicking ass too!
          5 foot 5 female.

Comment

Today I gathered up most of my maternity clothes and put them in a box. I would have set fire to them and danced around them joyously, but having another kid is not out of the realm of possibility. I was using them like a crutch, really. I still have some of my shirts, but I really just like them and they're not horrendously unflattering.

I also got a belt for the pants I bought a few weeks ago and some new underwear.

I've been eating a lot of coconut lately (Cream, flakes and oil), and I am starting to believe that it really does good things for your metabolism. After I eat some I feel like I am on fire for a few hours later.

And sleep has been a pain in the rear, or rather the tiny infant who sleeps next to me is going through a growth spurt. She nursed 7 times last night. Oh well, it won't always be this way.
            5 foot 5 female.

Comment

Sleeping hasn't been going so hot since my little one hit the 4 month sleep regression. She's suddenly too good for naps and she's waking up to eat at least 7 times a night. This baby stage doesn't last long, so I guess we'll just power through it.

Despite that the scale was down 2 more pounds this morning. I've been walking and maybe that's helping. I've also been meditating when I can't sleep.

This morning was cold and I really wanted a hot breakfast so I got some unsweetened coconut cream and mixed in some unsweetened shredded coconut, then I mixed in a packet of stevia and heated it up. It did the trick. I'm cool with a life without oats.
              5 foot 5 female.

Comment

Down to 169 today! I'm so glad to have finally broken the 170 barrier. I actually used a carb refeed (sweet potatoes!) to do it, but it was a very slight refeed. Normally I keep the carbs around 60-70, and I brought it up to about 150 for 2 days. It worked like a charm.

Some crazy stuff is happening with my period. It's a week late and I'm never late, but a HPT says negative. I'm only about 4.5 months postpartum and exclusively breastfeeding but it's been regular since 6 weeks pp. My body usually kicks butt at being regular. We've been using condoms, as I am SO over HBC. Like I need more hormones! Uggh. But I feel pregnant. I wonder if it's just paranoia. Maybe it's late because of all of the weight loss? IDK I hope it shows up because it would be mighty soon to be pregnant again.

I know this is whack but I think I would be sad if I'm not too... I am so cray cray
                Last edited by katzilla; 12-03-2010, 07:59 AM.
                5 foot 5 female.

Comment

Outstanding! Way to go!
                  sigpic

Signature Approved by Mark Sisson

Comment

Thanks Tawfunguy!
                    5 foot 5 female.

Comment

You're doing great! I'm so impressed that you've got your stuff together so soon after having a baby - took me 5 years almost!

(Pregnant now would suck though... keeping my fingers crossed for you.)

Comment

You know you've gone primal when your xmas list involves a cowshare and CSA.
                        5 foot 5 female.

Comment

Originally posted by spughy View Post
                          You're doing great! I'm so impressed that you've got your stuff together so soon after having a baby - took me 5 years almost!

(Pregnant now would suck though... keeping my fingers crossed for you.)
                          Thanks! I had this nagging feeling that if I didn't get my rear in gear soon that it would be harder to lose the rest later.

I hope I'm not. The tests say no but my period is still absent. I wonder if it's the diet change or something?
                          5 foot 5 female.

Comment

Things are going well with the primal-ness. I think I found a doctor that I would like to keep seeing. I had brought my infant in to talk about her allergies and the possibility of waiting to start solids and what foods I should introduce (We're waiting for a while, and we got blood tests yesterday which was awful) and he mentioned to me that there is absolutely no reason that any human should need grains or useless carbohydrates. I didn't mention being primal but later mentioned buying all our food and making everything from scratch and he applauded us for it. He said no one should eat processed shit ever. He's family practice so I am going to switch to him for my cholesterol issues and such.

Her allergies are terrible. She broke out in horrific sores after being exposed to one ounce Similac Allimentium (a so-called hypoallergenic formula.) Normally I have a milk stash for her but 2 months ago we had thrush and I had to trash my stash. Soon we will have the blood tests result back which will be extremely helpful if they show anything. They had to stick her 3 times and it took 25 minutes to get her blood. That poor baby.

I'm pretty sure I have celiac disease too, I tested it twice since going primal and both times left me absurdly sick. That pretty much saves me the temptation of cheating, no one wants to be chained to a toilet forever.

And I'm not pregnant, which is awesome. It would have been too soon, but we'd have made it work. At least now I don't have to worry about that.

Oh and the baby has been sleeping through the night which is AMAZING. I am sure that since I have now mentioned it she will stop sleeping ever again.
                            5 foot 5 female.

Comment

LOL yeah saying anything good about your child sleeping is DOOOOM!!!!!

So glad to hear you found an awesome doc - those are few and far between.

As far as solids for your baby goes - generally meat is the best thing to introduce first. It's the most completely digestible food, unlikely to cause reactions, and one of the few things that will provide your baby with MORE nutrition per ounce than breastmilk. Go with dark chicken meat, really soft stewed beef or lamb, or dark turkey meat. You want fatty bits. (Bone marrow is actually even more perfect.) Chicken livers are also really good. All of these things are soft enough that babies can eat them without them being pureed into goo. I strongly recommend letting your baby self-feed - it's the best way to ensure that she's eating what she wants, as much as she wants, and no more. Also, the routine of sitting there with a spoonful of food waiting for the little mouth to open gets very tired, very fast.

And as far as when to start - most babies end up making that decision on their own, by swiping some of mom or dad's food when they're not looking and stuffing it in their mouths! That's totally fine btw. But technically, solids should wait until baby has met most, if not all, the following milestones:

- has a tooth or two
                              - able to sit unassisted
                              - able to grasp food and convey it into the mouth
                              - displaying a desire to eat adult food

Actual age isn't so important as developmental readiness.

ETA: I should add that I am a trained post-partum doula (DONA), breastfeeding educator (Douglas College), and mother of a healthy 5-year-old, not just some random baby-trivia-obsessed internet personage. That doesn't mean you have to listen to what I blather on about though
                              Last edited by spughy; 12-14-2010, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X