Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skink's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fuck yeah, man! You're back! In a very, very eerie coincidence, today was my first day back at it with a serious workout: 75 kettlebell swings (55lb), with some stuff in between (dumbbell presses and jumping lunges and chin-ups and such). My legs are a bit achy for the first time in over six weeks. Thank fucking Christ for that. My bday is this coming weekend and I need to set my shit in gear. Felt good to take that first step again.

    Also, I'm very tired of winter. We had days of -40C for a bit last week. Fuck you, Canada!
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

    I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Patrick View Post
      Fuck yeah, man! You're back! In a very, very eerie coincidence, today was my first day back at it with a serious workout: 75 kettlebell swings (55lb), with some stuff in between (dumbbell presses and jumping lunges and chin-ups and such). My legs are a bit achy for the first time in over six weeks. Thank fucking Christ for that. My bday is this coming weekend and I need to set my shit in gear. Felt good to take that first step again.

      Also, I'm very tired of winter. We had days of -40C for a bit last week. Fuck you, Canada!
      I guess great minds think alike...or maybe we're just both the same kind of insane. I think if I had tried your workout to start off with i would have died 2 or 3 times during the workout.

      Oh...and happy (soon to be) birthday, old man! Birthdays do have a way of reminding us to get our shit together.

      -40C!!! I have no idea how cold that is, but it sounds bad.


      Edit: just checked...-40 C = -40 F? Can that be right? Either way, FUUUUUUUUUCK! That is serious "Frightened Turtle" weather.
      Last edited by skink531; 01-28-2013, 02:27 PM.
      My blog: My Primal Adventure

      "I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

      Comment


      • Let's just say that Celsius and Fahrenheit meet at -49.

        Thanks for the bday wishes! It should be awesome. Pictures are a certainty. Also, I started blogging again. Not aggressively, but thought I'd kick things off once more: A Year and a Day The Primal Mind
        August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

        I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

        Comment


        • Today's workout:

          30 pull-ups
          50 push-ups
          100 squats

          That's it. Still keeping it simple and not over doing it too soon. 3 months was a long time off. I'll have to work my way up to the old gust buster workouts. For right now it just feels good to be moving again. I hope the weather is good on saturday, I would like to do something with weights again. I've been missing the weights. Today at work I saw one of the 50 lb weights they use for calibrating the scales. I walked over and picked it up, and was tempted to do a couple of swings with it. It occurred to me that they might frown on that sort of behavior in the workplace and decided not to.
          My blog: My Primal Adventure

          "I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

          Comment


          • Talking with my daughter about school, and she told me something that bothered me. She said that kids are allowed, and almost encouraged, to bring there handheld video games in to use use during recess. Apparently all the other kids run to their locker and grab their Nintendo DS for recess. My daughter and one other girl are the only ones that don't. Don't kids fucking play anymore? Now my daughter's recess time suffers because the choice of activities are now limited due to no other kids playing. It's more than just the lack if activity that bothers me. These kids have no ability to use their imagination. Imagination is what turns into critical thinking skills later in life. Not only that, but recess was also about learning to interact and develope social skills. I'm not sure what part bothers me more, that the school allows it or that the parents send their kids to school today with video games.
            Last edited by skink531; 02-02-2013, 06:32 AM.
            My blog: My Primal Adventure

            "I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

            Comment


            • They encourage the use of those things? Holy hells, wtf? They shouldn't even be allowed. That is just freaking sad.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                They encourage the use of those things? Holy hells, wtf? They shouldn't even be allowed. That is just freaking sad.
                Yep...and we wonder why things are so fucked up these days.

                Well, no real workout today. I was going to, but got distracted. We had some snow today, so me and the 7 year went sled riding. I guess that counts as exercise of sorts. Apparently, according to my daughter, if I go down backwards on a saucer sled, wipe out, do a back flip, and nearly cause permanent physical damage...well that is just the funniest thing ever! I was moving pretty fast too. I caught some good air and kept sliding after impact. I guess I should thank this primal lifestyle for the fact that I'm in good enough physical condition to get up and laugh at something that a couple of years ago would have probably fucked me up good.

                I found this picture, and it explains how we are actually doing the world a favor by eating animals:

                My blog: My Primal Adventure

                "I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

                Comment


                • Yesterday's workout:

                  Max rounds in 15 minutes: 1 pull-up, 2 push-ups, 3 squats.

                  For something so shorts and simple, you really do get a good workout in. The weather has still been shitty here. Not as bad a Patrick has it, but still not good for getting outside for a workout.
                  My blog: My Primal Adventure

                  "I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

                  Comment


                  • I took a page from you, Dave: I did the ol' Men's Health Spartacus 10-exercise circuit and did it Tabata style. I did 20 sec on/10 off and then again for each. So it took me 10 minutes. Then I did it again after a 3 minute rest... but without the weights, except for one or two of them. Man it felt good! I think I was getting into really meh territory with all the pullups/pushups/squats stuff. I was making zero progress there. Today I felt like I pushed myself a bit.

                    I still keel over, though, when I do the kind of stuff you're doing with the max-rounds-in-X-minutes. I'd probably get 11 rounds done in what you posted above. Maybe not...
                    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

                    I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                      I took a page from you, Dave: I did the ol' Men's Health Spartacus 10-exercise circuit and did it Tabata style. I did 20 sec on/10 off and then again for each. So it took me 10 minutes. Then I did it again after a 3 minute rest... but without the weights, except for one or two of them. Man it felt good! I think I was getting into really meh territory with all the pullups/pushups/squats stuff. I was making zero progress there. Today I felt like I pushed myself a bit.

                      I still keel over, though, when I do the kind of stuff you're doing with the max-rounds-in-X-minutes. I'd probably get 11 rounds done in what you posted above. Maybe not...
                      Damn...I'm jealous of your workout. Unfortunately I have very limited space indoors for working out, but until the ground outside isn't either covered in snow or soggy from the melted snow I'm stuck being indoors. We're supposed to be getting a couple of feet of snow this weekend, so no good workouts in the near future. The straight body weight stuff definitely gets meh pretty quick, but no kettlebells allowed on the tile floors. Lets hope Punxsutawney Phil was right and spring is not far away.

                      Edit: Looks like I heard wrong. The big snow should hit well east of us, and we will only get a few showers. Still want spring here though.
                      Last edited by skink531; 02-07-2013, 11:01 AM.
                      My blog: My Primal Adventure

                      "I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

                      Comment


                      • Dude, pull your girls in a sled through the snow. Pull forward like an ox in a yoke, then walk backwards as though you're dragging it. You'll be working everything! And they'll be having fun.
                        August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

                        I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                          Dude, pull your girls in a sled through the snow. Pull forward like an ox in a yoke, then walk backwards as though you're dragging it. You'll be working everything! And they'll be having fun.
                          Oh, not to worry, we do a lot of that. In fact, ever since seeing the movie Balto, they love to yell "MUSH" while I pull them around. I just categorize that under Play, and not Workout. I miss picking up large bricks and throwing them, and I think I'm having some real separation anxiety going on without my kettlebells. Everyday on the way home from work I pass some old truck tires left on the side of the road. I'm determined to stop and get them one day. Can't wait t hit them with a sledgehammer.

                          Yesterday was going to be a workout day, but I had to cancel. the day before at work I took some digestive enzymes to the face and had a bad reaction. Imagine the feeling of someone putting lit cigarettes in your eyes and then smashing you in the face with a bat. Woke up with the eyes swollen shut and had to call off work. It went away after while and I'm good now. Tonight we are taking the girls to a winter carnival, so i'll get one in tomorrow.
                          My blog: My Primal Adventure

                          "I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by skink531 View Post
                            Talking with my daughter about school, and she told me something that bothered me. She said that kids are allowed, and almost encouraged, to bring there handheld video games in to use use during recess. Apparently all the other kids run to their locker and grab their Nintendo DS for recess. My daughter and one other girl are the only ones that don't. Don't kids fucking play anymore? Now my daughter's recess time suffers because the choice of activities are now limited due to no other kids playing. It's more than just the lack if activity that bothers me. These kids have no ability to use their imagination. Imagination is what turns into critical thinking skills later in life. Not only that, but recess was also about learning to interact and develope social skills. I'm not sure what part bothers me more, that the school allows it or that the parents send their kids to school today with video games.
                            Pretty typical nowadays. I never allowed the girls to have anything like this nor will I ever. We don't even own a gaming console.
                            Georgette

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by geostump View Post
                              Pretty typical nowadays. I never allowed the girls to have anything like this nor will I ever. We don't even own a gaming console.
                              That puts you in the "Good Parent" category. The rest are what is wrong with the country. And then they wonder why their kids are the way they are. We do have a Wii for the kids, but it is only for a once in a while thing. It isn't unusual for it to go a week or two without being turned on. The kids do love the dancing though. It's just sad when kids don't know how to use their imagination.
                              My blog: My Primal Adventure

                              "I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

                              Comment


                              • This is very true, it makes me wonder if the quality of writing/art etc will be far lower in the future due to this lack of imagination.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X