No announcement yet.

Skink's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I've been thinking(yep, thought I'd try something new). I now really love fitness. I love working out. In fact it has become a passion. I look at my workouts as part of my fun activities during the week, and the harder ones most of all. Reading Patrick's journal about his thoughts on work have got me thinking. Now don't get me wrong, I love what I do right now and would have a hard time picturing myself as not a cop. But I think I would like to work on doing something on the fitness side of things as well. Maybe even do something with it at my department. Now I know I still have quite a way to go improving myself before I'm ready to start improving others, but i think this may be a long term goal. I would love to do some kind of functional training(MovNat Style) type of thing. So first, whip myself into better shape. Second, get a certification like NSCA or something. Third, maybe an RKC kettlebell certification. I also think MovNat is going to start certifying people in the future, so that too. The next step would be to approach my department about it. Even if they aren't on-board it would be something I would like to do as a second job. It is kind of wierd, a little over a year ago I was this fat slob couch potato, and now I want to do this.

Like I said, I still have a ways to go on myself before I'm ready to make this happen. It's good to have goals though, right?
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

• That sounds brilliant, Dave! I say go for it! Like you said, you don't have to quit the force or anything. This is something you can get settled into over time.

And yes, MovNat has a kind of certification process, but I'm not sure how in depth it is or whatnot. However, I know that some of their seminars are done by people other than Vic and Erwan, so there are certified instructors out there. Toronto had one a few weekends ago, for instance.
      August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

• Today's workout:

Warm-up of putting together the smaller bulgarian bag.

Tabata Snatches
        Tabata Swings
        Push-ups 25,17,11
        Kettlebell Clean and Press, 4 sets of 8
        Bulgarian Bag Cleans into a Front Squat, 5 sets of 10
        Bulgarian bag thrown over shoulder(alternating side), 2 seta of 10
        Walking Lunges w/Bulgarian bag, 4 sets of 15

In a little bit I will have a dinner of leftovers and a salad.

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

• Breakfast today of 3 scrambled eggs with sage sausage, topped with roasted garlic salsa. 3 large cups of coffee this morning. For dinner later I will polish off the rest of the leftovers. I work tonight, so more coffee will be coming later, but no food until tomorrow. That's my version of IF. I don't stick to a tight schedule like the lean gains model, although I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I just let my IF's fall where they may and last as long as the last. I'll see if I can get a nap in later, but probably not. My first day back usually ends up being a 24 hour day. I know it isn't good, it's just how it always works out.

Just thought I share this. These jeans used to be very snug on me.

Comment

• Just thought I share this. These jeans used to be very snug on me.

@ Skink...Wow! You only fill them half way. You've lost half of yourself....

How much are you down now? And how long have you been primal???
            If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
            James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Comment

• Originally posted by nachobrawler View Post
              @ Skink...Wow! You only fill them half way. You've lost half of yourself....

How much are you down now? And how long have you been primal???
              Yeah, I really need to buy some new jeans, but i'm cheap.

I've been at a steady 178 for a little while now. I say that almost sounding disappointed, but having started at 250 I should shut the fuck up and be happy. I wish I had gotten my body fat percentage measured when I started so I could really tell what the change is. I know I've put on some muscle, so I wish I could know how much actual fat weight I've lost.

Comment

• Oh, and I went Primal about a year and 3 or 4 months ago. Not blazingly fast weight lose, but steady.

Comment

• From 250 to 178 in a little over a year is flat-out fucking awesome. The end.

PS: Definitely get some new jeans, sir.
                  August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

• Originally posted by skink531 View Post
                    Oh, and I went Primal about a year and 3 or 4 months ago. Not blazingly fast weight lose, but steady.
                    Hey, we went Primal around the same time! I think if I'd lost that much weight I'd A) be dead and B ) would hafta stand in the same place 3 times to cast a shadow.
                    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                    My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                      Hey, we went Primal around the same time! I think if I'd lost that much weight I'd A) be dead and B ) would hafta stand in the same place 3 times to cast a shadow.
                      HAHA, yeah, we may have started at the same time, but at very different physical starting points.

And Patrick, yes, come payday i am going to break down and get some new pants. I might even get a shirt or 2 that fits.

Comment

• Skink...I second what Patrick said. 250 to 178 in a year is exactly what this lifestyle is about! Damn man, 72 lbs! Holy Christ...

But how did you not buy new clothes between then and now? Especially pants? You couldnt possibly wear those big ass jeans anymore....they are twice your size in the waist.

Anyway, yes man, get some new clothes. You deserve it...

Damn Man 72 lbs!

Comment

• Originally posted by nachobrawler View Post
                          Skink...I second what Patrick said. 250 to 178 in a year is exactly what this lifestyle is about! Damn man, 72 lbs! Holy Christ...

But how did you not buy new clothes between then and now? Especially pants? You couldnt possibly wear those big ass jeans anymore....they are twice your size in the waist.

Anyway, yes man, get some new clothes. You deserve it...

Damn Man 72 lbs!
                          Thanks. Yeah, gonna gets some clothes that fit. Right now I just have to leave my shirt untucked so you can't see the pants. Oh, and I have to make sure I have a really good belt to hold them up. Come to think of it, when I get new pants I'll get a belt that doesn't have holes I punched in it myself.

It is convenient to not have to undo my pants to take them off though.

Comment

• I'm pretty fucking tired right now. 6 hours down, 6 hours to go. Just picked up a big-ass coffee(Mmmm...gas station coffee) so that should help a little. Note to self: staying awake for 24 hours is not good to do(and not very primal).

Comment

• So, Skink, you are on patrol at night? I didnt recall that you were a police officer. Thats fantastic man. And you are patroling the streets of Ft. Lauderdale at night? I bet you see some F--ed up shit. I dont think its come up before anywhere else so I'll tell you now, I lived in South Florida for 3 years. From 96-99. I lived in and around Boynton Beach (off of Gateway Ave). At the time, I loved living in Florida. But I am so glad we moved here to NC. I love it here.

Hope you recover...get some sleep....

Comment

• So I tried on a pair of jeans today to see what size I wear now. I tried on some size 33 waist jeans and they were just a tad bit loose. I gotta say, I was a little surprized.

Today's workout:

Tabata of Kettlebell snatches
                                2 sets each side of 5 swings, 5 snatches, 5 high-pulls, 5 cleans, 5 clean and press, 5 lunges
                                Dumbell rows, 3 sets of 10
                                Sandbag Thrusters, 6 sest of 10
                                Push-ups, 3 sets to failure

Food has all been primal, nothing special to speak of.

Comment

Working...
                                X