No announcement yet.

Skink's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goldie...now you're just making everyone jealous.

Geo, where the he'll have you been!

Look at this. Geo and Patrick back at the same time. Now we just need canio and nacho back and it will be like old times.

Hey Patrick, have you thought of reviving your blog to chronicle your adventures?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

• I think I came to realization. I was listen to a podcast where Robb Wolf was interviewing coach Chris Sommers from Gymnastics Bodies. He was talking about how and why people injure their joints. He made the point the the muscles adapt to the loads faster than the connective tissues do. It ends up that when you move up the weights quickly because your muscles can handle it, the connective tissue in the joints isn't ready for the increased load and ends up being the weak link that breaks. Well, what was I doing right before I started having the shoulder pain? I was trying to go as heavy as possible to try and move up my dead-lift weight. And not just in dead-lifts. I was doing it with all the other lifts too(including bench and overhead presses). So as I tried moving the weights as heavy as I could as quickly as I could just because the muscles could do it, eventually my shoulder said "Fuck this shit. Time to slow this asshole down." Sommers had said the connective tissue runs about 3 months or so behind in adapting to the load. He mentioned keeping people at the lighter weight until it was basically like doing nothing at all for them. Then when he would have them increase the weight it was usually a major jump in weight, but the joints where now ready.

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

• I've heard that before, Dave. And the, er, more not-young you get, the longer it takes for the connective tissue to catch up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post
          And the, er, more not-young you get
          My mental age still hasn't caught up to my physical age.

Comment

• Originally posted by skink531 View Post
            I think I came to realization. I was listen to a podcast where Robb Wolf was interviewing coach Chris Sommers from Gymnastics Bodies. He was talking about how and why people injure their joints. He made the point the the muscles adapt to the loads faster than the connective tissues do. It ends up that when you move up the weights quickly because your muscles can handle it, the connective tissue in the joints isn't ready for the increased load and ends up being the weak link that breaks. Well, what was I doing right before I started having the shoulder pain? I was trying to go as heavy as possible to try and move up my dead-lift weight. And not just in dead-lifts. I was doing it with all the other lifts too(including bench and overhead presses). So as I tried moving the weights as heavy as I could as quickly as I could just because the muscles could do it, eventually my shoulder said "Fuck this shit. Time to slow this asshole down." Sommers had said the connective tissue runs about 3 months or so behind in adapting to the load. He mentioned keeping people at the lighter weight until it was basically like doing nothing at all for them. Then when he would have them increase the weight it was usually a major jump in weight, but the joints where now ready.
            That all makes sense to me. I can see how increasing the weights I was using, especially in light of my CP, may have played a part in my shoulder issues.

I think "the add more weight every X days/workouts" premise might be over sold. This is especially relevant for people over 40, IMO.

In other news, I still have a long way to go--including possible surgery-- but I eccentrically used a 2 lb weight today during PT. I have been forbidden to touch weights until today and still can't outside of PT. My therapist also sees improvement in my range of movement.

My frustration with the limitations I'm faced with was obvious today, during PT. And, this is from someone who has a lifetime of dealing (successfully for the most part) with limitations.

Skinks, when do you start PT? And FWIW, I also have AC impingement issues and taping helps tremendously.

Comment

• Thanks. That is great information about connective tissue injuries.
              Primal since 9/24/2010
              "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
              MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

My mental age still hasn't caught up to my physical age.
                I doubt it ever will, it hasn't for me anyway....

Good info on the joints, and thanks for that for that heartening snippet G....

Comment

• Been away for a little bit. We took the kids camping for the weekend and I used the time for a 3 day unplug. No TV, cell phones, computers, or anything else digital allowed. I expected the kids to be Jonesing for TV, but on the last day they were saying "Do we have to go home?" It was a very primal weekend. Lots of hiking, did some fishing with the kids(didn't catch anything, though), paddle-boating, and plenty of grilling meat over the fire on sticks. And in case you didn't know, yes...you can grill steak on a stick.

Yesterday and today had my first PT appointments. First day was easy. First half was asking questions and taking measurements, and then did some light exercises. Today was a little more exercise followed by some massage and them stretching and twisting me around. At the end they were saying "I guess we beat you up enough for today", but I was actually thinking "well that was the warm-up, what's next?" I'll probably go for anther week and then ask where I get get some of those elastic bands and do it myself.

So, I was taking a walk during my lunch break today. I walk past a church were they have day care and summer bibles study classes. The kids go outside and draw on the sidewalk with chalk. This was what I found.

Satin is a nice fabric and all, but I wouldn't say I "HEART" it. Anyone who know me will tell you that I am all for blasphemy, but please learn to spell.

Comment

• Awesome. Lol
                    Primal since 9/24/2010
                    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Comment

Been away for a little bit. We took the kids camping for the weekend and I used the time for a 3 day unplug. No TV, cell phones, computers, or anything else digital allowed. I expected the kids to be Jonesing for TV, but on the last day they were saying "Do we have to go home?" It was a very primal weekend. Lots of hiking, did some fishing with the kids(didn't catch anything, though), paddle-boating, and plenty of grilling meat over the fire on sticks. And in case you didn't know, yes...you can grill steak on a stick.

Yesterday and today had my first PT appointments. First day was easy. First half was asking questions and taking measurements, and then did some light exercises. Today was a little more exercise followed by some massage and them stretching and twisting me around. At the end they were saying "I guess we beat you up enough for today", but I was actually thinking "well that was the warm-up, what's next?" I'll probably go for anther week and then ask where I get get some of those elastic bands and do it myself.

So, I was taking a walk during my lunch break today. I walk past a church were they have day care and summer bibles study classes. The kids go outside and draw on the sidewalk with chalk. This was what I found.

Satin is a nice fabric and all, but I wouldn't say I "HEART" it. Anyone who know me will tell you that I am all for blasphemy, but please learn to spell.
                      Comparing Satin to Silk........ texture-wise, Satin deserves a 666 so they may actually have a point there..... but I'm all for blasphey as well

Comment

• Have you been "tooled" yet? Being tooled has left me bruised for over a week, more than once.

And, I've never been told, "I guess we beat you up enough for today". But then again, I have made it clear I will put up with/ do anything to avoid surgery.

My understanding is this- PT should work to determine what, mechanically, caused the issues, teach you ways to /help you fix your issues, and show you ways to prevent re-occurrence in the future.

It is nothing like the exercise routine I've done at home I didn't touch a weight for 6+ weeks, then it was only 2lbs, and only eccentrically. I made it clear I felt like a wimp.

I also have impingement issues. The things that have helped me most, in order of benefit:
                        1. being taped
                        2. being tooled
                        3. massaging/tooling up or down the chain-- for me that means manipulating the neck and thoracic spine area

All that being said, I have had a number of physical therapists for different reasons-- knee pain, hamstring/sciatic numbness-- and none, outside of my current therapist, looked beyond symptom relief and/or teaching exercises to alleviate symptoms. I wish my past therapist would have looked past symptoms/my CP and looked at/for causational probabilities and long term solutions. If they had done those things maybe I would not be where I am today.

Don't be afraid to find a different PT that will address the cause of your issues. This last time PT was suggested , after voicing my skepticism, I was told that if I didn't see improvement in 3 weeks I should try a new PT. Luckily my skepticism lead to a referral to my present therapist.

Comment

• another week away, but i'm back. I'm going to give the PT 1 appointment and then take care of it on my own. Marcadav,I don't think I have ever been tooled, at least they have never mentioned it. By the sound of it, I hope i never am. To be honest, one afternoon of watching mobilityWOD videos has taught me more than anything. I picked up some really good exercises for un-impinging, and some involve kettlebells(woohoo!). He really hammered home that posture is huge component. I had a feeling that no matter what exercises I did, it would not erase sitting at a desk hunched over a keyboard all day. I have been asking at work for a while to get me a standing desk and have been met with laughter each time. The reason I was asking is that I have to see people at my desk and was thinking something designed for it would look more professional. Well, on friday i finally lost patients and went around the office raiding whatever i could find to make my own. After a couple of other attempts this was the final product:

It may not be pretty, but it gets the job done. The response in the office was pretty funny. I started telling all the people that came walking by that "It's 25 cents to see the freak."

Comment

• That is great Dave. It is important to take care of yourself.

I want to get a lectern for my classroom. I am on my feet a lot, but that would allow me to do a lot more while standing. Maybe I could build one and put it on wheels.
                            Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

• Today's workout: Quick and Dirty

3 rounds of 20 swings, 10 push-ups, 10 pull-ups - no stooping
                              2 minute rest
                              2 rounds of same thing.

First real workout in a while, so I knew it couldn't be anything too big and fancy. It was nice to move and get a sweat going. I found I don't have shoulder trouble if I stay real strict with the form on the push-ups(No shit, right?). I bought some elastic bands to do the PT stuff, so I'll keep up with that. I'll lay off the over head presses a little while longer too.

I've been messing around a little lately with food. I had been messing around with carb manipulation, doing the VLC with 1 big carb refeed. I'm not sure I was seeing what I wanted to see. I listened to an interview with Paul Jaminet by Robb Wolf. It got me thinking I should reintroduce some more starch into my diet and see how I feel. I am trying to keep the majority of it in the evenings. I do feel good with just fat and protein in the early part of the day. I have been doing 1 to 2 cups of rice with dinner. 1) I like rice. 2) It's cheap. 3) I do think I feel better with it more regularly.

Today was a big day. My oldest got her ears pierced. She went with lady bug ear rings. You can't go wrong with the lady bug. We had been telling her she could do it when she turns 9, and she will be 9 later this month. On monday, another part of her b-day present and a late one for the youngest, we will be going to Kennywood. My oldest is an adrenaline junky and loves the roller-coasters. I'll do my best with food, but I make no promises at an amusement park.

Comment

• Good ideas to take care of the shoulder, Dave! It sounds like you have a good PT.

Nice workstation! My boss had some back issues, and he has an actual desk in an office (not a cube) so he doesn't have the monitor arms like the rest of us. He had to put his monitors on copier paper boxes, and used an AV cart for his keyboard. His looked about as "professional" as yours, but it worked! I work for the feds, and they have a safety/ergonomics person who will approve buying the appropriate equipment if you provide enough documentation that you have some sort of medical necessity for it. Unfortunately, the boss' temporary back problem and my desire for a healthier lifestyle don't fit the criteria of "medical necessity".

I got my ears pierced when I was 12; my cousin and I were allowed by our moms to do it then. My first earring were butterflies! Be sure she keeps them clean until they heal, they can hurt like a sonuvagun if they get infected.

I'm also an adrenaline junky, as are my kids. Last week, me and youngest daughter took a flying trapeze lesson. It was a blast! Have fun at Kennywood!

Comment

Working...
                                X