No announcement yet.

Skink's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOL I wear chucks for squatting and deadlifting!

I work out on base 2 or 3 times a week. In the free weight area I often see the same guy. He always wears light blue sweatpants and the same dingy white t-shirt, and ancient Nikes. He always has "bed head", and not the guy-fashion kind of bed head; the just-got-out-of-bed-and-didn't-comb-my-hair kind of bed head.

He does weird lifts. Last week I saw him do 1/4 squats--that is, he went down only 1/4 of the way, not even close to parallel. And then he did behind-the-leg deadlifts. I have never seen anyone do that kind of thing. Both of those lifts he did with a total of 75 pounds. I don't know how many of each he did, but it wasn't that many.

I guess I should give him credit for doing something, but... whatever it is, it isn't working. He's definitely a skinny-fat body type.

I wonder what behind-the-leg deadlifts are supposed to accomplish? It looked dangerous except he didn't have much weight on the bar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post
      LOL I wear chucks for squatting and deadlifting!

I work out on base 2 or 3 times a week. In the free weight area I often see the same guy. He always wears light blue sweatpants and the same dingy white t-shirt, and ancient Nikes. He always has "bed head", and not the guy-fashion kind of bed head; the just-got-out-of-bed-and-didn't-comb-my-hair kind of bed head.

He does weird lifts. Last week I saw him do 1/4 squats--that is, he went down only 1/4 of the way, not even close to parallel. And then he did behind-the-leg deadlifts. I have never seen anyone do that kind of thing. Both of those lifts he did with a total of 75 pounds. I don't know how many of each he did, but it wasn't that many.

I guess I should give him credit for doing something, but... whatever it is, it isn't working. He's definitely a skinny-fat body type.

I wonder what behind-the-leg deadlifts are supposed to accomplish? It looked dangerous except he didn't have much weight on the bar.

The behind the leg deadlift kind of sounds like a hack squat. The thing is though, if you can't handle doing standard back squats with good form you have no business doing anything else until you learn what the fuck you're doing. I see guys in the squat rack and just want to yell "GET YOUR ASS BELOW PARALLEL, MOTHER FUCKER!!!"

does this look like what he was doing.

My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

• Originally posted by skink531 View Post
        ...and just want to yell "GET YOUR ASS BELOW PARALLEL, MOTHER FUCKER!!!"
        Ohhh I SO wanted to yell this! But, y'know, with the way he looks, I'm kinda afraid he'd go Hannibal Lector on me!

Comment

I'm kinda afraid he'd go Hannibal Lector on me!
          Just tell him you're not grass-fed, so your liver would be high in omega 6.

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

• So...um...Dave. Lately, there are a lot of threads on MDA about showing off legs and butts. Ya know, for inspiration. Several of us including Goldie, me, doc and DD have recently posted progress pics on those threads or in our journals.

I was thinking that we haven't seen a pic of you in ages. How about it?

PS did you go take care of that little rat in PA? 6 more weeks. The bastard.
            Primal since 9/24/2010
            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
              Yes, most definitely +1 this!

Comment

So...um...Dave. Lately, there are a lot of threads on MDA about showing off legs and butts. Ya know, for inspiration. Several of us including Goldie, me, doc and DD have recently posted progress pics on those threads or in our journals.

PS did you go take care of that little rat in PA? 6 more weeks. The bastard.
                Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                Yes, most definitely +1 this!
                HAHA...we'll see. I've said before that my ugly mug could crash the MDA server, and since I haven't seen the sun in I don't how long and am fish-belly white...well I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I'll see what I can do once the sun comes back.

Comment

He does weird lifts. Last week I saw him do 1/4 squats--that is, he went down only 1/4 of the way, not even close to parallel.
                  No clue re: the rest of the lifts that guy was doing, but I've read about (and watched) Tim Ferriss doing 1/4 deadlifts. Might not even be 1/4. It was a lift from knee/lower thigh height. He was using a lot of weight, though, and kept increasing it. It wasn't 75 lb. But that was his entire workout.

There's something to the shorter, tighter movements. Apparently that's how a 12-year-old girl worked up to a 350 lb deadlift or something crazy like that. I'll see if I can find that info. I'm all about getting the most out of very little when I can!
                  August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

• My trainer sometimes has me do rack pulls... deadlifts from a rack setting the bar just at my knee height. This is for lower back muscles, and yeah, you use heavy weight for it.

I don't think there's any benefit to partial squats with such a light load, unless maybe you're recovering from some sort of injury? If that was the case, I don't think this guy would be doing behind-the-legs deadlifts. And there's a hack squat bar at the gym, *if* you know how to use it--if that was his intention. I think he just doesn't have a clue and is just doing the motions.

Comment

• Today's workout:

Shoveling snow...twice.

Did I mention I hate winter. It looked as if the snow had stopped so I started shoveling. As I was about 2/3 of the way done it started snowing hard again, so I got to start all over.

Comment

• LMAO. That is awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by skink531 View Post
                          Today's workout:

Shoveling snow...twice.

Did I mention I hate winter. It looked as if the snow had stopped so I started shoveling. As I was about 2/3 of the way done it started snowing hard again, so I got to start all over.

where is the like button for this! Awesome!
                          LOL

Comment

• I hear another storm is coming for Thursday. I wonder which one of us will get pounded. Maybe both?
                            Primal since 9/24/2010
                            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• I can't take another snow storm. I actually think a lot of my depression is SAD related right now. This winter makes me want to move to South America.
                              Georgette

Comment

I hear another storm is coming for Thursday. I wonder which one of us will get pounded. Maybe both?
                                lol.... I wonder where my devious mind could take this.....

Comment

Working...
                                X