No announcement yet.

Skink's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its a nice day out today. Warm(but not too hot) and breezy. Just watching my daughter run around the backyard while I soak up some vitamin d. I feel pretty damn good today. Glands still swollen, but feel good other than that. I felt good enough to want to workout today, but convinced myself not to. Another day of rest might be a good idea just to make sure.

Last night for dinner I had a rib-eye steak(that I couldn't finish) and some sliced tomatoe with fresh mozzerella and sweet basil, drizzled with EVOO and balsamic vinegar. The basil was from my own garden . It appears I have eliminated the iguana problem(thank god).

Breakfast today some ground pork sausage with onions, tomaotoes, and basil, mixed into scambled eggs. Along with 2 cups of coffee with cinnamon. Thanks Nacho, that was a good idea. I got the saigon cinnamon, don't know if that is the best kind or what. Anyone know about cinnamon?

For dinner tonight I'm going to make meatloaf. I'm never quite sure how to seaon it. I just make it up as I go. Going to make some sweet potato fries to go with it. I baked a bunch of bacon up today. My wife thought I was sweet since that helps her not to eat a bunch of junk if I have PB snacks on hand. Should I tell her I just really like cooking the sweet potato fries in bacon grease?

Tommorow I'm doing a bbq brisket in the crock pot. Found the recipe on a paleo website, can't remember which one right now. If you haven't noticed, I like to do the cooking in the house.

Just palced another order for the good beef. I put some steaks in this order, I have no doubt they will be good.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

• Ok, do you sprinkle the cinnamon into the coffee or put a stick in it while brewing?
      Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by geostump View Post
        Ok, do you sprinkle the cinnamon into the coffee or put a stick in it while brewing?
        I sprinkle mine in after brewing. Much quicker that way and my time in the morning is at a severe premium.

But I would think you might be on to something Geo. If Cinnamon was put in WITH the coffee grounds it may make the flavor better overall.....??????

Although, then the scientist in me comes back to the front:

If the cinnamon is not chopped or grated fine enough it wont pass through the pores of the coffee filter and will thus be filtered out....rendering the addition of cinnamon in that method useless.

So, has anyone ever tried this? If so, does it work and does the flavor of the cinnamon seep through the pores/membrane of the coffee filter??? Or does the coffee filter filter it out?

Sounds like an experiment needs to happen at my house....
        If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
        James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Comment

• Hell, I may be willing to try it out too Nacho. I just hope Stumpy doesn't have a freak out moment.
          Georgette

Comment

• Yep, I sprinkled mine right into the cup. I pre-mixed it with some heavy cream so it wouldn't be clumpy and then poured the coffee in. I liked it. I would think any way you get it in there is good. I read that the saigon kind I got is less sweet, but has a rich flavor and is loaded with lots of the good stuff cinnamon is supposed to have.

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

• Cinnamon should work well with my coconut milk/oil vanilla concoction.
              Georgette

Comment

• I think I'll try mine tomorrow with the heavy cream and cinnamon. FYI- I just drank some heavy cream from the carton. So good.

What else do y'all use heavy cream for?

Comment

• I love heavy cream in my coffee. I don't really use it for much else. Maybe a little in the eggs when making an omlette. My wife likes it over berries.

Comment

• I'm going with black coffee for a while, so I'm liking this cinnamon idea. Hmmm...
                    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

• Made the meatloaf tonight. Experimented with the seasoning. It came out kind of meh. It was ok, but nothing to right home about. But to my surprise my oldest daughter ate it. She is the pickiest eater on the planet. Sure she put plenty of ketchup on it. Its not the worst ketchup, no HFCS. And beside, it got her eating grass fed beef. She didn't go for the sweet potato fries, though. Its ok, they didn't go to waste.

Reading through everyones journals, I see everyone is planning to really crack down with their eating kick start their results. I guess I'm no different. I have been happy with the exercize side of things and how that is going, but I seem to have stalled a little more in the fat loss then I am happy with. I know what I'm eating isn't the problem. My only dairy is the cream in my coffee, the occassional bit of cheese once or twice a month, and grass fed butter(which I don't really see a problem with). I don't eat nuts. Fruit is rare. I eliminated nightshade once before and didn't see a change, so I added them back. The problem I have is I enjoy the food I make too much. I eat a lot. I don't stop when satiated. I stop when I'm stuffed. That is my problem. I love food. I'm still not going to be into calorie counting, but I do need to cut back my portion sizes back to normal human amounts. I would like to point out that only on PB foods could a person eat as much as I have been and NOT gain any weight.

So that is my plan. To join the rest of you and get serious with a plan to do better. To be honest I have been feeling like a bit of a glutten lately anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by skink531 View Post
                        Reading through everyones journals, I see everyone is planning to really crack down with their eating kick start their results. I guess I'm no different. I have been happy with the exercize side of things and how that is going, but I seem to have stalled a little more in the fat loss then I am happy with.
                        Sometimes you really have to hammer through a plateau, and that means adding something new (sprints or IFing, say) or removing something (dairy, nuts, whatever). Not sure if that's where I'm at -- feels like it! -- but gunna see what cracking down does for me.

Originally posted by skink531 View Post
                        The problem I have is I enjoy the food I make too much. I eat a lot. I don't stop when satiated. I stop when I'm stuffed. That is my problem. I love food. I'm still not going to be into calorie counting, but I do need to cut back my portion sizes back to normal human amounts. I would like to point out that only on PB foods could a person eat as much as I have been and NOT gain any weight.
                        I have to force myself to stop and give things a few minutes after most meals. Over the last month, though, I'm like you: a ravenous beast!
                        August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

• Skink...here is one area where we are different. I dont eat until Im stuffed anymore. I have no problem stopping. As an example, last night I drank about 3/4 of a cup of heavy cream before dinner (it was there and I thought..."why not"). And then made some hot sausage to eat with a salad. Well, after drinking the cream I wasnt hungry at all. So, the sausages didnt get eaten and I only ate a small salad for dinner. I could, however, probably get away with a smaller portion size. And Im reserving that for my last option hopefully when I make it to 10% BF. I have been a little loose with the dairy lately (hence...the cream).Im going to get rid of dairy again, as well as the alchohol, and see if that puts things in a faster gear.

I hear you on the calorie counting. I HATE that and I will only do that as a last resort....

Comment

• Yeah, Nacho, this is a lesson I could learn from you. I would have some how rationalized that I cooked the sausage so I had better eat it. But I will do better. And hell, its not like my "smaller" portions are all that small. Most people would still concider them to be a hearty meal.

Comment

• Breakfast today was 3 eggs scrambled and 6 strips of bacon. To give a comparison, the other day I ate 5 eggs and 10-12 strips of bacon. See, totally stuffed myself with the thinking its ok cuz its primal food and I don't each lunch so its all good. 3 eggs and 6 pieces of bacon is still a good sized meal. I'm not feeling any hungrier than ussual and didn't need to add lunch. The eating normal sizes appears to working.

Exercize today:

50 burpees
                              Double kettlebell clean and press 5 sets of 10
                              Kettlebell swings 2 sets of 25
                              Push-ups. 4 sets. 1st 2 stopped just before failure, set 3 to failure, set 4 dropped to the knees to failure
                              Front squats with sandbag 4 sets of 10
                              Chin-ups 3 sets of 6

Tried to keep the rest times between all the sets to a minimum. Just enough to catch my breath.

Comment

• Originally posted by skink531 View Post
                                Breakfast today was 3 eggs scrambled and 6 strips of bacon. To give a comparison, the other day I ate 5 eggs and 10-12 strips of bacon. See, totally stuffed myself with the thinking its ok cuz its primal food and I don't each lunch so its all good. 3 eggs and 6 pieces of bacon is still a good sized meal. I'm not feeling any hungrier than ussual and didn't need to add lunch. The eating normal sizes appears to working.
                                I think this was part of my problem when I wasn't seeing any changes. Eating too much of primal foods just because it was primal. I would sometimes eat 2 platefuls of food at a sitting. Between that and too much fat being digested. Now I tell myself its ok to be a little hungry after I eat. Odd things now that I tell myself to not overeat.
                                Georgette

Comment

Working...
                                X