No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Knifegill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't full out sprint, my ankles felt mushy so I ran fast for a few blocks after work to break them back in. Might do it again tomorrow, then an actual sprint the next day.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I work out just enough to keep a healthy heart and look nice. I acknowledge that I'm somewhat lazy, partly because my job takes a huge toll on me, pushing a 172-pound cart around corners and back and forth, push, pull, 10 hour night shifts for 8 to 11 days in a row, etc. takes a lot of my spunk off the top to start with. But most of what I do to max intensity is too infrequent to need any dietary adjustments, as far as I can tell. I just went for a walk, ran just a little on the way back, did a bunch of heavy lifting with my boulder and my body is putting off keto stench like mad. So why mess that up by eating at all? And especially by suddenly throwing a bunch of carbohydrate at my already fat-burning system! I look good, feel overall great and do it all staying mostly VLC, as in less than 50g per day most of the week. And, of course, my labs are great as of last check. Just throwing this out there as a picture for people who don't have the luxury of going for daily bike rides, joining clubs, etc. You can be healthy, strong-ish and look good naked without much effort - if you're like me or process these foods the way my body does. I don't know exactly what I'm trying to say, except after three years of mostly being VLC, it's still awesome.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I realized tonight as I was lying in bed, if ICP is Insane Clown Posse, then IBS is Insane Brown Saucey.
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Icky Blue Stuff
          Depression Lies

Comment

Hee hee. Haven't seen any blue yet, just white fluffy things and red streaks... Maybe you were hanging with blue man group...
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Tried a white potato. And it actually went through me! Held things up for two days, created quite a pressure cannon, but only slight discomfort. So I'm having another potato, with my chicken hearts and carrot, onion soup. Potato is chopped up in the soup so it gets distributed evenly in the poop. I don't want it all in one spot clogging things up. I'm just trying to get it snuck down to my large intestine to hopefully repopulate my critters.

When I first went "healthy" I was eating raw kale, raw squash, all kinds of fruit peels, everything - basically what a hungry wild person would do in my mind. I was turning spinach into solid green stools back then. Now, after over a year of avoiding veggies largely, they just blow through undigested.

I want to be able to digest uncooked wild foraged food again. That was a darn useful ability.

EDIT:Lol, wrong words up in there!
              Last edited by Knifegill; 10-21-2013, 10:56 PM.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Hey knife.

Have you tried cold potatoes? Cold and uncooked potatoes are the stuff that supposedly repopulates critters. Resistant starch.

Potatoes and other starches didn't work well for me personally. Even cold potatoes. Hence I ended up fueling up on fruits a la peat. If potatoes continue to give you problems I would try fruits/juices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                ------
                HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Thanks! I have, so far, let the potatoes cool off.

I see tons of stuff online about people with autoimmune crap (like myself) failing to reintroduce starchy foods, after all sorts of "gut-healing" protocols. There is a chance that some people might just have to avoid starches in general for their lives.

I do eat dried fruit and fruit snacks, and fresh fruits on occasion and they give me no trouble. But they also cause instant tooth scum.

Some of the advantages I'm already missing from low-carb:

Staying full.

Clean teeth.

Even-keeled moods. I've been a little more up and down lately, something I'd forgotten low-carb had fixed.

Coconut milk in my coffee. Man that's good.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Sushi might be a good way to get resistant starch; white rice is pretty benign for most people. It's expensive, though, so you can just make a bowl of the ingredients and eat it like that instead of buying it or the ingredients to do the traditional rolls.
                    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Hmm...worth a go! Next grocery day I might look into that.
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                        Clean teeth.
                        Try oil-pulling with coconut oil, 20mn / day before brushing your teeth or first thing in the morning.

Comment

Staying full: I had a much harder time at the beginning of reintroducing carbs. Now I am almost back to 2-3 meals a day. Gelatin helps a lot. Now when I get hungry it is mostly because I am insanely full during dinner for about 500 cals and I had also weight trained that day. Later I will probably eat more before bed. I would recommend hydrolyxate gelatin and add it to drinks.

Mood: I find that low carb makes me have an even temper... But I also never get euphorically happy either. On carbs I am really happy for no good reason again.

Coconut milk: you can still drink some. No need to cut fat to 0%. I use trader Joe's light coconut milk and go through quite a bit of it until I figure out how to drink milk again (lactose intolerant now after cutting it out long time ago due to CW healthy).

I am still getting a decent amount of fat in. About 2-4 eggs a day, beef or lamb (not always the leanest cuts), and then light coconut milk. Just no bulletproof coffee or massive amounts of nuts. Also I stopped buying bacon.
                          I find cutting fat too low makes me develop cravings for fatty junk food like ice cream and milk chocolate.

Today I ate (training day, so tons of food at dinner)
                          -4 types of tea
                          -Lite coconut milk, gelatin & coffee x2 until 1pm
                          -1 piece lamb shoulder, 2 eggs scrambled with 1/2 cup egg whites & 1/2 tbsp gelatin in 1-2 tsp ghee for lunch
                          -maybe 8oz gelatinous beef from neckbones (picked out of my pot of bone broth made with these meaty bones) for dinner/before bed.
                          -10-12oz 1% cottage cheese with cinnamon
                          -1 slice of pumpkin custard (made with gelatin, eggs, pumpkin purée, spices, sugar, maple syrup)
                          -2 12oz bottles of oj (one before gym; one after)
                          -1 or 2 slices of pineapple

Tomorrow I will be more conservative (meat, melon, egg white, cottage cheese) since I am not training.

I try to eat my fat/protein earlier during the day and more carbs around dinner. Helps with sleep, workout recovery, and with curbing hunger throughout the day. Also it is like a 24 hr carb cycling regiment.

Last edited by turquoisepassion; 10-21-2013, 11:23 PM.
                          ------
                          HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                            Sushi might be a good way to get resistant starch; white rice is pretty benign for most people. It's expensive, though, so you can just make a bowl of the ingredients and eat it like that instead of buying it or the ingredients to do the traditional rolls.
                            It is pretty easy to make a roll. I did it... It wasn't pretty but I did it. It was mostly not cutting it with a sushi knife that made it ugly.

------

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                              It is pretty easy to make a roll. I did it... It wasn't pretty but I did it. It was mostly not cutting it with a sushi knife that made it ugly.

Haha, I've made some funky little rolls before too. Not too hard but definitely not as pretty as sushi chefs make them! Jagged edges when sliced. I made all of Japan cry.
                              | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                                Haha, I've made some funky little rolls before too. Not too hard but definitely not as pretty as sushi chefs make them! Jagged edges when sliced. I made all of Japan cry.
                                Sometimes I give up and eat the sushi burrito style.

------

Comment

Working...
                                X