No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Knifegill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Knife (I'm getting tired of referring you as Knife, what's your name?!),
    I'm starting to work night shifts soon.
    Any tips for that?
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Comment

As a night shifter, I've noticed that all my coworkers have different ways of managing things. Some can sleep in daylight, others need to black out the room. Some sleep right after work, others just before. It all depends on what else is going on in your life. There's no one-size-fits all method for shift work.

Are you working weird days or is it something consistent?
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I actually don't know yet, but I don't think it will be consistent.
        Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Comment

I now have unlimited access to the hospital gym! I just got to try it out, and now I know I can bench-press 205 pounds (assuming the bar weighs 45).

It's not much at all, but it's a starting point! I also played with the freeweights, deltoid-focus and a little bicep for kicks.

I love the burn of holding them straight out to my sides, at shoulder height, and keeping them there as long as I can.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Going to make an effort again to food track here.

4pm yesterday -
            .88 pounds of chicken livers, not seasoned. One had bile. I ate it anyway.
            six eggs in bacon grease with black pepper and turmeric
            8pm yesterday just before work-
            One cup Aroy-D coconut milk (something else small, I can't remember now! Maybe a green apple?)
            At work, about midnight-
            3 tiny oranges, golf ball sized
            One piece of bitter baking chocolate, one powerful cup of green tea
            Water
            Last edited by Knifegill; 02-14-2013, 03:41 AM.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

One so-so corn chip. One more cup of green tea. 04:50 2-14-13
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

As an aside, one thing I'm doing to avoid the gallstone plague of this generation is first eating my high-fat/high-protein foods, and then springing an apple on the digestive process about an hour later to trap the bile out. I have no basis for this assumption except that when I eat this way, my poop looks just a little foamy and I'm blindly assuming it's bile I see.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Did 3 sets of four bench presses at 165, still easing into it.
                  Did 3 sets of four symmetrical curls with freeweights at 40 pounds per hand immediately after each set of bench presses, then a 2 minute rest before repeating.
                  5 pieces of bacon.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

One Primal-fied pork/lettuce salad from Q'doba and a quart of Coffee Bean Blast ice cream from TJ's. Valentine's food! Yay!
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Just now - 12:45AM -Two rectangular pieces (one wrapped portion) of Baker's chocolate, 0 sugar.
                      One cup of yerba/green tea blend. One cup of coffee (but just ONE!) at the top of my shift (9:30 PM).
                      Water.

About 3:30PM- A pound of steak for dinner, heavily spiced with 5-spice (anise, cinnamon, clove, and two other ones I forget) and turmeric, black pepper, a touch of salt. Medium-rare, eaten with much potent horseradish, Bubbie's brand. One small orange, two medium apples. About 5 of my wife's sweet potato chips.
                      Edit! I forgot the cheese! I ate half a brick of the grass-fed new zealand cheese from Trader Joe's. YUM!
                      More water.

Then we hoofed it through bramble and spiders to find the outer edge of our property. Quite the walk. Treacherous. Knee-deep holes, slippery branches and rotten logs underfoot. It was awesome!
                      Last edited by Knifegill; 02-16-2013, 02:54 AM.
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Man, life is too crazy to keep up with a journal.

I've been eating a little more dairy then I probably should, and my face is getting red and blotchy again. Since dairy is the only odd thing lately, I suspect a correlation there.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Yup, dairy isn't as benign as you would think. I just dropped dairy and my sinus issues went away within two days. Issues I had been dealing with for many, many years.
                          Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                            As an aside, one thing I'm doing to avoid the gallstone plague of this generation is first eating my high-fat/high-protein foods, and then springing an apple on the digestive process about an hour later to trap the bile out. I have no basis for this assumption except that when I eat this way, my poop looks just a little foamy and I'm blindly assuming it's bile I see.
                            Does eating separately really work? How is this going?
                            "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Does eating separately really work? How is this going?
                              Done it forever, no issues. Eat, poop, repeat. Except for a random IBS flare-up and some uveitis.
                              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

LOLZ, still eating cheese! How can I quit?! So convenient and yummy!

Got home, haven't eaten in 12 hours, was hungrier than usual so I am actually eating! Usually I just go to bed.
                                Glass of water first, then:
                                +/- 4 oz. Kerrygold Dubliner aged cheese.
                                One five-finger death-pinch of nuts.
                                Last night had a pound of bacon, coffee with a cup of coconut milk, and four eggs. Wasn't hungry for eleven hours, but then a bell rang at the twelfth hour!

Slept ten hours yesterday.
                                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Working...
                                X