Clear All

• Primal Journal - svelting

Demo:
    46 years old
    Female
    187 cm (6' 1.75")
    weight: 207

Goals:
    Lose body fat (continuing recent 55 lb weight loss)
    Figure out how my body is intended to look
    Get/increase my sanity about food
    Stabilize my energy and mood

Challenges:
    - tendency to mild depression, which gets worse in fall winter (I do light treatment)
    - family history of hypothyroid issues; my last levels were within acceptable ranges but I have symptoms -- hairlessness, cold hands and feet, low body temperature, fatigue)

History
    - SA(C)D from childhood through young adulthood
    - no major dieting history except recent weight loss while on VLC (<30 net), VL calorie (≈ 900 kcal), low fat program
    - weight gained mostly from inactivity resulting from move to a high-rise building in a suburban car-dominated area, and plantar fasciitis
    - trichotillomania (hair pulling) which disappeared with topical anti-fungal treatments started 11 months ago. My urges seem to rise occasionally. Uncertainty and anxiety are emotional triggers, I'm not sure what food(s) makes those emotions more intense and less manageable

First primal steps for next 30 days
    - taper off the processed foods I've used to date
    - get fat to 55% - 60% (at about 50% for last 7 days)
    - get calories up to 1500 - 1600 per day
    Last edited by svelting; 10-31-2010, 08:55 AM.
    My journal

Grains: No significant grain consumption since early July 2010 (probably less than 1/4 cup of wheat flour in the 4 months)
    Legumes: a fair amount of soy, minimal peanuts/peanut butter
    Daily Supplements: a multi vitamins and minerals (iron-free), 5-8000 IU D3, 1 mg fish oil (500 mg DHA, 425 mg EPA)

Macronutrient history for last 3 months, approximate monthly averages. Some days are missing -- I went a bit rogue with the food. Had I faced the truth about those days, the calories, carbs and fat averages would probably be slightly higher. <shrug>
    30 days recorded in August:
    • 804 calories
    • 37 g carbohydrates (19%)
    • 26 g fat (30%)
    • 101 g protein (51%)

19 days average in September
    • 812 calories
    • 43 g carbohydrates
    • 24 g fat
    • 107 g protein

25 day average in October, started shifting toward PB by increasing fat intake with coconut oil and 18% cream:
    • 1148 calories
    • 61 g carbohydrates
    • 53 g fat
    • 112 g protein

Data is power!
    Last edited by svelting; 10-30-2010, 05:56 PM. Reason: caprice and whimsy
    My journal

Comment

Welcome.

Good start, but from what you have shared, definitely add more calories and more fat to what you're eating. 1200 calories a day seems way low.
      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Greenprout Thanks for the welcome and the suggestion. For sure, more calories and fat are my first set of measures to change.
        My journal

Comment

Hi Honey! It's Susan, srmb60 from 3FC.

Comment

Originally posted by tooround View Post
            Hi Honey! It's Susan, srmb60 from 3FC.
            Hi Susan! I never would have guessed from your name... you're anything but too round! =D
            My journal

Comment

Food tracking

Sunday 31 Oct
              B: 2 eggs, 1/4 c egg whites, 1/4 18% cream, coconut oil, 2 x coffee with 18% cream, 1 apple
              Snack: almonds (about 12?)
              L: none really -- a highly dissatisfying and disgusting tasting "protein" bar
              D: roast chicken leg & thigh, roasted sweet potato (butter & chicken fat), broccoli
              Supplements: 7000IU D3, multi-vitamin, 1 g Fish oil (500 mg DHA, 425 EPA), 120 ug K2*, 150 mg Mg (time release chelate)* (*=new)
              Note about eggwhites & 18% cream: I'm using up supplies. Why waste them? I will mix the 18% with heavy cream this week.

Lesson learned real food good, processed "health" food unpredictable; need to plan real food.

Physical I feel good having real food and am loving the increased fat. I felt great for about 2-3 months but for the last couple of weeks I have had this weird tiredness and lack of focus. I can't figure out what might be causing it. It's not presenting the way the seasonal depression usually does, the "tired behind the eyes" feeling I call it. It's more of a tired around the eyes. Could I possibly have high-fat flu instead of a low-carb flu?

Monday Nov. 1
              B: 2 eggs, 1/4 c egg whites, 1/4 18% cream, coconut oil, 2 x coffee with 18% cream, + sweet potato/onion/apple casserole
              morning: 2x coffee with half/half
              L: pizza toppings (cheese, pepperoni & veg) about 4 - 4x4 in pieces (really thin on the cheese, though )
              D: almonds and salad, coconut oil off the sppon
              Notes: not nearly enough veg or good fat (pizza store pepperoni and cheese, really? ) Tomorrow, some zucchini with breakfast, maybe some mixed berries; dental appointment so maybe something easy to chew... big salad with avocado & tuna for lunch, we'll see about dinner

Supplements:
              7000IU D3
              multi-vitamin
              1 g Fish oil (500 mg DHA, 425 EPA)
              120 ug vitamin K2
              150 mg Mg (time release chelate)
              multi-mineral (all citrares)
              kelp (750 ug iodine)
              Last edited by svelting; 11-05-2010, 04:02 AM. Reason: rearranging for easier reference
              My journal

Comment

Another thread that I will have to subscribe to...
                My DH is getting annoyed with my forum compulsions...

Comment

Originally posted by primalmaven View Post
                  Another thread that I will have to subscribe to...
                  My DH is getting annoyed with my forum compulsions...
                  Hi ... I guess I should have read the book about hiding out in plain sight ... I imagine tip #1 reads: "Don't use the same name." I'm happy to be found. Nice to see you and thanks for posting!
                  Last edited by svelting; 10-31-2010, 07:01 PM.
                  My journal

Comment

Tuesday & Wednesday -- I was recovering from the dental work and then feeling a bit sorry for myself -- gave myself excuses to eat crappity-crappy processed crap. Jaw and gums seem to have recovered 90% so back to basics!

Ok, back in the journaling groove

Thursday Nov. 4
                    B -- my new fave: 2 eggs + egg whites (almost gone) + cream, cooked in coconut oil, coffee + cream
                    snack (hungry before lunch meeting) 1/2 cucumber
                    Lunch: big salad (spring mix, broccoli, onion) with salmon, 1/2 avocado, EVOO dressing
                    D: mashed cauliflower & goat cheese (so good!), almonds, 2 tsp coconut oil in the mash and off the spoon

1200- 1250 calories & over 55% fat! There's room for a

Supplements: I think the changes I made earlier this week in my supplements have improved my fatigue. since then. Maybe it's the iodine in the kelp. Whatever it is it's working. Should it stop, I'll investigate and adjust.
                    My journal

Comment

Friday Nov. 5
                      B -- 2 eggs + egg whites (almost gone) + cream, cooked in coconut oil, coffee + cream, 1/2 avocado
                      snack:coffee with cream, almonds
                      Lunch: big salad (romaine, onion, pickles) with salmon, 1/2 avocado, EVOO dressing
                      work beer social: some chicken wings and veg (cheese, onion, peppers, mushrooms) pizza toppings from 2 slices
                      D: barbecue pulled pork and coleslaw, one piece of bread whose only value was as a conveyance for the garlic butter

≈ 1650 calories & 55% fat!
                      I'm feeling rather full 2.5 hours after dinner, so I probably could have stopped eating sooner. I used to love the bread at this little smokery, now it occurs as a complete waste of palate capacity!

Edit: bread=farting! Haven't had that gassiness since going off grains 4 months ago.
                      Last edited by svelting; 11-06-2010, 11:36 AM.
                      My journal

Comment

Sat Nov. 6
                        B: protein shake on the run. Um, tasteless! (now relegated to the "only in case of extreme emergency" cupboard)
                        S: full fat greek yogurt, mixed berries, some macadamia nut butter, dark chocolate
                        L: some leftover BBQ pulled pork, half pint of Guinness
                        D: eggs & bacon, kale salad with walnuts.

Notes:
                        Little tired today; stayed up last night reading a really engaging PB journal.
                        It took me a while to find greek yogurt. It's not a common item where I usually shop. Now having found it and consumed some, I understand why people rave about it. I can't envision going back to the watery versions except under duress.
                        Last edited by svelting; 11-08-2010, 07:34 PM. Reason: forgot my half of Guinness
                        My journal

Comment

Sun. Nov. 7 clocks change

B: greek yogurt, mixed berries, walnuts, chocolate, coffee and cream (meal's fat content = 70% of calories)
                          L: finished the pulled pork, a little bit of brisket, 2 slices of bacon, pickles
                          D: romaine, chicken, walnuts, olive oil, balsamic vinegar
                          S: almond butter "cut" with coconut oil
                          Apparently my adjustment to higher fat is, um, complete. What seemed so difficult a week ago, now seems so delicious.

I probably need more veggies.
                          Last edited by svelting; 11-08-2010, 06:33 PM.
                          My journal

Comment

Mon. Nov. 8
                            B: 2 eggs + whites + cream, berries + dollop of yogurt, coffee + whipping cream
                            L: romaine, radicchio, green pepper, cucumber, avocado, baked chicken breast, walnuts, EVOO + white wine vinegar
                            D: grass-fed beef stew (rutabaga, onion, garlic, mushrooms), stewed in wine and beef broth, cream once in the bowl -- yummy, some red wine and about 10 g of dark chocolate
                            Up this morning before 5, prepped the stew ingredients and the crockpot was brewing by 5:40. My energy was really consistent throughout the day -- could it be that I'm in ketosis again? I love that I'm waking up early, having even energy and a good mood throughout the day, and am appropriately tired at night.
                            My journal

Comment

Tuesday Nov. 9
                              B: 2 eggs + HWC+ zucchini sauté (coconut oil/ghee combo), mixed berries + dollop of greek yogurt, coffee + HWC
                              L: romaine, radicchio, green pepper, cucumber, avocado, baked chicken breast, walnuts, almonds EVOO + white wine vinegar
                              D: grass-fed beef stew (rutabaga, onion, garlic, mushrooms), stewed in wine and beef broth, cream once in the bowl -- yummy, some red wine and about 10 g of dark chocolate
                              S: macadamia nut butter and some coconut oil to get my calories and fats up for the day
                              Supplements: multi-vitamins, multi-mineral, magnesium, D3, K2, fish oil (DHA>EPA), B complex
                              I'm feeling so good eating this way. I'm not sure what it is specifically because I made several changes at the same time: increased fat, increased real food, increased magnesium, decreased calcium, added K2. I could have done OFAT (one factor at a time) so I'd know. I'm glad I didn't.

Checked out a functional fitness gym. The methods and environment intrigued me. My greatest opportunity to improve is in lunges and push-ups -- I needed a stick to support myself up to keep balanced on a narrow surface, and didn't get even my face off the mat in my push-up attempts.
                              My journal

Comment

Working...
                              X