Primal Journal - NourishedEm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Not me that's for sure, I couldn't give a toss. What I do care about is fitting into my clothes. When I don't think about my diet, I gain weight. I don't know if my hypothyroidism or if I just have my set point stuck at 98kg, but whatever it is, I can't take my eye off the ball. If I was only carrying 5-10lbs of extra weight, I would be living life and not caring, but I'm clinically obese Suse - it is not just vanity.
    yeah I hear you. I guess it just all sounds crazy to me, because I dont have the same problems. I just feel for you beating yourself up. You've got more self control and brains than most.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jac View Post
      Huh, I posted to you yesterday but it's not here! Just wanted to hang with some solidarity here - yes, it totally sucks that what seems to work for other people doesn't work for us. I agree with you, though, that being clinically obese and regaining so easily means that we just have to keep trying. I've regained what I lost on ketosis, too. I'm currently in 'don't care' land about what I eat while I focus on getting rid of artificial sweeteners completely. Then I'll be on to the next idea to manage my weight. It never ends.
      Yeah, I'm there already (see below). I hope you're doing well with the artificial sweeteners. I personally think that you're better off having some sugar occasionally than eating the artificial crap. At least our bodies know what to do with sucrose.

Originally posted by Suse View Post
      yeah I hear you. I guess it just all sounds crazy to me, because I dont have the same problems. I just feel for you beating yourself up. You've got more self control and brains than most.
      Thanks Suse, I wasn't really beating myself up, just feeling frustrated is all. I was looking at my recorded weights over the past 2 years and I weigh now what I did when I started this whole primal thing. I've gone up and I've gone down, but I've been here around 100kg more times than I care to think about.

Anyway while we're on the subject of fat set-points, I've decided to give the potato plan a go for 5 days. I have read up about it and I'm interested in the fact that the reduced food reward and palatability seems to adjust a person's set-point. I clearly (based on my own collected data) have a set-point right at about 100kg plus or minus 5kg. My body feels comfortable here and will stay here without any effort at all on my part. I'm curious to see if eating the spuds will effect that in any way. I'm fairly confident it will lead to weight loss, but the test for me will be whether it stays off. Stay tuned for updates.

So, Monday morning on day 1 of spud-week. My weight is 97.4kg.
      My Journal

Comment

• Day one of spud week is in the bag. It's ok, not exciting, but ok. They sure are filling! Today will be interesting, I'm back to work which means that people will see I'm only eating potatoes. I'm so looking forward to the questions!
        My Journal

Comment

• Ok, experiment is over for me.

I had my first day at work since starting and I nearly passed out at the table. When I have to eat and then go scrub up for an operation that takes 4-5 hours, I need protein and fat in my belly to tide me over. I'm sure the spud diet works but not for someone who has to go many hours between meals.

I may well come back to this when I have some days off, or I may look at doing it on weekends instead of weekdays. I certainly can't do it on work days, it just doesn't work with my schedule.
          Copied from the spud thread. This experiment is OVER!! I really felt awful today, headache, no energy and absolutely freaking starving!!

I don't want to lose weight that badly.
          My Journal

Comment

• I hear you!
            To me it was ALL the bad parts of Whole 30 with nothing good.
            (and you know how much I hated Whole 30!)
            "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
            "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
            "Moderation sucks." Suse
            "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
            "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Good on you for calling it so quickly and opting for health, Em.
              Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• Too bad the experiment didn't work for you, but I agree with Jac that recognizing early that it's not for you is a good thing. If it's interfering with normal function, it's not working.

I have to wonder though, how long do you normally go without eating? As in, what is the normal spacing of your meals? I'm finding it not so bad on the tatos, but I normally tend to eat 2 meals daily, lunch and then dinner 5-8 hours later. Sometimes evening snacks if the meals were too small, but I can also fast all day with no trouble when I feel so inclined.

Anyway, good effort, but coping comes first, for sure.
                My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Normal spacing depends entirely on my operating list for the day. Some days I can have breaky, lunch and dinner at normal times. Other days I get a morning snack and then go scrub up for 6 hours. That's what happened yesterday after a breakfast of 3 spuds. By the end of the case I felt faint I was so hungry.
                  My Journal

Comment

• Well, I'm down 1.1kg (2.4lbs) this week. Maybe it's due to the couple of days of potatoes, who knows. Weight loss is always nice though, whatever the cause.

My appetite feels very well controlled right now and I'm back to eating tons of fruit and dairy so maybe that's it. I dunno, but I feel well so I'm happy.
                    My Journal

Comment

• Found a beautiful gluten and soy free loaf of bread at the farmers markets yesterday. Buckwheat, potato, rice flour based. It's delicious but makes my guts blow up like a balloon - dammit! Guess I can add buckwheat to the things that my body doesn't like.

Ah well, bread's not all that great right?
                      My Journal

Comment

• Ya. Who needs bread anyway?
                        Bland. Dry.
                        Only good for spreading stuff on.
                        "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                        "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                        "Moderation sucks." Suse
                        "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Did you watch the eclipse today??
                          "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Originally posted by winencandy View Post
                            Did you watch the eclipse today??
                            It wasn't visible in Perth.
                            My Journal

Comment

• I have been spending a bit of time looking around the forum today after a hiatus of only looking at people's journals. Nice to see things a haven't really changed. The same people are bashing women, the same people are starting arguments, the same people are looking down their noses at anybody who has a differering opinion from theirs. Sigh....

Anyway, things are good with me. I'm working insanely hard but I am now a fully fledged neurosurgery scrub nurse after a very quick crash course in very complex surgeries such as craniotomies and spinal fusions. There have been a couple of nurses leave and this has left a skill shortage which it was decided I could fill. All I can say is that it's lucky I learn fast and don't crumble under pressure! Last week I learned how to do a craniotomy, an anterior cervical disc replacement and a lateral approach lumbar fusion!! I'm now on the on-call roster which usually requires 2 years post-grad experience but which they are putting me on before my first year is finished. It's quite flattering although I know that the fast-track is mostly due to their staff shortages, still it's nice that they think I can handle it so early. I do love my job.
                              My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                                I have been spending a bit of time looking around the forum today after a hiatus of only looking at people's journals. Nice to see things a haven't really changed. The same people are bashing women, the same people are starting arguments, the same people are looking down their noses at anybody who has a differering opinion from theirs. Sigh....
                                You tempted me to look. Why did I look??

Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                                Anyway, things are good with me. I'm working insanely hard but I am now a fully fledged neurosurgery scrub nurse after a very quick crash course in very complex surgeries such as craniotomies and spinal fusions.

I do love my job.

I'm SO glad to hear this! You worked hard for it! You deserve it!
                                "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

Working...
                                X