• Yay, glad to hear you're doing well!
    Being on your feet all day definitely burns up a LOT of cals
    So what are you eating?
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

• Originally posted by winencandy View Post
      Sounds primal to me I think primal is "real foods, no grains". I don't consider low carb = primal. Maybe I'm weird??
      Maybe you are.

Perhaps Primal isn't supposed to be low-carb but based on Mark's carbohydrate curve and the general concensus of almost everyone in the Primal/Paleo world, it certainly is seen that way. The other thing I disagree with is the contention that if you are going to eat carbs, make sure that they do not contain the evil fructose! We've been eating fructose for eons, I can't believe that in the context of real foods that it's a bad thing - quite the opposite in fact.

Originally posted by ottercat View Post
      Yay, glad to hear you're doing well!
      Being on your feet all day definitely burns up a LOT of cals
      So what are you eating?
      Milk, cheese, cream, butter, coconut oil, fresh squeezed orange juice, fruits of all kinds (even the evil high-fructose ones!!), green leafy veg, liver, beef, lamb, shellfish, eggs, corn (usually in the form of masa harina tortillas), rice, potatoes, coffee, chocolate, ice-cream (yes, with sugar in it!), honey, mezcal....

I don't eat pork or chicken (unless it's lean to avoid PUFA), I don't eat nuts, avocado or anything else that is high in unsaturated fats. Gluten still doesn't agree with me so I avoid wheat, but other than that, I kinda eat what I like. It's rather nice to be freed of the food nazi-ism that is kinda inherant in this lifestyle.
      My Journal

Comment

• Hi Em! Nice to see you again - the blog pics look amazing, but they show the drama/seriousness of what you've had done and are giving me pause.

Re the food - I'm with you! I'm basing my eating on what my body feels best with. Well, except the coke - I still have an addicts relationship with it. Dammit. Other than that, it's all on with the kumara and stuff. I made pickles and relish a couple of weeks ago - masses so zucchini and cucumber in the garden this year, and I kept to the tried and true recipes that call for sugar and malt vinegar. Does that mean I'll be stripped in my primal badge? We are scoffing the stuff like it's crack cocaine, lol, but it does take steak to the next level of yumminess!

That's brilliant about your thyroid!
        Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• Originally posted by Jac View Post
          Hi Em! Nice to see you again - the blog pics look amazing, but they show the drama/seriousness of what you've had done and are giving me pause.
          YES! This is what I've been trying to get across to people - this is not a walk in the park! I don't regret having it done, but neither do I want people to run away with the idea that you have a couple of days of discomfort and then TA-DA - New body. It's MAJOR surgery and takes some getting over. I don't even think that I'm a good person to judge from either. I have an almost super-human immune system (I jest a little, but seriously I don't get sick and wounds heal really fast for me), I'm also really physically fit, I don't just mean that I can lift weights or whatever, just that I have good reserves and strength, it's one of those genetic things. I've been in touch with people who had abdominoplasties who were off their feet for weeks and unable to do even little things, like pushing a vacuum around the house, for months. Anybody who considers this sort of surgery has to also consider that they may fall into the months-to-recover category.

Originally posted by Jac View Post
          Re the food - I'm with you! I'm basing my eating on what my body feels best with. Well, except the coke - I still have an addicts relationship with it. Dammit. Other than that, it's all on with the kumara and stuff. I made pickles and relish a couple of weeks ago - masses so zucchini and cucumber in the garden this year, and I kept to the tried and true recipes that call for sugar and malt vinegar. Does that mean I'll be stripped in my primal badge? We are scoffing the stuff like it's crack cocaine, lol, but it does take steak to the next level of yumminess!
          YUMMMMM!!!! Any chance of sending a jar to Perth? I lurves me some sweet pickle with my steak.
          My Journal

Comment

• Haha, I really don't think it'd go too well in the post! But it's really delish - especially the beetroot chutney.

Yeah, I hear you about the surgery. Big, big decision with lots of unknowns in the mix. Fortunately I don't think I'll ever have to make that decision, since I seem to be at my forever weight and don't have any loose skin to contend with . 90kg and I seem to be bosom buddies! I also have to wonder if, at almost 49, it's just stupid to try to get to a body I haven't had for over 20 years. Dunno.

Are there any good outlet shops in Melbourne for Reubenesque women?
            Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• Originally posted by Jac View Post
              Yeah, I hear you about the surgery. Big, big decision with lots of unknowns in the mix. Fortunately I don't think I'll ever have to make that decision, since I seem to be at my forever weight and don't have any loose skin to contend with . 90kg and I seem to be bosom buddies! I also have to wonder if, at almost 49, it's just stupid to try to get to a body I haven't had for over 20 years. Dunno.

Are there any good outlet shops in Melbourne for Reubenesque women?
              Sounds like me and 86kg, my body just likes it here. Personally I'd like to get down to 80kg but I'm past torturing myself to lose weight, I am mostly happy with how I look and feel here (still have an enormous arse and thighs, but hey...) and I can eat whatever I like without my weight changing, so I'm slowly trying to talk myself into acceptance that this is my happy place.

I would imagine that there are some awesome outlet stores for curvy girls, but I'm afraid I don't know of any.
              My Journal

Comment

• The proud recipient of TWO prizes for attaining the top marks in my degree in my year. $250 each. Booyah!!
                My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post

The proud recipient of TWO prizes for attaining the top marks in my degree in my year. $250 each. Booyah!!
                  Booyah indeed. Great pic. Awesome x 2!

Comment

• Congratulations!!
                    Female / 5' 8" / 42 / SW: 166 CW: 159
                    Journal: Inspired by success story. Working on my own.

My mermish life: ENTER to WIN Real Mermaids Don't Hold Their Breath (until Mar 15)

Comment

• *like*
                      Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
                      Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
                      "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

The proud recipient of TWO prizes for attaining the top marks in my degree in my year. $250 each. Booyah!!
                        Way to go, Em!

Comment

• Thanks lovely peeps!!

I have to say, life is pretty damn good right now. I feel fantastic, my job is great and I'm $500 richer today.

I had my first list on my own at work on Thursday, this means that I was the anaesthetic nurse responsible for the patients in that OR for that day. Apparently this is not common after only 2 1/2 weeks of training but according to my boss I'm "shining!" So I've been fast-tracked. I really enjoyed having the autonomy and responsibility and getting to start to create my own routine. It's great being put with lots of different people when training as you get to see many different ways of doing things and you can decide what you like and what you don't, I have to admit though that I was getting a little tired of it towards the end and was kinda champing at the bit to get out from under and do it myself. The responsibility is pretty huge, especially when you get a difficult intubation, but without being given the challenge, you can't rise to it, right?
                          They are also really understanding of my family commitments and have organised my roster around my childcare which is really awesome. The nurses reading know that our job is often not the most family friendly despite being mostly done by women, so to find an understanding and accomodating workplace is a real boon.

I am a little hungover this morning, I had one (alright three) too many mezcals last night to celebrate my prizes and consequently I'm a little slow to get going this morning. I don't feel too bad though fortunately.

I'm taking the kids to see The Muppets at the cinema today and then we're going out for lunch. I can't wait, I always loved The Muppets.
                          My Journal

Comment

Way to go Em!! Brilliant photo, too!
                            Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• Emmmmmm.....

I missssss youuuuuuu!

<3

And I'm so freakin' proud of you! You are absolutely PHENOMENAL and should be damn proud of yourself. I <3 you so much!

Comment

• Congrats, Em! You have utterly transformed your life, and you are now basking in the well-deserved glow!

Thanks for inspiring me day after day!
                                50 yo single mom
                                5'3"
                                Primal since 12/1/2010. Now Whole30ing until I feel WHOLE again, my goals are no longer scale-related.

Aila's Primal Journey

"If I cling to circumstances, I could claim to be not responsible. Only she who says she did not choose is the loser in the end." Adrienne Rich

Comment

Working...
                                X