No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - NourishedEm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMFG - size 8 jeans???? That's amazing and very cool. You going to post a pic?? I've just seen Paleobirds ass in her leather pants, so yours in your jeans would be good

I sooo agree about people's choice of a disabling lifestyle. I don't pick people up any more, but still feel so frustrated at people with depression and anxiety who will take sleeping pills but won't give up their cola drinks. I shared a lift yesterday at the hospital with a heavily pregnant woman, in her nightie, heading out to the street for a smoke. I wanted to slap her.

Rant over.

RIP to your sim-man. But, you know, he was probably a goner anyway
    Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• Originally posted by Minxxa View Post
      Congrats to size 8 jeans and boots!
      Originally posted by Suse View Post
      great news on the size 8 jeans and boots! bet that makes you feel damn good.

Originally posted by Jac View Post
      OMFG - size 8 jeans???? That's amazing and very cool. You going to post a pic?? I've just seen Paleobirds ass in her leather pants, so yours in your jeans would be good
      Thanks ladies! I should qualify though that I was writing for the US/Canadian readers of my journal when I said size 8, their size 8 is AUS size 12. I have never been nor will I ever be an AUS size 8, unless I get really sick! As for a pic, I'll think about it. I am planning to do another quarterly progress update at the end of June with pics, so maybe I'll chuck a denim-clad arse shot in there.

circus sex.... I am soooo going to remember that phrase. God knows when I'll get around to it, seriously my sex drive is just non existent at the moment. Poor fireman.
      That there is the saddest thing I've heard all week. I would be devestated if I lost my libido! I hope you find it soon.

I sooo agree about people's choice of a disabling lifestyle. I don't pick people up any more, but still feel so frustrated at people with depression and anxiety who will take sleeping pills but won't give up their cola drinks. I shared a lift yesterday at the hospital with a heavily pregnant woman, in her nightie, heading out to the street for a smoke. I wanted to slap her.

Rant over.
      Pregnant women smoking makes me unbelievably irate. I would have wanted to slap her too.

So, here's something interesting that happened a couple of weeks ago. I was chatting with a friend of mine who is about the same height as me and she was talking about someone she knew....

Her "She's about the same size as us."
      Me "Oh honey, you're very sweet but I'm still a fair bit bigger than you"
      Her "What size jeans are you wearing?"
      Me "14" (That's AUS sizing)
      Her "Yeah, me too!"

So, do I not see myself clearly, or is there more to it? Just as a reference, she weighs 80kg (and is horrified as it's the heaviest she's ever been), I still weigh 95kg. I have significantly more muscle mass than she does but we have similar sized frames (breadth of shoulder and hip).
      According to the loathsome BMI I am still obese and need to lose 6 more kilos before I become just overweight.
      I can no longer shop in plus-sized stores (huzzah!!) because even the smallest size is too big for me, yet I'm still obese apparently.
      WTF is going on? Do I have lead-filled bones? Will I have to accept being classified as 'overweight' even when I'm down to a healthy body fat level (which incidentally, my scales still tell me is over 50% atm!).
      I know that I should not be judged or judge myself on the number on my scale or on my jeans label, but that level of enlightenment is a long way away for me! I can't help being affected by this stuff and I can't help still feeling like the enormous 135kg person I used to be even though it's clear that I look very different now.

Anyhoo.... moving on. I got a little spendy today. I got a nice little bonus in my pay packet this week due to a new payrise that finally got approved and 12 months worth of backpay. I hit my absolute favourite shop and they had a sale on!!! I got a gorgeous red jacket and 4 new tops for $125, the jacket alone was originally $169! Just to end on a cheery note, I used to press my nose against the glass of this shop when I was really overweight dreaming about the day I could shop there. Now I don't even have to buy their largest size.

Foodz:
      B: Coffee with cream
      L: Steak and broccoli
      D: Roast lamb, a vanilla protein shake and 3 choc-coconut cubes

Exercise:
      Um.... No. But I'm heading out now!!
      Last edited by NourishedEm; 05-25-2011, 08:57 PM.
      My Journal

Comment

• way to go on the size 8's!!! even if that is US sizing!!! dude, I have been busting my butt to get down to a 12, but im still a ways off from that, 14s are still tight.

anyways, as usual i was lurking and just wanted to say hi em! your doing awesome! you will in time begin to see what others see when they look at you, but this is something that doesnt just change overnight, you have programmed yourself for a long time and now need to reprogram

heheheh dircus sex is a good one, we tend to refer to that as drunken monkey sex, cos were usually all arms n legs and thinking we are far sexier then we actually are! thank god there will never be a video of that!

and HOORAY for shopping in your fave store and not being in the biggest size!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
          Today is a happy day, not only do I fit back into my size 8 jeans, I also managed to get on my knee-high, dark red, suede, high-heeled boots. I carry weight in my legs so this is awesome news!!! Just in time for winter... huzzah!!
          Excellent!!!

circus sex.... I am soooo going to remember that phrase.
          me too

Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
          Pregnant women smoking makes me unbelievably irate. I would have wanted to slap her too.
          me three!

So, do I not see myself clearly, or is there more to it? Just as a reference, she weighs 80kg (and is horrified as it's the heaviest she's ever been), I still weigh 95kg. I have significantly more muscle mass than she does but we have similar sized frames (breadth of shoulder and hip).
          According to the loathsome BMI I am still obese and need to lose 6 more kilos before I become just overweight.
          I can no longer shop in plus-sized stores (huzzah!!) because even the smallest size is too big for me, yet I'm still obese apparently.
          WTF is going on? Do I have lead-filled bones? Will I have to accept being classified as 'overweight' even when I'm down to a healthy body fat level (which incidentally, my scales still tell me is over 50% atm!).
          I know that I should not be judged or judge myself on the number on my scale or on my jeans label, but that level of enlightenment is a long way away for me! I can't help being affected by this stuff and I can't help still feeling like the enormous 135kg person I used to be even though it's clear that I look very different now.
          I sometimes feel like this too. I've also wondered if my bones were made of lead. I don't know the answer. The other day I felt good, slim, happy. Yesterday I felt HUGE looking at myself in the full length mirror at the hairdressers. Seriously, why do you need a full length mirror for your hair!

Anyhoo.... moving on. I got a little spendy today. I got a nice little bonus in my pay packet this week due to a new payrise that finally got approved and 12 months worth of backpay. I hit my absolute favourite shop and they had a sale on!!!
          !!!!Double Excellent!!!!!
          Retro pay AND a sale at your favorite store!!!!!

Originally posted by datto54 View Post
          you will in time begin to see what others see when they look at you, but this is something that doesnt just change overnight, you have programmed yourself for a long time and now need to reprogram
          Yup. I think it's going to take some time to adjust our mental image of ourselves.
          "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
          "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
          "Moderation sucks." Suse
          "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
          "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Em... I think it goes back to the whole "number on a scale" thing. You explained it yourself--- you have considerably more muscle than she does. That's why you can be the same "size" and weigh more. This is why I do not weigh myself EVER anymore. Before my thyroid pooped I was upset because I was around 141 lbs... but I was ALL FREAKING MUSCLE. And I couldn't be happy with where I was because of a number on a scale, which basically just said I was ripped, damn it!! no, bitter, me? not at all....

Anyway, I was all impressed at a U.S. size 8, LOL... that's tiny to me. I'm barely in 10s now...
            sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

• 12 is still nirvana as far as I'm concerned!!

Interesting about the bones of lead comment - a lecturer waaaay back in the day (lol) explained about bone size and density in terms of body weight. He reckons when you lose weight it can take up to 2 years for the bones to adjust to a better functioning body because they become larger and stronger to support obesity. He says that's why when people lose weight you can initially see much more bone structure in their faces so they look gaunt, but if the weight loss is sustained the gauntness goes away as the bones adjust. Now I can't attest to ANY of this, but thought it was worth chucking out there!
              Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• Congrats on the 8's, or 12's... however you want to look at it! <3 That's wonderful!

I, for one, am waging war on numbers, and weight loss in general. I'm just plain sick of the game and I refuse to participate. While I did sort of stuff my face today, it's not SAD foods, and I'm just going to get the hell out of my body's way and let it BE. Don't give numbers any power.

And I totally get that whole "seeing yourself" thing- I can't see myself properly. That's why I love my sister dearly. We can walk into a store, she can hold up a pair of jeans and instantly know if she, or I, can wear them. My sense of size is totally shot. The absolute worst is seeing myself in a mirror, then catching myself in a photo... two entirely different images. In the mirror I think I'm twice the size I actually am. She weighs a few more pounds than I do, and wears a slightly larger size jeans, and yet I can't wrap my brain around the idea that I'm smaller than her. I think a big part of it is that our body SHAPES are completely different.

And screw all the charts, graphs and crap that dictates what "overweight" and "obese" are. They don't take composition into account at all.

Comment

• DR, I love your new outlook. I think you look FANTASTIC and ROCK that corset. Furthermore, words can not express how in awe I am in regards to your ability/willingness to try new/unique foods.

I also get the clothing thing. I hate to shop and I especially HATE to shop for clothes.

Recently, I had family birthday party to attend and needed something to wear ,as I tend to be an apparel slob. I told my daughter, an artist who has trouble finding clothes that fit (00 is too big), I needed her help. We went shopping and she just started picking things she thought would look good on me.

She chose several things I would have never considered for myself. Out of the things she chose, I bought all but 3. Many needed to be downsized. One of the rejects was due to itchiness. The other 2 rejects were due to being likes not needs/budget restraints.

When I walked into the party all of my sisters, who were there(4/5), commented--loudly and positively-- on my appearance/outfit.

I also agree with you about SHAPES. I was told, as a very young teen, that I was fat. After my father's death, last year, I saw pictures of myself during that time. I was NOT fat. I was very well endowed (34C by age 12). The most I weighed, at 5'6" was 135 in high school.

My take away lesson--from my childhood-- NEVER equate who/how your children are based on their weight/appearance. Good lesson, since all 3 of my children are/were super lean and needed to know, from the opposite side of my experience, that they are MORE than how they appear.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                    And screw all the charts, graphs and crap that dictates what "overweight" and "obese" are. They don't take composition into account at all.
                    Absolutely! As the BMI project shows, weights, heights, compositions, and bone structures can make the same number on paper look radically different in real life!
                    My Primal Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by datto54 View Post
                      way to go on the size 8's!!! even if that is US sizing!!! dude, I have been busting my butt to get down to a 12, but im still a ways off from that, 14s are still tight.
                      You'll get there datto! I remember when 20s were tight, so believe me, I know it can be done.

Originally posted by datto54 View Post
                      heheheh dircus sex is a good one, we tend to refer to that as drunken monkey sex, cos were usually all arms n legs and thinking we are far sexier then we actually are! thank god there will never be a video of that!
                      HaHa! I love drunken monkey sex too!

Originally posted by winencandy View Post
                      I sometimes feel like this too. I've also wondered if my bones were made of lead. I don't know the answer. The other day I felt good, slim, happy. Yesterday I felt HUGE looking at myself in the full length mirror at the hairdressers. Seriously, why do you need a full length mirror for your hair!
                      Yeah, that sux. I try not to look in the mirror at the hairdressers, it's depressing.

Originally posted by Minxxa View Post
                      Em... I think it goes back to the whole "number on a scale" thing. You explained it yourself--- you have considerably more muscle than she does. That's why you can be the same "size" and weigh more.
                      Yeah, I hear you, but I don't think I have 15 kilos more muscle than she does, I still have a lot of jiggle that she doesn't. I know I need to stop worrying about the scale, but unfortunately this stuff matters. I had to apply for life-insurance the other day and they wanted to know my height and weight to decide what premium to charge me. Obese people are charged more, even though I'm healthier than a lot of (BMI classified) normal or overweight people.

12 is still nirvana as far as I'm concerned!!

Interesting about the bones of lead comment - a lecturer waaaay back in the day (lol) explained about bone size and density in terms of body weight. He reckons when you lose weight it can take up to 2 years for the bones to adjust to a better functioning body because they become larger and stronger to support obesity. He says that's why when people lose weight you can initially see much more bone structure in their faces so they look gaunt, but if the weight loss is sustained the gauntness goes away as the bones adjust. Now I can't attest to ANY of this, but thought it was worth chucking out there!
                      That is an interesting thought and is possibly quite valid. We do build up bone density by applying pressure to the muscles attached to them, that's why weight-bearing exercise is so important (as you know, of course). It makes sense that someone like me, who's been significantly overweight all their life, would have fairly dense bones. Maybe they really are made of lead!

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                      I, for one, am waging war on numbers, and weight loss in general. I'm just plain sick of the game and I refuse to participate. While I did sort of stuff my face today, it's not SAD foods, and I'm just going to get the hell out of my body's way and let it BE. Don't give numbers any power.
                      Oh honey, I'm trying. I want to let go of the scale and wage a war on numbers too, but I'm not there. Not even close. Maybe when I'm closer to where I need to be I will chuck it all out the window, but for now, I need the accountability and the proof that what I'm doing is working! I know you get it, you've been where I am. Hopefully one day soon, I'll be where you are.

Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                      When I walked into the party all of my sisters, who were there(4/5), commented--loudly and positively-- on my appearance/outfit.
                      I love it when you make an effort and people respond positively. It makes it all worth while!

Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                      I also agree with you about SHAPES. I was told, as a very young teen, that I was fat. After my father's death, last year, I saw pictures of myself during that time. I was NOT fat. I was very well endowed (34C by age 12). The most I weighed, at 5'6" was 135 in high school.

My take away lesson--from my childhood-- NEVER equate who/how your children are based on their weight/appearance. Good lesson, since all 3 of my children are/were super lean and needed to know, from the opposite side of my experience, that they are MORE than how they appear.
                      This x infinity.

My daughter is super-lean too and my eldest son is a little chubby, so I take the emphasis off how their bodies look (even though I tell them everyday how beautiful they are) and focus on what they can do instead.

My mum was always overweight and unhappy with her body when I was younger (she still is actually) and she didn't do much to stop me becoming the same way. My father was always lean, but was clearly contemptuous of my mother's weight. I remember him joking with me about the size of her underwear on the line.
                      I never had any respect for my body and consequently didn't demand any from anyone else, I really thought that I should take what was offered and be grateful. I remember refusing to have sex with my first boyfriend because I was fairly sure that he was in the relationship just to get sex. It was a big deal for me to refuse him and risk rejection (which did come shortly after). I told my mum about my decision and she said "he may have changed his mind and stayed with you if you had slept with him" WTF!! This was my education with men and I really took my mothers advice to heart. I slept with many men after that hoping that one of them would decide that I was worth being with if I put out. A couple of them did, but they weren't people I chose, they were people who wanted me and that was enough for me!
                      As I get older I see how my lack of self-respect led me to treat myself the way I did. Why I ate myself to 135kg, why I married someone I didn't even like very much, why I never bothered trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life, why I had substance abuse issues for 10 years.

I really see the death of my Dad as a major turning point in my life. It was 2004 and I was 31. He was only 53. I wasn't aware of the change happening at the time and it took a little while for everything to kick in, but in the 7 years since he passed, I have lost most of my excess weight, kicked the drugs, left my husband, started on a new career path and found someone who treats me the way I deserve to be treated. It feels like my life started on the day his ended. I think it was the growing awareness of how short life is and how I was wasting mine in this half-life that I had allowed myself to fall into.

Anyway, the point of all this navel-gazing (I have a point?!) is to help me to realise how far I've come and to stop beating myself up that I still have a little work to do before I am happy with who I am. It's just not that easy to undo 31 years of programming. But I'm getting there!
                      My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Ellie G View Post
                        Absolutely! As the BMI project shows, weights, heights, compositions, and bone structures can make the same number on paper look radically different in real life!
                        Hey Ellie, we cross-posted. Thanks for that link, it's really interesting!

I forgot to post my normal info...

Foodz:
                        B: Coffee with cream
                        L: Steak and broccoli in butter
                        D: Rice pasta chicken carbonara (I felt the need for carbs)
                        S: 3 chocolate-coconut cubes, 40g 85%, 1/3 pkt pork rinds with liverwurst pate, a chunk of smoked chedder, coffee with cream, a glass of raw milk.

I was really hungry yesterday and because I'm listening to my body () I ate!

Exercise:
                        90 minute walk around the lake with Charlie. I'm heading down there now with a bucket. The lake is on an old heritage property where some early Perth settlers had their farm 100 or so years ago. Anyway, there are some old olive trees down there that are just drooping with beautiful ripe, black olives. So I'm going to go and harvest some, I've never prepared olives from scratch before but it looks pretty easy. Just a week of changing the soaking brine twice a day and them bottling up with olive oil and whatever herbs take your fancy!

Today I started Simplefit. (Thanks Patrick for the recommendation). I started on level one, day one. I got in 31 rounds in the 20 minute time period, using my woody band for the pull-ups and doing push-ups on the bench. I have lost some strength since I stopped working out regularly, but it'll come back soon enough.
                        My Journal

Comment

• I think depending on how far we have to go we need to focus back once in a while and remember how far we've come before we start criticizing where we aren't yet.
                          sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

• Oh Em, I can relate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Minxxa View Post
                              I think depending on how far we have to go we need to focus back once in a while and remember how far we've come before we start criticizing where we aren't yet.
                              + about a million. Hugs, Em. I know you're looking towards where Diana is, but I'm looking forwards to where you are!!
                              Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                                I was really hungry yesterday and because I'm listening to my body () I ate!
                                YAY! Go you!
                                My Primal Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X