Primal Journal - NourishedEm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Don't waste your time on small minds... they're just not worth the aggravation.
    Very true! I'll have to keep that in mind.

NourishedEm - I think last time I commented I mentioned something about water weight and you asked for the source; I think this kind of gets at it but you may have seen it before - How to Deal With Water Retention: Part One | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Comment

• LOL, yeah that dude's an asshat! But I think he's trying to be. He digs the irritation. Ignore is the best option EVAH!

Em, I'd just be a bit careful about the IFs-- or just be extra aware of your body and how it's working for you. IFs can be less than stellar for us folks with hypothyroidism-- our bodies are already predisposed to hanging on to fat under times of duress, and it can see an IF as stress. Definitely do what feels right, but just be aware that this is common.

Interestingly in the latest healthy skeptic podcast, Chris Kressler talks with Rob Wolf and Matt (I forget his name!), and during the discussion they talk about IF and the Matt says that he doesn't do it anymore, he finds he does better with a wider window. They talk about the changes that IF can make in your body and how it can vary amongst individuals. It's a cool podcost anyway, but thought it was an interesting point.

For myself I often have to remind myself that I do not yet have a healthy metabolism and so cannot do many things that work for weight loss for others. So I focus on what I CAN do, weights, walking, sprints and good food.

On that note, don't let me discourage you! Just have to keep the options out there, LOL...
      sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

• Originally posted by Minxxa View Post
        For myself I often have to remind myself that I do not yet have a healthy metabolism and so cannot do many things that work for weight loss for others. So I focus on what I CAN do, weights, walking, sprints and good food.
        This is very true for me, too -- I sometimes feel like a bad PBer because I can't fast (or do a lot of other stuff) but I remind myself that IFing is not part of the Primal Blueprint and in fact would hurt my health, which is the opposite of what I'm trying to do! It can be hard, though, to feel like the kid left out of the crowd.
        My Primal Journal

Comment

• There are asshats on these forums?! Unpossible!! You must be lying, Em. I just can't believe such a thing!

Actually, wait. I totally believe it. After all, I'm on here!
          August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post
            If it helps, I have to restrain myself when I read his "stuff". When I'm compelled to post, I reread it, remind myself that I promised I would not engage with someone who can only hear their own "truth"/voice, then I hit cancel.
            Yeah, I un-subscribed from the thread to save my sanity. I used to have a keyring that said "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an un-armed person" I just keep trying to remember that!

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
            Don't waste your time on small minds... they're just not worth the aggravation.
            Yeah, good advice. Enjoy the sauce!

Originally posted by spakesneaker View Post
            NourishedEm - I think last time I commented I mentioned something about water weight and you asked for the source; I think this kind of gets at it but you may have seen it before - How to Deal With Water Retention: Part One | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health
            It wasn't me, I detached myself from the conversation when he replied to my question with his stock standard "they must be lying" answer. But thanks for the link anyway, I'm always interested in new stuff to read.

Originally posted by Minxxa View Post
            Em, I'd just be a bit careful about the IFs-- or just be extra aware of your body and how it's working for you. IFs can be less than stellar for us folks with hypothyroidism-- our bodies are already predisposed to hanging on to fat under times of duress, and it can see an IF as stress. Definitely do what feels right, but just be aware that this is common.

Interestingly in the latest healthy skeptic podcast, Chris Kressler talks with Rob Wolf and Matt (I forget his name!), and during the discussion they talk about IF and the Matt says that he doesn't do it anymore, he finds he does better with a wider window. They talk about the changes that IF can make in your body and how it can vary amongst individuals. It's a cool podcost anyway, but thought it was an interesting point.
            I listened to that podcast (it's Matt Lalonde), it did make me stop and think. I actually listened to it near the 20 hour mark of what was going to be my 40 hour fast. It's partly responsible for me changing my mind and leaving it at 22. I definitely pushed it too far this week, I did 20-22 hour fasts for most days of the week when I had only planned to do it once a week. I don't think it worked for me (see below) and I need to just go back to my normal 6-8 hour eating window. It's typical of me to take something and run with it and then end up pushing too far... when will I learn!!!???

Originally posted by Ellie G View Post
            This is very true for me, too -- I sometimes feel like a bad PBer because I can't fast (or do a lot of other stuff) but I remind myself that IFing is not part of the Primal Blueprint and in fact would hurt my health, which is the opposite of what I'm trying to do! It can be hard, though, to feel like the kid left out of the crowd.
            Yeah, I felt a little like that too. I also have a bad tendency to compare myself to people who are already ripped and need to lose the last few pounds and think.... Yay, that could work for me! I'm such an idiot sometimes!

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
            There are asshats on these forums?! Unpossible!! You must be lying, Em. I just can't believe such a thing!

Actually, wait. I totally believe it. After all, I'm on here!
            Well, at least you're an entertaining asshat who doesn't assume that anyone who disagrees with his worldview must be lying because what other explanation could there possibly be....?
            JK, you're not an asshat at all, although I'd love to see what Jenny could do with that image!

So, I gained weight this week. 800g. Since weight loss is all about calories in/calories out, clearly I've been lying to myself about what I've been eating this week or I'm sleep-eating or something because there's no other possible explanation for why a person eating one meal a day could gain weight, right?
            Ok, that's it. I'm not going to let that pillock occupy any more of my brain power.

Obviously I am pushing this IF thing a little too far (what... me? No!! ). I also have gone back to nights and I'm not entirely convinced that those 3 glorious weeks of weight-loss weren't due to working normal day shifts rather than any change in my diet/metabolism.

Anyway, I ate like a champion yesterday, 3 whole meals in a day!! What a pig! Imagine how a person can get into the mind-set that eating normally is considered a calorie re-feed day! Obviously, I still have issues with eating, much as I may like to think that I'm all better.

I guess I just need to chill the fuck out again and forget about losing. I was doing fine with that before and then I started losing weight and it became my obsession again. I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for an overweight person to be pre-occupied with weight-loss, but clearly, I can't think about it without becoming a crazy person.

Eats yesterday:
            B: 3 scrambled eggs with butter and cream, a rasher of bacon. Coffee with cream.
            L: BAS with mackerel and olives
            D: Beef casserole made with my lovely gelatinous cartilage broth, vegies and potato.
            S: Decaf with cream, glass of raw milk, 3 brazil nuts.

I did no movement at all yesterday, I'm getting into my latest book and am just glued to it! It's World Without End by Ken Follett. I read the first one, Pillars of the Earth last year and this one is just as good. I highly recommend them if you like a good, rich, historical rip-roarer of a tale.
            My Journal

Comment

• It's going to really suck if your weight loss is directly linked to the difference between day/night shifts. I say it'll suck because you have no options there and it's not in your control. The good news is that you know weight loss can happen, and that it isn't your fault. Small consolation, I suppose.

Hmmm... If you catalogued your progress while on days vs non-progress when on nights, could you make a health argument at work for not working nights? I know that's unlikely, but just tossing out ideas here.
              August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

• I do think working nights/rotating shifts is detrimental to health and weight loss. I've seen it with my family. They all work a 7 day rotation.
                That is:
                7 days of 7am-3pm, one day off
                7 days of 3pm-11pm, one day off
                7 days of 11pm-7am, five days off

My little sister especially has trouble with weight gain. She's not Primal but eats a fairly calorie restricted diet (naturally, not by force.) When she was laid off for 6 months she dropped weight. Upon going back to work the weight returned. I really do think a fckd-up sleep schedule causes weight gain. Even when I go through my occasional 50/60-hour weeks I notice I cannot lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                  I definitely pushed it too far this week, I did 20-22 hour fasts for most days of the week when I had only planned to do it once a week. I don't think it worked for me (see below) and I need to just go back to my normal 6-8 hour eating window. It's typical of me to take something and run with it and then end up pushing too far... when will I learn!!!???
                  "Go big or stay home" (My farmer's card playing motto )

Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                  I guess I just need to chill the fuck out again and forget about losing. I was doing fine with that before and then I started losing weight and it became my obsession again. I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for an overweight person to be pre-occupied with weight-loss, but clearly, I can't think about it without becoming a crazy person.
                  Please don't become a crazy person...

Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                  I did no movement at all yesterday, I'm getting into my latest book and am just glued to it! It's World Without End by Ken Follett. I read the first one, Pillars of the Earth last year and this one is just as good. I highly recommend them if you like a good, rich, historical rip-roarer of a tale.
                  Hmmm, I may check it out...not that I need another reason to sit and read

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                  It's going to really suck if your weight loss is directly linked to the difference between day/night shifts. I say it'll suck because you have no options there and it's not in your control. The good news is that you know weight loss can happen, and that it isn't your fault. Small consolation, I suppose.
                  This.
                  I think the shift work is harder on our bodies than we think. (I used to do shift work at a TV station. I know I couldn't do it now)
                  "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                  "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                  "Moderation sucks." Suse
                  "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                  "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Wow, Em! I've just been catching up on a week's worth of posts and you've been through heaps this week! Firstly, that's an awesome grade and clearly you're well on the way to keeping your 'star' status at school! Seocndly, as a theatre nurse your exposure to containers full of body fluids will be delightfully minimal, lol.

Interesting to read your experiences of IFing. I've done something similar, in that it worked for me, then I pushed it and realised I was probably doing more harm than good. Especially great that you didn't force yourself to get through the 40 hours.

My best weight loss, effortless and healthy, came when I worked consistent afternoon shifts. Once I was back on the roster roller coaster it all went to hell again. I totally believe in the sleep/stress/weight gain cycle. I listened to one of the Robb Wolfe podcasts this week that discussed the huge effect stress has on our health and weight.

Happy Mother's Day Em!!
                    Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• Ok im on my phone on the plane home feom los angeles to san diego so this will be ahort and sweet and laden with typing errors (damn my big fat fingers)! First, stop bei g so had on yourself dammit or im hopping an extraordinarily expensive and long flight to oz to slap you. :-). These experiments are how we learn. Were all (most of us here) overachievers who always want t do our best and aometimea get caught in the web of tryng to achieve perfection. Doh!

Think "getting healthy" for now and the rest will follow. Probably not as fast as wed like!

Keep in mind this advice is fueled on two glasses of wine and take it with love and a grain of salt. ;-)

(the gate was next to the bar and im giving up alcohol from tomorrow unt the end of june when i visit my hubs in dc. There will be grumpiness involved. Beware. ). There will be more comment later when im home, bt be kind to yourself. You deserve it. We ALL do.
                      sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

• I do think IFing is a bit of an obsession with some. Its not really about weight loss for me though, I think I may have initially tried it to see what all the fuss was about, and for me, it was more mental - mind control. Wow my stomach is grumbling, but I can cope. Yeah at night I can, but not during the day... I'm glad you've decided to reconsider these really long and frequent fasts for the time being. The thing I remind myself about fasting, is that breakfast is called that cause you break the fast (and usually its in the morning). It makes sense to me to be asleep for most of the fast, thats why when I do sometimes try a fast, I dont eat after lunch and then eat at breakfast the next day, which is approx 18-20 hours later. And then I eat what I normally eat for breakfast (maybe an extra rasher of bacon ), not some huge big meal. And then continue to eat normally for the rest of the day. Of course what works for one person, doesnt necessarily work the for the next.

And that of course is why there are asshats on the forum, they think if it works for them, it must work for everyone. I do love the big debate type threads though purely for what I learn - some fascinating stuff at times that is all mostly over my head!!!

hope you had a great mothers day, and I hope this week you drop off those 800gms you put back on!

Comment

• Ooh, good to hear that you're enjoying that book. I loved Pillars of the Earth with a deep and abiding passion, but was thinking the sequel might not be as good (I tend not to like sequels written a long time after the originals -- the fantasy genre is full of them, and they're almost uniformly disappointing) and so I hadn't planned on reading it. But now I might!
                          My Primal Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                            It's going to really suck if your weight loss is directly linked to the difference between day/night shifts. I say it'll suck because you have no options there and it's not in your control. The good news is that you know weight loss can happen, and that it isn't your fault. Small consolation, I suppose.

Hmmm... If you catalogued your progress while on days vs non-progress when on nights, could you make a health argument at work for not working nights? I know that's unlikely, but just tossing out ideas here.
                            Thanks for the idea, but night-duty is my choice. It's the only shift I can manage as a student and single mum. I just have to get through about another 7 or 8 months of it!!

Originally posted by Jac View Post
                            My best weight loss, effortless and healthy, came when I worked consistent afternoon shifts. Once I was back on the roster roller coaster it all went to hell again. I totally believe in the sleep/stress/weight gain cycle. I listened to one of the Robb Wolfe podcasts this week that discussed the huge effect stress has on our health and weight.
                            Afternoon shifts are the best I reckon, no fighting traffic either way and you get half the day to yourself to enjoy the sunshine. I would do permanent PM shifts if they worked with my schedule too!

Ok im on my phone on the plane home feom los angeles to san diego so this will be ahort and sweet and laden with typing errors (damn my big fat fingers)! First, stop bei g so had on yourself dammit or im hopping an extraordinarily expensive and long flight to oz to slap you. :-). These experiments are how we learn. Were all (most of us here) overachievers who always want t do our best and aometimea get caught in the web of tryng to achieve perfection. Doh!
                            Ok, now I'm going to pretend to be hard on myself so that you'll come over here... it would even be worth the slapping!

Keep in mind this advice is fueled on two glasses of wine and take it with love and a grain of salt.

(the gate was next to the bar and im giving up alcohol from tomorrow unt the end of june when i visit my hubs in dc. There will be grumpiness involved. Beware. ). There will be more comment later when im home, bt be kind to yourself. You deserve it. We ALL do.
                            I'll take the love and the salt and the sensible advice and I will be kinder to myself, I promise. Although I reserve the right to call myself an idiot when I'm clearly being one.

I think you're very brave ditching the booze, that is way beyond my capabilities.

Originally posted by Suse View Post
                            It makes sense to me to be asleep for most of the fast, thats why when I do sometimes try a fast, I dont eat after lunch and then eat at breakfast the next day, which is approx 18-20 hours later. And then I eat what I normally eat for breakfast (maybe an extra rasher of bacon), not some huge big meal. And then continue to eat normally for the rest of the day. Of course what works for one person, doesnt necessarily work the for the next.
                            This is actually a pretty good idea, I skip dinner sometimes after a big lunch anyway. I might try it this way around occasionally too.

Originally posted by Ellie G View Post
                            Ooh, good to hear that you're enjoying that book. I loved Pillars of the Earth with a deep and abiding passion, but was thinking the sequel might not be as good and so I hadn't planned on reading it. But now I might!
                            Oh as did I and I feel the same about World without end, I have whiled away quite a few hours this past week reading while I should be doing something else.

Wow, this forum can really get away from you when you're busy, I haven't logged on since Saturday! I won't bore you with what I've been up to as it's nothing exciting; studying, cleaning, reading and suffering from an excruciatingly painful back spasm originating from my almost non-existant disc between L5 and S1. The muscles that anchor there go up the back, around the hips and down the legs, so you can imagine with all those muscles in uncontrollable spasm, I was in a fair bit of pain!
                            My own fault of course, I hadn't been to my chiropractor for 3 months because it wasn't bugging me... Doh! I got the big lecture when I saw him on Monday about nurses and their backs and looking after myself, anyway, I won't make that mistake again.

I've been using my slow-cooker almost non-stop the last few days making casseroles and pot roasts. It's great that the weather has finally cooled down and I can start cooking this stuff again, I'm a bit sick of steak and salad.

I'll try to catch up with everyone over the next day or two. I've been off the PC because I'm starting to study up for exams and if I get online, I can lose hours so I'm better staying away. I'm also feeling like I waste a lot of time on the computer, not just on the forum but also the other blogs and things I follow. I need to balance things a little better I think....
                            My Journal

Comment

• Ooh, forgot to mention that I went to see my doc and told him about the palpitations and sleep issues. He was surprised and said I may be rather sensitive to Armour and not need as much as some other people. He was planning to up my dose again as winter is approaching but he actually reduced it a little. Instead of 3 grains daily, I'm alternating 3 grains one day with 2 1/4 the next. He wants to see me again in July to assess whether I need a winter increase.

So far good with the reduced dose, I'm not having the palpitations at night anymore but I haven't noticed any decrease in my energy levels either, so fingers crossed we've found the perfect dose for me.
                              My Journal

Comment

• Oh that's great news!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend. Will try to catch up better soon. I feel like I've missed a lot!

Comment

Working...
                                X