Primal Journal - NourishedEm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
    What a day!!! I think I've found my calling. I LOVE theatre!
    This is awesome!!!

Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
    I was telling my mum about it this afternoon and explaining how holding bits of people's guts out of the way so the surgeon can get to something is far more fun than wiping their arse 3 days post-op! She called me a sick fucker as she usually does when I talk about how much I love the guts and gore of my job.
    lmao!

Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Seriously though, I really think I could enjoy this kind of work. The hospital I work at offers a peri-operative 12-month graduate program which would be awesome I think. I need to wait and see what the next 2 weeks bring, but if I still feel this way after I finish prac, I'm going to apply for it.
    I'm so happy for you!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• I could not handle the blood and guts. Yuck! Glad you would like it too, it'd stink if nobody wanted that job! I prefer tangling myself in people's brains-- metaphorically speaking, of course.
      sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

• I think its great that you think you've found your calling... jeez I'm still looking for mine, its so well hidden! Cool. I couldnt handle the blood and guts myself but glad there are people out there than can!

I couldnt IF working days, it's just too hard, I've only done that one day IF until lunchtime and that was hard enough. For me, IFing is easier to skip dinner. Me loves my brekky!

Comment

• Theatre nurse, huh? I love watching surgery, too - it's so interesting to see all the hidden bits of people. In the end, though, I couldn't bear the long hours of standing. I also hated the bum-wiping bits, and also I LOATHE showering people - all hot and humid <shudder>. And I don't believe in universal vaccinations, so practice nursing was out. Mental health was the only thing left!! Lucky I love it, isn't it
          Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• Hi Em!
            Oh, how great is that that you are finding something you love! I, for one, am very grateful that there are people like you willing to hold the guts out of the way so the surgeon can see what he/she is doing! Methinks that graduate program has your name written all over it!

I like that you are really listening to your body - if IF'ing breakfast doesn't work for you, don't do it! Try dinner, perhaps? Just play around to find out what works.

(Very gentle) belly rubs to Charlie!
            50 yo single mom
            5'3"
            Primal since 12/1/2010. Now Whole30ing until I feel WHOLE again, my goals are no longer scale-related.

Aila's Primal Journey

"If I cling to circumstances, I could claim to be not responsible. Only she who says she did not choose is the loser in the end." Adrienne Rich

Comment

• Wow, surgery! I love hearing about all of this!
              My Primal Journal

Comment

• Oh Em that's fantastic! I think that would be an absolutely awesome job, and SO exciting!

I always liked dissecting in school, and cleaning animals is fascinating to me- after the proper respect is paid of course. But to see how everything fits together and works... anatomy is cool. And you're right, it sure does beat wiping butts!

Comment

• Originally posted by winencandy View Post
                  I'm so happy for you!
                  Thanks W'n'C!

Originally posted by Minxxa View Post
                  I could not handle the blood and guts. Yuck! Glad you would like it too, it'd stink if nobody wanted that job! I prefer tangling myself in people's brains-- metaphorically speaking, of course.
                  Lol, I leave that to you then. Isn't it lucky that we all have different interests? Speaking of tangling in brains, I'm going to see some neurosurgery today!

Originally posted by Suse View Post
                  I think its great that you think you've found your calling... jeez I'm still looking for mine, its so well hidden! Cool. I couldnt handle the blood and guts myself but glad there are people out there than can!
                  Thanks, it's not as gory as you might imagine, it's very sterile and clinical really. Just like a moving, pulsing anatomy lesson.

Originally posted by Jac View Post
                  Theatre nurse, huh? I love watching surgery, too - it's so interesting to see all the hidden bits of people. In the end, though, I couldn't bear the long hours of standing. I also hated the bum-wiping bits, and also I LOATHE showering people - all hot and humid <shudder>. And I don't believe in universal vaccinations, so practice nursing was out. Mental health was the only thing left!! Lucky I love it, isn't it
                  Oh God! The showering! That's one of the main reasons I moved to night shift, I am so with you there!! I think I would find practice nursing boring as batshit as a long-term career. Mental health? Mmmm, I have my mental health rotation in June, I'm not really looking forward to it. I'm afraid to say I have far too much of my British upbringing in me where I just expect people to have a stiff upper lip and just get on with it! I'm not sure I'm really suited to mental health, but I guess we'll see.

Originally posted by Aila View Post
                  Hi Em!
                  Oh, how great is that that you are finding something you love! I, for one, am very grateful that there are people like you willing to hold the guts out of the way so the surgeon can see what he/she is doing! Methinks that graduate program has your name written all over it!
                  Me too! After 2 days, I still think so.

Originally posted by Ellie G View Post
                  Wow, surgery! I love hearing about all of this!
                  That's cool, cos I like talking about it!

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                  Oh Em that's fantastic! I think that would be an absolutely awesome job, and SO exciting!

I always liked dissecting in school, and cleaning animals is fascinating to me- after the proper respect is paid of course. But to see how everything fits together and works... anatomy is cool. And you're right, it sure does beat wiping butts!
                  Anything beats wiping butts.

Anatomy is so exciting and it looks so different in real life than in a picture.

Well, it's 5.55am and I'm about to head in for day 3. Yesterday was equally awesome, I got to see a radical neck dissection and watch a surgeon peel a golf ball sized tumour off of a man's carotid artery! Now that's cool!!

The days are quite long and I'm getting pretty tired each day what with all the standing, but I'm sure it's great for my butt! I was out of the house for 12 hours exactly yesterday what with work and travel, I fell into bed at 8pm! If I decide to work there full-time, I think I will have to move closer to the city, the hour plus commute each way really adds to the day. It's a bugger as it only takes me 20 minutes to get there when I work nights... damn rush hour!

Eats Monday:
                  B: Coffee with cream
                  L: Beef stew, full-fat greek yoghurt and blueberries
                  D: Jacket potato with cheese, butter and shallots

Eats yesterday:
                  B: Coffee with cream
                  10am: Youghurt with blueberries and almonds.
                  L: Beef stew
                  D: Roast chicken and chips

Exercise: Nothing on top of standing up for 8 hours a day.

I'm really sorry I haven't got to everyone's journals so say hi and see how you are, I will tonight. I just crashed when I got home last night. I hope you're all doing great!
                  My Journal

Comment

• Lol, Em - talk to me when you get to your mh rotation!! It's not at all whiny, and there is nothing on this earth like having a conversation about what people's voices are telling them.
                    Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

I'm really sorry I haven't got to everyone's journals so say hi and see how you are, I will tonight. I just crashed when I got home last night. I hope you're all doing great!
                      No apologies necessary!
                      "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                      "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                      "Moderation sucks." Suse
                      "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                      "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• No apologies necessary! Life gets busy for all of us at some time or another. It sounds like in spite of the long days, they've been good ones! I'm so happy you're doing something you love!

Your food sounds absolutely delicious.

Enjoy your bed and your rest. You deserve it. <3

Comment

• yeah dont worry em, you're not missing anything exciting in my journal

Comment

Well, it's 5.55am and I'm about to head in for day 3. Yesterday was equally awesome, I got to see a radical neck dissection and watch a surgeon peel a golf ball sized tumour off of a man's carotid artery! Now that's cool!!
                            This made me LOL in my cube at work

Comment

• Originally posted by Jac View Post
                              Lol, Em - talk to me when you get to your mh rotation!! It's not at all whiny, and there is nothing on this earth like having a conversation about what people's voices are telling them.
                              Yeah maybe, I will as always go into a new area with enthusiasm and a willingness to learn, but I really don't think it's me.

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                              No apologies necessary! Life gets busy for all of us at some time or another. It sounds like in spite of the long days, they've been good ones! I'm so happy you're doing something you love!
                              They have indeed been good. I am having a ball!

Originally posted by bone_machine
                              For the first couple weeks of standing, that may be all you need. Reintroduce exercises once you're adjusted to the extra energy expenditure so as to avoid joint abuse or exhaustion.
                              Yeah, I think you're right. I am just exhausted with all the standing, I really don't think I have it in me to do anything else. I stood for 8 hours in total today, I sat for 30 minutes to eat my lunch but that was it! I'm buggered!

Originally posted by teelea View Post
                              This made me LOL in my cube at work
                              Always happy to provide a chuckle.

So, I skipped a day. I am so wiped out with the mental and physical exertion of working in theatre. All the new stuff to learn, 100s of instruments, procedures, routines and operations!! Plus all the standing. I'm just exhausted, happily, smilingly exhausted!
                              So yesterday, I got to observe a lumbar spinal fusion. I got to see vertebrae and spinal cord and lots and lots of blood. It was very interesting. Man they use some hardware when they're dealing with bones. Drills and screws and pins and rods. The surgical packs look just like very sophisticated toolkits!
                              Today... drumroll please.... I got to scrub in and do the case myself!! I got thrown in the deep end by this awesome orthopedic theatre nurse. I arrived for the morning thinking I'd be doing a little scouting, helping out with the easy stuff when she told me to scrub in and just do it! She scrubbed in too and helped me all the way by pointing stuff out and telling me what to have ready next, but I did it all! It was an ORIF of the clavicle, which means an open bone repair, they cut in and attach plates and screws. I got to play with one of those cool toolkits! We also had to washout a wound on his knee with this cool pistol things that sprays water under pressure and suctions it all back up again. We use it for infected or very dirty wounds. Anyway, the surgeon let me do the washout, so I got to play with the water pistol! It was super-cool!
                              Both the consultant and the registrar were really very nice to me and didn't get all shitty when I took too long to hand over an instrument or handed it over incorrectly. It was overall an excellent experience.

I also found out today that I can go back to theatre for my long 5 week prac in september/october. They usually don't like you to repeat a placement but since I'm such a theatre junkie and so excited about the whole process and I'm applying for the theatre grad program for next year, they've decided to let me go ahead. Woohoo!

So, it's late and I'm exhausted. I have another full day in the OR tomorrow (he-he) so I need to go catch some zzzzzz's. G'night all.
                              My Journal

Comment

• Your excitement is contagious!

That's so cool that they're letting you get in there... enjoy your day!
                                sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

Working...
                                X