Primal Journal - NourishedEm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
    I tell ya... this working out sure takes it out of you! I was in bed and asleep again by 9pm last night! Up at 6, 9 hours sleep!! That's unheard of for me! I feel much better for it though, I think I may stick to this early bedtime routine.
    Nice!

Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Here's some things to come out of the thread:
    1) You can't do swings to exhaustion otherwise you risk braining yourself
    LOL!
    2) Sprinting triggers awesome fat loss by virtue of being something that you can't do carrying a lot of extra weight, so you're training your body that you need to be smaller in order to do this activity that you're putting yourself through once a week
    3) There may be some psychological benefit in visualising that something scary is chasing you when you sprint, so you get that 'run for your life' feeling from it. I remember reading something about this when I read Jon Gabriels book too. This too triggers fat loss in your body because it's hard to run for your life when you're fat.

All very interesting. One thing is for sure, although I work out fairly hard, I don't ever get to falling down on the ground, gasping for breath exhaustion and that seems to be what sprinting is about. It's also probably why it's only recommended that you do it every 7-10 days.
    It IS very interesting...I should sprint more...I rarely do...

There's a very large sand-dune near my house, it has a reinforced path up the side (they've sunk old railway sleepers into it), it is very steep. I'm thinking that running up that as fast and hard as I can will be a pretty good sprinting exercise. I really am not ready to run on a flat surface yet, certainly not hell for leather anyway. I do jog a little when I'm out with Charlie, but running flat out scares me, because of my dodgy ankle, because there's too much jiggling going on and because if I fall, it's a long way down.
    At least if I fall while scrambling up a steep sandy hill, it's only a few inches between my hands and the deck. I'm far less likely to hurt myself.
    This sounds like a good idea!

Weighed in this morning, haven't lost any weight, but have dropped bodyfat and gained lean body mass, so I'm pretty happy about that.
    I'd be pretty happy about that too

Got my period, so am a bit crampy, but had no PMS and no breast tenderness. It just showed up out of the blue! I'm really happy about that!
    Also good? Although showing up "out of the blue" isn't always a good thing
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

fried seaweed
      Oh wow, that sounds amazing and I probably never would've thought of it on my own. Thanks, now I know what I'll be eating tomorrow.

Congrats on the fat loss/muscle gain!
      I read your sprinting thread earlier, and I really need to start implementing some sprints into my life. I tried to when I was walking home from my sister's house, but I was wearing loose sandals. Definitely not proper sprinting gear, lol.

Comment

• Hi Amazon Em!

Just popping by to say that I love your boyfriend's comment "She's a gorgeous Amazon!" How awesome!

And on another topic entirely, I also notice the difference in how my body responds to my period since going primal. Much better, imho. How great that you had no PMS this time!
        50 yo single mom
        5'3"
        Primal since 12/1/2010. Now Whole30ing until I feel WHOLE again, my goals are no longer scale-related.

Aila's Primal Journey

"If I cling to circumstances, I could claim to be not responsible. Only she who says she did not choose is the loser in the end." Adrienne Rich

Comment

• Em, today's update just made me smile.

1) Big congratulations on the body recomposition! I really need to get my ass in gear!

2) You're really making me want to sprint AND play with kettlebells! I have a hard time running to max and my imagination isn't good enough to pretend I'm being chased. Chasing and racing, however, get me going.

3) You ARE a gorgeous Amazon!

4) W00t on the awesome sleeps!

Comment

• Originally posted by Enamel View Post
            Oh wow, that sounds amazing and I probably never would've thought of it on my own. Thanks, now I know what I'll be eating tomorrow.
            I had this at a restaurant years ago and have just got into eating seaweed again recently since I found the most amazing asian deli near my house. They sell these round cakes of sliced, dried seaweed which you can rehydrate in soup or chuck into some oil and fry till crispy. Add a little salt and pepper and it is delish!

Originally posted by Enamel View Post
            I read your sprinting thread earlier, and I really need to start implementing some sprints into my life. I tried to when I was walking home from my sister's house, but I was wearing loose sandals. Definitely not proper sprinting gear, lol.
            No, probably not.

Originally posted by Aila View Post
            Just popping by to say that I love your boyfriend's comment "She's a gorgeous Amazon!" How awesome!
            He is pretty awesome!

And on another topic entirely, I also notice the difference in how my body responds to my period since going primal. Much better, imho. How great that you had no PMS this time!
            I know, right!?

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
            2) You're really making me want to sprint AND play with kettlebells! I have a hard time running to max and my imagination isn't good enough to pretend I'm being chased. Chasing and racing, however, get me going.
            Well, when you come visit, we can chase each other around the lake.

I made myself buckle down and study today, so I'm late catching up on everyone's journals, including my own. I ended up having an unscheduled rest day yesterday, I know, I know, it was only what? 2 days ago I said no rest days unless scheduled... DOH! Thing is I was planning to do my push-up practice in the evening, but then I forgot and had my dinner and then was way too full to exercise. However.. I did not let this turn into an extended rest and today I did both my NROLFW and push-up practice today. See I'm good really.

I did some good work on my paper today, I should knock it over this weekend. I hope so anyway, I've got a practical assessment on Monday and it would be nice to have the paper out of the way.

I was really hungry today and yesterday. Since I'm not dieting or restricting food (if I say it often enough, I might start believing it ) I just went with it.

Eats yesterday:
            B: Coffee with cream, smoothie made with unflavoured WPI powder, blueberries, coconut oil and kefir that I made from my raw milk.
            L: You know what? For the life of me I can't remember! I'm racking my brains here, but I haven't a clue.
            D: Lamb cooked in the slow cooker with horseradish and mustard, sweet and white potato mash, carrots and green beans
            S: 2 squares 85%, packet of kimchi flavoured seaweed snacks, 3 brazil nuts, coffee with cream

After I picked all the meat off the lamb leg, I put the bones back in the liquid in the slow-cooker, added some carrots, celery and onion, a little more water and left it for another 24 hours. I got some awesome gelatinous stock from it and rendered a good amount of gorgeous lamb fat from it too. I lurve lamb fat!!
            I put the leftover meat back in the stock, added a packet of spinach and a couple of cups of cooked rice and it made soup for our dinner tonight. Man it was delicious!

A word about squats, my form sucks arse. It's why I can't do back-squats, I'm putting way too much of my weight on my toes and my knees are tracking too far over my feet. I only put 30lbs on the bar today and really concentrated on getting my arse back and down, it worked much better. I need to stick to lighter weights until I can use the proper form without thinking about it.
            My Journal

Comment

I ended up having an unscheduled rest day yesterday, I know, I know, it was only what? 2 days ago I said no rest days unless scheduled... DOH! Thing is I was planning to do my push-up practice in the evening, but then I forgot and had my dinner and then was way too full to exercise. However.. I did not let this turn into an extended rest and today I did both my NROLFW and push-up practice today. See I'm good really.
              Of course you are

I was really hungry today and yesterday. Since I'm not dieting or restricting food (if I say it often enough, I might start believing it ) I just went with it.
              Good for you!

L: You know what? For the life of me I can't remember! I'm racking my brains here, but I haven't a clue.
              HA!
              "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
              "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
              "Moderation sucks." Suse
              "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• So, I'm inspired by Mark's blog today to have a look at the past 3 months. What has happened, goals I've achieved and/or progressed with and to re-evaluate my goals for the next 3 months.
                First things first, weight and measurements. This was a surprise to me as I had this idea in my head that there'd been no change in the last 3 months. But... here are the results:

1st column is Jan 1, 2011. 2nd column is April 1, 2011. 3rd Column is any changes +/-

Wt: 103kg 99.3kg - 3.7kg
                BF%: 57.4% 52.7% - 4.7%
                LBM%: 21.2% 23.2% + 2.0%

This is using my bodyfat scales. My calipers say that my BF% is a fair bit lower than this (35%), but the scale is the one consistant thing I can use to track my progress.

Waist: 99cm 94cm - 5cm
                Hip: 115cm 112cm - 3cm
                Abdo: 118cm 114cm - 4cm
                Chest: 96cm 90cm - 6cm
                Bust: 113cm 105cm - 8cm
                Thigh: 69cm 67cm - 2cm
                Arm: 37cm 37cm /
                (The formatting here sucks! This is all in nice columns when I type it out, sorry for the mess.)

This Jan-Mar quarter has seen me find an awesome doctor and finally begin treatment for my adrenal and thyroid issues. The biggest improvement in my life since January is my increased energy and mood. My desire for life is coming back and with that my ambition and drive. I have also managed to get rid of every trace of dermatitis and excema on my body. From having red, raw and insanely itchy hands and ankles, I now have nothing, nada, zip, zilch. If nothing else had improved in these 3 months, I would be as happy as a clam with this alone.

Ok, now you're going to need to be kind to me, because I'm going to post some photos. They are very much before and during photos and although they show improvement, I still have a long way to go. So.... Here goes

Thank God I finally figured out how to use Picassa cos those photos were scarily large originally!!

I know the difference is not huge, but everything looks a little bit tighter and that's good enough for me (for now!).

My goals for January were (from my diary):
                Eat below 30g carbs
                Avoid dairy
                Workout 3 times per week
                Eat within 30m of waking
                Fruit only on 'carb-spike' day
                Get plenty of protein
                Look after my skin
                De-clutter my house

Well, eating low-carb saw me have a severe energy crash and my body hold onto bodyfat with a death-like grip! Eating high-protein gave me digestive issues. Eating early in the morning makes me starving for the rest of the day. Dairy is delicious and I have no reaction to it. What the f@#k is wrong with fruit!! My skin is looking amazing, thanks to my hormones getting back on track and a shot of coconut oil everyday. My house? Mmmm, well.... I'll get there.

So new goals incorporating what I've learned this quarter:

Eat in a 16/8 hour window (except for coconut oil shot and a little cream in coffee).
                Eat moderate protein
                Eat 100g of starch daily (then add vegies, do NOT count the carbs in veg, it's ridiculous)
                Eat a little fermented raw dairy everyday
                Workout 3-4 times weekly
                Work on pull-ups and 100 push-up program
                Continue to look after my skin
                De-clutter my house (har-har).

I'm going to do this again at the beginning of July, it's been fun!
                My Journal

Comment

• You're looking amazing, Em! Way to incorporate your past experiences into your new goals. You're making it work for YOU! (Also, you're reminding me to add "more fermented foods" to my "sometime when I'm ready to tackle these" list of Primal goals!)
                  My Primal Journal

Comment

• WOWEE, Em!! You look AMAZING!! No kidding, is hard for me to imagine that you thought there was no difference! That is, I suppose, one of the functions of objective measurements - they cannot be disputed, despite our own dysmorphism...

Not only do you look leaner, healthier and happier, but your hair is super cute!

What a treat to pop in here and find your progress pics. I was only stopping by to catch up, and then found such great inspiration! (And since I took a great big deep breath and posted by first progress pics yesterday, I can totally relate to the courage it takes to put yourself out there like that...)

I've been inspired by you to find a good local source of seaweed. I love it, all kinds I've ever had (I grew up on the ocean), but my usually fabulous grocery only carries small, individually wrapped slices in snack form. My kids love that, so I get it for them, but it is not really what I'm looking for for cooking. There is a big Asian market not too far from me, so I'll check them out.

I too was inspired by Mark's post yesterday, and planned a similar post today. Thanks for the nudge!
                    50 yo single mom
                    5'3"
                    Primal since 12/1/2010. Now Whole30ing until I feel WHOLE again, my goals are no longer scale-related.

Aila's Primal Journey

"If I cling to circumstances, I could claim to be not responsible. Only she who says she did not choose is the loser in the end." Adrienne Rich

Comment

• em, you are looking bloody great!!!! I totally second this
                      Not only do you look leaner, healthier and happier, but your hair is super cute!

Comment

• Great progress, NE! Yay! And you look so much healthier and happier. Just better, if that makes sense.
                        August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

• I am like you, too low on carbs and the scale is stuck! Great job on your three month progress!
                          Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

• Great Big Congratulations!

You're doing absolutely fantastic! I really like your goals from now thru July and will be looking to see more update photos. Absolutely fantastic so far!

Way to go chica! Very proud of you.

Comment

• Excellent progress!!!
                              I can see it

And you DO look happier

I really like your 3 month "reflection" I should do something similar...
                              "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Originally posted by Ellie G View Post
                                You're looking amazing, Em! Way to incorporate your past experiences into your new goals. You're making it work for YOU!
                                Well, you've got to learn from your mistakes right? Fearing fruit and counting the carbs in broccoli was definitely a mistake!

WOWEE, Em!! You look AMAZING!! No kidding, is hard for me to imagine that you thought there was no difference! That is, I suppose, one of the functions of objective measurements - they cannot be disputed, despite our own dysmorphism...

Thanks Aila! That's nice since it was just-out-of-bed hair, but I'll take it.

Yeah, body dysmorphism..... Taking measurements really helps with that, especially since I've been the same weight for 15 months now, give or take a couple of kilos each way. It's nice to have confirmation that some change is occuring, even if the scale doesn't really show it.

Originally posted by Suse View Post
                                em, you are looking bloody great!!!!
                                Why shucks! Thanks.

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                                Great progress, NE! Yay! And you look so much healthier and happier. Just better, if that makes sense.
                                Better....? I'll take better.

Originally posted by NutMeg View Post
                                I am like you, too low on carbs and the scale is stuck! Great job on your three month progress!
                                Yeah, the low-carb fanaticism around here makes it sound like the holy grail of weight loss, for some of us, it just doesn't bloody work!

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                                Great Big Congratulations!

You're doing absolutely fantastic! I really like your goals from now thru July and will be looking to see more update photos. Absolutely fantastic so far!

Way to go chica! Very proud of you.
                                Thanks sweetheart! Now that I'm getting healthy and my meds are working, I foresee my July photos being very different!

Originally posted by winencandy View Post
                                And you DO look happier
                                That's probably because I no longer feel like I have the metabolism of a nailed-down slug.

Wow folks! Thanks for all the wonderful feedback! You really know how to make a girl feel good.

I thought I looked better, but then I've thought that before, taken measurements and found that I'm exactly where I was before. It's given me the idea that my sense of myself is completely fucked up. This time the measurements backed up my observations which is great.

I've had a pretty busy weekend hence my scarcity around here. Saturday I took the kids out shopping for new school shoes, it's not even the end of first term and they need new shoes. I think I'm going to have to stop feeding them so well or they're going to be 6 feet tall by the time they're 12! I also got the twins new watches and Jamie got some new craft supplies. He's been madly colouring in his new 'ocean scene' picture ever since.

Saturday night we had a movie night and watched 4 episodes of Man Vs Wild back-to-back. The kids love it, I think it's pretty cool although a lot of it is pretty contrived. He was swimming across a river in the Everglades in one episode and the kids were saying "what if an alligator gets him?" I had to explain that the sharp shooter in the boat that you couldn't see would shoot it. It is pretty cool watching him eat really gross stuff though, some of the things (such as alligator, snake and turtle) I would certainly munch on. Ants, scorpions and grubs though? Uh yeah, I've got enough fuel on my arse that I'll survive just fine without them.

Sunday Pete and I took our brood to the local wave and waterslide park and then had a bbq lunch at his place. It was fun, even though you need eyes in the back of your head to keep track of 5 kids in a swimming pool! We spent last night buried in our respective kindles, I'm nearly at the end of the third book in the Lisbeth Salander series. Damn the third book is excellent! The first two were good, but this one is awesome!

I've got a practical assessment at Uni today. I'll either be assessed on emergency airway management or chest pain management, I won't know till I get in there. I feel ok about it now, but I know I'll get nervous as hell once I'm in there. You get 2 more shots at it if you fail the first assessment, but I've never needed a second assessment yet and I don't intend to start now!

Night-shift tonight, bleck.. Still, a girl's got to earn a living.

Eats Saturday:
                                B: Coffee with cream
                                L: Veal liver curry over sweet potato mash
                                D: Chicken carbonara made with rice noodles

Eats Sunday:
                                B: Coffee with cream
                                L: The tiniest ribeye steak I've ever seen with salad
                                D: 100g dark chocolate and 1/2 a bottle of wine. Mmm, not the best choice but I wasn't really hungry.

Exercise:
                                Saturday: 5 x 5 band-assisted pull-ups
                                Sunday: Scheduled rest day, but a fair bit of swimming.
                                My Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X