X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting observations on the KSOs. I wish mine didn't hurt my toes
    Your chain sounds lovely.
    Your lunch, not so much...that sucks about the lack of gulten free items
    Nice bootie score, although here a bootie score doesn't mean perfume...
    Your supper sounds MUCH better than your lunch!
    Have fun studying
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• so much to read in your journal as usual.

yes I'm worried about the care of patients given what you've told me.. remind me to stay healthy!

your VFFs look cute!

Is everyone doing the pull up challenge or something, or does it just feel that way. Glad you're back into the workouts with a vengeance.

so you're going kayaking huh edit... shit missed a whole page of posts... you didnt go kayaking????
      Last edited by Suse; 03-27-2011, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
        Hi Greensprout! Gosh, you must have seen some things in 20 years! What area are you working in at the moment?
        I hear you about the know-it-all attitude, that seems to be the worst thing about these younger students. If they knew that they were fucking useless, they might be slightly less dangerous! As my CNS at work says, a confident grad is a dangerous grad.
        I'm currently in more of an admin job, program manager for aeromedical evacuation aka flight nursing. I do get to go back to the surgical ICU to do "clinical skill maintenance", though it's not been happening since last spring, although I anticipate getting back there soon. I also have a casual staff RN job in a trauma centre adult ER where I go for some weekend shifts, though again, scheduling hasn't worked out much recently. I do see some new grads from time to time that are amazing, and give me hope for the future. The others? There are days when I really hope that me and my family don't need acute medical care anytime soon.

Nice work on your lifting. I was leery of the deadlifts too, due to low back muscle strain last spring. I used the videos from the stronglifts website which helped a lot, and it feels right. Remember to tighten and pull with your glutes and push your hips forward when coming up, or as my lifting 15 year old son says "humping the air". I'm using the NROLFW, just finished level 1, and went from feeling the deadlifts in not a good way with 45 lbs up to using 75 lbs easy in a few weeks. Form is the key.
        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by peril View Post
          Re walking in VFFs, try leaning forward a little, keeping your body straight. You get a sort of falling over feeling at first but it helps shorten your stride and give you a midfoot strike. Enables you to power along once you get used to it
          Thanks for the VFF tip, I tried that yesterday and it works pretty well.

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
          Yeah you'll get used to walking in them before you know it. I actually find I walk faster and am very dashy-darty sometimes- lol. You'll find that you start using different muscles in your feet and ankles too.
          Yeah, they make me feel really light on my feet, just less 'bouncy' than I do in well-cushioned running shoes.

Originally posted by winencandy View Post
          Interesting observations on the KSOs. I wish mine didn't hurt my toes
          Yeah, I overdid it yesterday, now my feet are sore. The guy at the store did warn me to break them in gently, I didn't listen. I'll have to leave them be for a few days now.

Originally posted by Suse View Post
          Is everyone doing the pull up challenge or something, or does it just feel that way.
          I don't know about everyone, but yeah I think a few of us are in the challenge. It makes me work harder knowing I have to be accountable to someone else.

Glad you're back into the workouts with a vengeance.
          Me too, I can't tell you how wonderful it is that I actually have the energy again to do something!

Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
          I do see some new grads from time to time that are amazing, and give me hope for the future. The others? There are days when I really hope that me and my family don't need acute medical care anytime soon.
          There are some great ones, that's for sure. I'll be one of them next year.

Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
          Nice work on your lifting. I was leery of the deadlifts too, due to low back muscle strain last spring. I used the videos from the stronglifts website which helped a lot, and it feels right. Remember to tighten and pull with your glutes and push your hips forward when coming up, or as my lifting 15 year old son says "humping the air". I'm using the NROLFW, just finished level 1, and went from feeling the deadlifts in not a good way with 45 lbs up to using 75 lbs easy in a few weeks. Form is the key.
          Thanks for the tips, I'll check out the stronglifts website for the videos too. I'm dong NROLFW too, but I'm alternating with the 5 x 5 thing weekly. What can I say, I get bored really easily. The NROLFW level one has only 2 workouts for 6 weeks as you know and I want to mix it up and include some more explosive movements such as clean and press, plus I want to include pull-ups so I can work on my progression for the pull-up challenge.

Wow, what a crazy 24 hours! I took Charlie to the lake yesterday for a walk. He is really good about walking off the lead so we were walking along with him darting in and out of the bush like he does when suddenly a kangeroo bounded across the path in front of him and he was gone. He took off like a shot after the roo and he didn't come back! I stayed at the lake for 2 hours calling him and trying to find him. I came home because I hadn't taken my phone walking, so that I could call the ranger to let them know he was missing, then I went back and looked for him again. I couldn't find him.
          I had to go home and get some sleep because I had to work last night, so I diverted my phone to Pete and he took over the search, looking for him for another couple of hours. Nothing.
          I went to work and was just crazy with worry, imagining all sorts of horrible things. I got home this morning, still no word about Charlie. I went to bed, again diverting my phone to Pete. I'd been asleep for one hour when I heard Pete's key in the door and my puppy scratching at the door trying to get to me! He's home!!! He's filthy and exhausted, he's been flat out on the floor fast asleep for the last 2 hours.
          A lady found him this morning, hanging out in the carpark where I park when we walk at the lake. It took her almost an hour to catch him, but she finally managed to tempt him with a bowl of water, he must have been really parched! He's obviously been walking in the mud where the lake used to be, because he's got dry mud up to his belly. He needs a bath, but I'm letting him sleep for now as he must have had a big night out in the bush by himself.
          I'm so relieved that he's safe. I was convinced he'd been attacked by the roo or bitten by a snake, I was so scared.

Anyway.... back to normal programming...

Eats yesterday:
          B: Coffee with cream.
          L: Veal liver curry (OMG, amazing!!), rice and green beans.
          D: Salad made with HB egg, sardines, avocado and kimchi over a pile of spring leaves.
          S: 4 squares 85%, coffee with cream

Exercise:
          5 x 5 Clean and press @ 50lbs
          5 x 5 Dips off my garden wall (15" high), arse to the ground and back up.
          5 x 5 Pullups with foot in my Woody band
          Walking for about 3 hours all up!

I've had 3 hours sleep in the last 30 hours, but I feel fine, adrenalin from the stress over Charlie is keeping me going I think, I anticipate a massive crash later.

I'm going to do some push-up practice later, finally doing week 2 of the 100 push-up program! Other than that, I'm going to wash my dog, cuddle up with him on the couch and finish my book.
          My Journal

Comment

• Oh! How scary about the dog, I am glad he came home to you!
            Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

• Originally posted by NutMeg View Post
              Oh! How scary about the dog, I am glad he came home to you!
              +1! Have just had dog drama in my life, too. Loving them is heartbreaking sometimes.
              Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• Hey Em, congrats on the VFFs and I am glad Charlie is ok. Looks like you're doing good with the lifting and eating as well - yay!
                Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Comment

• Wow, crazy day that Charlie had! I can't leave Jinxie off lead for that very reason... as soon as she sees something she's off like a shot! I'm so glad you had help finding him! That rocks!

And nice that you're feeling all up and workout-y again! I'm hoping to hit it on the next level of NROLFW when I get back next week. I need it BAD.
                  sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

• Oh how scary! I'm so glad Charlie made it home!

Your workout looks fantastic! I really need to get back on it. *sigh*

Veal liver curry... that sounds fascinating. I may have to give that one a go next time I have liver.

Comment

• OMG if either of my dogs had been missing that long I would have been a wreck! Doesnt it just make yuo want to hug them and scold them when they get back. That is why my two cant be trusted off lead, if they saw a cat (or a bird... or an anything really ) they would be off like shots. I wonder if charlie just got lost, got so far away he couldnt hear you. I would have been a big panicky mess. I remember when Leo took off after some birds in the off leash wetlands area we have close by (not off leash with me any more since this), he got into the water and was swimming around in the middle of this swamp and he would not come back, its like their ears close over when they are chasing something. When he eventually tired, he came out and his eyes were out on stalks he was so over excited. I wanted to beat the living daylights out of him, but lucky for him, by this stage quite a crowd had gathered

Comment

• Originally posted by NutMeg View Post
                        Oh! How scary about the dog, I am glad he came home to you!
                        Originally posted by Jac View Post
                        +1! Have just had dog drama in my life, too. Loving them is heartbreaking sometimes.
                        Originally posted by Sungrazer View Post
                        I am glad Charlie is ok.
                        Originally posted by Minxxa View Post
                        Wow, crazy day that Charlie had! I can't leave Jinxie off lead for that very reason... as soon as she sees something she's off like a shot! I'm so glad you had help finding him! That rocks!
                        Oh how scary! I'm so glad Charlie made it home!
                        OMG if either of my dogs had been missing that long I would have been a wreck! Doesnt it just make yuo want to hug them and scold them when they get back. That is why my two cant be trusted off lead, if they saw a cat (or a bird... or an anything really) they would be off like shots. I wonder if charlie just got lost, got so far away he couldnt hear you. I would have been a big panicky mess. I remember when Leo took off after some birds in the off leash wetlands area we have close by (not off leash with me any more since this), he got into the water and was swimming around in the middle of this swamp and he would not come back, its like their ears close over when they are chasing something. When he eventually tired, he came out and his eyes were out on stalks he was so over excited. I wanted to beat the living daylights out of him, but lucky for him, by this stage quite a crowd had gathered
                        Thanks lovely peeps. I'm glad he's ok, aside from being a bit more sooky (I would have never thought that possible!) than usual and a couple of scratches on his undercarriage, he's no worse for wear. Suse, yeah.. wreck sums it up pretty well. By the time he got back I was over the scolding impulse, I just hugged him to death, stinky mud and all!
                        He's always been so good off the lead, he's never run off and always comes when called, but then he's never seen a roo up close before either. Obviously that was too much of a temptation. There's a lot of them around at the moment, they're obviously coming closer to civilisation looking for water, it's been so dry, all the natural waterways are just bogs. I'll just keep him on the lead from now on unless we're at the beach.

Originally posted by Sungrazer View Post
                        Hey Em, Looks like you're doing good with the lifting and eating as well - yay!
                        Originally posted by Minxxa View Post
                        And nice that you're feeling all up and workout-y again! I'm hoping to hit it on the next level of NROLFW when I get back next week. I need it BAD.
                        Your workout looks fantastic! I really need to get back on it. *sigh*
                        It took some doing to get back into the routine, let me tell you! But now I'm there I'm feeling much happier. No more days off for me unless they're planned rest days, it's too easy for me to let one day turn into 4 which turns into 2 weeks! No more excuses! (for me I mean, not you guys )

Veal liver curry... that sounds fascinating. I may have to give that one a go next time I have liver.
                        It is seriously awesome. I used one of the Shan spice mixes called (funnily enough) Liver Curry Spice Mix. Really easy recipe, you just need onions, ghee, tomatoes and yoghurt. There's no fillers or starches in the Shan spices either, just salt and spices. I highly recommend all of them.

Yesterday is a blur. I was so tired that I lost the ability to form sentences. Seriously, it was like trying to hold a conversation with a really drunk person (Pete's words). I went to bed at 9pm and slept like a heavy, dead log until 6.30 this morning when the alarm cruelly woke me.
                        Washing Charlie was NOT fun either. That sticky bottom-of-the-lake mud stank of dried fish and was almost impossible to get off. I ended up having to comb it all out with a very fine comb. Thank the Gods that he has been clipped recently or I would probably have had to shave him. Anyway, he's all clean and fresh now and smelling of eucalyptus.

Eats yesterday:
                        B: Coffee with cream
                        L: 2 HB eggs, 1/2 large avocado and kimchi salad (thanks W'n'C, this is my new favourite )
                        D: 2 Gluten-free grass-fed beef sausages, yes really, I was too tired to cook. They were in the fridge and easy. Pete bought the kids takeaway and didn't mind eating cold sausages for dinner because I was too tired to cook, I really love that man!

Exercise:
                        Day 1 of week 2 - 100 push-up program - 5 sets of:
                        max, I managed to knock out 8.

Sprint day today, planning on using my kettlebell to 'sprint' with. Will see how I go.
                        My Journal

Comment

He's home!!! He's filthy and exhausted, he's been flat out on the floor fast asleep for the last 2 hours.
                          I'm so relieved that he's safe. I was convinced he'd been attacked by the roo or bitten by a snake, I was so scared.
                          Other than that, I'm going to wash my dog, cuddle up with him on the couch and finish my book.
                          Qh, I'm SO glad he's back home safe and sound!!!

I can't imaging how horrible that must have been for you!!!

I hope you enjoyed your cuddle

OMG if either of my dogs had been missing that long I would have been a wreck!
                          THIS!

eta: We posted at the same time
                          I'm glad you like the salad
                          Last edited by winencandy; 03-29-2011, 07:12 PM.
                          "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                          "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                          "Moderation sucks." Suse
                          "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                          "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Washing Charlie was NOT fun either. That sticky bottom-of-the-lake mud stank of dried fish and was almost impossible to get off.
                            oh yeah, I hear you on this...

Comment

He's always been so good off the lead, he's never run off and always comes when called, but then he's never seen a roo up close before either. Obviously that was too much of a temptation. There's a lot of them around at the moment, they're obviously coming closer to civilisation looking for water, it's been so dry, all the natural waterways are just bogs.
                              This is a case where I can totally identify with your doggie. It would be too much of a temptation for me too. Heck, I have enough trouble not diving after rabbits, squirrels and woodchucks. Only thing that keeps me back is not really having the guts to dive on it, and knowing what to do when I do!

Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                              It took some doing to get back into the routine, let me tell you! But now I'm there I'm feeling much happier. No more days off for me unless they're planned rest days, it's too easy for me to let one day turn into 4 which turns into 2 weeks! No more excuses! (for me I mean, not you guys )
                              I. Must. Do. This.

It is seriously awesome. I used one of the Shan spice mixes called (funnily enough) Liver Curry Spice Mix. Really easy recipe, you just need onions, ghee, tomatoes and yoghurt. There's no fillers or starches in the Shan spices either, just salt and spices. I highly recommend all of them.
                              Ohhh, I'll look into it. I'm about to do more Amazon shopping for groceries once I get my free student Prime account.

Yesterday is a blur. I was so tired that I lost the ability to form sentences. Seriously, it was like trying to hold a conversation with a really drunk person (Pete's words). I went to bed at 9pm and slept like a heavy, dead log until 6.30 this morning when the alarm cruelly woke me.
                              I'm having one of those days today. By 7pm I will be braindead, thus doing my friendy's journals NOW.

Washing Charlie was NOT fun either. That sticky bottom-of-the-lake mud stank of dried fish and was almost impossible to get off. I ended up having to comb it all out with a very fine comb. Thank the Gods that he has been clipped recently or I would probably have had to shave him. Anyway, he's all clean and fresh now and smelling of eucalyptus.
                              This is one case it would be worth paying a groomer.

Comment

• I tell ya... this working out sure takes it out of you! I was in bed and asleep again by 9pm last night! Up at 6, 9 hours sleep!! That's unheard of for me! I feel much better for it though, I think I may stick to this early bedtime routine.

So I did my version of sprints yesterday. 60s of kettlebell swings with 2 minutes rest in between. My HR was up at 90-95% of maximum at the end of each set. I only managed to do 4 sets before I was buggered. I started a thread over on the fitness board about sprinting and got some interesting responses. Basically the theme seems to be that KB swings are an awesome exercise for some HIIT but they are not really ticking the boxes that sprinting is supposed to. Here's some things to come out of the thread:
                                1) You can't do swings to exhaustion otherwise you risk braining yourself
                                2) Sprinting triggers awesome fat loss by virtue of being something that you can't do carrying a lot of extra weight, so you're training your body that you need to be smaller in order to do this activity that you're putting yourself through once a week
                                3) There may be some psychological benefit in visualising that something scary is chasing you when you sprint, so you get that 'run for your life' feeling from it. I remember reading something about this when I read Jon Gabriels book too. This too triggers fat loss in your body because it's hard to run for your life when you're fat.

All very interesting. One thing is for sure, although I work out fairly hard, I don't ever get to falling down on the ground, gasping for breath exhaustion and that seems to be what sprinting is about. It's also probably why it's only recommended that you do it every 7-10 days.
                                There's a very large sand-dune near my house, it has a reinforced path up the side (they've sunk old railway sleepers into it), it is very steep. I'm thinking that running up that as fast and hard as I can will be a pretty good sprinting exercise. I really am not ready to run on a flat surface yet, certainly not hell for leather anyway. I do jog a little when I'm out with Charlie, but running flat out scares me, because of my dodgy ankle, because there's too much jiggling going on and because if I fall, it's a long way down.
                                At least if I fall while scrambling up a steep sandy hill, it's only a few inches between my hands and the deck. I'm far less likely to hurt myself.

Anyway, today is push-up practice day, day 2 of week 2. I am definitely getting stronger, I think by the time I hit the end of week 4, I'm going to re-do the test but this time try full hands and toes push-ups (I'm doing hands and knees right now). If I can manage even a couple, then I'll go back to week one but doing full push-ups.

Eats yesterday:
                                B: Coffee with cream
                                L: Soup made with my chicken bone broth, leftover beef sausage, coconut oil, silverbeet, rice noodles and some fried seaweed on top. I was using up leftovers hence the strange combination, but it was yum!
                                D: Patties made with grass-fed beef mince in a bone marrow tomato sauce that I had frozen from when I cooked osso bucco and had too much sauce. Served on top of white and sweet potato mash and tons of broccoli.
                                S: 3 brazil nuts, coffee, about 25g pork rinds with salsa, 2 squares 85%

Exercise:
                                Afore mentioned KB swings with my 16kg bell. 4 x 60 seconds of swings worked out at about 120 swings all up.

Weighed in this morning, haven't lost any weight, but have dropped bodyfat and gained lean body mass, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Got my period, so am a bit crampy, but had no PMS and no breast tenderness. It just showed up out of the blue! I'm really happy about that!
                                My Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X