• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bone_machine
    Congrats, that is fantastic!
    I know, right!? Seriously happy here

Originally posted by Minxxa View Post
    Em, congrats on the weight loss! I posted some info on your separate thyroid thread... but there are also some articles posted in the hypothyroid forum, if you go to GROUPS.

Your thyroid may or may not be an issue... it could just be out of whack due to other hormones being out of whack and if so, then primal eating and low stress lifestyle will help bring that back in order. You didn't say what your test results were, but just to reclarify what I said on that thread, anything over a 2 for your TSH means something's out of balance. And under the guidelines the American Endocrinologists Association wants to pass, the lab range should be .3-3.0 for TSH (currently it's .5-5.0 but that's under a lot of debate as to being usable). So a TSH if 8 is REALLY up and over even the modest lab ranges they use now. But then, perhaps these are different measurements? Are you Canadian?

There are a lot of hypothyroid ladies on this forum, so you should be able to get some good info from experience!

PS the fact that you did just lose weight is a good sign... I have lost weight once in the past almost 6 years. Seriously. Even going to 1200 calories and walking an hour every day I wasn't losing and sometimes gained... so the fact that you're still able to lose weight is good!
    I'm an Aussie hon, though I hear we're very similar to the Canucks

My average daily calorie intake last week was 1952. Some days only 1300, some days 2500, I don't exercise everyday either. As I mentioned in response to all the wonderful feedback I got on my other thread, I really don't feel like I have anything wrong with me, but then I may just have got used to a lower level of normal.

As to the weightloss, since I had my third child in 2005, I've lost over 30kgs (66Ibs). It has had it's ups and downs, for example, I actually got down to 88kgs but then got back on the carb wagon and gained 20kgs again, jesus I was pissed off with myself!! I'm on my way back down again now, I'm 8kgs down since I re-started my low-carb plan.

Another thing, I've always suffered from a really irritating kind of dermatitis, it only manifests on my hands and ankles and (of all friggin places!) around my mouth. I'm wondering if it may be related to dairy intake as this is something I have never given up, not even for a day. As of today I'm going dairy free anyway. I cut down last week but was still drinking cream in my coffee, I've finally run out of that and I had coconut cream in my coffee this morning. I already gave cheese the flick last week so I may as well get serious and see what happens when I eliminate dairy completely. I'm gonna give it a solid 4 weeks and see if I notice any other positive changes.

So, yesterday. I remembered that i had a kilo of pork belly in the fridge so I roasted that up and ate about half of it over the course of the day, dear sweet jesus, is there anything better than crispy cracklin' pig skin and fat! I made up a green smoothie and drank about half then had the most awful gurgling gas and the runs. That's just proved it, I cannot take large quantities of coconut milk, it just goes straight through me! I had a couple of vodka sodas in the evening too. No veggies or fruit though, except in the smoothie - will make up for that today.
    Got out for an hour on the beach with the pooch, wore my new HR monitor and sat comfortably at about 70% of maximum the whole time, was barefoot too!

Plan for today:

Breakfast: Coffee with coconut cream

Lunch: What else?! Pork belly with a BAS

Dinner: bf is cooking ribeye steak with a big greek style salad... Oh that reminds me, will have to leave the feta out of mine.

Exercise: LHT workout and beach walk.
    My Journal

Comment

Yesterday went as planned except I had sauteed asparagus and chinese broccoli in ghee with lemon and pinenuts instead of the greek salad, plus half a bottle of a damned good red and a little dark chocolate.
      I didn't get to my LHT workout either but I did do the walk.

So today I got my bloodwork back and my TSH levels have gone down but are still above normal, my free T4 is good but my free T3 is 0.2 higher than the lowest end of normal and my TPO antibodies are normal too so I really don't know what that means. Without antibodies, I'm assuming I don't have Hashimotos, but obviously I have some sort of conversion problem. I've spent the day researching ways to improve thyroid function and have come up with lots of easily implemented things I can do like increase coconut oil consumption and iodine-containing foods, plus cutting out peanuts. The other things that are suggested are things I'm doing anyway.
      I have to see my GP on Monday and I'm hoping she's not going to try and put me on thyroxine since I clearly don't have an issue with my T4, if I can get her to give me Armour that'll be great, but I'll be happy with T3 supplementation, Tertroxin it's called here. I'm tempted to try and fix it myself and get re-tested in 6 months. I'll have to have a think.

Anyway today:
      Breakfast: Coconut coffee with sausage, egg and sauerkraut

Lunch: A packet of pork rinds dunked in chicken liver pate (OMG!!)

Dinner: Slow-roasted lamb shoulder with steamed broccoli, carrots and one baby potato drizzled in melted coconut oil

Didn't exercise at all today but will get my LHT workout done tomorrow.
      My Journal

Comment

Ahh... Aussie... I knew it was something exotic :-)

Don't do the T4 for sure... T3 supplementation should be fine to raise that. Interestingly fixing gut health is a big thing in conversion of T4 to T3... a lot of it happens in the digestive tract, so one of the first things to do is eliminate the biggies--- dairy, gluten and alchohol (and anything else you think you might be allergic to). Do you feel like you have any gut issues (slow digestion, blaoting and gassy, that sort of thing?) Sounds like you're on the right track anyway which is awesome!

I need to kick dairy again myself. I don't eat it much... cheese in some dishes and cream in my tea and ghee to cook with, but that's about it. I can cook with coconut oil, I use that a lot too... so might try coconut cream in my tea as well and just skip the cheesy dishes for a while. Back to basics!
        sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

Originally posted by Minxxa View Post
          Don't do the T4 for sure... T3 supplementation should be fine to raise that. Interestingly fixing gut health is a big thing in conversion of T4 to T3... a lot of it happens in the digestive tract, so one of the first things to do is eliminate the biggies--- dairy, gluten and alchohol (and anything else you think you might be allergic to). Do you feel like you have any gut issues (slow digestion, blaoting and gassy, that sort of thing?) Sounds like you're on the right track anyway which is awesome!
          Funny you should mention gut issues, I've been keeping track of that and I do suffer from really gurgly horrible bloating after eating anything with too much fibre, at least that seems to be the trigger. If I just eat protein or fat - no problem, but a BAS or smoothie has me blowing up and making some weird-arse noises from the midsection! I was listening to a Robb Wolf podcast the other day and he suggested that too much fibre can be tough on the digestive system and to avoid the really fibrous fruits and veg and cook veggies well if you're having issues, another piece of CW bites the dust!
          My Journal

Comment

I introduced some starch to my diet today in an effort to move away from the VLC thing. I ate a banana after lunch (does a HB egg and a cup of green tea with 2 tbsp coconut oil count as lunch?) and had a baked sweet potato with dinner. Man they were good, will have to monitor my cravings and hunger over the next few days, if they start returning, I'll have to go back to the drawing board.

So here's my day:

Breakfast: Coffee with new whipped vanilla coconut milk, bloody marvelous!

Lunch: HB egg, green tea with coconut oil, banana

Dinner: Leftover slow-roasted lamb, brought back to life by frying in ghee, mmmm crispy lamb..... Small baked sweet potato with butter, lots of butter, broccoli steamed and then tossed in some fried bacon bits with the bacon fat.

Snacks: A couple of skinless beef sausages, couple more coffees

Did my LHT workout and got in a walk on the beach with the kids and pooch, taught them to play chicken with the surf, was really high today!

I feel tired tonight, I was yesterday too, I managed to get a full 8 hours sleep last night which is unusual for me, but I awoke naturally before the alarm which was a nice change. I'm gonna try the early to bed thing a bit more often I think. I don't get enough sleep cos I like to stay up late reading and surfing, I think I definately need to make this a priority, it's the one area that I'm falling down with the PB.
            My Journal

Comment

Had the most bloody awful night's sleep, I ate too much at dinner and so was kept awake half the night with acid reflux, plus my bloody dog was restless and kept whining and scratching and barking, bloody little sod. So the benefit of my early bedtime was ruined and now I'm tired... whinge whinge, moan moan...

Anyway, due to my enormous dinner, I'm not really hungry this morning so am settling for a coupla coconut coffees, plan for the rest of the day....

Lunch: mixed plate with some kippers, HB egg, green salad, avocado and coconut oil tea

Dinner: San choy bow made with pork mince as I don't have any chicken, gonna eat small and early though, don't want a repeat of last night.

Mustn't forget my wakeme-fortified miso today, I missed it yesterday.

Exercise: Don't think I'll get any in today, full kid's schedule all day. Might dig out the treadmill later, I'll see how I feel.
              My Journal

Comment

Ok, the acid reflux seems to be returning with a vengeance since re-introducing starchy foods. I've only included bananas and sweet potato so far, but have had a low-level of discomfort for the last 2 days. I managed to get myself off the reflux meds by going low-carb, I guess I was hoping it was grain related only, however seems that it's carb-related.

I don't know how I'm going to get myself off VLC without some increase in carbs though!

Discovered Norcal marguaritas last night, thanks to Bane's journal. They are damn good and considering I had 3 last night, I suffered very little in the way of ill-effects this morning.

Today:

Breakfast: Bacon, eggs, sweet potato slices fried in coconut oil and coffee with coconut whip (am loving that stuff!)

Lunch/snack: Small avocado and another coffee, 2 brazil nuts with a small chunk of 85% chocolate

Dinner: Will be scotch fillet, roasted asparagus and green beans and a few more Norcal marguaritas
                My Journal

Comment

Been a few days since I posted, things have been going ok, experimenting with upping my carb intake without too much starch and did pretty well yesterday. I've re-introduced nuts into my diet and am loving that, I'll see how it effects my weight loss if at all. I'm not going nuts (har-de-har) anyway, just a couple of brazils and a couple of tablespoons of almond/brazil/cashew butter on an apple.

I just discovered creamed coconut in my local Asian deli. I missed them last time cos they're kept in the fridge. What an awesome little snack that is! Just saw off a chunk and nibble

My Ma is coming down from up north tomorrow. It's going to be interesting to see what she makes of my new WOE. I have to focus though, as I normally fall off the wagon when she's around. I don't feel tempted but I'll have to watch those signs and munch on a lump of coconut if I feel like straying. She is a wreck diet wise, very CW. Her GP has just given her amphetamines to help her lose weight! She's hypertensive for fuck's sake! So my job while she's down will be to persuade her not to take them, she could give them to me instead For party purposes, not for weight-control.

Anyway, is too long winded to post my diet over the last few days, suffice to say that it's all been 100% primal. I'm due a LHT workout which I'll get in tomorrow before breakfast. I'm IFing from now till 9.30 tomorrow (17.5 hours).

So.....

Today:

Breakfast: Coffee with coconut whip, Fried up a red onion, red capsicum and a chunk of hot salami and stirred through 2 eggs to make a hash-type thing.

Lunch: Pork crackle with chicken liver pate, a small banana and a couple of squares of 85% chocolate with some macadamia nuts. Oh plus a couple of fried seaweed snacks I bought from the Asian deli.

No dinner

Tomorrow:

Breakfast: Kippers with scrambled egg, an apple with ABC butter, coffee with coconut whip

Lunch: Who knows - Will be out and about with Ma, probably a salad of some kind.

Dinner: Ribeye steaks and green beans. No doubt a glass of wine or 3
                  My Journal

Comment

I am having the hardest time figuring my insides out!

I have been having digestive issues now, on and off, for the last coupla weeks. I have gurgling gas and bloating and almost constant runs. I ended up popping a loperamide at work last night just to plug myself up!

I have bought digestive enzymes... doesn't seem to help.
                    I'm trying to include pro-biotics with every meal, sauerkraut, kombucha, etc..

I have recently upped my fish oil intake to 2 or 3 caps with every meal and am wondering if that might be it. I've read around here that fish oil excess can be like turning on a shit-tap for some people, if you'll pardon the analogy

I'm finding that I'm not coping too well with over-cooked meat either. It just seems to sit like a big ol' lump in my stomach and feels gross. So much so that I've stopped having sausage or bacon for breakfast.

So..... not sure where to go from here. I think I will go easier on the fish oil to start with and will maybe buy some probiotic capsules, man I'm gonna be taking so many supplements that I'll rattle!

On the diet front.... am still dairy free and loving it. My dermatitis is finally clearing up so I think may be related to a dairy intolerance, who knows. Could also be the fish oil or the extra coconut oil in my diet. Either way, it's all good

Only lost a coupla hundred grams this week in weight, but am definately smaller. I have my monthlies this week which always causes me to retain fluid so I look forward to a larger loss next week.

I haven't been moving as much as I'd like, I have a paper due on Friday so spare time is being devoted to that atm. Will get serious about daily movement when that's outta the way.

My lifting heavy things workout is improving. I'm ready to move from wall push-ups, but not quite ready for knees, so am going to put in another step off knee push-ups but with hands on a raised bench. I have no chance in hell of doing a pull-up anytime soon either, so have changed the chair-assisted (which basically only works my legs) to an Australian pull-up, as I have some rings in the backyard on my kids swing set that are chest height and I can get to about 45 degrees under them and do my pull-ups that way. I can actually manage my sets that way and it's isolating my upper body instead of being modified squats, which is what my chair-assisted ones were basically.
                    My Journal

Comment

I think it was the fish oil. I've cut back to regular amounts and things are back to normal thank God!!

I handed my paper in today with great relief, no more uni now till end of feb next year... Woohoo! Summer is here! Well it was yesterday, 35 degrees and gorgeous, today it rained Still am looking forward to a great summer, I've got lots of books on my kindle just dying to be read and a trip to Bali in Feb planned with the man. I may even look half-decent in a bathing suit by then

Today:

B: Coffee with coconut creamer

L: half a bbq chicken that I bought at the supermarket, the good half... the breasts are still in the fridge

D: Roast lamb, sweet potato and broccoli in lotsa butter

I'm craving chocolate but my 85% is all gone, think I might stir some cocoa into some creamed coconut for a little chocolatty hit.

Exercise: Beach walk with the poochie, need to do a LHT workout tomorrow, it's been over a week since the last one, slack bitch!! Sprinting........ well.... um...... I'll get there, really I will
                      My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                        I handed my paper in today with great relief, no more uni now till end of feb next year... Woohoo! Summer is here! Well it was yesterday, 35 degrees and gorgeous, today it rained Still am looking forward to a great summer, I've got lots of books on my kindle just dying to be read and a trip to Bali in Feb planned
                        I am dying of jealousy right now. We are just cranking up for a long dreary winter in northern California, and I've got a month of final exams and oral presentations and papers due before the holidays. I wish I could magically be transported to your life! Gearing up for summer and trips to tropical islands! Ahhhhh...
                        ~ Ex-Herbivore Goes Carnivore: Jazmin's PB Journal ~

Comment

Originally posted by jazmin View Post
                          I am dying of jealousy right now. We are just cranking up for a long dreary winter in northern California, and I've got a month of final exams and oral presentations and papers due before the holidays. I wish I could magically be transported to your life! Gearing up for summer and trips to tropical islands! Ahhhhh...
                          Oh dear! Well, the shoe will be on the other foot in 6 months Good luck with all your finals, I got away with no exams at all for this semester = Happy me

My new tattoo http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...rist-tattooing (for pics), has settled down nicely. I am a very quick healer thank goodness. I am soooooo happy with it, I keep staring at it

Anyhoo...

I lost some more weight this week. Not much (600g) but it ain't nothin'! I didn't workout at all last week except for a couple of short walks, so that may have something to do with it. I had a few very low cal days too, these damn digestive issues are really giving me the shits... literally!!! I can't seem to work out what the problem is, the only common denominator is food. I stopped the fish oil altogether and it didn't stop, so maybe that's not it. Hopefully it settles down soon. Might have an alcohol free week too and see if that makes any difference.

So plan for today...

Early morning beach walk for an hour.... Check

LHT workout.... Check

Breakfast: I had some black pudding, a coupla lightly fried eggs and some spinach tossed in coconut oil. Think I'm gonna have a mango in a minute

Lunch: May IF through today, have to sleep this afternoon anyway for night shift tonight

Dinner (or breakfast): Omelette with avocado

I'm gonna make some egg and salmon maki rolls to take for lunch tonight, plus some apples and nut butter.

Tomorrow: Early morning beach walk again after work, then sleeeeeep

May try to IF through till dinner. Not eating is the only thing that seems to give my belly nothing to complain about, so I may as well go with it
                          My Journal

Comment

The belly has been gooood! I IFd yesterday till dinner and it seems to have settled it down. I just finished a good breakfast and there are no strange noises coming from my midsection... Woo-hoo!

My delts, pecs, triceps and those ones at the back... rhomboids?? Better look it up...... ah, lats I think, ok they're all killing me! So are my abs. I progressed up a level in push-ups when I did my workout on Monday. I'm now doing L3 incline push-ups and they just killed me! I managed one set of 20, but in the second set I started to lose my form and bend in the middle so I stopped at 15. Pretty damn impressed with myself though My Aussie pull-ups are coming along well too. I am getting quite low under the rings, I may even lower the bar next time to raise the bar.. LOL

Today:

Breakfast: sauteed some kale in bacon fat (YUM!!) and had that with some lightly fried eggs

Lunch: think I might just have a coffee with coconut whip

Dinner: chicken thigh stir-fry with almonds cooked by my fella, sleepover night at his place tonight.

Had a crazy craving for the ghee-popped popcorn that was leftover from making the kids lunches so I gave in and ate it. I had pretty much zero carbs yesterday so I think my body needed it. Damn it was good!! Tracked it in my calorie counter and is only 7g of carbs anyway, so no biggie
                            My Journal

Comment

Ok, so have decided to follow the likes of Mr and Mrs Fist and Jazmin and post some gratuitously cute puppy pics. This is Charlie, my 11 month old cavoodle (Cavalier King Charles spaniel X Poodle). He's a bit bigger now and thinks he's a big grown up guard-dog, which is kinda nice since I'm here on my own with the kids when the BF is not sleeping over. It's nice to know that no-one can get near the place without him barking his head off

and...

oh alright, just one more

Is he cute as hell or is it just me?!
                              My Journal

Comment

Ahhh, so cute!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X