Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - NourishedEm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I bought EA Sports Active 2 for my Wii today. I know it ain't primal, but it kicked my arse today. Was a lot of squatting, lungeing, fire feet (I think they're called, they suck!), running and jumping. TFG got me onto it and I was a little hesitant that it would be all aerobics and cardio crap, but it's far from it. It was fun! I've started the 9 week challenge with 4 workout days a week, will be interesting to see how my fitness improves over that time.

    I received my grass fed and finished, organic beef delivery yesterday.



    We had some of their gluten free sausages last night and they were really tasty. I can't wait to have a rib eye steak

    So fess up time. I had some dessert last night, I haven't had sugar in a while and I can't believe how crap I felt afterwards. After about an hour, my heart was pounding and I felt like I'd had 5 cups of coffee. My poor pancreas! I don't think I'll be doing that again in a hurry. I IF'd this morning and had lamb and brocolli for lunch. I'm gonna have a juicy steak and salad tonight. Hopefully the VLC day I'm having today will set my body back to rights.

    My brother arrives tomorrow night, he only lives an hour away, but based on how often we see him, he may as well live across the country. It's gonna be a very quiet Christmas Day this year. My Ma and her fella are going to NZ for Chrissie so it's just me, my man, my bro and the kids. Makes for a very relaxing day though. We're just throwing some steaks on the bbq and having cold meats and salads with them... easy.

    Hope everyone is prepared and looking forward to their Christmas, I wish you all the same kind of relaxing, chillin' day that I'm looking forward to
    My Journal

    Comment


    • Beautiful bling!

      And that is an amazing beef score!

      Have a great Christmas!
      "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
      "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
      "Moderation sucks." Suse
      "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
      "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield


      Winencandy

      Comment


      • I hope y'all had a fabulous Christmas. Mine was great. The kids were at their dad's Christmas eve so Christmas day actually started with a sleep-in which anyone who has small kids knows is a bloody miracle!!

        The kids loved all their presents and we had a fantastic day having super-soaker fights outside followed by stretches indoors in air-conditioned comfort playing Just Dance on the Wii or building Lego spaceships or making craft projects, basically just hanging out with the kids and playing.

        I got just the one present, as the adults in our family don't exchange gifts with each other. Only the kids and our own SOs. My man bought me the opal earrings that match the ring and bracelet he already got me, so I have the whole set now, sweet!!

        Food... mmm, well that was not so great. Christmas eve, I ended up eating pizza. It was wood-fired pizza from the awesome pizza place round the corner and it tasted like heaven, but it was the first time I've eaten wheat in over 6 months. Surprisingly, I didn't die! I actually didn't suffer any ill-effects at all from it, which I found surprising. Christmas Day was relevtively primal, I ate some corn chips but that was all on the food front. I did drink a lot of beer though. It was f%#king hot and the icy beers tasted amazing. I also had a few margaritas once the kids were in bed, so i was a little tanked by the end of the day

        Today, I feel a sort of tenderness in my epigastric area. It feels basically like the area is inflamed, which it probably is, maybe the gluten has a delayed effect? Anyway, it's 3pm and I've been IFing all day, except for a little coconut cream in my decaf. I'm starting to feel a little better now, but i'm going to be eating very carefully for the next few days.

        I'm starting a Whole 30 on January 1st. The main things I wanna cut out are alcohol and artificial sweetener. I use xylitol to sweeten my hot drinks and it's something I'd like to stop using so I can be 100% primal. Alcohol is just something that I could use a break from. I don't drink nearly as much as I used to, but I still drink once or twice a week and I'd like a break from that. I don't eat much dairy anyway, so I don't think that's going to be any hardship. I hope that a month of strict paleo-type eating will see me finally start to lose some weight (sorry Batty, but I need to see those numbers moving ), I've been primal for over 3 months now and I haven't lost a ounce. I'm getting to the stage of not knowing what else to do, I don't plan on giving up because I feel so much better, but sod it, I need to lose some effing weight!!

        I've been following a thread (over in odds and ends I think) about people doing a Whole 30 in Jan. I'm trying not to be all judgemental here, but it amazes me how many people are saying "I'm gonna do a Whole 30, but keep the dairy/stevia/alcohol." Basically these are people who take their 20% way too literally and just want to tighten up a bit more, but that's not a Whole 30, that's just getting back to basic Primal, or is it just me? Maybe they need their own "I'm going to actually be primal for 30 days" thread. Anyway, each to their own I guess
        Last edited by NourishedEm; 12-25-2010, 11:59 PM.
        My Journal

        Comment


        • Merry Christmas Em. May the coming year be better than our cricket team!

          Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
          I've been following a thread (over in odds and ends I think) about people doing a Whole 30 in Jan. I'm trying not to be all judgemental here, but it amazes me how many people are saying "I'm gonna do a Whole 30, but keep the dairy/stevia/alcohol." Basically these are people who take their 20% way too literally and just want to tighten up a bit more, but that's not a Whole 30, that's just getting back to basic Primal, or is it just me? Maybe they need their own "I'm going to actually be primal for 30 days" thread. Anyway, each to their own I guess
          Yes
          Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

          Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

          Comment


          • Originally posted by peril View Post
            Merry Christmas Em. May the coming year be better than our cricket team!
            Well, it could hardly be worse! Merry Christmas to you and yours too
            My Journal

            Comment


            • Merry Christmas Em

              Shoot, at least your pizza break was good, yummy pizza and not just some fast food slop. One of these days I'll tank and get a brick oven pizza from my favorite place. All home-made and fresh ingredients. If you can't be good, be good at it!

              Yeah... I'm a bit bugged by the threads on January/Whole30/Resolutions stuff. Combine that with the "OMG I ATE..." threads and I'm bound to get cranky. I understand it. I do. It's just... tiresome sometimes. I really don't want to get down on anybody. It's a learning process, but it's tedious if you're not in that mode I guess. Kudos on cutting out the artificial sweeteners and alcohol. I should probably tighten up on the sugars/carbs some also. Seems like those little sweets and treats work themselves in to a routine before you know it!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                I hope that a month of strict paleo-type eating will see me finally start to lose some weight (sorry Batty, but I need to see those numbers moving ), I've been primal for over 3 months now and I haven't lost a ounce. I'm getting to the stage of not knowing what else to do, I don't plan on giving up because I feel so much better, but sod it, I need to lose some effing weight!!
                I hear you. I feel the same.
                I started in September and I've lost two whole pounds...which I've probably put back on in the last two days...
                Sigh...
                "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                "Moderation sucks." Suse
                "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield


                Winencandy

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                  Merry Christmas Em

                  Shoot, at least your pizza break was good, yummy pizza and not just some fast food slop. One of these days I'll tank and get a brick oven pizza from my favorite place. All home-made and fresh ingredients. If you can't be good, be good at it!

                  Yeah... I'm a bit bugged by the threads on January/Whole30/Resolutions stuff. Combine that with the "OMG I ATE..." threads and I'm bound to get cranky. I understand it. I do. It's just... tiresome sometimes. I really don't want to get down on anybody. It's a learning process, but it's tedious if you're not in that mode I guess. Kudos on cutting out the artificial sweeteners and alcohol. I should probably tighten up on the sugars/carbs some also. Seems like those little sweets and treats work themselves in to a routine before you know it!
                  You know what? I think the people who post about how they 'cheated' still look at primal as a diet rather than a way of life. I know I had a few less-than-ideal foods over Christmas, but it didn't change my basic outlook, it didn't make me eat my body weight in candy and bread, which in my old life is exactly what I would have done if I'd 'cheated' on a diet, I would have gone all out. Instead I consciously chose to eat something as a treat (not just because of the taste, not having to cook is a huge treat to me!) and then went back to normal. That's the big change I've noticed in myself. Primal is normal, not just something I'm doing to lose weight that I'll stop when I succeed (or give up!). Just as well really as I'm failing big-time on the weight loss front

                  Originally posted by winencandy View Post
                  I hear you. I feel the same.
                  I started in September and I've lost two whole pounds...which I've probably put back on in the last two days...
                  Sigh...
                  It is frustrating, I really hope that doing the Whole 30 strictly and with no exceptions will break the plateau and see me start losing some fat. If that doesn't work then I guess I'll just have to accept that I'm going to be fat forever and learn to live with it
                  My Journal

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                    I'm starting a Whole 30 on January 1st. The main things I wanna cut out are alcohol and artificial sweetener. I use xylitol to sweeten my hot drinks and it's something I'd like to stop using so I can be 100% primal. Alcohol is just something that I could use a break from. I don't drink nearly as much as I used to, but I still drink once or twice a week and I'd like a break from that. I don't eat much dairy anyway, so I don't think that's going to be any hardship. I hope that a month of strict paleo-type eating will see me finally start to lose some weight (sorry Batty, but I need to see those numbers moving ), I've been primal for over 3 months now and I haven't lost a ounce. I'm getting to the stage of not knowing what else to do, I don't plan on giving up because I feel so much better, but sod it, I need to lose some effing weight!!
                    i am not saying anything.
                    sigpic

                    HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

                    Comment


                    • Weird couple of days...

                      I keep having these spells where I get really spaced-out in the head. It feels really odd. It happened yesterday while I was walking and I suddenly lurched into a wall, I completely lost my sense of balance. The other times it's happened I've been sat down and I just get this spacey, weird feeling. It's kinda hard to explain, it's not like the dizzyness I get when I stand up sometimes (I'm a little hypotensive and have to be careful about standing up suddenly), it's very brief and rather disconcerting! Maybe it's related to my boozy, beery weekend. I hope so anyhow!

                      Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, I got myself the Wii EA Sports Active workout game for Christmas. I've used it for 4 workouts now and I really like it. It's a great combination of sprinting and bodyweight stuff. I need to invest in a couple of dumbells, as there's some weight-lifting exercises in there, but the game only comes with a rubber resistance band, which is way too loose for me. It mixes things up really well too so I may go from alternating lunges to sprinting and squatting while 'mountain biking.' Since my biggest enemy when exercising is boredom, this looks like it may be a good fit for me.

                      Food-wise, it's been nice to get back to normal after the Christmas weekend. I didn't go nuts, there were no desserts or cakes to worry about as I didn't make any but there were chocolates and corn chips (which I am powerless to resist) plus the dreaded pizza on Christmas Eve. I really feel like it's taken me until today to feel normal again. I've been VLC since Boxing Day and I think I'm going to stay that way throughout my Whole 30 in January. I kinda eat that way by default anyway with the main carby things in my life being booze and 85% Lindt chocolate. Since I can't have either of those on my Whole 30, I should find it very easy to stay VLC.

                      My BF and I have our trip to Bali coming up in Feb which I am super-excited about, only 52 days to go until we leave. I have managed to get a room at my friend's timeshare resort...
                      http://www.peninsulabeachresort.com/
                      ... and the place is beautiful, I stayed there last year when 3 of my Uni buddies and I took an end-of-year trip. I plan to sleep-in, get daily massages (maybe twice daily, it's only $8 for an hour ), read, eat, make love, swim and generally be a complete sloth. If I could lose a bit of the belly flab before I go, I will be one happy camper!
                      My Journal

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                        My BF and I have our trip to Bali coming up in Feb which I am super-excited about, only 52 days to go until we leave. I have managed to get a room at my friend's timeshare resort...
                        http://www.peninsulabeachresort.com/
                        ... and the place is beautiful, I stayed there last year when 3 of my Uni buddies and I took an end-of-year trip. I plan to sleep-in, get daily massages (maybe twice daily, it's only $8 for an hour ), read, eat, make love, swim and generally be a complete sloth. If I could lose a bit of the belly flab before I go, I will be one happy camper!
                        *raging envy*
                        The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
                        Blog
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • Holy carp, Em, that trip sounds FANTASTICAL! Pictures needed! (Of the g-rated stuff, LOL!)

                          Wierd on the head thing... if it keeps happening I'd get it checked out for sure... I used to get that sometimes, but it was when my adrenals/thyroid were WAY out of whack. I'd be totally fogged out on occasion, randomly. I think you'd know if that was the case, though!
                          sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

                          Comment


                          • if it continues you need to get checked out , blood pressure issue possibly ??

                            the trip to Bali sounds awesome !! I have never been out of the States , well except for Canada
                            "Misfortune
                            can force you into doing things you should be doing anyway. Lessons
                            come from adversity. Anything can happen to anyone... You can find a
                            new lease on life - more meaning than you thought possible in simple
                            things... Let go. Live in the moment. Go forward". Christopher Reeve

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                              Weird couple of days...

                              I keep having these spells where I get really spaced-out in the head. It feels really odd. It happened yesterday while I was walking and I suddenly lurched into a wall, I completely lost my sense of balance. The other times it's happened I've been sat down and I just get this spacey, weird feeling. It's kinda hard to explain, it's not like the dizzyness I get when I stand up sometimes (I'm a little hypotensive and have to be careful about standing up suddenly), it's very brief and rather disconcerting! Maybe it's related to my boozy, beery weekend. I hope so anyhow!
                              I get that too...

                              Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                              My BF and I have our trip to Bali coming up in Feb which I am super-excited about, only 52 days to go until we leave. I have managed to get a room at my friend's timeshare resort...
                              http://www.peninsulabeachresort.com/
                              ... and the place is beautiful, I stayed there last year when 3 of my Uni buddies and I took an end-of-year trip. I plan to sleep-in, get daily massages (maybe twice daily, it's only $8 for an hour ), read, eat, make love, swim and generally be a complete sloth. If I could lose a bit of the belly flab before I go, I will be one happy camper!
                              Beautiful!!
                              "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                              "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                              "Moderation sucks." Suse
                              "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                              "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield


                              Winencandy

                              Comment


                              • Wow, it's New Year's Eve Eve

                                I do not know where this year has gone! Since the end of the year is nigh, I thought I'd have a look back at 2010.

                                Let's start with the obvious. This time last year, I weighed 5kg less than I do now. Wow, that's 96grams a week, WTG Em!! However, I know for a fact that I have stronger and denser muscles now than I had then so I've no doubt lost more than 5kg of fat.

                                I completed 3 units of study toward my degree scoring well on all of them.

                                I went onto permanent part-time night shifts which saw my financial situation improve somewhat, if not my sleep cycles

                                I found The Primal Blueprint which will, I'm sure, be responsible for many more years of vibrant good health than I would have had without it. Consequently I also found MDA which has been a wonderful addition to my life, I have made some very cool cyber-buddies and been involved in some seriously interesting discussions on everything from cooking methods to birth control. I feel very lucky to be a part of such a great community of people.

                                I discovered that I have hypothyroid issues and a useless doctor. Did a huge amount of research on the subject of endocrine health and self-diagnosed Adrenal fatigue. Am now on a supplement regime aimed at improving this. Will hopefully find a good GP to work with when I have my appointment at a new clinic at the end of Jan.

                                My children have become more amazing every day. I am starting to see the outline of the people they are going to become and I am constantly amazed that I had a hand in creating them! (It's even more amazing that my ex had a hand in it!!)

                                My relationship with my BF has grown and changed, some of it for the worse, most of it for the better. I still don't know where we're headed, but I'm very lucky to have him in my life right now and to know that I am worthy of the kind of love he has for me.

                                So, what does 2011 have in store for me? Who knows, but here's what I'm aiming for...

                                I will, by the end of this year, be at a size/weight that I feel comfortable with. I don't know what that is yet, but I will when I get there.

                                I will reach level 4 in all the exercises in PB fitness, that means being able to do pull-ups and push-ups, neither of which I have mastered yet.

                                I will finish my degree and finally become a Registered Nurse. I love working as an Enrolled Nurse, but I am looking forward to the extra money and promotional opportunities that being an RN will offer.

                                I will get my hormonal issues sorted and go back to having the sort of energy I used to have a few years ago, where I jump out of bed excited about what the day will bring, instead of draggin myself out wondering how I'm going to get through it.

                                I will save some money and stop spending on things that I have neither planned nor budgeted for, yes even on books for my Kindle!!!

                                Most of all, I want to have a happy year. It'll be busy what with it being my last year at University. I have 11 weeks of clinical placements, which is code for unpaid work, but I've got to finish them to complete my degree. I will be working hard to find time for exercise, time for my kids and time for my fella. But, I want to do it with a smile on my face and with energy to spare....

                                Here's hoping I can make all that happen
                                Last edited by NourishedEm; 12-30-2010, 06:34 AM. Reason: Spelling
                                My Journal

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X