No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (beachrat)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, thanks for joining the challenge. We're here for your support!
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Comment

Thanks! I have gotten rather slack, mentally, so I appreciate the challenge. We finally had some sunshine again over the weekend, and I'm very much looking forward to being in better shape so I can *really* enjoy spring. Come on, spring!

Warming up for the official start tomorrow with a solid IF today (since yesterday at 5). Grass-fed ground beef defrosting in the fridge. On-on!
      "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
      "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
      If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

Originally posted by beachrat View Post
        Thanks! I have gotten rather slack, mentally, so I appreciate the challenge. We finally had some sunshine again over the weekend, and I'm very much looking forward to being in better shape so I can *really* enjoy spring. Come on, spring!

Warming up for the official start tomorrow with a solid IF today (since yesterday at 5). Grass-fed ground beef defrosting in the fridge. On-on!
        wow. my system is so out of whack that i had trouble going 10 hrs without eating. looking forward to that getting better...
        Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Comment

Well, I'm notoriously slack on the exercise portion of living primally. Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses!
          "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.

Comment

It still counts as IF when work is too crazed and stressful even to think about eating, correct?

Comment

I weighed this AM because I haven't done so in quite a long time (for me). 22 pounds down from Oct 11.

I'm going to try using this chart for February, however. Subsidiary goal: declutter my kitchen by getting the scales OUT! lol

Last night I had roasted cauliflower but misread the recipes so I didn't cook it long enough. The kale chips were incredibly delicious though. And, I only used half a head of cauliflower (after buying two huge heads [if that's the right term] because they looked So Good -- this WOE has completely altered my personal tastes, I swear!) so I have plenty left to try again.

Ate those two things with roast pork from the other day, coconut that I munched on while cooking, and it seems like I ate some other protein while working in the kitchen, but I'm not sure. I need to document stuff right when I do it or the details go right out of my head, it seems.

On the other hand, and more importantly, I did get a follow-up email out this AM, to keep the conversation going with the recruiter for my Dream Job, and I have another interview this Friday. I'm not too interested in the Friday job, but I like the people who are interviewing me, and it's always good to have more practice interviews, regardless. Still have to keep looking, and suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune in the current soul-sucking job until I win a new & better position. Gotta have faith!
              Last edited by beachrat; 06-22-2011, 05:45 PM.

Comment

I wanted to get on the scales SO MUCH this morning. But I put them in the laundry room so they would no longer tempt me (hah), and measured myself instead. I have discovered that I am a terrible measurer. At least, terribly inconsistent. I did finally find my two times of recording measurements in Nutridiary (the first is gone for good, lost in the ether), so I have three now. Some trending down but others every which way, so I think I'm just a slack-ass measurer. (Which is mildly hilarious considering my day job. But I digress.)

Ennyhoo, I'm counting on the overall changes to be So Magnificent that even haphazard measuring will eventually show the undeniable progress. I can feel it in my clothes, and definitely shopping, so I'm not too concerned. Just need a new metric!

So I'm focusing on food intake this month, hopefully the last month of sustained yucky weather, with moving slowly often as much as I can. Ideally I'll get some (more) of the weight off that's so discouraging when trying to do any real exercise. And with a really clean diet a complete habit by the end of February, knock on wood, I think some real progress on both will be the goal for March.

Comment

It's hard to measure yourself, I think. I try to measure at the bellybutton. I figure that should be in the same place every time. The hips are a total crap shoot. I try for around the top of the hip bones and also around the biggest part of my butt. That last one could be moving south, though. . .

Comment

The nutridiary site includes some minimal instrux for the bits it measures, e.g. neck is below the larynx and allowed to slope down; abdomen is at the belly button with the tape level, etc. so I try to follow those. Frankly the biggest problem right now is that I keep the house too darn cold to stand around in my altogether so I could measure everything carefully!

Over time if I can see trend lines going down, I'm not going to sweat the quarter-inches. And I guess when it's not all losing body fat and more about the building lean muscle, I'll be looking for different proportions or something. I don't know! I'm still mentally a slave to the scale

Comment

I wanted so badly to get on the scales this morning! I never realized I was so addicted to the scales LOL. I don't know if this will cure me, or if I'll go right back to hopping on them first thing every morning. Right now (4 days in, ha ha) I think I'll go right back to it. I will say that it [weighing every day] wasn't affecting my mood or anything, and I was only recording it in nutridiary after I'd seen a "new" number a couple of times (instead of seizing on a low day and then being sad when the next few times were above or not below it...).

Anyway, interesting the many ways that primal changes our thinking. Or changing our thinking changes our attitudes? Too early in the morning for deep thoughts, and there's my tea kettle calling me!
                      Last edited by beachrat; 02-04-2011, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Which CSA are you subscribed to? I am nearby and shop at WSM every week.

...Tim

Comment

Hi Tim,

I was on the Winter CSA with Brinkley Farms. I didn't sign up for the Spring for a few reasons, most not related to my experience with them. They're very nice and let you pick what goes in your box each week, which is really essential for me. But I ended up buying mostly meat from them, and I'm rather overstocked!

I was disappointed that when I asked about hearts, livers, etc., the woman who runs it apparently thought I was a bit nuts. Apparently they throw those parts out (or give them to the processor, it wasn't really clear). When I offered to buy them the next time they slaughtered a pig or cow, she simply didn't respond. I'll admit, that put me off a little. But their beef is really amazing. Their pork is okay but the beef, ooh la la!

I need to get a chest freezer, but can't really decide what size or where to put it. I'm also interested in finding hunters who kill more than they can eat/store or would be interested in trading (something like, I get meat and give them back jerky?), or going hunting myself (used to go occasionally).

More than you wanted to know!
                          Last edited by beachrat; 03-11-2011, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Shocking and delightful: I have a job interview this afternoon (not round 2 for the Dream Job, alas, but a different job that isn't right for me but I might as well gear up in professional mode and see where it goes) so I thought I'd try on the two things I bought lately to see how far off I am size-wise. (I buy a lot of clothes at Goodwill without trying them on because I hate shopping and even more HATE trying clothes on. This is not a body image thing, I have always hated the whole shopping process.)

Anyway, I bought a skirt and a dress looking down the road at further interviews, not this one coming right up. In other words, I purposefully bought them smaller than I otherwise would have. That's how much confidence I have that primal has changed my life, permanently!

The skirt - wow, I got it zipped without hardly trying. I didn't think that one was going to fit at all. It definitely looks like crap, doesn't hang right, etc. etc., but very surprising on the waist size, regardless.

The dress. Good lord. I can wear it today. It will look better in a few weeks/months, but with a jacket it looks pretty darn good today. Amazing.
                            Last edited by beachrat; 02-04-2011, 09:46 AM.

Comment

beachrat,

Definitely NOT more than I wanted to know. Thanks for sharing.

For what its worth, you can easily find hearts, livers, etc. Most of the folks who raise meat locally do sell them (Cane Creek, Coon Rock, Hogan's, to name a few). Just check out Carborro farmers market on Sat. mornings and you should be able to get plenty of organ meats. Also, none of the local farmers actually do the slaughtering themselves (or the processing). There are 2 or 3 USDA facilities that serve the area.

A chest freezer is definitely the way to go. Ours stays full year round and "feeds" our regular fridge/freezer as needed.

hunters: Hunting season is pretty much over, but next fall you might check with some of the local deer processing places. There is a small one about 7ish miles outside of Carborro (head west on 54 towards Burlington). Just before "Piedmont Feed" is a little shack. Maybe you could work out something with them, or with a hunter that uses them.

...Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Soil To Sustenance View Post
                                For what its worth, you can easily find hearts, livers, etc. Most of the folks who raise meat locally do sell them (Cane Creek, Coon Rock, Hogan's, to name a few). Just check out Carborro farmers market on Sat. mornings and you should be able to get plenty of organ meats. Also, none of the local farmers actually do the slaughtering themselves (or the processing). There are 2 or 3 USDA facilities that serve the area.

hunters: Hunting season is pretty much over, but next fall you might check with some of the local deer processing places. There is a small one about 7ish miles outside of Carborro (head west on 54 towards Burlington). Just before "Piedmont Feed" is a little shack. Maybe you could work out something with them, or with a hunter that uses them.
                                Thanks, Tim. I knew farmers don't do their own processing; just surprised that the lady who was already selling me meat etc. wouldn't be interested also in selling the other bits off the next cow/pig.

That's a great tip on the Carrboro Farmers' Market -- I avoid CH/Carrboro like the plague most of the time (traffic, parking, traffic, crowds, traffic) but will check it out. The Hillsborough FM scene is a bit messed up as you may know, although I've checked out the winter offerings a few times. I'm sure in a couple of months things will be booming everywhere, with lots more options.

As for hunters, thanks also for the tip on the local processor. My guess though is that if a guy is already taking his deer for processing, he's probably using most or all of it. Worth a try. I'm on the waiting list at the gun club and hope eventually/gradually to meet hunters (and of course other people!) directly once I get in. Some folks can shoot deer year-round (classified as varmints).
                                Last edited by beachrat; 03-11-2011, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X