Oh.My.God. Becky, look at her butt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh.My.God. Becky, look at her butt

I decided it's time for some accountability. Documented, recorded, brutally honest accountability. Sigh.

Since I am quite vain, my goal for the next 4 months is to put on some muscle. (Thus the name of my journal … going to address those glutes big time!)
    Not very PB goal, but I’m planning to achieve it using PB diet. In terms of training I will stick to body split workouts for the next 8 weeks, tweaking as I go.
    Diet plan - keep my calories around 2500 for workout days and around 2000 on non workout days. Simply following hunger and cravings usually gets me to the following macro breakdown - 70(f)-20(p)-10(c). I will keep food log for a bit, just to make sure that I am on the right track.

The downfalls I have to look out for is… weekend cheating. Having a life has been proven quite a challenge - it seems like no matter where I look I’m surrounded by friends and family holding glasses of wine.
    Delicious, expensive, rare wines…
    Wines that seductively whisper my name while being pored into glasses.
    Oenophilia could easily be the death of me...

And time is another challenge. I constantly feel like there are not enough hours in the day! I work (9-5) and go to school part time, studying holistic nutrition, which I will whine about in the future, as some classes are basically grain loving tantric orgy. For example, my professor last night actually said “whole grain could be an answer to all of our world troubles”, chewing on a cheap burrito. while most class took notes, admiringly. having said that, there are some phenomenal classes/instructors as well, so at the end it balances everything out…

Nom Noms:
    Breakfast: Coffee + Cream
    Lunch: 5 Eggs cooked in butter + Raw zucchini(2) Cucumber (1)/ salad with olive oil/lemon dressing
    Dinner: 6oz grass fed steak + mashed avocado with some spices and drizzled with olive oil/lemon
    Snacks : tablespoon of coconut oil… peach…cheese + leftover steak bits (2oz or so)
    Totals according to fit day: Macros: 2308 Calories, 72% F - 20% P - 8%C
    Supplements: Omega3, Cal+Mg+Zinc, B50 Complex, Milk thistle

Training (Upper)
    3X10/12
    A1) Wide-grip push-up (from knees, not strong enough to support my body)
    A2) Bent-over row, supinated grip

B1) Wide-grip pulldown
    B2) Incline dumbbell press

C1) Assisted Dip
    C2) Decline dumbbell arm extension

Abs:
    Planx 4X60sec
    Hanging Leg Raises 4X 10 (trying for the first time, yaikes!)

I will take some measurements later today, to have a solid starting point.

phew.
    Last edited by Xenya; 09-15-2010, 09:18 AM.

cheers!
    good luck
    sigpic

Comment

Great title!
      Before, during, and after pics? :-D
      Your goals, minus your doubts, equals your reality.
      - Ralph Marston

Comment

thnx!!!
        yes, im planning on putting pics up. as scary as it sounds!!!!

Comment

Welcome! Love the title
          have you tried Mark's Primal Blueprint workout yet? His full squats are amazing -- I can do 100 "conventional" squats and maybe 20 full squats, and they make me sore in places I forgot I had

Whine all you need to about work and school, too, you have a sympathetic audience. Several us work full time, have families, and are in school too. I'm in the (hopefully!) last year of my dissertation and my new advisor basically said that I'll never finish if I don't commit to 15 hours per week working on my project. (eeek! I'll find it somehow tho!!)

Comment

8oz of steak and 5 eggs will not put on muscle unless you are about 90lbs to begin with.

I think your calories in general might be low for muscle growth.
            Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

Originally posted by chima_p View Post
              8oz of steak and 5 eggs will not put on muscle unless you are about 90lbs to begin with.

I think your calories in general might be low for muscle growth.
              well i'm 124 at 5"9.
              how much would you advise to eat? i generally eat around 1600-1700.

Comment

Originally posted by MikkiB View Post
                Welcome! Love the title
                have you tried Mark's Primal Blueprint workout yet? His full squats are amazing -- I can do 100 "conventional" squats and maybe 20 full squats, and they make me sore in places I forgot I had
                Whine all you need to about work and school, too, you have a sympathetic audience. Several us work full time, have families, and are in school too. I'm in the (hopefully!) last year of my dissertation and my new advisor basically said that I'll never finish if I don't commit to 15 hours per week working on my project. (eeek! I'll find it somehow tho!!)
                thank you for your warm words and good luck on you dissertation. your case definitely puts in perspective my "busy" lifestyle
                and no, I have not tried PB squat! I read about it just now, and it seems challenging! will definitely try it out for my "leg day". thank you for the tip, much appreciated.

Comment

Since you are looking to put on muscle in a certain time frame I would suggest cyling calories to minimize fat gain that normaly comes with gaining muscle.

For non work out days I would suggest:

1625 cal

75g carbs - 300cal (no point in going into ketosis)
                  150g prot - 600cal (1.2g x bw)
                  80g fat - 725cal (balance of calories)

On workout days I would suggest:

2125 cal (bulk of cals consumed in meal(s) after workout)

150g carbs - 600cal (mini carb load)
                  150g prot - 600cal (1.2g x bw)
                  103g fat - 925cal (balance of cal)

If you are a carbophobe you can exchange carb cals for fat cals if you wanted but your performance might suffer.

Keep protein high. "Extra protein" will not be stored as fat. That is a myth spread by people who eat too many bananas. While tearing down and rebuilding muscle would you rather err on too many amino acids or too little? Exactly, eat your meat!

Fat as always makes up the balance.
                  Last edited by chima_p; 09-15-2010, 01:44 PM. Reason: silly spreadsheet!
                  Don't be a paleotard...

Comment

@ chima_p
                    thank you.. sorry if i'm a bit lost, buy you initially said that my 2000 - 2500 calorie mark was too low too put on muscle, but you suggest lower? im confused.. which happens quite often
                    Last edited by Xenya; 09-15-2010, 01:50 PM.

Comment

I didn't see your "diet plan" haha! I just went by what you psoted as a meal. Too me that didn't look like enough calories.
                      Don't be a paleotard...

Comment

Originally posted by chima_p View Post
                        I didn't see your "diet plan" haha! I just went by what you psoted as a meal. Too me that didn't look like enough calories.
                        phew... i was trying to fathom the idea of eating more then 2500 calories a day. not there yet!!! maybe one day...

Comment

hey Xenya!
                          Check out This Link Here
                          Add your age and it will tell you what sort of calories you need depending on lifestyle. (I would say you were 'moderately' active)
                          - Follow me on Twitter | Read my blog! - www.PaleOZ.com -

Free Robb Wolf Paleo Meal Generator for iPhone
                          IF Timer - The Original Intermittent Fasting iPhone App

Comment

Originally posted by paleo_rob View Post
                            hey Xenya!
                            Check out This Link Here
                            Add your age and it will tell you what sort of calories you need depending on lifestyle. (I would say you were 'moderately' active)
                            great, it seems that i am right on track

Comment

Yesterday went according to the plan, minus the avocado that mysteriously disappeared from my fridge. Cat knows nothing and I have my reasons to believe him...So I compensated with extra steak and butter.
                              Attended a lecture dealing with Fad Diets where we looked in detail at Atkins, South Beach and few others... has anybody ever heard about a Carb Addicts diet? this one boggled my mind. you restrict your carb intake throughout the day, but then you get one hour a day to eat whatever you like! any carbs: donuts, candy, chips, whatever your heart desires. for a whole entire HOUR. basically a binge fast that you get to have everyday. it's actually a very very popular one! it was written by an MD.
                              Dr. Bernstein discussion was fascinating as well. we had a former Dr. Bernstein patient that went into detail about her experience and even brought in a booklet/materials from the program for us to flip trough. I was so curios about that one, because it's such a hush hush operation.

Few students in the class were trying to push the instructor(I) (who comes from a science background, CW Dr turned ND) to talk about the raw diet (which is really encouraged by our school) and she was so uncomfortable discussing it. I could tell that she was not a fan of the raw, but being a third party she couldn't contradict our schools philosophy I guess. she had a very interesting dialog with an extremely overweight vegetarian student(S).

(I).. when discussing the raw diet, please keep in mind that initially it included raw meat, raw fish, raw eggs and raw dairy. the raw diet as it is being marketed now, is quite different, and is focused on fruits/vegetables/nuts and no animal products whatsoever. the grains were barely included as well, since there are not a lot of grains that could be eaten raw without compromising the health of your digestive system.
                              (S)... yah, but raw meat/eggs/dairy is so bad for you!
                              (I)... how come, lets discuss?
                              (S)... because they are toxic. raw meat is pure toxins!
                              (I)... It could be toxic if it's contaminated, but raw meat on it's own is not toxic.
                              (S)... but it's dead flesh, so it has toxins. it's rotting the moment the animal is killed.
                              (I)... *forced smile* it doesn't work that way.
                              (S)... I haven't really researched the matter in detail. but I would never ever drink raw milk. or eat raw meat. it's just wrong. i want to do a raw juicing detox cleanse.
                              (I)... *force smile* Ok. now lets move on.

Training went great as well, the gym floor I was working out on was completely empty! good energy level, I felt like I could have pushed myself a bit harder…
                              and did 1.5 - 2 minute planks instead of the 1 minute as I planned. Super Proud of myself. Hanging leg raises were not as scary as I thought.

Plan of attack for the day:

Nutrition:
                              2,439 188.9F 80CHO 114.5P

(Eggs, steak, chicken leg, cheese, steamed veggies, salad, sweet potato mash, etc etc etc)

Training:
                              Warm up (I usually do rowing machine for 5 - 10 minutes, or push the weight rack if the floor is empty )

3X10-12
                              Single leg push up
                              Front Squat

Deadlift
                              Bulgarian Split Squat

Lunges
                              Good Mornings

Finish off with some crocs for the core.
                              Last edited by Xenya; 09-16-2010, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X