Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Primal Holla!

Hi!

I'm starting this journal to compile delicious primal recipes, and to keep track of what I'm eating and doing and how it affects my health. Hopefully, I'll be able to find my ideal diet, and eat some awesome food while getting there.

Two years ago, I was obese. My weight was going up but I had no idea to stop it - I was eating "healthy" foods, running a couple days a week, and felt like I was always hungry. Pretty much on a whim, I started counting calories, and started losing weight just by eating a couple hundred fewer calories than I calculated that I was burning. But, as I tracked my food, I noticed something strange: I felt much less hungry when I ate a lot of my calories from fat, and not that many from carbohydrates. I became interested in high-fat diets and started reading up on the science behind them. At the same time, I was starting to eat more and more "clean," cutting out most processed foods. Just doing that, I lost 45 lbs. I see primal as the next logical step, as I work on cutting body fat and building muscle.

Here goes!
    Last edited by theholla; 09-13-2010, 06:02 PM.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Oh...two things I should probably mention:
    1. I'm a pescatarian. I was raised vegetarian, and never developed a taste for most meat. I don't have a moral issue with it, it just seems kind of gross and gives me digestive issues. So, I probably eat more nuts and dairy than is ideal.
    2. I'm not an all-or-nothing type. So, I will occasionally talk about eating non-primal foods and even enjoying them. I'm ok with looking like someone who takes really good care of herself instead of someone who looks like she takes insanely good care of herself.

So, today's primal journal:

Breakfast: 2% fat Greek yogurt (it's a long story), pecans, apple, cinnamon, vanilla

Lunch: BAS! spring mix, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, black olives, feta cheese, HB egg, dressing (probably not primal)

Snack: 2 handfuls Tamari almonds

Dinner: Special dinner because it's our anniversary - salmon tartare (made from this recipe, but with no spring onions, a really big bunch of chives to compensate, cut salmon to 12 oz, reduce soy sauce to 2 tsp, reduce fish sauce to 2 tsp), sauteed asparagus with butter and crispy garlic. a couple sips of Mr. Holla's Chivas. 1 Medjool.

Activity: 70 minutes walking, light housework
    Last edited by theholla; 09-14-2010, 07:07 AM. Reason: formatting

Comment

I made it to work on time, and realized I left my lunch at home today. I was totally looking forward to it, so I think I'm going to hop the trolley home, eat my lunch, and then walk back to work (assuming things aren't too crazy here). I'll pick up some bonus low-level aerobic activity and midday sun in the process! Anyway, here's the plan:

Breakfast: 2 eggs + dash of whole milk scrambled in butter with raw goat chevre, asparagus sauteed in butter with paprika and sea salt, chunk of frozen mango

Lunch: BAS! spring mix, arugula, cucumber, red onion, crazy purple heirloom cherry tomatoes, roasted cashews, tiny shrimp, miso-ginger dressing (white miso, apple cider vinnegar, sesame oil, olive oil, garlic, ginger). Yes, I still eat fermented soy products.

Snack: tiny apple with almond butter

Dinner: We have a ton of collard greens from last week's CSA, so I'll be boiling those up, which means soul food! So, collards w/olive oil and spices, fried catfish with buttermilk almond crust, 1/2 yam with butter. I'm not thrilled with all the Omega 6's in today's menu, but catfish is freakin' delicious.

Activity: 90 minutes walking, busted out a set of pushups before work, BWC workout this evening
      Last edited by theholla; 09-14-2010, 07:08 AM. Reason: fixed formatting

Comment

So, I didn't get in my BWC workout, but I had a spectacular time sitting around a fire pit drinking Chilean red with some neighbors while the collards were boiling. It was totally impromptu and very primal!

The soul food dinner came out marvelously, and Mr. Holla was in heaven. I skipped the buttermilk, but will probably use some egg next time to help the almond crust stick better. It is amazing how sweet a yam can be, especially with some butter and cinnamon. Mmmm.

Breakfast: 2 HB eggs with my secret blend of herbs and spices (not actually secret - just chili powder, smoked paprika, and sea salt), about 2/3 of a granny smith apple with almond/flax butter

Lunch: BAS! red lettuce, cherry tomatoes, green pepper, roasted cashews, tiny shrimp, miso-ginger dressing

Snack: Teeny piece of the big boss's birthday cake. Sardines in olive oil with sriracha. I'm going to learn to like sardines goddamnit, and today is the day. Scratch that. Today was not the day. Handful of almonds.

Dinner: Not sure yet - will add it in later! Recovery smoothie with mango, Greek yogurt, whole milk (was going to be coconut milk, but it had gone moldy ), vanilla extract

Activity: 60 minutes walking, BWC workout this evening (for realz this time) Nope. Weather was gorgeous and I had energy to burn, so I went running instead, then did some pushups.
        Last edited by theholla; 09-16-2010, 09:44 AM. Reason: the best laid plans...

Comment

Primal Blueprint = Powerthirst?

Because I'm starting to feel uncomfortably energetic!

Sitting at my desk is torture. Yesterday, I missed my usual 30 minute/1.6 mile commute to work because I was running late and hopped a trolley instead. So, I took a sunny, brisk 40 minute walk at my lunch break to try to burn off some extra energy. No luck - I just felt like moving more. I walked 30 minutes home. I was still buzzing. I was planning on doing the BWC workout I missed the day before, but the weather was so perfect I put on my new racing flats and went out for an easy 5k with some sprints at the end. It was unreal - I was still fidgeting while I ran, singing songs in my head and drumming on my thighs to keep the beat. I normally take days off between runs, but I'm still craving more action today. EEP!

Comment

Breakfast: Eggs scrambled in butter with crimini mushrooms and horseradish cheddar chevre. Amazing!!!

Lunch: Ojingeo dup bap (squid and vegetables in spicy sauce), hold the rice, kimchi. Not quite primal since the sacue was a little sweet, but delicious.

Dinner: Cottage cheese w/sliced banana, handful almonds, handful cashews, sardines with sriracha (still think they're gross), frozen mango chunks

Activity: 75 minutes walking, cleaned the downstairs to get ready for Ma and Pa Holla.

Have I mentioned that I'm ass over teakettle in love with my new racing flats?

Mmmmmm. And they were on sale! I actually went back to the store and thanked the guy who recommended them to me. He was happy and surprised to get the positive feedback.

Comment

Yom Kippur: 26 hours of fasting and getting my repent on

Friday, 09-17-10

Breakfast:
              Eggs scrambled in butter with aged gouda, green beans sauteed in butter with smoked paprika

Lunch: BAS! weird & spicy Mennonite salad mix, cherry tomatoes, green pepper, roasted cashews, tiny shrimp, miso-ginger dressing

Dinner: Chili-lime salmon sauteed in olive oil, guacamole, pico de gallo (cilantro, onion, tomato, lime juice, hot sauce), bite of challah, smoothie (coconut milk, Greek yogurt, mango, banana, vanilla)

Activity: 45 minutes of walking

Saturday, 09-18-10

Dinner:
              Egg salad (HB eggs, garlic mustard, mayonnaise, black pepper, chives), fruit salad (peach, banana, apple), smoked trout, a couple concord grapes, bite of challah

Dessert: Primal ice cream (blended frozen mango, coconut milk, splash whole milk), sip of Chivas

Activity: "restorative yoga"

The fast was fairly easy. I drank some water when I started to get a headache, and took a short nap in the afternoon. Only the last two hours were bad - I was getting some strange hot flashes and feeling a bit queasy. I think that a 20 hour IF would be a piece of cake, if I ever tried it.

Comment

Is paleo-pescatarian eating inherently expensive? I feel like I'm dropping a whole lot more cash on groceries now that I'm not making beans a couple nights a week, and am packing salads for lunch instead of sandwiches. But, I've also started dropping weight again, and am at an all-time personal low: 134.5 lbs (BMI 23.1). In the short term, I think I'd like to drop another 10 lbs or so of fat and add another 5 lbs of muscle (at least). The biggest improvement though is that my energy levels are intense and my stomach is feeling pretty ok.

I'm still feeling a bit wired. It's a major sports-on-the-TV day, and I can't stop eating a ton of primal junk food. Or maybe I'm just extra hungry because of yesterday's fast.

Breakfast: Latkes fried in butter & olive oil (the hubs was craving hash browns so I made these instead - shredded new potatoes, shredded yellow onion, egg, sea salt), eggs scrambled in butter with epic amounts of chives and horseradish cheddar chevre, frozen mango chunks

Post workout: smoothie (coconut milk, Greek yogurt, strawberry, banana, and vanilla)

Lunch: A couple tamari-roasted almonds, smoked oysters w/sriracha, crab-stuffed crimini mushrooms (canned crab meat, aged gouda, parmesan, cream cheese, garlic, red onion, parsley, butter), carrots, more frozen mango chunks

Dinner: Probably grilled albacore tuna with a ginger-miso glaze, grilled asparagus with garlic and butter

Activity: 30 minutes run/walk/jog/walk at midday to get some sun (wanted to do HIIT, but realized I'm still a bit dehydrated from yesterday and decided to take it easy), body weight circuit, yelling at the TV (go Phils!)

Comment

Originally posted by theholla View Post
                  Have I mentioned that I'm ass over teakettle in love with my new racing flats?

Mmmmmm. And they were on sale! I actually went back to the store and thanked the guy who recommended them to me. He was happy and surprised to get the positive feedback.
                  I used to work at a running store and I loved the Green Silence. They are really great for a traditional running shoe and have so many neat design features that Brooks has worked in. I'm glad you like them. :P

Comment

Thanks, lcme! The guy who sold them to me was wearing a pair himself

I haven't been journaling lately so here are the highlights:

Last week, I met up with a primal acquaintance from the board who happened to be in town. We walked all over and ate exciting things, and I generally had an superb time. It was nice geeking out with someone awesome who is actually interested in the same bizarre things I am (like, say, not eating grains). I love showing people around Philly, since it always helps me see it with fresh eyes. Plus, she taught me a SWEET new way to fold shirts. Laundry day will never be the same.

Towards the end of the week, I developed a deep hunger that could not be satisfied by normal means. It led to some moments I'm not entirely proud of, like frying up eggs and cheese at midnight, after eating about half a bar of Green & Black's 85% and a pound of frozen mango. I was distressed at first, but relaxed after I realized it was almost certainly hormonal. This is my first cycle off the hormonal BC in a while.

Mr. Holla and I went out for a belated anniversary celebration Friday evening, finally getting a chance to check out a swanky Mexican place I'd been eying up, thanks to its reputation for awesome ceviche. I ate pseudo-primally for the most part, though I did have some black beans from the complementary nacho platter they sent out after taking forever to seat us. I tried a tortilla chip, out of curiosity - they used to be one of my major weaknesses. I was surprised to discover that it did nothing for me, so I just went back to eating the guacamole and ceviche with a fork. I did have a couple margaritas, without the syrup or salt. They were delicious and refreshing. Ultimately, the food was great, as was the company. I can't believe we've only been married for 2 years. It's hard to remember what it was like before we were together. Also, I think we're one of the rare couples that got sexier after marriage :P Seriously. I'm fatter in my wedding pictures than I'd ever been in my entire life, though it didn't change how awesome that day was in the least. It's right up there with seeing Neil Young at Jazzfest and the Giants winning the Super Bowl (both experiences I shared with the hubs, btw) as one of the happiest moments in my life.

One of my favorite humans on earth (we met in college) came to visit over the weekend. I don't see her nearly enough, as she lives in a cabin in the woods up in Vermont. It was her birthday weekend, so I adapted my mom's crazy hippie carrot cake recipe to the PB. It was a bit bizarre, but totally delicious. I still need to refine the recipe a bit, but I'll definitely post it once it is foolproof! We did a walking tour of my neighborhood and the old cemetery where we gathered what we thought were chestnuts, but turned out to be non-edible horse chestnuts when IDed on the interwebs. We wound up discussing my current way of eating after I warned her of the cake's gluten-free nature. She was surprisingly receptive, and it turns out she's been getting into Nourishing Traditions and Wild Fermentation - kicking it WAPF style! We've often found that our lives dovetail in interesting ways.

My friend, the hubs, and I grilled on the patio while listening to the Phillies on the radio and drinking unsweetened mojitos. We mixed cocoa and sriracha into the BBQ sauce, and it was amazing. We met one of our new neighbors and had a drink with him as well. It was crazy fun. We wound up getting kind of trashed, which isn't exactly a good thing, but it was an encouraging indicator of gut health for me: as recently as a month ago I would instantly get nauseous if I even had one drink. Now, I am physically capable of drinking enough to be stopped by my better judgement rather than my innards. I even had coffee the next morning without digestive issues! I also ate my first [tiny] intentional bites of steak and bacon. I understand why people like them, but still think I prefer some nice raw fish.

*Warning: Lady stuff in this paragraph* This week, I've basically felt like crap. I haven't had a period this bad since before my surgery. I had to call in sick from work today because I had such bad fatigue and pain - another thing that hasn't happened since before surgery. So, I'm going for an ultrasound soon to make sure that the tumor hasn't come back. Other than that, news from my doc was good. Assuming I'm still tumor-free, I'll get an IUD put in that can decrease menstrual bleeding up to 75%, which should help. Blech. I really hope I don't have to live like this until menopause, and am starting to look into alternative treatments. Haven't had much energy for exercise other than the daily commute, but I've done some pushups, body weight squats, and stair crawls just to stay limber.

In fun and non-gross news, I made ghee today. It smells and tastes amazing. I think I'm going to fry some apples in ghee with cocoa, cinnamon, and vanilla for dessert tonight. I also got a sweet deal on a nicely-fitting fall jacket and two work shirts the other day (25% off sale + my 15% education discount). I have to say - it's a lot easier to shop for clothes in the new body than in the old one.

Breakfast: eggs scrambled in butter with crimini mushrooms and raw goat chevre, tamari almonds, frozen mango chunks

Lunch: zucchini crab fritters (zucchini, canned crab, diced onion, mustard, eggs, fresh black pepper, fish sauce) topped with pseudo-tzatziki (Greek yogurt, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, sea salt, olive oil, but no cucumber to accommodate the hubs) and teeny tomatoes, baby carrots. Mr. Holla was a huge fan.

Dinner: albacore tuna sashimi, soy sauce, wasabi, spring mix with avocado and carrot ginger dressing

Dessert: winesap apple baked with fresh ghee, cocoa, cinnamon, and vanilla, topped with mascarpone cheese

Activity: cleaned some stuff, but mostly sat on my bum and rested

Comment

This week, I finally got back to feeling like myself. Primal eating is becoming second-nature at this point. My 20% is probably more like 10% now. I'm still using some condiments that have tiny amounts of industrial oils or sugar in them, as well as eating some fermented soy. I just really love the flavor. I'm also eating haricots verts, even though they are technically a legume.

Tuesday, 10-05-10

Breakfast:
                      two eggs scrambled in butter with crimini mushrooms and spinach

Lunch: BAS! baby spinach, spring mix, cherry tomatoes, tiny shrimp, cucumber, homemade blue cheese dressing (buttermilk, mayo, Greek yogurt, blue cheese, mustard)

Dinner: Crispy fried cod chunks (dredged in almond meal, chili powder, paprika, and sea salt, fried in coconut oil), green beans sauteed in butter with chili powder, "ice cream" (coconut milk, frozen banana, vanilla extract)

Activity: 75 minutes of walking. It was cold and rainy, and an all-around miserable day for it.

Wednesday, 10-06-10

Breakfast: eggs scrambled in butter with bell pepper and raw cheddar

Lunch: BAS! romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, regular tomatoes, avocado, tiny shrimp, homemade blue cheese dressing

Snack: Dark chocolate, handful pecans

Dinner: awesome squid stir-fry, glass of pinot grigio. I cut the squid into rings (but left the tentacles whole) and soaked it in pinot grigio. I heated up some coconut oil and tossed in garlic, then carrots, then scallions and baby bok choy. I cooked it about half way, then added the marinated squid and a sauce of sriracha, sesame oil, fish sauce, tamari, apple cider vinegar, a few drops of honey, and more garlic. When the squid had firmed up, I adjusted the seasonings and served it in a bowl. Mr. Holla and I had a blast chowing down. Tentacles are fun.

Activity: 35 minutes of walking, a couple sets of pushups

Thursday, 10-07-10

Breakfast: eggs scrambled in butter with raw cheddar, green beans sauteed in butter with chili powder

Lunch: BAS! romaine lettuce, smoked sockeye salmon, blue cheese, pecans, 1/2 a golden delicious apple, balsamic vinaigrette. So freakin' good.

Snack: cucumber and carrot pieces dipped in tzatziki (Greek yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil), one kalamata olive, some pecans

Dinner: albacore tuna sashimi, soy sauce, wasabi, miso-veggie soup (veggie broth, organic white miso, sesame oil, scallions, baby bok choi, shiitake mushrooms), "ice cream" (coconut milk, blueberries, strawberries, vanilla extract)

Activity: 35 minutes of walking, judo club practice. I jacked up my left shoulder doing rolls. I hope it is back in working order by Tuesday!

Friday, 10-08-10

Breakfast: 2 hardboiled eggs, golden delicious apple, almond flax butter

Lunch: was out of food at home, so I got a Cosi Greek salad with added salmon (romaine, feta, olives, tomato, cucumber, onion, salmon, vinaigrette)

Dinner: tried Mr. Holla's favorite rotisserie chicken. I liked the skin, but found the actual meat to be dry and bad-tasting. He's holding out hope that I just didn't like the lemon marinade, which is a fair point. Wound up eating 2 more hardboiled eggs, pecans, and spring mix with balsamic vinaigrette, and drinking some whiskey.

Activity: 40 minutes of walking. I am so damn sore!

Had an interesting conversation with the hubs. He's kind of convinced, and ready to try cutting out grains except for very select occasions. I'm excited.
                      Last edited by theholla; 10-08-2010, 10:10 PM. Reason: added dinner

Comment

Friday, 10-15-10

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled in butter with cheddar chevre and crimini mushrooms

Lunch: BAS! spring mix, tomatoes, red onion, h-b egg, shredded carrots, salmon, pesto vinaigrette

Snack: pecans and frozen berries

Dinner: Mediterranean-ish cod stew (olive oil, garlic, onions, vegetable broth, clam juice, sea salt, black pepper, parsley, tomatoes, kalamata olives, fresh lemon juice, saffron, cod), sliced gala apple with cocoa and mascarpone

Activity: 35 minutes of walking. I have a groin pull from landing wrong during Tuesday's judo practice.

Saturday, 10-16-10

Breakfast: 2.5 eggs scrambled in butter with spinach and gouda, frozen berries
                        Last edited by theholla; 10-19-2010, 01:35 PM.

Comment

I can't remember what I ate the rest of Saturday, except that it involved a lot of mascarpone

Sunday, 10-17-10

Brunch: 2.5 eggs scrambled in butter with gouda, raw cheddar, spinach, and chives

While at the sports bar: 1 gin & tonic (I though I was craving it, but don't think I'll need another for a while), 1 glass of bourbon

Snack: way too many cashews, sliced granny smith apple with almond butter

Dinner: grilled squid marinated in and stuffed with a mixture of red onion, shredded carrot, kimchi, chili paste, apple cider vinegar, fish sauce, sesame oil, and a drop of honey; bok choi sauteed with garlic and tamari in olive oil

Activity: cleaning, cleaning, and more cleaning

Monday, 10-18-10

Breakfast: big granny smith apple with almond-flax butter. Had an awful stomach ache afterwards.

Lunch: BAS! romaine, avocado, feta, egg, tomato, cucumber, olives, vinaigrette

Snack: cashews. I think I need to get my nut habit under control.

Dinner: seared albacore tuna marinated in tamari, fish sauce, sesame oil, sriracha, lime juice, and garlic, fried in coconut oil; stir-fried broccoli in coconut oil with garlic and tamari

Activity: 45 minutes of walking, some push-ups before work

Tuesday, 10-19-20

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled in butter with cheddar chevre and rainbow chard

Lunch: went out for lunch with a coworker. I figured it was as good a time as any to indulge a craving since I'm probably going to have to start doing elimination diets soon, so I had tofu with string beans, tomatoes, and onion in a Thai red curry sauce, with a glass of green tea. Delicious. I must be crazy for craving tofu.

Comment

I really enjoy your journal - thanks for all the detailed food descriptions. I was a vegetarian for 18 years, so I really don't know how to cook anything, especially seafood. I have already copied your crab cake recipe into my file and I'm going to try it this week. If you have a second, could you tell how you did the breading for your catfish? I love it, but haven't had it in years and have no idea how to make it with an almond crust. Sounds delicious!

Good luck on your continued journey.

To share some lady stuff (all other readers look away if not fond of TMI): I have had an IUD for years (NOT the kind that makes your periods lighter, unfortunately) and this weekend, just one week into the PB, I had the most horrible series of cramps and bleeding in my life - I could barely breathe - and it was two weeks before my period was supposed to start. So I went into the doctor Monday and she told me it might have to do with my IUD needing to be switched out, not to worry, but now that I see your post, I wonder if it's not my IUD at all, but if maybe there is something that happens in the first little while after you start your PB that causes menstruation to go all wonky. I haven't seen anything on this, but I will let you know if I do. So hopefully you don't have anything bad going on, and it is just a side effect of our bodies getting reprogrammed on the PB... I will keep my fingers crossed for you. And BTW, I LOVE having an IUD. When I get mine switched out, I am going to switch to the nice Mirena that reduces your periods by 75%...)

~ Ex-Herbivore Goes Carnivore: Jazmin's PB Journal ~

Comment

I have the Mirena and I loooooooooooove it. No periods, rare spotting, cramps not too bad even. Mood swings are a bitch... or maybe that's just me.

Comment

Working...
                              X