No announcement yet.

The Primal Holla!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aw, thanks for commenting guys! I'll definitely holler at rach when I get my garden up and going. In the meantime, I'm thinking that it might make sense to start a Philly Paleo/Primal meet-up (or meat-up, har har). I'm going to look into that...

Sibylsybil, I always try to be sensible, so it's nice to have some outside confirmation! I love to eat, so if I'm actually going to stick with a diet, it has to be tasty.

Anyway, I feel like crap physically. Mr. Holla and I took Gramma to see Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater this weekend (which was amazing), but first we took her out to dinner. We had reservations at a fabulous, casual, local, organic place. Gramma wanted Red Lobster. Ughhhh. The hubs and I are still feeling it in our guts. Over the last week, I've been drinking more than optimal (again), so that can't be helping either.

Other than that, I've bought my first roast (some local grass-fed sirloin tip, mmmmmmm) and can't wait to cook it up. I've also decided that on days where I don't eat my usual egg-y breakfast, hard-boiled eggs are my perfect snack food. Much more satisfying than nuts, and much less likely to be mindlessly devoured while prepping dinner. And, I can't complain too much about Red Lobster since I did go to a fabulous French place yesterday, where I ate some truly outstanding salmon.

And on a totally non-dietary note, I'd like to give some props to my New York Knicks. I had so many doubts going into this trade, but watching Carmelo and Billups on the court is making me very happy. I wish I could find some crow to eat. I guess in the meantime, I'll just have to make do with the chicken leg I packed for lunch.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

I managed to get my hands on two grass-fed oxtails and am very, very excited. It's time to start reaping the benefits of bones, and what better way to do it than with thyme, allspice, and chili peppers?

My partner is currently the leanest I've ever seen him, and is packing on muscle nicely. This is all with very sketchy adherence and no physical activity outside of 3 body weight strength training sessions a week and a couple hours of full-court basketball.

Comment

Oxtail was awesome! I Primal-ized this recipe: Jamaican Oxtail Stew

I generally love the New York Times, but when I read Mark Bittman's column I want to pull my hair out. I often feel like he's on the verge of "getting it"...and then he falls right back into his low-fat whole-grain nonsense. Food politics are freaky.

Comment

Originally posted by theholla View Post

I generally love the New York Times, but when I read Mark Bittman's column I want to pull my hair out. I often feel like he's on the verge of "getting it"...and then he falls right back into his low-fat whole-grain nonsense. Food politics are freaky.
          I agree. It's like he has a run that is positive, then blows it all.
          This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
          Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I find him uniquely infuriating for that exact reason. I'll be reading along, nodding my head, feeling good about farm markets or cooking from scratch or whatever and then...bam. He's saying we should be using skim milk instead of cream.

Maybe I just want him to be more Michael Pollan-y (who I do like quite a bit, in spite of the whole "meat should only be a condiment" thing).

Comment

I haven't had any contagious illnesses since I started supplementing vitamin D. Yesterday, I spent the day on a cold, damp soundstage doing makeup on sick people. Even the director was running a fever. This will be an interesting test of my immune system... Running around in the cold all day left me pooped and voracious. After getting back, I met the hubs and one of his colleagues at my one of my favorite sports bars - yeah, it's too expensive and packed with obnoxious yuppies, but they have gluten-free cider on tap! I warmed up with some cider and an awesome flatiron steak, then went home, ate three eggs, and
              messed around on the pull up bar.

I've been working on getting my first pull up for a while now doing negatives, flexed arm hang, and assisted pull ups. I'm definitely making progress and building up my arms, but I'm still just so far away from being able to do a real pull up. And my traps (which were already overdeveloped) are getting even bulkier. Blerg.

Made some awesome scrambled eggs for brunch today: baby spinach, blue cheese, and bacon. Mmmmmm.

Comment

I've discovered my favorite sardine eating option to-date: a bit of sea salt, and absolutely saturated in Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute.

They still squick me out.

Comment

Yup. Got the cold.

Comment

I'm riding high on a decidedly non-primal cocktail of pseudoephedrine, loratadine, fluticasone, and caffeine. WOOOOO!!!!!

While I was home sick yesterday, I experimented with some Australian pull ups in between my numerous naps. I'm definitely going to add them in to the regular rotation! I also took a fabulous nap on my deck, soaking up the sun, starting work on my tan, and hopefully producing some nice vitamin D in the process.

I decided to splurge and order two additional sports bras - I've lost enough fat around my ribcage that all but one of my old ones is too loose now. I'm going to try Moving Comfort's Juno bra - it is similar to the Fiona that I've been wearing, but has a racer back instead (so I can wear it with my racer back tanks). It's not cheap, but I was able to find it on Amazon for around $31 with free shipping, which ain't bad.

Whenever I see a woman out jogging and her chest is flying all over the place, I always want to stop her and ask if she needs a recommendation for a good sports bra. Busty ladies need to run and jump too, but it is waaay better with proper support.

Comment

I'm over my cold, and ready to take the new sports bras out for a spin! Unfortunately, I'm working absurd hours this week and don't think I'll have time for a proper run until the weekend, unless I can sneak it in tomorrow morning. I got a great body weight workout in this weekend while visiting my folk for Pesach, and had a blast doing Australian pull-ups under their spiral staircase. My mom caught me, and thinks I'm hardcore now Had a bit too much sugar (ugh...Manischewitz), but kept my diet pretty clean and ate enough salmon and eggs to keep my protein up.

While I was there, I figured I'd talk to my brother about my traps - he's definitely up on weight training's aesthetic component (in other words, he's vain). He doesn't think I look overdeveloped there at all, so maybe I just have a distorted idea of what is normal for a woman's shoulders. I'll ramp up my usual workouts and watch out for any burgeoning hypertrophy. Mr. Holla has been put on notice to keep an eye on my traps too.

On a totally different topic, I feel like the forum has been filled with more woo woo and trolling than usual lately. I'm thinking about taking a hiatus...

Comment

This is pretty much me (except the cat that's playing with the trilobite would be a calico).

Comment

This is pretty much me (except the cat that's playing with the trilobite would be a calico).
                          Haaha! I love it! Do you have three cats?
                          Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

Comment

Yeah... that whole 'vegan until dinner' thing doesn't fly... healthy whole grains, vom. Makes me think of my ex-roommate, a veghead who is WAY into the grains/fiber/carbs, and Mark Bittman. I really like some of his recipes (there's a squash fritatta/omelette that's fantastic, for instance) but ack. Every time I think, yes! this is great! the next bit is WHOLE GRAINSSSSS.
                            Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

Comment

Originally posted by sibylsybil View Post
                              Haaha! I love it! Do you have three cats?
                              Yup! The grey and cream ones in my avatar, plus a calico. They're all super friendly and cuddly, which sometimes leads them to grabbing us with their claws out, and the youngest one is still learning not to bite when she gets excited.

I feel like there's a whole subculture of people out there who have the same reaction to Mark Bittman. I see paleo-esque comments on a lot of his articles, basically saying what we're saying - yup, vegetables and whole fresh foods are good, but don't fear fat and protein. I like some of his recipes too - especially as sides for my meat, hehe. I was totally picturing Mark Bittman as a health food zombie who eats brown rice instead of brains when I read "WHOLE GRAINSSSSS," by the way.

Comment

I'm toying with the idea of recording meals and workouts again. I don't like it so much as a means of "staying accountable" (whatever that means), but I do like to be able to look back and have a record of what I'm doing and how it's working. I'm going to give it a try for a few days, and see if I can do it without making myself crazy.

Breakfast: 2 cups coffee with HWC; rainbow chard with garlic, sea salt, and fresh pepper sauteed in coconut oil; 2 Griggstown Italian chicken sausages fried in coconut oil - white wine, parsley, lemon, and garlic flavor. I'm experimenting with non-egg breakfast options. The sausages were awesome, but a bit too salty (and spendy) for every day. $6.50 for four 3-oz sausages? Yikes.

Lunch: water w/lime, roasted sweet potato w/ghee, sea salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla; sardines w/seasoning mix; sauteed asparagus w/coconut oil, GF tamari, garlic, and ginger; and 2 eggs fried in butter. After skipping them for breakfast, I was craving them for lunch.

Dinner: Baked sockeye rubbed with butter, djon mustard, lemon juice, and seasoning mix and topped with grated parmesan (it does get crunchy in the oven - score!); caramelized red onions and rainbow chard with coconut oil, curry powder, and sea salt. I was still hungry, so I had two more fried eggs and 2 slices of raw gouda. I don't love the flavor of this gouda as much as the aged goat gouda I'd been getting, but it's grass-fed and organic which is a plus.

Mysterious sleep eating: I fell asleep, but then the hubs came home with our Easter basket from his mom and various leftovers from Gramma. He woke me up, and I devoured 1/2 a bag of plantain chips, 1/2 a bag of pork rinds, about a cup of chicken salad, and 3 pieces of melt-y Easter chocolate. Damn.

Activity: Slow 30 minute/not quite 5k run before lunch. I forgot that it typically takes me a couple weeks to make the transition to running in the heat, and I was hurting in the 80 degree weather. Got some good sunshine though, and these new sports bras really keeps things immobilized. The big downside: they give me visible cleavage in some of my tanks, and I prefer not to be a spectacle when I run. Then I did 25 minutes of my body weight circuit mid-afternoon. I love the weekend.
                                Last edited by theholla; 04-25-2011, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X