No announcement yet.

SPENT---Using PB to heal from Major Stress Syndrome--PB Challenge Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, IO.. She gave my son D2 because he's already taking D3 10,000IU/day and is still deficient. The D2 is once a week for 8 weeks, I think.

This is such a stressful time, but I think I am holding up pretty well, considering. Yesterday, I got in about 45 min. of walking and it didn't send my plantar fasciitis into a screaming pain episode. Taping the foot seems to be working pretty well.

My son is getting treated for Lyme disease now. I pray and meditate daily.

Today I am going to the Farmer's Market and will pick up some veggies, some goat, lamb and beef, and fish.

At least my son has agreed to go gluten-free until he feels better.

Pea

Comment

• I had NO IDEA Lyme Disease was such a controversial, epidemic, debilitating illness.

Back in the day I was a young physician, there was an expression---"if you know syphilis you know all of medicine." That's because syphilis (which was pretty prevalent in the area I studied) can affect every organ system. Including the brain. The skin. The eye. The heart. Everything!

Well, Lyme Disease, caused by an even more complex spirochete than the syphilis bug, does the same thing. Only more complexly!

My poor son is on a ton of psychiatric meds for what now appears to be a long-standing (years) Lyme infection. Un-fuckin-believable.

The good news is that he understands in order to beat this nasty infection, he has to build up his body's healing powers. And so he has given up sugar and gluten! He is eating all the nutrient-dense foods I am supplying him.

Here's what HE'S doing today:
      1. Smoothie w/ K-Pax supplement made with goat's milk yogurt and berries.
      2. Bok Choy and Onion stirfry with freshly steamed LI clams.
      3. Dinner tonight will be sliced grassfed steak with Swiss Chard and Shitake Mushroom Stirfry.
      4. He will snack on Goat and Elk Jerky from grassfed pastured animals.

for me?
      Skipped Breakfast
      Had the Clam StirFry for lunch---DELISH.
      Will have steak stirfry for dinner.

It is very very very hard work caring for Greg right now. He has moments of panic, moments of terrible confusion so that he looks almost delirious. Thank G-d this doesn't freak me out now that I understand what he's going through! Since I am an amateur herbalist as well as professional physician, I am going to make him milk thistle tea (for his liver) and hawthorne berry syrup for his heart.

Pulling out all the stops. He's essentially eating Paleo now (with yogurt and butter) and we'll see how he heals. Antibiotics help, too...

Pea

Comment

• Continuing to keep both of you in my thoughts ... it's surely good to have Greg eating healthful foods. When will he be able to start tapering off the psychotropic meds, do you think? That, I think, would represent another significant bit of progress. Is the Lyme epidemic all caused by tick bites, or is there some other vector of infection?

Huzzah for the pain-free walking, too!
        “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

Comment

• IO, he's been on psychotropic drugs since he was 10 years old, so I'm sure his psychiatrist will be reluctant to do anything while he's in such bad shape. I think I might advocate for him to get off one of his meds because it interferes with the effectiveness of the single best antibiotic for Lyme, but I probably won't ask for that to happen for six weeks. Thank you for your kind concern, it is very much appreciated.

My younger son, Matt, also has dietary issues. I breastfed him for an extended time---almost 3 years---and when he went on cow's milk he had a severe allergy to it. I mean, he threw up so much at one point the docs wanted to hospitalize him because he started losing weight! On a hunch, I asked for one week's grace and took him off all dairy products. VOILA! He immediately stopped throwing up!

Well, my 'baby' is now 19 years old, and lately he's been throwing up again. DUH. He stopped dairy and the vomiting stopped again, although he does eat yogurt and such. He has terrible acne, which I believe is related to his continuing dairy consumption, and now he has a pimple that is horribly infected and looks like an abscess. I had him applying hot packs all day yesterday but if it doesn't look better this morning, I'm taking him to a walk-in clinic for antibiotics. It's that bad----I'm the LAST person to want to treat with antibiotics but this thing looks so nasty I'm afraid he could get really sick.

Greg started "herxing" yesterday. (My learning curve is very steep). This is a reaction to the die-off of spirochetes when the antibiotics start working. It makes me people crazy, especiallly with neurologic/cognitive symptoms. Yesterday, just before dinner, Greg's vision was off, he was really confused. At least I knew what was going on, so I didn't freak.

Ok, now me.

Today I want to walk. The fact that I WANT to walk is good. It means I am not SPENT. Walking the 30-45 minutes that I do makes me feel better. This is a good sign. At the nadir of my SPENT syndrome, activity---any activity---drained me. So this A Good Thing.

Eggs for brekkie, with some of my leftover cooked beets.
          Dinner tonight: Liver and Onions, Goat stew with plantains. Leafy green Salad.

One step at a time.
          pea

Comment

• Originally posted by PrimalWannabeGirl View Post
            IO, he's been on psychotropic drugs since he was 10 years old, so I'm sure his psychiatrist will be reluctant to do anything while he's in such bad shape. I think I might advocate for him to get off one of his meds because it interferes with the effectiveness of the single best antibiotic for Lyme, but I probably won't ask for that to happen for six weeks. Thank you for your kind concern, it is very much appreciated.
            Yeah, I didn't mean to imply I thought it'd be soon ... but if many of his symptoms are from the Lyme spirochete, once that begins to get under control, it's something to think about. Six weeks seems a reasonable time frame. I hope the herxing goes as smoothly as it can ... what a tough transition.

Originally posted by PrimalWannabeGirl View Post
            Today I want to walk. The fact that I WANT to walk is good. It means I am not SPENT. Walking the 30-45 minutes that I do makes me feel better. This is a good sign. At the nadir of my SPENT syndrome, activity---any activity---drained me. So this A Good Thing.
            I hope you get a lovely walk in. That's part of my plan for the day too. My best to all three of you.

My primal journal

Comment

• I'm still here. Have been totally focused on helping my son recover, to the detriment of my own wellbeing. I know: in the event of loss of cabin pressure, put your own oxygen mask on first, then assist others. I'm working on it.

I'm still fat. I still have plantar fasciitis. I still feel tired and weak most of the time.

BUT.

1. I am getting to the gym twice a week to do SOMETHING. It could be a water exercise class, walking the track, or just sitting the whirlpool, but I get there and I spend the time on ME.
              2. My older son and I are battling a known enemy: TICK BORNE DISEASE. It may take a long time, but he will get well. I just have to stay calm and steady.
              3. I am now a member of a spiritual community that is nourishing and helps restoreth my soul...

Yesterday was an example of a nearly perfect eating day.

B: 1 egg, 1 spinach-stuffed pepper.
              L: half a spinach-stuffed pepper, a bit of canned salmon, some lacto-fermented cabbage
              D: pot roast cooked in Thai red currry-coconut milk sauce with onions and carrots; black bean pancakes, green salad with olives

I felt so good!
              Pea

Comment

• So glad to hear from you. Slow, steady steps in all areas—that'll get you where you want to be.

My primal journal

Comment

• Thanks, IO.

One day at a time. Doing the best I can do......

Today's plans:
                  1. Breakfast: eggs and veggies in coconut milk
                  2. Going to try to walk outside this afternoon, it's sunny (but cold).
                  3. Clean my bedroom, vacuum upstairs.
                  4. Dinner: steak and sweet potatoes, maybe fried in coconut oil

Pea

Comment

• I've bitten the bullet. I've gone VLC----approximately 20 net carbs/day, a la Atkins. No, it is not a liveable diet forever, but I have reached the point where I am losing control of my health and I need to get it back. So I am doing this not only to lose weight----I'm very uncomfortable----but to get control of my inflammatory issues, as I am in a fair amount of pain.

I am clearly in ketosis. I have, for the first time, developed low-carb flu. I am cranky, headache-y, light-headed, and I welcome it, because I know it signals a shift from glucose-burning to fat-burning. It means I am turning down the thermostat of my inflammatory issues.

Typically, I exercise, then focus on my nutrition. This time I am focusing on diet first.

Today I am only going to mosey over to the Y and splash around in the pool. Maybe do a little resistance work. I hate the water, but it's about all I can do. WARNING TMI AHEAD!!!!! When I do any decent strength work on land---including just plain ole air squats, my severe pelvic prolapse makes everything uncomfortable and difficult, if not impossible.

So pool it is.

Pea

Comment

• Just finished reading Gary Taubes' WHY WE GET FAT AND WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT. I never did get around to reading GOOD CALORIES, BAD CALORIES, so this was my first exposure to his work. I thought I pretty much knew the background to the whole carb-restriction deal, but I am happy to report that I learned a lot from this book. I found his review of the medical literature on the subject so interesting. I love old medical literature...))

My son is slowly getting better. He is on considerable antibiotic therapy, alongside mega-potent probiotics. His diet sucks, which kills me to watch, but he's got control issues about food, and he IS almost 21 years old, so it's best if I just keep my mouth shut and cook good whole primal foods.

I am extremely commited to my own health improvement right now, so I'm cooking what I want to cook, trying to add the most innocuous of starches and grains as sides that I can skip. This way, at least they will eat the good main dishes I make!

I'm off now to hunt and gather at the local organic foods coop.

Pea

Comment

• Wow PWG, what a ride you're on! I'm sending positive vibes for your son AND for you.

It always amazes me these diseases that so affect our system and are so often missed completely by the medical establishment. Craziness!!

I'm glad you found some spiritual nourishment, and it sounds like your physical nourishment is pretty good too!

Hang in there lady...
                        sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

• Good to hear from you; I've been thinking of you and was getting concerned with your absence. Sounds like you're doing the best you can for all involved. Especially if your own healing becomes obvious, your son may come around regarding his eating ... I hope your patience is deeper than mine.

My primal journal

Comment

Working...
                          X