Primal Journal (winencandy)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATZ lesson #1

Teaching the Success Signal and Guidance Signals. This should take about 5 minutes.

The Success Signal – X – tells the dog, "e"X"actly". "That's the e"X"act thing I wanted you to do!!" Sort of like a "click" from a clicker, its a "marker". The 1st thing to “teach” your dog is to take food from your hand. This is so easy for your dog and it guarantees success.

Hold the treat (use REAL MEAT to show how important this is) between your fingers and "present" the food to your dog. Use a swift, confident movement of your hand and arm to "place" the food just in front of her nose. Say “X” and as she takes the food say “X” again. Repeat 3 times.

The Guidance Signal – xxxx – tells your dog she is right on track. As long as she hears it, she may keep going to the safe completion of the task, at which time she will hear "X!!" If she gets off track, the GS stops until she moves back on track, in which case the signal continues.

Hold the food in your fingers behind your back. Say "X" without moving your hand, then start moving your hand toward your dog as you give the GS, "xxxxx". Your dog should be moving toward your hand as you are moving toward her mouth. When you reach each other, say "X" as she takes the treat. Repeat 3 times.

Test the Signals by holding the treat behind your back and waiting for her to look away. When she is distracted, say "X". If she understands the Success Signal she will turn quickly to look at you. Reward her with the treat using the GS as she moves towards the treat. If she doesn't look, go back to the beginning and try again.

That's it. Once they've got it, they've got it. Don't drill your dog. Drilling makes the dog second guess. (They must be doing it wrong or why would their human keep asking them to do it?)

Use the sound X because it's different, it's not used in everyday language, it has a hard crisp sound and it will get the dog's attention.

Now that they understand X, you can start naming their world.
    Touch your dog's paw and say "Paw X paw", name their body parts, name the rooms of the house, name the kids, name the door, name everything.

(This is all available from the SATZ_Main : Safe_Alternative_Teaching_Zone Yahoo Group)
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• I'm guessing you need to have separate training sessions with the dogs?

Comment

• It depends if they can "Mind their own business"
        For this, they can both be there, but you are working with one at a time.
        This is quick. I would maybe give the "more excited" dog the treat 1st? Then as soon as possible do the 2nd one.
        They will learn by watching each other.
        Or you can do it separately.
        "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
        "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
        "Moderation sucks." Suse
        "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• I like chocolate whey protein mixed into melted creamed coconut and poured into ice cube trays. It helps me get extra protein and the benefit of coconut in one small "cube".

Comment

• I like that idea! Protein without "filling up" with a shake...and more portable too.

That will be my next experiment. I love creamed coconut. My current jar of Whey Protein is Chai Latte...hmmm
            "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Teaching the Two-Finger Target & “Here”

(We use "Here" instead of Come, because a lot of time Come has been "ruined". So we use "Here" to show it's different.)

The next step is teaching the two-finger target. The purpose of “here” is for your dog to come immediately to your hand and touch his nose to your fingers. This will be his failsafe recall. Hold your hand like a two fingered “gun”. Place your two fingers crisply just in front of your dog’s nose as you say “here” in a cheerful tone. Start the Guidance Signal immediately – “xxxxxxxxxx”.

Most dogs will sniff or investigate your fingers out of curiosity. Hold your hand still. As your dog moves closer to your fingers, give your Guidance Signal more energy to let him know he is on the path to success. As he touches your hand, give the Success Signal – “X” in a happy tone. Be Quick! Reward him with a few treats as you tell him what a good job he did at touching the target “here”. Repeat this sequence two more times (3 cycles) and take a break.

You should also teach him to maintain contact with the target until he hears “X”. Practice in sets of three to build distance and duration but DO NOT drill your dog for minutes on end. It’s boring and tedious and he won’t want to keep working with you.

Set yourself up for success by working in a controlled environment. If you limit distractions while working with your dog he will find you much more interesting. (So don't try this outside yet unless you think you can be more interesting than a squirrel )

Some dogs do not like touching their noses so you can use their “chin” as a target.

“Here” is not optional. If he fails to respond quickly the first time, remove the target and do a "Turn Away" for 30 seconds. (Cross your arms and turn your body away from your dog) Before you ask for “here” a second time, make it easier to comply by moving closer to your dog and re-presenting the target. If he fails to respond remove the target and do another Turn Away.

The third presentation should be made so the dog cannot fail unless he chooses to do so. The third target should be presented 2 inches away from his nose. If he refuses to work again, it is time to remove the target quickly and “Walk Away” (out of the room and closing the door between you and the dog.) Only stay away for about 30 seconds.

After you have returned from the Walk Away, give him only one chance at a time to cooperate. Tell him, “I would like you to come “here”. If you do we will have a big party and you will get treats. If you don’t come “here” then I will leave. Are you ready?

Again ask for “here”, making the target ridiculously easy to touch, and if he refuses you say pleasantly “No?? Bye”, and “Walk Away” again. Keep repeating until he decides cooperation is more rewarding than being left alone over and over. Be prepared to repeat this sequence as many times as necessary for you to gain his cooperation. Do not lose patience or show any frustration or you will fail to gain his trust and cooperation. If he sees that you don’t trust him to learn then how can he trust you to teach?

Remain calm and cheerful throughout and reward him handsomely when he finally chooses to cooperate with you. It shows him how important this is to you and it’s a major break-through in your relationship.

(again this is from the Yahoo SATZ group - you should join)

If your dog "gets" this, it should only take a few minutes. If not...keep going until he gets it.
              This is probably enough for a start. Keep naming things.
              "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Maybe May
                1. Work on the 20th Anniversary Band video – thought about it again…I really should do something tonight...
                2. SLEEP – 12 hours!!!!
                3. Exercise – Do SOMETHING Physical every day!!! – a little bit

Food
                1:00: BAS: 3 hard boiled eggs, red pepper, cucumber, cauliflower, mushrooms, garlic, Balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
                3:30: A Protein shake with coconut milk and berries, some coconut oil with chocolate (I tried a 3:1 ratio, it wasn't as good as the 2:1, but it was tolerable and probably better for me 'cause I won't eat as much )
                5:00: glass of white
                6:00: Crockpot Venison, carrots, asparagus, BAS: baby spinach, red pepper, cucumber, cauliflower, mushrooms, garlic, Balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Chocolate Chai

Avoid Poisons & Stupid Mistakes
                avoided

Move Slowly, Lift Heavy, Sprint
                5 Tibetan Rites – 8X

L3 Pushup – 20, 20

Static Hold/Reverse Chin Up: -2 - Hold for 4 seconds, then 4 second controlled drop

Sleep, Sun, Play, and Use Your Brain
                Bed last night at 9:30, up at 9:30 this morning!
                Got caught up with some of my MDA reading.
                Tibetan Rites outside on the grass! The sun was shining and it was beautiful out!!!!!
                Puttered around this afternoon. Did some dishes, made ham soup, helped my daughter plant her morning glory, then put up some fencing to protect it from the Papillons. Honestly, I think they are goats, they graze and chew grass and plants in the yard.

Army Wannabe Son came home for about 15 minutes to pack his backpack. His friends waited outside the gate. They were going overnight hiking again. So I used the time to help Josie get Easy with kids in the yard. Kids at the back gate were/are a HUGE trigger for her. I went to the door and one of the kids waiting was my nephew’s girlfriend. I let Lily out to go see her and told her she could come in the gate, but I told Josie, who was barking her little head off “That’s NOT Easy!” I put Josie’s leash on and handed it to University Son in the living room and I went out to see the girl. Josie yipped and cried like she was getting her tail cut off! I went back in and told Josie that if she wanted to see the girl, then she needed to stay Easy. I asked Josie if she was Easy and we went to the door. I made her wait at the door and then I released her and we walked out together (on her leash) to see the girl. She walked up relaxed and wagging her tail and sniffed the girl (who was sitting down) She even gradually let the girl pet her!!!! This is HUGE for Josie!! I kept telling her what a great job she was doing! Then I asked my nephew to come in the gate and sit down. I told Josie what was happening and that she needed to stay Easy if she wanted to see him. She did and then she gradually walked over and sniffed him too!!!! She wasn’t so sure she wanted him to touch her, so we didn’t press it. They were ready to leave so I told Josie they were going to get up and leave and that she needed to stay Easy. I gave her the Guidance Signal as they were moving (xxxxxxxxxxxxx) to help her stay Easy. She stayed Easy and didn’t try to go after them!!! We said goodbye and went back inside and had some chicken hearts for treats!! I made sure I told both of them what a wonderful job they did staying Easy while the kids were here.

A glass of wine and my SATZ lesson posts.
                I gotta give credit. Those lessons are on the Yahoo group site. If you think you are interested in teaching your dogs this way, join. It’s free, friendly and very helpful. They also have a members only Vimeo group so you can videotape your problems (or successes) and get coaching tips. The trainer/teacher posts demonstration videos as well. Again, free.

University Son just got a phone call and he’s off to play Dungeons and Dragons, with my VW Beetle, so I’ve got no wheels tonight…

The Farmer is out in the field planting…
                "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Ok. You can get Chai Latte protein??? Tell me more.

And I haven't had ice cream for weeks. I hope, when I eventually have some, that it doesn't make me feel ill. I do love ice cream.
                  Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                  Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                  CW: 146.8 lbs
                  GW 140 lbs
                  A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

• Originally posted by belinda View Post
                    Ok. You can get Chai Latte protein??? Tell me more.
                    It's called Whey Gourmet. It also comes in vanilla.
                    I got it in the "Health food" section at the Loblaws Superstore grocery store on Wonderland and Southdale.

Originally posted by belinda View Post
                    And I haven't had ice cream for weeks. I hope, when I eventually have some, that it doesn't make me feel ill. I do love ice cream.
                    Me too!! And summer's just starting...
                    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Do you think the Chai Latte stuff would be good with almond milk ... I got a case of 6 boxes when I went to Costco with my friend, now I`m trying to think of things to do with it.

A protein drink would fill my 3:00 in the afternoon lull at work quite nicely, I think.
                      Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                      Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                      CW: 146.8 lbs
                      GW 140 lbs
                      A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

• Originally posted by belinda View Post
                        Do you think the Chai Latte stuff would be good with almond milk ... I got a case of 6 boxes when I went to Costco with my friend, now I`m trying to think of things to do with it.

A protein drink would fill my 3:00 in the afternoon lull at work quite nicely, I think.
                        You could try it. I find I have to add things. Just adding water is gross!
                        I've been using coconut milk and a bit of frozen fruit. Sometimes I add cinnamon and or vanilla extract.
                        "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Been a few days since I've stopped by...as you know I've been a bit preoccupied...

Nice progress with the butterfly ladies .

I like your coconut oil/chocolate treat. Might have to try that. I once made the "coconut bark": coconut oil with cocoa powder...not bad, but not particularly great either. I did recently buy a small sized silicone mold, that I was thinking about making some almond butter cups with a dark chocolate shell one of these days. Someone made something like that and posted, maybe it was Batty a few months ago...on the list to try out for sure.

Weird about the belly issues after the ice cream. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing if that was actually the cause...have you had issues with other dairy recently?

Nice looking garden! Aside from lettuce an onions, what's on the planting agenda?
                          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Thanks so much for the SATZ tips, I will start with those and join the group for the rest to save your poor fingers.

Charlie is pretty clever and very keen to please so I think it'll work great. I've never really given him any consistant signals so he probably just gets confused when I go off that he's doing something wrong... poor fella.

I hope your stomach pains and the ice-cream were un-related, that really would be a tradegy.
                            My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
                              Been a few days since I've stopped by...as you know I've been a bit preoccupied...
                              That's OK

Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
                              Nice progress with the butterfly ladies .
                              Thank you

I like your coconut oil/chocolate treat. Might have to try that. I once made the "coconut bark": coconut oil with cocoa powder...not bad, but not particularly great either. I did recently buy a small sized silicone mold, that I was thinking about making some almond butter cups with a dark chocolate shell one of these days. Someone made something like that and posted, maybe it was Batty a few months ago...on the list to try out for sure.
                              I tried the coconut oil and cocoa powder bark a while ago. I like the coconut oil/chocolate better!

Weird about the belly issues after the ice cream. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing if that was actually the cause...have you had issues with other dairy recently?
                              I really haven't had dairy very much since my Feb 30 DONN. A little cheese as garnish, no ice cream or yogurt or milk. (except a small amount in scalloped potatoes) I guess I should try it again.

Nice looking garden! Aside from lettuce an onions, what's on the planting agenda?
                              Thanks. It doesn't look nearly as nice by the end of the season The weeds tend to get away on us!

We usually plant onions, peas, leaf lettuce, sweet corn, kohlrabi, potatoes, (Lily helps us dig them out - but she tends to steal them!) broccoli (not cauliflower - we don't have very much luck with it) tomatoes - large and tiny, cucumbers, zuchinni, brussel sprouts, green beans, umm...I think that's all...we have planted leeks, water mellons and giant pumpkins in the past, and horseradish (I don't recommend that! It took over our garden and we were pulling it out for years!)
                              "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                                Thanks so much for the SATZ tips, I will start with those and join the group for the rest to save your poor fingers.
                                Wonderful! It really is a friendly, supportive group!

Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                                Charlie is pretty clever and very keen to please so I think it'll work great. I've never really given him any consistant signals so he probably just gets confused when I go off that he's doing something wrong... poor fella.
                                I'm sure he'll catch on quickly!

Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                                I hope your stomach pains and the ice-cream were un-related, that really would be a tradegy.
                                Me too!!
                                I think I'll have to try it again - just to make sure
                                "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

Working...
                                X