Primal Journal (winencandy)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoid Poisons & Stupid Mistakes
    I drove past 4 $tarbucks today and I even stopped at a Chapters that had a $tarbucks in it. Not once did I feel the “need” or desire to have a Chai Latte!!! I simply thought “I could have one if I wanted to, but I don’t want one right now.” For me, that is easier to "deal" with than "I can't have that"
    This is good progress!

Comment

• I think so too

I just read this blog post: On Being Strict - Paleo Chronicles

And I REALLY like this paragraph:

If you base your decisions from a place of love, as in, "my body functions best on this meal plan" can't you see how much healthier this attitude is for you? And sustainable? It is the same if you were caring for a small child or pet, and nutrition, exercise/play and napping (!) are paramount to their thriving. So it is with you. Make changes because you love you. You don't need to discipline yourself, I guarantee that what you really need is to love yourself. Then when you are deviating, if you even do so at all, you do so with a clear conscience: no baggage, no guilt.
      "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
      "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
      "Moderation sucks." Suse
      "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
      "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• I re-read this post and here are my "answers":

17 Reasons You're Not Losing Weight

1. You think you’re eating healthy, but aren’t.
        I don't consume "massive amounts of products”, just real foods…my most processed food would be balsamic vinegar, coconut milk, and...wine

2. You’re under too much stress.
        Probably
        Unemployment stress…
        Hopefully I’m through with the self doubt following the job loss thing.

3. You need to watch your carb intake.
        Maybe. I’m horrible at counting carbs, fat, protein. Horrible. Maybe I eat too much fruit.

4. You’re adding muscle.
        Oh, I HOPE so

5. You’re not active enough.
        I could probably move more at a slow pace. I'm not getting 3-5 hours / week.

6. You’re lapsing into Chronic Cardio.
        No worries of chronic cardio here

7. You still haven’t tried IF.
        I IF everyday. My eating “window is usually from noon to 7pm. I always exercise before I eat.

8. You’re eating too much.
        Maybe. I don’t weigh/measure/track calories. I HATE doing that!
        BUT I use a 8.5" supper plate instead of the 11" ones. And I only fill it once.

9. You haven’t overcome bad habits or developed good ones.
        I dropped the wine, cheese, chocolate for 30 days. NO great change.
        I could develop better sleep and exercise habits.

10. You haven’t purged and Primalized your pantry.
        My family isn’t primal, but that stuff doesn’t tempt me.

11. You’ve reached a healthy homeostasis.
        Oh, I don’t think so.
        I can’t see how 148 lbs at 5' ½" could be seen as a “healthy homeostasis".
        Although I’m sure my body thinks so. I’ve been here for MONTHS!

12. You’re low on willpower.

I think the last 30 days has “proven” my eating willpower. I’m probably low on workout willpower.
        It’s easy to put it off when I have no energy.
        Where is this “magical” Primal energy?????

13. You’re full of excuses.
        I don’t lie to myself about what I eat, but I’m pretty good at coming up with excuses not to exercise…

14. You haven’t actually gone Primal!

I’m pretty sure I’m primal…not sure what more I could do??
        Although I do tend to focus on the food and not the sleep/play/sun/mind portions of the PB

15. You’re not getting enough sleep.
        This is highly possible.
        I'm probably not getting enough evening sleep, but I tend to sleep in most days.
        Average: 11:30 pm - 9am

16. You haven’t given it enough time.
        How much time???? Is 6 months not enough???

17. You’re eating too much dairy.
        Not this month. No dairy, only a little bit of butter.

Bonus Reason: Sprinting is not part of your fitness routine.
        It hasn't been, BUT I’ve started doing a few sprints in my walking/running days.
        I could probably do more.
        Last edited by winencandy; 02-28-2011, 09:19 PM. Reason: typo
        "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
        "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
        "Moderation sucks." Suse
        "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Hmmm. I've been wondering much of the same myself.

Looking at your food, and this is just a thought, but maybe a bit heavy on the fruit, nuts and other seemingly innocent carb sources? I'm thinking of going for aiming for a trial of ketosis for more than just a few days to see if that might just be the ticket. Seems to work for some, though not all. Although you're not into tracking macros, maybe do a several day trial of logging into fitday or another counter (remembering that there are inaccuracies in most of them) just to get a ballpark of where your fat/protein/carb totals really are. Can't hurt...
          My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I've been MIA for a few days and you've had a jam-packed time. Impossible to comment on everything without taking up a page and a half! So...

Your weekend away sounded marvellous. I lol'd at your packing adventures, I'm the opposite, I'd probably have packed a toothbrush and a pair of undies.

Love the spending spree, retail therapy is the BEST!

There's something not on Mark's '17 reasons' post which I think is very valid for women particularly.. Hormonal imbalance. Given your reported lack of energy and your body's refusal to budge the excess fat (despite doing everything right, don't second guess yourself), have you maybe considered getting your hormone levels checked? Thyroid, adrenals, etc? Just a thought.
            My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
              Hmmm. I've been wondering much of the same myself.

Looking at your food, and this is just a thought, but maybe a bit heavy on the fruit, nuts and other seemingly innocent carb sources? I'm thinking of going for aiming for a trial of ketosis for more than just a few days to see if that might just be the ticket. Seems to work for some, though not all. Although you're not into tracking macros, maybe do a several day trial of logging into fitday or another counter (remembering that there are inaccuracies in most of them) just to get a ballpark of where your fat/protein/carb totals really are. Can't hurt...
              I wonder about the fruit and nuts too.
              I was thinking that the fruit was a better choice than the ice cream the Farmer eats...
              I HAVE been eating nuts fairly steadily.
              Hmmm

I do have keto sticks and when I remember to use them it usually just turns positive.

Sigh, yeah I think I might have to weigh and enter my foods for a few days...yuck
              "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                Your weekend away sounded marvellous. I lol'd at your packing adventures, I'm the opposite, I'd probably have packed a toothbrush and a pair of undies.
                Believe it or not, I AM getting better

Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                Love the spending spree, retail therapy is the BEST!
                Yes it is

Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                There's something not on Mark's '17 reasons' post which I think is very valid for women particularly.. Hormonal imbalance. Given your reported lack of energy and your body's refusal to budge the excess fat (despite doing everything right, don't second guess yourself), have you maybe considered getting your hormone levels checked? Thyroid, adrenals, etc? Just a thought.
                I do tend to second guess myself...

In Sept or Oct (I can't remember which) I did have a ton of blood work done. The Dr thought everything was "Excellent" "Perfect" "Better than mine". He did just do the "regular" Thyroid check. He did say that if I continued to feel the same I could come back and they'd run some more...maybe I should do that...
                "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• My 20% has changed.

In the spring and summer of 2010 it included the occasional grains, some rice, sugar (a LOT of gummy worms and Carmel Carmel Cup ice cream), alcohol “coolers”, and alcoholic blender drinks. Yeah. However, during that time I lost 5 lbs. Cheese, nuts, dark chocolate and wine were "Primal" in my mind

In the fall I dropped the grains, rice, almost all sugar (I had a couple candy “moments”), and the alcohol “coolers”. My 20 % "changed" to include wine, some alcohols, dark chocolate, cheese, and nuts. (Previously these were considered part of my 80%)

Then I dropped cheese, most dairy, and most alcohols. I kept the wine, dark chocolate, nuts and a bit of crème fraiche and I added coconut milk (although I thought of coconut milk as part of my 80%. Is it?)

For February I dropped the all dairy (except a small amount of butter), all alcohol, and the dark chocolate. But I kept nuts and added creamed coconut to my "diet", along with the coconut milk.

For March, my definition of 20% will include some wine (weekends only), cheese as a condiment (not a main protein source), and dark chocolate (limited). I’m keeping the various forms of coconut. But I should try dropping the nuts, or drastically reducing them.

I'm going to try to make my 20% more like 5-10%
                  "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Batty’s comment on another thread got me thinking:

so, we have all programmed our bodies to switch from carbs to fat as fuel by bombarding ourselves with fat. now, our bodies are running happily with fat as fuel, and we are now still bombarding ourselves with its preferred fuel source. with the bombardment of dietary fat, you're not giving your body the ability to tap into its reserves. right?
                    I realized that I’m always thinking “Where’s the fat? I’d better make sure I have some fat in this meal”.
                    Maybe I’m adding too much fat?

I tried the no chocolate, no wine, no dairy to see what happens, nothing dramatic happened.
                    SO I'm gonna use FitDay for a few days and see what my #'s are.

Yuck
                    I HATE measuring and tracking...

I'll see what that tells me...

I’m also going to adopt/adapt bone_machine’s policy (paraphrased for me) “Food that I make (the majority of what I eat) will be close to 100% Primal. Food choices at restaurants/other people's homes are subject to the 80/20 rule.”

AND I'm thinking about the other Primal rules.

And, MOST importantly, I have a 5K race coming up on April 10. That’s just 39 days away!!!!
                    My focus this month HAS to be preparing for that.

I’m calling this month :

Not very original, I know.
                    But I had fun making it
                    Although I discovered that my Photoshop skills are rusty...

March Madness
                    1. Really Push the exercises – Prepare for my 5K on April 10!!!!!
                    2. SLEEP
                    3. Reduce my fat?
                    4. Some kind of creative “mind” play
                    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• WnC, it's good idea to get copies of all test results. In the US we have a legal right to a copy. I have no idea what the rules are in Canada. It wouldn't hurt to call and ask for a copy. If they wont give you a copy ask them to tell you the results as well as what the normal range is for each test. Have pen and paper ready to write things down.

I have a friend that has been eating more primally the last few months. She's frustrated by no weight loss. I had her track her food and send me a copy. Turns out she has been turning to nuts and cheese to "fill" her up because they are quick, easy and tasty.. I ask her to cut down on those 2 things, eat more veggies and meat , stay off the scale and we'd take another look in a few weeks.

I know my issues involve nuts and wine.

Comment

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                        WnC, it's good idea to get copies of all test results. In the US we have a legal right to a copy. I have no idea what the rules are in Canada. It wouldn't hurt to call and ask for a copy. If they wont give you a copy ask them to tell you the results as well as what the normal range is for each test. Have pen and paper ready to write things down.
                        I'll call and ask.

Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                        I have a friend that has been eating more primally the last few months. She's frustrated by no weight loss. I had her track her food and send me a copy. Turns out she has been turning to nuts and cheese to "fill" her up because they are quick, easy and tasty.. I ask her to cut down on those 2 things, eat more veggies and meat , stay off the scale and we'd take another look in a few weeks.

I know my issues involve nuts and wine.
                        Thanks

I think I've been eating too many nuts too. And probably too many coconut hearts. And possibly just too much altogether.
                        I'm gonna try to track it for the next few days.
                        "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• March Madness
                          1. Push the exercises – Prepare for my 5K on April 10!!!!!
                          2. SLEEP
                          3. Reduce my fat?
                          4. Some kind of creative “mind” play

Food
                          L – 5 mushrooms fried in a teaspoon of butter, garlic, 6 oz of coconut milk, ½ cup squash, in a “soup” with some garlic, cinnamon and nutmeg.
                          D – 2 Jerk Chicken Thighs, ½ of my 8.5” plate was filled with roasted sweet potato, cauliflower, carrots and celery (tossed in olive oil with basil). A cereal bowl of BAS: romaine, cucumber, red pepper, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, carrots, bacon, with 2 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar, garlic and macadamia oil. 8 oz Chai (with 1 oz coconut milk) and a coconut heart.

Avoid Poisons & Stupid Mistakes

Avoided

Move Slowly, Lift Heavy, Sprint
                          5 Tibetan Rites: 5 reps

PBF
                          L3 Pushup – 20
                          L4 Squat – 25
                          L2 Plank – 30 sec

Pullup Challenge

Static Hold/Reverse Chin Up: - 3 - Hold for 4 seconds, then 4 second controlled drop

Sleep, Sun, Play, and Use Your Brain
                          Bed at midnight. Up at 8:30 to drive my daughter to school.
                          Surfed MDA and played with Photoshop.
                          Some PBF (not as much as I’d wanted. No energy)

Wasted the rest of the afternoon away, until 3.

Drove my daughter to Physio and Music lessons. I’d brought 2 hard boiled eggs, in case I “needed” a snack. I didn’t “need” them. Although I wonder…If I’d have brought macadamia nuts, instead of eggs I had to peel, would I have “needed” the nuts?????

~~~~~~~~~~

So here is my FitDay stuff. Well, most of it.
                          HOW do you enter the roasted veggies or the BAS in FitDay?????
                          That’s the part I HATE!
                          That, and measuring my food at suppertime when my family is there. I just don’t do it then.

Anyway, here is my day minus the roasted veggies and the BAS. I added the Balsamic and Macadamia oil. Well I had to type in Almond Oil, 'cause FitDay doesn’t know what Macadamia Oil is. Yet another reason to hate this process…

Total calories: 1,162
                          Fat: 99.8 g, 853 C, 74%
                          Carbs: 41.3 g, 161 C, 14%
                          Protein: 36.6 g, 145 C, 12%

It looks VERY high fat, and low calorie, but remember, the salad and roasted veggies are not listed.
                          Anyone know how, or want to figure that out for me???

*Also, I had NO nuts I was conscious of reducing my fats today.
                          So I probably usually have way more fat than this...
                          "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• oh gawd, I couldnt be bothered tracking my food either. but I suppose if it helps you for a bit it could be worthwhile.

I totally think the running is going to help you lose weight and fat. But running, blah, its a drag so I feel for you.

If its any consolation, I dont think you look fat in your photos... you look lovely, just a bit rounded I've just said it in Greensprouts journal, we are obsessed with fat though arent we. It is still a complete mystery to me why you havent shed the pounds though.

I like your march madness goals. I think you need to make your SLEEP goal to be more sleep in the natural darkness hours, ie go to bed a bit earlier and get up earlier when there is natural light. Dont know if it makes any difference really, but I've always heard the term that the hours of sleep you get before midnight are the most beneficial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Suse View Post
                              oh gawd, I couldnt be bothered tracking my food either. but I suppose if it helps you for a bit it could be worthwhile.
                              Did I mention how much I HATE it???
                              It better help!!!

Originally posted by Suse View Post
                              I totally think the running is going to help you lose weight and fat. But running, blah, its a drag so I feel for you.
                              Oh, I hope so!
                              And thanks

If its any consolation, I dont think you look fat in your photos... you look lovely, just a bit rounded I've just said it in Greensprouts journal, we are obsessed with fat though arent we. It is still a complete mystery to me why you havent shed the pounds though.
                              Thank you
                              Yeah, I'm a bit "round" or too short for my weight...
                              Maybe tracking for a few days will help solve the mystery.
                              Or I'll need to go for more blood work...

I like your march madness goals. I think you need to make your SLEEP goal to be more sleep in the natural darkness hours, ie go to bed a bit earlier and get up earlier when there is natural light. Dont know if it makes any difference really, but I've always heard the term that the hours of sleep you get before midnight are the most beneficial!
                              Yeah. I'm gonna aim to shift my sleep pattern earlier. Although the last time I tried that (in the fall) I'd just lay awake in bed...
                              "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• For curiosity's sake, I entered yesterday's food amounts into FitDay.
                                Again, except for the salad. Not sure how to do that.
                                I included the Avocado, a slice of bacon and the dressing.

Here it is:
                                Total Calories: 1832
                                Fat: 162.4g, 1373 C, 75%
                                Carbs: 73g, 279 C, 15%
                                Protein: 46.4g, 184 C, 10%

AGGHH!!! WAY TOO many calories

Although FitDay says that creamed coconut has 194 C, 19.6 g Fat, 6.1g Carbs, 1.5 g Protein per oz

Does that seem right to you?

I guessed that one of my hearts was 1 oz, but I really have no idea.

Wait a minute...(winencandy gets a package of creamed coconut)
                                170 g in a package of creamed coconut,
                                I made 16 coconut hearts from one package.
                                That's 10.6 g per heart.

Recalculating on FitDay...(cue Jeopardy music)

73 C, 7.3 g Fat, 2.3 g Carbs, 0.6 g Protein / 10.6g heart.

That's better
                                For a minute I thought I'd have to give up my hearts

So, that changes my #'s

Total Calories: 1373
                                Fat: 115.4 g, 981 C, 71%
                                Carbs: 57.8g, 217 C, 16%
                                Protein: 44.5g, 179 C, 13%

Still high Fat, low protein...

Obviously I have no concept of how much an oz is
                                Last edited by winencandy; 03-01-2011, 07:56 PM. Reason: forgot the bacon :)
                                "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

Working...
                                X