X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by winencandy View Post
    Practice? I should try that...It would probably improve my playing
    To quote Weird Al, "Oh well, I guess it pays to rehearse."

Your stir fry sounds good. Do you use any kind of sauce with that? I tend to declare condiments and even sauces to be OK even if they're non-paleo, though I'd prefer to avoid soy and definitely prefer to avoid sugar/wheaty sauces.

I'm cheering your toenail on!
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenny View Post
      Your stir fry sounds good. Do you use any kind of sauce with that? I tend to declare condiments and even sauces to be OK even if they're non-paleo, though I'd prefer to avoid soy and definitely prefer to avoid sugar/wheaty sauces.
      Just a little olive oil, some Green Curry Powder, a little Chinese Five Spice, rice wine vinegar and Tamari sauce.

Originally posted by Jenny View Post
      I'm cheering your toenail on!
      Thanks, it needs all the help it can get!
      "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
      "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
      "Moderation sucks." Suse
      "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
      "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Lily the Hunter

It all started with a text from University Son: “Hey mom can you get anything bad from being bitten by a mole the cat dragged in?”

(He’s OK, a tiny puncture on his finger, it bled, he washed it and he’s taking Ledum)

The cat was playing with the mole, my son tried to take it away. It bit him and ran under the door to the little closet under the stairs.

A few hours later, Lily showed a TON of interest in the bottom of the closet door. So I asked her if she wanted to “Go Hunting”. I opened the door and she tried to climb in over the stuff. I “helped” her by removing several big items; she moved a few smaller ones herself. She spent about two hours sniffing and exploring the closet. The cat joined her for a while, Josie looked in a couple of times, but she’s not a hunter so she left.

I just left her alone, occasionally asking her how the “hunt” was coming along

She finally decided to come out. I told her what a Great Job she did hunting for the mole and gave her a treat.

Of course, now she thinks the mole is near a small hole in the floor in the corner. (the hole is from one of those old water baseboard heaters) She keeps going over and checking it out
        "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
        "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
        "Moderation sucks." Suse
        "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Tuesday
          Food

2 chicken breasts
          the other ½ of the Lindt 70%
          Mall Chinese food: Spicy Beef and a grilled chicken something…
          A bag of Real Fruit Gummies

Avoid Poisons & Stupid Mistakes
          No wine.
          Ummm the Chinese wasn’t the best choice, and the Gummies were a late at night, shopping in Walmart just before Christmas weakness…

Move Slowly, Lift Heavy, Sprint

Shopping?

Sleep, Sun, Play, and Use Your Brain

11:00 – 6:15am

I had a supply job. After work, I picked up my Daughter and we drove into London. We got most of the Christmas shopping finished! I just have a few stocking stuffers left. My Daughter got Chinese, and I knew if she got it, I’d want it too. I felt tired and blah later…I’ll try to remember that feeling and not order it again…

I wrapped a bit when I got home.
          "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Wednesday
            Food

Protein Shake (with whipping cream)
            Creamed coconut/coconut oil/chocolate stuff
            Pork Sausage, baked beans, hash browns, mixed veggies
            (not very Primal, but it was made for me…)
            Chai with whipping cream

No wine.
            Yesterday’s lunch had no fat, and I was hungry in the mall. Today I made sure I had some fat. It was MUCH better.
            Yesterday “lunch” was at 11am, today it was at 2.

Nope
            I don't think I'll be able to do a full Chin Up by New Years Day. I KNOW I won't be able to do a Pull Up

11:15 – 8:15am

I had a supply job again today, but it didn’t start till 10:20 I’d just finished when I got the text from University Son. So I went home and checked it out. Then I went to my Home Instruction Student’s for 2 hours of math…Compound Interest…

After supper I made some shortbread cookies, some caramels (YUM) and then wrapped gifts.

I teach again tomorrow, so I think I’ll try to go to bed BEFORE 11…

Yeah, I know…

Stop laughing

eta: I ate a shortbread cookie and I "sampled" the caramels (several times) while I was cooking them.
            (note: it is 11:35pm and I'm still up...)
            Last edited by winencandy; 12-21-2011, 09:34 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
            "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Pull up -- I'm going to start a 2012 Pull-Up Challenge Thread, you can always join that. I am totally missing the 2011 deadline, so here's for 2012!

Hope you eventually got some sleep! Compound interest would have had my brain spinning for hours even without the sugar!
              "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenny View Post
                Pull up -- I'm going to start a 2012 Pull-Up Challenge Thread, you can always join that. I am totally missing the 2011 deadline, so here's for 2012!

Hope you eventually got some sleep! Compound interest would have had my brain spinning for hours even without the sugar!
                Pull-Up 2012 it is!
                I got to bed at midnight...

I am NOT a math person...I have to learn it just before I teach it
                "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• I was just reading this article and this line jumped out at me:

Whether we are talking about plants or meat, eating cooked food provides more calories than eating the same food raw. And that means that the calorie counts we’ve grown so used to consulting are routinely wrong.
                  Hmmmmm
                  "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Interesting about the raw vs cooked food. I guess cooking kinda begins the digestive process what with cell wall break down and the like huh?

Maybe I should read the article....
                    My Journal

Comment

• Right, the idea is that digestion takes a certain amount of energy, so the easier the food is to digest, the fewer calories you spend on the digestion part. Also, cooking can free up some calories that we might not have been able to digest at all if it weren't cooked... starches for example. (but the latter set of calories should be accounted for in the calorie total already because of the way they do the calorie analysis...)

But there's yet another factor at play here. Cooked foods tend to be smaller so a cup of cooked carrots would also naturally have more calories than a cup of raw carrots, IF weighed after cooking. As in (using baby carrots as an example) let's say the cooked carrots, you could fit 40 in the cup, wheras raw you could fit maybe 30.

So that also means that to the degree that your hunger is sated by volume, you'd be likely to eat more of the cooked foods. Combine that with the idea that the cooked foods take less chewing than raw foods, and the overall perception of how much you've eaten is skewed.

Cooking also tends to up the glycemic index, for similar reasons -- easier to digest means it gets into your bloodstream that much faster.

Personally I have no issue with cooking some of my foods if they taste better cooked. I have a hard enough time eating meat as it is... I really _have_ to have my soup full of equally-cooked vegetables. But of course I also try to make sure to have a BAS every day to go with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                        Interesting about the raw vs cooked food. I guess cooking kinda begins the digestive process what with cell wall break down and the like huh?

Maybe I should read the article....
                        Did you read it?
                        It was interesting.

Originally posted by Jenny View Post
                        Right, the idea is that digestion takes a certain amount of energy, so the easier the food is to digest, the fewer calories you spend on the digestion part. Also, cooking can free up some calories that we might not have been able to digest at all if it weren't cooked... starches for example. (but the latter set of calories should be accounted for in the calorie total already because of the way they do the calorie analysis...)

But there's yet another factor at play here. Cooked foods tend to be smaller so a cup of cooked carrots would also naturally have more calories than a cup of raw carrots, IF weighed after cooking. As in (using baby carrots as an example) let's say the cooked carrots, you could fit 40 in the cup, wheras raw you could fit maybe 30.

So that also means that to the degree that your hunger is sated by volume, you'd be likely to eat more of the cooked foods. Combine that with the idea that the cooked foods take less chewing than raw foods, and the overall perception of how much you've eaten is skewed.

Cooking also tends to up the glycemic index, for similar reasons -- easier to digest means it gets into your bloodstream that much faster.

Personally I have no issue with cooking some of my foods if they taste better cooked. I have a hard enough time eating meat as it is... I really _have_ to have my soup full of equally-cooked vegetables. But of course I also try to make sure to have a BAS every day to go with it.
                        You make some very good points Jenny, I hadn't thought of some of them
                        "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Thursday
                          Food

Protein shake, Raspberries, Spaghetti meat sauce, a Turtle
                          Frozen Raspberries with whipping cream (1/2 cup of berries, just enough cream to coat and freeze over the berries
                          Red wine

the Turtle

no

12:00 – 6:15am

Supply teaching. Shopping. Wrapping. Wine while wrapping. Cleaning.
                          "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Friday
                            Food

Protein shake, Red Wine, Shepherd’s Pie, Apple Upside Down Cake with Caramel Sauce, Red Wine

the cake, it was good, but surprisingly, not as good as I’d “remembered” it…

no

10:30 – 8:15am

Cleaning. Installing and Updating Snow Leopard, Microsoft Office 11 for Mac, and Photoshop Elements 9. Backing up with Time Machine. Wrapping. Wine while wrapping. Baking Apple Upside Down Cake with Caramel Sauce. Cleaning. More Wrapping. More Wine.

Eldest Son came home tonight
                            I have a full house again

Toe Nail Update: The nail is white. It doesn't lay tight against my toe. There's a gap... There is still a small red spot beside the nail. if I bang it, it hurts like hell. The nail is a little "loose". My Farmer thinks I'll lose it yet...
                            "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• I'm having 17 people here tomorrow...
                              Full Turkey dinner...
                              Another Turkey Dinner on Sunday.

I may not be back online until Boxing Day, so...

Merry Christmas!!!!
                              "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Comment

• Originally posted by winencandy View Post
                                Did you read it?
                                It was interesting.
                                I did and it was, thanks.

Originally posted by winencandy View Post
                                Merry Christmas!!!!
                                Right back atcha sista!
                                My Journal

Comment

Working...