Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horsewoman stays the distance with primal!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm switching from honey to pure liquid glucose today. Still don't know how honey could cause the issue, although someone on Kick AS did tell me it contains FOS. Crossing my fingers this works.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Comment

• I seem to have my period, and I haven't slipped. Yes really! I don't think I ovulated this month, so maybe it wasn't a normal cycle, but still, wow! First time since going low carb, except the month I white-knuckled through a whole30.

I've decided to add some of the other foods back in. If it's going to take a long time working out what to do with sugar and minimising starch, I think I'm better off just focussing on that. I'm getting fed up of meat and veg, and don't want to increase the risk of falling off altogether. Plus I am craving eggs which I know means there's some egg nutrition I'm missing.

So- eggs, skinless almonds (the least starchy nut) and butter are back in. Other dairy is staying out to minimise lactose and casein.

I had some mild cravings yesterday, 3 days after having wine, the same as last week. Darn!
      Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
      Harold Whitman

Comment

• So check this out:
        Research | Honey and Prebiotics | Honey.com - The National Honey Board
        Effect of honey on the growth of and acid producti... [J Food Prot. 2002] - PubMed result
        Milk and Honey Recipe for Good Health

Honey contains oligosaccharides that act as prebiotics. Damn! No wonder it's messed with my gut and made my joint pain worse. Feeling really annoyed right now, I did that 3 days of intro and worked so hard with my food, and all the time I was dosing myself with something comparable to FOS and inulin 3 times a day! Duh! It's annoying because I spent a lot of time googling about the constituents of honey to check it was pretty much all monosaccharides. I found mention of it having a very small amount of sucrose but no mention of oligosaccharides. Lesson learned- if I am checking something like that I will google terms like "honey oligosaccharides" and not just "constituents honey" and "honey sugars".

The gut mucus flare up has settled as soon as I switched from honey to pure glucose, which would fit with this theory. Fingers crossed that joint improvement follows.

I am definately feeling better, getting extra stuff done round the house and not struggling as much. Still a long way from where I want to be, but big progress from a couple of months ago. Minimal cravings, which is bliss!
        Last edited by Horsewoman; 08-22-2011, 10:11 AM.

Harold Whitman

Comment

• Hi horsewoman! i have a similar bad reaction to honey, so i read up on it once, and what i came up with was that the problem is that its mostly fructose, and your intestines can only absorb a little bit at a time. so if you eat more than a little bit...the rest will be digested/fermented by your intestinal bacteria, causes major gas, etc!
          I am new to MDA, but i see you also have joint pain issues (me too, although primal does seem to be helping so far, after about 2 weeks now)... I will read up more on your back story to see how you have been dealing with that. i started to read a bit, just to get so far as to learn you play the djmebe? me too bwahahaha!

Comment

• Originally posted by Borg View Post
            Hi horsewoman! i have a similar bad reaction to honey, so i read up on it once, and what i came up with was that the problem is that its mostly fructose, and your intestines can only absorb a little bit at a time. so if you eat more than a little bit...the rest will be digested/fermented by your intestinal bacteria, causes major gas, etc!
            I am new to MDA, but i see you also have joint pain issues (me too, although primal does seem to be helping so far, after about 2 weeks now)... I will read up more on your back story to see how you have been dealing with that. i started to read a bit, just to get so far as to learn you play the djmebe? me too bwahahaha!
            Only just saw this, sorry. Am doing minimal starch for the joint pain, re the link in my siggy . I seem to do better on sucrose than glucose, which is bizarre since monosaccharides are supposed to be best.

Have to admit, haven't touched the djembe for a fair while.

Harold Whitman

Comment

• Feeling sad, scared and quite hopeless right now. Being told you are seriously ill and that the only solution is something you are unable to access due to finances is a pretty depressing thing .

Must keep on keeping on. Remember how far I've come in the 3 yrs since I went off gluten, how sick I was before that, how much I learned and achieved. Got to keep hoping that I will reap a harvest eventually.

Harold Whitman

Comment

• Sorry to hear about a bad diagnosis - like you say, the doctors don't always know what you can figure out on your own. Have you checked out Ray Peat's stuff? I am reading it recently. He advocates paleo, but low starch and higher sugar - basically meat milk and fruit, for the most part - when I read it I thought about you needing some sugar in your diet.
                Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

• Originally posted by JKC View Post
                  Sorry to hear about a bad diagnosis - like you say, the doctors don't always know what you can figure out on your own. Have you checked out Ray Peat's stuff? I am reading it recently. He advocates paleo, but low starch and higher sugar - basically meat milk and fruit, for the most part - when I read it I thought about you needing some sugar in your diet.
                  Thanks, I have looked at his stuff and found it interesting. I am fascinated by how starch makes me sick and causes crazy blood sugar issues, yet sucrose doesn't have the same effect. I am wondering if eating more fruit would work, although have read that fruit doesn't work as fructose doesn't give an insulin rise so doesn't get tryptophan into the brain like glucose does. But could be worth a try.

I've been reading a book about a guy who went to stay with each of 15 different tribes in various parts of the world. Some of them farm, but it is interesting how all of them except the Nenets who live on reindeer meat, eat large amounts of starch. That includes the hunter-gathers. They seem to have next to no interest in leafy veg, eating mainly starches and tubers, meat/ fish and whatever fruit is available whether it's berries or bananas and coconut. Plus tonnes of dairy for those who keep cattle, or yaks lol, oh and don't forget the blood. It's interesting.

Harold Whitman

Comment

• Sounds interesting. If I was a hunter gatherer I can't see gathering leaves unless there was nothing else to choose from - it would probably take more calories to gather them than they give to eat them. I am doing some of Peat's recommendations and I feel better on the higher fruit - fruit has some sucrose - it isn't only fructose - so you could probably still get the sucrose bump you are looking for. I still have to watch my tummy with too high fruit - it tends to send me running to the bathroom, but with the exception of that, I am liking being on higher fruit - it feels right and has revved my metabolism up a notch.
                    Karin

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Comment

Sounds interesting. If I was a hunter gatherer I can't see gathering leaves unless there was nothing else to choose from - it would probably take more calories to gather them than they give to eat them. I am doing some of Peat's recommendations and I feel better on the higher fruit - fruit has some sucrose - it isn't only fructose - so you could probably still get the sucrose bump you are looking for. I still have to watch my tummy with too high fruit - it tends to send me running to the bathroom, but with the exception of that, I am liking being on higher fruit - it feels right and has revved my metabolism up a notch.
                      Thanks, I think I'm going to give it a go. Do you know of any good resources on Peat's stuff? His website makes my head spin! I'm not really bothered about getting a lot of in depth info any more, have been convinced that way so many times, then tried things myself and found they don't work for me.

Harold Whitman

Comment

• Originally posted by Horsewoman View Post
                        I've been reading a book about a guy who went to stay with each of 15 different tribes in various parts of the world.
                        I hope your diet changes continue to help. Sorry I can't offer anything to help but what was the name of the book you were reading? its sounds really interesting (sort of Weston Price-ish!)

Comment

• I have found these links that state things a little clearer. BTW, having a biochemist say that his writing makes your head spin makes me feel a lot better since I have a lot of trouble following some of it too!

Yahoo! Groups
                          Dr. Ray Peat Glycemia Starch and SUGAR in context 04/27 by Josh Jeanne Rubin | Blog Talk Radio
                          Ray Peat Eating Guidelines : Semi Low-Carb Plans Forum : Active Low-Carber Forums

The radio show is interesting and informative - hope these help
                          Karin

Comment

I have found these links that state things a little clearer. BTW, having a biochemist say that his writing makes your head spin makes me feel a lot better since I have a lot of trouble following some of it too!

Yahoo! Groups
                            Dr. Ray Peat Glycemia Starch and SUGAR in context 04/27 by Josh Jeanne Rubin | Blog Talk Radio
                            Ray Peat Eating Guidelines : Semi Low-Carb Plans Forum : Active Low-Carber Forums

The radio show is interesting and informative - hope these help
                            Thanks, and LOL... my brain is not what it used to be pre- four kids and health problems, I have to admit!

AS is flaring today, and I'm on my own with the kids. have had a cry, now time to get some laundry done .

Harold Whitman

Comment

• Originally posted by kiwigirl42 View Post
                              I hope your diet changes continue to help. Sorry I can't offer anything to help but what was the name of the book you were reading? its sounds really interesting (sort of Weston Price-ish!)
                              Tribe by Bruce Parry. It's from TV series of the same name.

Harold Whitman

Comment

• hope your day improves. thanks for book details. I've just read a good book by a linguist living with a south american tribe called 'don't sleep there are snakes' which was really interesting both about linguistics and their tribal beliefs

Comment

Working...
                                X