Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horsewoman stays the distance with primal!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the days of binges and feeling like nothing matters more than my next spoonful of ice cream seem so far away and unlikely when I am feeling steady.
    yep yep yep, absolutely
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Cinema trip was a disaster, couldn't park due to there being a funfair in the car park, finally got in late to find huge queues as it was "Orange Wednesday", decided to forgo my free voucher and pay on the self service machine, there were only two seats left in the whole cinema, right at the side at the back... thought sod it and drove home. Nearly two hours driving and a ton of stress, I decided to use my precious energy as I needed some time out, and now I am tried out and all I got was that!

Ah well, we can have a lazy day and hopefully later I can summon the energy for the bodyweight exercises.

Breakfast- 3 thick cut bacon and 3 eggs in lard, salad.

Lunch- chicken thigh and 2 legs, kale and broc with ghee. Tried cutting protein a bit, bu it's not 3.30pm and I am hungry.

I am feeling very discouraged. I am going gradually downhill, I can't remember my mood and energy level being this bad any time when I've not been eating sugar. Maybe Dr Desmaisons is right and my serotonin level is dropping due to not eating carbs. I don't know. My body can't tolerate them anyway. Just fed up. Not losing weight (I know I lost a tiny bit but I can't see I'm going to make an significant inroads into the 100lbs I have to lose if that's the best I can do when starting out). Feel worse than I did before. It may be PMS as it is due in about 4 days but the thing is I don't normally get PMS, so if it is that it means paleo is making me feel worse, not better. Still having to eat huge amounts. Still have reflux. Etc. Last resort seems to be failing .

Tea- beef chilli with avocado and lime salad.

Hands very achy now, not sure what's triggered that unless it's the CO I took yesterday and the day before.

Did the bodyweight exercises (still waiting for the pull up bar to arrive). Was going to leave them for tomorrow as I'm feeling so grotty but thought heck if I'm going to be miserable anyway I might as well be miserable working out rather than miserable lazing around... I cried when it got uncomfortable lol, yes I am in full on wimp mode at the moment!
      Last edited by Horsewoman; 02-24-2011, 12:32 PM.
      Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
      Harold Whitman

Comment

• Couldn't sleep last night, restless legs. No idea why unless the CO is still in my system. Feeling very irritable and weight back up, let's hope it's just PMS (though I didn't used to get PMS so I'm still concerned).

Chilli and salad for breakfast

Did some more research last night into autoimmune issues and gut healing. Have ordered some digestive enzymes and L-glutamine as well as the Se and K2 I was already planning to add. Going to see how that goes and then consider a course of natural antifungals in case I have candida issues. But they are very expensive even on Ebay! I have 2 big jars of CO but don't seem to be able to tolerate that. Going to write about my supplements later.

Starting to come to terms with the fact that this'll be a long haul. I was hoping being low carb would bring at least some weightloss but it seems I need more healing first. So I'll try not to worry about it for now and focus on feeding myself good food, getting fitter, adding in whatever I consider is appropriate in the way of supplements/ remedies to heal my gut and calm my system. And then we'll see.

Had a nice walk on the moors with the kids. Joined them scrambling amongst the rocks.

Lunch- last bit of the chilli with broccoli and 3 eggs scrambled with lots of ghee.

Tea- seafood in a tomato, EVOO, chilli, garlic and olive sauce, with salad with ACV and avocado oil dressing

Had a decaf black coffee after. Have noticed wheeziness on the nights I've had coffee after tea, so tested again tonight. Wheezy straight after drinking it. And I just bought a bag of my favourite from M&S as well. Whatever next!

Have felt pretty good today, less irritable and got quite a lot done. Fingers crossed I sleep better tonight.
        Last edited by Horsewoman; 02-25-2011, 02:15 PM.
        Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
        Harold Whitman

Comment

• Supplements I am currently taking:

These I have been taking for years from the RR protocol:
          Fish oil 1800mg DHA/EPA
          vit C 1000mg
          Zn 15mg
          B-25

A while before coming to primal I put myself on a recovery protocol with vitamins I was likely to be depleted in due to malabsorption, plus support for my adrenals. I discontinued the vit E, A and Fe after 6 months but continue with:
          Mg 500mg (this is oxide I am using up, then I will get citrate)
          vit D, now raised to 5000IU
          Probiotic, 2 capsules

I am now adding:
          Se 200ug
          vit K2 100ug
          Considering iodine but cautious due to thyroid worries
          L-glutamine for gut healing (not sure of dosage yet), I may add cinnamon to this for insulin sensitivity
          Digestive enzymes

I also eat water kefir grains daily (the kids get the kefir liquid as a healthy alternative to soft drinks).

I am considering adding in some antifungals in case I have candida issues. CO seems to bother me though and the ones I've looked at (oil of oregano and olive leaf extract) are very expensive. I am thinking maybe ACV daily might be a useful addition, and daily garlic. I'm also working on upping our consumption of bone broths, organ meats and ferments.

I'm also going to experiment with cutting out nuts (I don't like them anyway except huge piles of salted macadamias and pistachios, or almond meal cooked with butter). Chocolate/ cocoa and even decaf coffee seem to bother me. And alcohol. And fruit. And all dairy except ghee. Next thing then is possibly cutting out nightshades for 20 days, and maybe trying the same with eggs.

And there you have it. Comments or suggestions welcome

Harold Whitman

Comment

• Going to try to make my journal more orderly by keeping food together and so on. Slept reasonably well once my mind had stopped buzzing with thoughts relating the gut, brain, obesity thread. I'm excited about my new plan (digestive enzymes, L-glutamine, ACV), which is great as hopefully that'll carry me through to the end of my whole30. I was feeling really discouraged until I came up with those ideas, and finding it harder to stick to it. Though the issue now is that I know I need to do a very strictly restricted diet on an ongoing basis .

Going to go for a walk tomorrow so will make today my rest day. Which means minimising walking to give my sore ankle a break. Maybe I will finally get down to getting the oil pastels out and doing some art with my daughter.

Breakfast 3 eggs and 6 rashers of thin streaky bacon, fried in lard, with 2 smallish raw carrots

Lunch tuna salad with avocado and avocado oil and ACV dressing.

Tea- steak fried in dripping with balsamic vinegar, courgette and carrot with ghee

Ate some ground almonds whith ghee and lemon zest this eve, which I didn't need and yes I am supposed to be off nuts. But I don't think the PMSsy last few days of my whole30 are the time to go off another food, so I am putting that on hold for a few days. Will be 14 dpo tomorrow so the end is in sight.

The digestive enzymes and Se arrived so they're added in as of today as is a tsp of ACV before each meal. The ACV seemed to give me heartburn this afternoon, I noticed the enzymes have HCl so I think maybe I don't need to ACV as well. Then went and had a ton of balsamic on my steak so now I'd better find the Gaviscon lol.

Actually I did walk today, decided to park the car by the river and walk along to the shop instead of just driving there.

Watched the most fabulous programme this eve, on ancient Britain. Passage tombs and stone cicrlces= heaven as far as I am concerned
            Last edited by Horsewoman; 02-26-2011, 02:35 PM.

Harold Whitman

Comment

• Your plan sounds like a good experiment for you.

The restricted diet sounds tricky. Maybe if you can view it more as an experiment plus list every single item you *can* eat, it might make it feel more doable.

Both DH and I have found it easier mentally if we think "What can we eat" rather than thinking what we can't eat. I also rephrase it in my head as a choice. I am choosing to eat foods that are great for me and choosing not to eat foods I know are not good for my body. I am not restricting things as much as you are needing to though so my ideas may be redundant.

Either way, I am here to support you
              Bee
              Newly primal mama. Taking my family along on the walk to a healthy, strong and happy primal life.
              Losing fat, building strength, having fun.
              My journal is here (please ignore my excessive use of exclamation points and smilies, I just can't help myself! )

Comment

• Originally posted by mummybeelee View Post
                Your plan sounds like a good experiment for you.

The restricted diet sounds tricky. Maybe if you can view it more as an experiment plus list every single item you *can* eat, it might make it feel more doable.

Both DH and I have found it easier mentally if we think "What can we eat" rather than thinking what we can't eat. I also rephrase it in my head as a choice. I am choosing to eat foods that are great for me and choosing not to eat foods I know are not good for my body. I am not restricting things as much as you are needing to though so my ideas may be redundant.

Either way, I am here to support you
                Thanks Bee. I don't really mind, as long as I have something to try that I am hopeful will help me feel better, I am happy. It's when i think I've used up my last, last resort and am still ill that I get fed up.

Harold Whitman

Comment

• This is for me, as a reminder of why I am here. It's not to get thin. It's so I can be full of beautiful and vivacious health, and live life to the full, like this wonderful woman:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyQ_I...eature=related

Harold Whitman

Comment

• <sigh> Having an "I wish I could be normal" moment. I know it's not really like that, but I do wish I could just eat and then get on with my life. I am tired of all this micromanaging and researching and hard work. Mind you, half the time I enjoy it, this stuff could be a hobby for me if it wasn't a serious thing. And I knew I did that biochem degree for some reason lol. But sometimes, I wish I could just sit down with dh with some Haagen Dazs or a glass of wine and relax.

Harold Whitman

Comment

• Ah I k ow just what you mean. Sigh I really do tire of having to be an expert on my own biochem. Your meals yesterday sounded delicious.

When you get glutened, how long does it take for your joint pain to start up? How long before it goes away?

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                        Ah I k ow just what you mean. Sigh I really do tire of having to be an expert on my own biochem. Your meals yesterday sounded delicious.

When you get glutened, how long does it take for your joint pain to start up? How long before it goes away?
                        3-4 days is when it starts, how long it takes to go away depends on how bad it is, couple of days or a few. Usually now I only get a bit of soreness and not the bone-deep aching that I used to live with 24/7 (fun, fun, fun with a high needs baby to care for!!)

Harold Whitman

Comment

• Wow. I'm going to have to pick your brain more on this when I get my keyboard back. DD has agkle pain and I have leg pain today after having a wee bit of wheat six days ago. Still inconclusive, but it's on my radar.!

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                            Wow. I'm going to have to pick your brain more on this when I get my keyboard back. DD has agkle pain and I have leg pain today after having a wee bit of wheat six days ago. Still inconclusive, but it's on my radar.!
                            Hmm definately one for the radar.

I've been obsessing so much about what to try next, gut healing protocols, candida and so on, I've forgotten how to think about anything else. LOL ah wel I know I have an obsessive personality and like to get deep into things, might as well just run with it. Back into the school and work routine on Monday anyway.

Harold Whitman

Comment

• Feeling really tired and down, was awake half the night worrying about my thyroid. I had my TSH tested 3 and a bit years ago (it was 1.99) and as far as the doctors are concerned that excludes it as a cause of my fatigue, weight problem and so on.

Took kelp tablets for a few days last week and the feeling of pressure in my neck and issues swallowing my tablets came back (had that before I went of gluten too).

Really need a thyroid panel but don't know how to get one. I can't go to the doctors and explain because a few months ago I went in a requested a parathyroid check as a reflexologist told me it was dodgy. That came back clear. They're already thinking my issue is depression and going in with another worry about something I might have isn't going to help. Besides, NHS labs won't even do more extensive thyroid testing a lot of the time unless there is a real reason for it, even if the GP requests it.

Is there any way I can get it done privately in the UK without seeing a doctor? We called the private hospital and it's 300 just for the initial appointment, then more for the test and then another appointment to discuss the result. I don't need to see a doctor, I just want to have the test, look at the results myself, and then go to my GP if it looks dodgy.

Ah ok, this is how I will do it: http://www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/page...privtests.html. I can get antibodies tested too and it's be 100-150. I think I will go to the GP and report the throat issues and see what happens (maybe I have a detectable goitre), if that's not fruitful I can do private testing. Good.

Harold Whitman

Comment

• Breakfast 4 grain free sausages, green beans with ghee

Lunch- parsnip and leek soup with ghee and chicken stock, baked salmon with lime juice

snack- 150g macadamias with seasalt (wasn't hungry but was feeling very grim and cravy so am not going to feel bad about this cos it saw me through)

snack- 2 grain free sausages
                                Last edited by Horsewoman; 02-28-2011, 06:28 AM.

Harold Whitman

Comment

Working...
                                X