No announcement yet.

Primal Journal - Owly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoa. I skim one page and wind up reading about duck breasts and bison steaks. I am seriously missing out of the meat options out there. Where on earth do you get that stuff?

Comment

Good tip for the VFFs at the airport. I flew to Montreal for the long weekend, and debated about wearing them for the flight, but wasn't "brave" enough. I was in very comfortable Clarks, but my KSOs would have felt nicer. Next time maybe?

India, eh? Nice. I'm jealous.
      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

rki, I buy about 80-90% of my weekly groceries at my local farmers market. My bison and elk come from local ranchers. The duck is from a farm called Greens, Eggs and Ham that practices permaculture with both vegetable production and poultry (duck, turkey, guinea fowl, Cornish hens).

Just4ME, I will definitely post more pictures! I am getting a new camera as a gift from my father for my trip, so I'll be playing with it lots over the next few weeks before I leave. I've been taking photos of my food for quite a while, even before I went primal, and I love to share them and see other people's photos so I can get ideas for new dishes. And, of course, I will take many pics on my trip.

Greensprout, the VFFs were great. The only thing I found was that my feet got a bit cold. I am considering getting some Flows for winter.

I'm leaving for India in just over three weeks. I'll be there for five weeks doing research and travelling, which will be the longest I've ever been out of the country at one stretch. It's definitely going to be an adventure!
        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Yesterday's culinary adventures!

Bison with blueberries and chantrelles. I seared the bison steaks in the pan with some fresh-cracked pepper and a bit of coarse salt, then put them in the oven. Next, into the same pan, I added some butter and sauteed the chantrelles, then set them aside. I deglazed the pan with some merlot and then tossed in about a cup of blueberries that I froze a couple of months ago when I got a killer deal on them at the market. I cooked the blueberries in the red wine until they were tender and released some of their juice. Took the steaks out of the oven, poured the blueberries and sauce over top, and topped the whole thing with the mushrooms. My sweetie kept stopping between bites to kiss me and say thank you for the amazing meal, so I think it was a win

For dessert, I decided to experiment with making a primal crumble. Strawberries and rhubarb for the fruit, with a bit of tapioca starch to thicken it (a couple of tablespoons). Topped with unsweetened coconut, chopped pecans, and coconut oil. And, of course, I ate it with whipped heaven.

“If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

well deserved kisses, that looks amazing!
            sigpic

Comment

Wow! Looks delicious!!! Happy Tuesday!
              sigpic

Signature Approved by Mark Sisson

Comment

A friend of mine made me those for Christmas a couple of years ago--one is pink with a black skull, the other is black with a pink skull. I adore them.

Owly's Journal

Comment

ooo pink and black and skulls... OWLY YOURE AMAZING!

And your food is awesome
                  and hi!
                  Live Like No One Else

http://primalterp.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hello everyone! No beautiful food photos from yesterday (dinner with a good friend and some definitely 20% pho) or today (too tired to do anything fancy, dinner was some pastured pork patties, mixed veggies with butter, thyme, and coriander, and about four bites of sweet potato because I decided I was full and put the rest in the fridge).

Some happy primal-ness today!

First off, the WOD at my CrossFit gym was three rounds of 400m run, 20 pullups, and 20 dumbbell swings. I am pleased to say that I managed to run all 1200m, which sounds like not much except that I haven't run anywhere near that far since the horrible leg injury last year. So funny, 1200m used to be barely a warm-up and now I'm thrilled by it, but it really is an indicator that things are healing and the strength work has done tons to stabilize the knee. I also attribute some of this to the change in diet--the protein and fat have made a huge difference in my post-workout recovery, and I'm sure they've helped boost the healing in my leg. Also, I made a new PR for front squats (the strength workout for this morning).

The other bit was lunch today. I ended up rushing out the door this morning with no time to get together a proper lunch. I was out on the road this morning for a presentation, and as I was on my way back to the office I decided to grab some food. I ended up hitting the grocery store instead of the fast food joints, and I ended up with some organic mixed greens, a lovely organic tomato, some goat feta, some olives, some all-natural dairy/grain free sliced turkey, and some salad dressing with no sugar and pronounceable ingredients. I headed back to work and assembled myself a BAS. It was sooooo much more satisfying than a take-out salad--no iceberg lettuce here.

So, today's food:

Pre-workout: banana
                    Post-workout: whole milk latte from my beloved local coffee place
                    (I meant to eat breakfast in here but forgot about it)
                    Lunch: BAS
                    Dinner: pastured organic pork patties, mixed veg with butter, thyme, and ground coriander seed, four bites of baked sweet potato with butter, salt, and pepper
                    Post-dinner foraging: a couple of spoonfuls of whipped heaven left over from the crumble dessert the other night

Other lifestyle stuff:

Managed to get 7.5 hours of sleep. Woke up 10 minutes before my 5:00 am alarm. Not bad considering that it's now definitely dark that early. We are heading into the long, dark months, and I'm wondering how Grok-style sleeping is going to work when we get down to less than 8 hours of daylight.

As for using the brain, I'm on to a new set of courses for school, so I'm definitely learning new things. Lots of thinking about international development, globalization, and related issues. I love being a grad student.

Oh, and speaking of things, I've decided to quit my job at the end of December and find something part time. After the holidays, I will be in full-on thesis mode, and I'm finding that I'm just too exhausted right now with a high-demand job and full-time school. Something needs to change, and I am definitely not quitting school. It's a scary step, but I have a pretty sizeable research grant coming my way and some savings, so my partner and I should be able to manage for a bit.

Owly's Journal

Comment

"...sweetie kept stopping between bites to kiss me and say thank you for the amazing meal, so I think it was a win..." Uhh, YEah! LOL That looks scrumptious!

"...Oh, and speaking of things, I've decided to quit my job at the end of December and find something part time. After the holidays, I will be in full-on thesis mode, and I'm finding that I'm just too exhausted right now with a high-demand job and full-time school. Something needs to change, and I am definitely not quitting school. It's a scary step, but I have a pretty sizeable research grant coming my way and some savings, so my partner and I should be able to manage for a bit..." Good for you! You have to find what works for YOU!
                      Starting Weight/BMI: 184/29.7
                      Current Weight/BMI: 130 /21.0
                      Ultimate Goal: 125/18

Comment

No photos, but tonight there was a paleo potluck at my CF gym. I got up early this morning and started a batch of bison chili in the slow cooker. By the time I got home, it was done perfectly. The chili was a hit, and the staff want to make it their recipe of the week

Other stuff today:

Breakfast: three pastured eggs, scrambled in coconut oil. Cold-brewed coffee with whole milk.
                        Mid-morning: raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries.
                        Lunch: BAS with mixed greens, turkey, tomato, feta, sundried tomato dressing.
                        Afternoon: Mackintosh apple from the first of this year's apples to arrive at the market, almond butter.
                        Dinner: potluck goodness! Had squash chips with guacamole for the first time. Yeah, I need to make some of those at home--so good!

Brain stuff: reading a really fascinating book about women, population, and environment in international development. I'm definitely getting a sense of my philosophy on development and the role of NGOs and aid organizations. Considering applying for PhD programs outside North America.

Avoid poisons: there was beer at the potluck. As a celiac, that's definitely poison to me! My sweetie had one instead.

Fitness stuff: not so much unless the flight of stairs to the second floor of my office building counts.

Play: the potluck. Had a good time laughing with the people at the gym. I'm getting to know folks a bit more now, and it was nice to have the chance to be social and hang out beyond our workouts. Not physical play, true, but humans are social animals, and most of us need connections with others to be healthy. Developing a strong social network is healthy and (hopefully!) fun too.

Sleep: not enough. Woke up too early this morning worrying about some stuff. I hate that. Not enough sunlight today either. The days are getting shorter quickly, and we had grey skies, rain, and even hail to add to the lack of sun.

Avoid trauma: Let's see...yup, all limbs present and accounted for.

Owly's Journal

Comment

Good for you, Owly on the socializing and networking! I hate that the days are getting shorter. I love fall, but I'm not a happy camper during the winter. I get too bored and I need the sun!
                          Starting Weight/BMI: 184/29.7
                          Current Weight/BMI: 130 /21.0
                          Ultimate Goal: 125/18

Comment

Our winters here are miserable. Months and months of cold, and the days are so short (less than eight hours in midwinter). I adore fall, but I hate winter. I am glad I'm escaping somewhere warm for five weeks this year!

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                              Our winters here are miserable. Months and months of cold, and the days are so short (less than eight hours in midwinter). I adore fall, but I hate winter. I am glad I'm escaping somewhere warm for five weeks this year!
                              Yeah.. people try to tell me to move to Mnpls and I say "well I might as well move to Canada!" ... I HATE the winters up here in the north.... I can't imagine what they must be like there...
                              Live Like No One Else

http://primalterp.blogspot.com/

Comment

I ordered a pig today. All of it.

There's a local farmer who pasture raises purebred Berkshire pigs. I buy meat from him regularly, and the quality is always very high. He sells half a pig for $4.00/lb or the whole thing for $3.50, which is a fantastic price. So I asked him today about getting a whole animal--it's about 100lbs of meat. We will likely split it with my brother-in-law. We should have our meat by the end of November (scheduled for when we get home from India). I am so excited. My freezer will be full of pork and elk. Now I just need to arrange for some chickens and a turkey for Christmas. I'm also considering getting a goose. Mmmmm...goose fat.

Also, I did Annie for the first time at CrossFit today. My double-unders are still pretty sad, so I did tuck jumps. I am pleased with my time: 10:50, which is pretty good for a noob (and I beat out some folks who've been doing this a lot longer!). Not a record breaker, but I am really proud of it. And then, after the gym, we were at the farmers market and I needed more cash. I ran a couple of blocks to the bank machine and back, no big deal: yet another sign that I am regaining the strength in my knee and rebuilding capacity.

Breakfast: three eggs scrambled in coconut oil, coffee with whole milk
                                Lunch: bison chili (yay leftovers!), whole milk latte
                                Snack: coconut Larabar
                                Other snack: Chocolate meringue cookie
                                Dinner: back bacon, mustard greens sauteed in the bacon fat, raw tomato (it's a lazy sort of day)

Owly's Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X