F*$# Cancer - I will not be a statistic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Karma View Post
    Body Fat dunk test was this week. My Tanita scale was reading 23-27% depending on my hydration levels
    Just out of curiosity, have you tried using the scale at the same time every morning upon waking, right after going to the bathroom? I'm finding incredibly precise results using this method. I literally get the same number every time except when it creeps downward slightly as fat loss occurs.

It may or may not be 'accurate', but it sure as heck has been 'precise'.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Yup, every time is at the same point in the morning. The difference is biggest before and after a shower. When your feet are wet, the nubers change by 2-4%. I've been using the tanita as a trend alalysis tool rather than gospel and that works for me. I don't weigh myself every day, just once a week. I prefer to use the mirror as my guage for success rather than the scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma View Post
        Yup, every time is at the same point in the morning. The difference is biggest before and after a shower.
        Then it's not the same! lol

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Long time to not write my thoughts. Things have been humming right along.

First of all, Mom. She has been through 6 rounds of Chemotherapy and her cancer markers are down but have not gone away. For the first time in her treatment, she did not have a week to week reduction in numbers and she is beginning to feel the peripheral neuropothy (numbness) in her feet and fingers, a sign that the chemo drugs are beginning to kill off nerve cells and they can't continue to up the dose. Her energy levels are low but her attitude is still pretty good. I try to visit about every two weeks.

How's primal going? Pretty fracking good! I went to the body fat dunk tank for a re-test and I dropped 10.05 pounds. 9.95 pounds of it was FAT. My tummy circumferance is down 10CM and my clothes fit very loose. I need to go get a new belt, I just hit the last hole about a week ago. I plateued for a couple of weeks and so I dropped dairy and the weight loss picked right back up. I am down a total of 16 pounds since October. I got a weight vest and have been gradually upping the weight and using it for my strength and mov-nat training. My dog is loving my short run and interval workouts, we have a route we run a few times a week in the open space near the house where he gets to run off leash. We always come home with him smiling and his tounge hanging out to the floor. I really got into the body weight strength stuff and developed a strength program of very easy to do exercises along with a bunch of agility workouts too. I'm feeling myself getting stronger and leaner every week.

And the business? Not formally launched yet, need to pay the extorsion fee of $800 for an LLC in the State of CA. Highway robbery if you ask me, no wonder nobody wants to start a business here! I did pick up two clients who are happy to pay cash for now. Liability concerns prevent me from working with anyone else right now. Once we have the business set up legally and have the insurance in place I will get the web site and promotional materials set up too. Its a very exciting time! *** I PASSED MY TEST !!! ****The trip to Colorado Springs to the Olympic Training Center was super cool. Working alongside so many top notch professional coaches was amazing. I passed all the on-site practical exams and submitted a 36 page manifesto as my written test (11 questions, essay answer). Last week I got my certificate in the mail confirming that I had passed the written test and am now one of only 214 level II USA Triathlon coaches in the USA. Probably one of the few primal ones for sure. tomorrow the season kicks off for the Team in training triathlon team I am coaching this season. We have 34 athletes so far, its going to be a really great season. I get to test out a lot of new coaching and primal training on a bunch of Guinea Pigs (the athletes).
          Last edited by Karma; 01-28-2011, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Karma,

Cillakat is correct. Get you and your family on 5,000 to 10,000 IU Daily ASAP and then get your blood level tested for optimal in 3 months.
            Vitamin D3 deficiency leads to severe immune system degradation, making yourselves open to cancers and a wide array of other disease.

Originally posted by Article
            Vitamin D 'triggers and arms' the immune system
            Vitamin D is crucial to the fending off of infections, claims new research.
            Richard Alleyne
            By Richard Alleyne, Science Correspondent 6:00PM GMT 07 Mar 2010

Comment

The so-called sunshine vitamin, which can be obtained from food or manufactured by human skin exposed to the sun, plays a key role in boosting the immune system, researchers believe.

In particular it triggers and arms the body's T cells, the cells in the body that seek out and destroy any invading bacteria and viruses.

Scientists at the University of Copenhagen have discovered that Vitamin D is crucial to activating our immune defences and that without sufficient intake of the vitamin, the killer cells of the immune system – T cells – will not be able to react to and fight off serious infections in the body.

For T cells to detect and kill foreign pathogens such as clumps of bacteria or viruses, the cells must first be ‘triggered’ into action and "transform" from inactive and harmless immune cells into killer cells that are primed to seek out and destroy all traces of invaders.

The researchers found that the T cells rely on vitamin D in order activate and they would remain dormant, ‘na´ve’ to the possibility of threat if vitamin D is lacking in the blood.

Professor Carsten Geisler from the Department of International Health, Immunology and Microbiology, said: "When a T cell is exposed to a foreign pathogen, it extends a signalling device or ‘antenna’ known as a vitamin D receptor, with which it searches for vitamin D.
            "This means that the T cell must have vitamin D or activation of the cell will cease. If the T cells cannot find enough vitamin D in the blood, they won’t even begin to mobilise. ”

The discovery, the scientists believe, provides much needed information about the immune system and will help them regulate the immune response.
            This is important not only in fighting disease but also in dealing with anti-immune reactions of the body and the rejection of transplanted organs.

Active T cells multiply at an explosive rate and can create an inflammatory environment with serious consequences for the body.

After organ transplants, T cells can attack the donor organ as a ‘foreign invader’. In autoimmune diseases, like arthritis or Crohns Disease, T cells mistake fragments of the body’s own cells for foreign invaders, leading to the body launching an attack upon itself.

For the research team, identifying the role of vitamin D in the activation of T cells has been a major breakthrough.

“Scientists have known for a long time that vitamin D is important for calcium absorption and the vitamin has also been implicated in diseases such as cancer and multiple sclerosis, but what we didn’t realise is how crucial vitamin D is for actually activating the immune system – which we know now, ” said the researchers.

The findings, continues Professor Geisler, “could help us to contain infectious diseases and global epidemics.

They will be of particular use when developing new vaccines, which work precisely on the basis of both training our immune systems to react and suppressing the body’s natural defences in situations where this is important – as is the case with organ transplants and autoimmune disease.”

Most Vitamin D is produced as a natural by-product of the skin’s exposure to sunlight. It can also be found in fish liver oil, eggs and fatty fish such as salmon, herring and mackerel or taken as a dietary supplement.

The findings are published in the latest edition of Nature Immunology.
            http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...ne-system.html
            Also read this AMAZING report:
            http://www.naturalnews.com/z028357_v...eficiency.html

For more on Vitamin D3, see my report below,
            Grizz
            Last edited by Grizz; 01-28-2011, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Oh, we got her on D3 right away. My wife is a holistic nutritionist and set her up with the finest medical grade vit D3 she could get. Also got her on folate and b-complex. I think that's why she is still feeling like she has energy to do stuff around the house. Most people in round 6 of chemo are in bed 50% of the day.

Comment

congratulations on passing your tests! that is really wonderful!

i'm also sorry to hear about where your mom is with chemo, but hopefully the whole situation will sort itself out soon.

Comment

Update after a long break.

Mom is doing OK, not great though. She went through 6 rounds of Chemo and the taxol has started to give her peripheral neuropothy (tingling in her fingers and toes), a sign that it is beginning to damage nerve endings. So they have to stop the taxol treatments now. Her blood cancer markers are low but still elevated so they are going to just monitor them for now to see if they remain low. Not too many options for treatment beyond holistic support for her immune system. As much as it saddens me to say it, she would rather face death than change her way of life radically. My wife and I have both tried to be supportive and share our ideas on how to support her health with limited success. At least she is now taking a Vitamin D supplement and probiotics, but cutting out grains, dairy and legumes is something she is not willing to accept as a potentially positive move. She is so steeped in conventional wisdom it will kill her. Last week was her birthday. I sent her a copy of "The Paleo Solution" with a hand written forward by me, asking her to read it with an open mind and just try it for 30 days. She should receive it very soon, I hope it does not go into the garage sale pile without a read.

My world is moving right along. I have filed for my LLC registration with the Sate of CA ($800 later) and my web site for my coaching business is still in development too. I have picked up two more coaching clients and now have four. Three of the four are on board with Primal/Paleo training and the fourth is trying but failing miserably when he travels for work. He has all the tools to be successful but uses travel as an excuse. I have decided to market my business model as a paleo athlete training specialty. There are not many out there specifically geared toward primal/paleo triathletes and I think I can make it work. My favorite client to work with is a kid (26 yrs old) who did the Whole30 challenge back in January and is now 100% on board. It will be a very interesting year for us as he is training for TWO Ironman Triathlons in June and November. So far we are seeing some good progress and he's doing everything I ask of him with regard to diet while training. His biggest issue is sleep quantity and quality.

My wife is away this weekend in Santa Monica at the USA Triathlon training class to become a Level 1 coach. She is also a level 2 USA cycling coach like me. Eventually she will take over as the operations manager of our business, Dreamcatcher Fitness, so I can focus on just the coaching side of the business. I am keeping my day job for now because it pays the mortgage and gives up top notch medical coverage we could not otherwise afford. I dream of the day I can retire and coach full time. Hopefully the primal/paleo movement will offer me that chance soon.

Speaking of day jobs, there goes my blackberry, gotta go!

Dave

Comment

I just dug this tread out for a little catharsis/therapy. We have gathered as a family this weekend to say goodbye to mom. She is on day 17 of hospice and we expect she will pass from this life sometime in the next 24 hours or so. Reliving a lot of memories this weekend, times of joy with reality in the background all the time. Been a rather poor excuse for a man lately so I hope this week with family discussing what really matters in life will take hold and allow me to express myself and my feelings I have for the people I love that have been supressed for a long time. Trying to preech less and act more in the coming days, hoping it will aid in my healing from this loss and motivate me to change more things in my life for the better.

Give your loved ones a hug and a kiss next time you see them. TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM for me.

Cheers,

Dave
                    Last edited by Karma; 10-03-2011, 08:32 PM.

Comment

i'm so sorry you and your family have my condolences
                      beautiful
                      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                      lol

Comment

i also extend my condolences to your family during this transitional time.

Comment

Mom passed away in front of me last night. She is finally at rest and out of pain after a 13 month battle. I will honor her by trying my best to be the man she raised me to be, asking her for guidance when I need it. The first thing to tackle is the out of control eating and drinking I have been doing since she got really sick about two months ago. I didn't just fall off the wagon, I drove it off a cliff. So today I recommit myself to clean living and positive energy. This time its personal!

Comment

10 days later and things are going as well as can be expected I guess. I have resisted falling into the trap of comfort foods I used to run for when I needed a break from stress in life. Tonight was dinner of roasted chicken with vegetables. A solid meal that will stay with me for several hours (into tomorrow). I have gotten back off the wheat I gravitated to out of sheer lack of willpower when I was with the family while caring for mom in her last days. In 10 days I'm down 4 pounds so that's a good thing that's happening right now. Picked up a copy of Dr. Davis' book, Wheat Belly, and have been reading it for insiration and its helping me stay the course off of wheat and gluten products. Caught myself preaching to the fat lady at work today about the evil grain, all while she shoveled pasta and tater tots into her pie hole. I guess I have not lost my touch!

I have embraced life more each day, cycling more, trail running, playing some golf with Dad and my brother. My brother and I did a lot of mountain biking together last weekend, what a great time.

Mom's memorial service is on Thursday so we are not completely done with the family stuff yet but I am strong and confident I can stay the course.

I got promoted at work last friday so things are really starting to look up at my day job. My side job has taken a hit since leaving to care for mom, but today I rekindled that fire too and hope to land a few new clients in the next couple of weeks.

Short entry tonight. Just don't feel like writing.

Cancer sucks people!
                            Last edited by Karma; 10-03-2011, 08:34 PM.

Comment

A tumultuous personal life can be the catalyst for change, speaking from my own personal experience. 2 years of a family filled with a crumbling marriage, heart attack, cancer scare, 3 cancers, 2 strokes, and 2 deaths. I may not have everything under control, but my health and fitness is what I'm starting with.

I sympathize with your loss. I am very sorry.
                              Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you can take a bit of solace in the fact you were able to be with her during her illness and her death. I believe it helps the healing process.
                                Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
                                X