Primal Journal for Jenny -- "Display some adaptability"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Journal for Jenny -- "Display some adaptability"

Hi all! I'm not sure how many people will read this, but I might as well journal. Once upon a time I thought of myself as pretty buff and badass... I want to get back there again and really enjoy life!

I introduced myself already over here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ow-start...%29

Here's the quickie summary of my starting status:

I'm pregnant, due late December, and losing weight (20 lbs so far, it was 40 last time) due to my typical pregnancy lack-of-appetite. So we'll see how well I can adhere to Primal meanwhile. At the very least I'm confident I can cut back on my pasta-addiction no matter what my appetite is like right now.

Currently 220 lbs. I certainly need to lose weight, but mercifully it's not a skinny-vanity-obsessive thing for me -- it's more about feeling healthy, energetic, and physically competent!

I have mild PCOS, and the extra androgens do give me one hormonal upshot: I build muscle pretty easily for a woman and I'm generally stronger than I look. Even now with no training I can leg press around 1400 lbs. on the gym machine. Back when I was at my most athletic I hovered around 150 lbs. Because of our builds and relative muscle mass, I wager I'll always weigh more than my uber-skinny husband (we're the same height.) I am "woman built for pull plow" as they say.

IBS is not fun but I'm hoping Primal will help with that. I won't be able to judge progress on that front until much later though -- all sorts of cramps are typically rampant during pregnancy. And at least for me, breastfeeding seems to mask the IBS temporarily. (It was coming back before I got knocked up with Kid #2). So by the time I'm done breastfeeding Kid #2, I ought to be so Primally marvelous that I'm hoping the IBS will never return or at least it'll be milder.

Currently trying to get buy-in for Primal Blueprint from my husband and 15-month-old daughter. Hubby is starting to read the book. He's mostly into it, conceptually, but hesitant to commit to giving up grains. Perhaps it'll be a gradual thing for him.

Conveniently I already hate soda and I'm not really into pastry or candy. Unfortunately, I also sort of hate meat... very tricky for me to find meat appetizing, though as an omnivore, I do want to eat more meat On Principle (and I am not a big fan of vegetarian alternatives.) I think as we get more practice cooking, I'll enjoy the resulting foods more. My husband loves meat so he's all for this.

I used to get a lot of protein from dairy, but I'm trying to cut back from my quarter-gallon-a-day and at least limit dairy to mostly cheese and yogurt.

Thanks for reading and of course, all comments and suggestions are welcome!
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Today's foodishness:
    Romaine with olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic power, salt, and pepper (YUM)
    Almonds
    Brie (see above RE: me and dairy and cheese...)
    glass of milk (Trust me, just one glass IS me cutting back. This will continue...)
    Lots of water (which I then spilled all over my work computer... oops. Hope it's OK!)
    Giant bowl of my family's soup recipe from here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ie-soup-recipe (Oh my. So good. WHY don't I make this more often?!)

Activityness:
    Walk around the pond near work.
    Goofing around with my kid. Toddlers are a good workout!
    Tomorrow we're going to Otakon in Baltimore, http://www.otakon.com -- so that'll be LOTS of walking. Still not sure what I'll eat there, though... I'll bring apples and almonds and water.

Funnishness:
    Gonna take a bath tonight with the hubby. The weightlessness ought to help me with the pregnancy cramps, too. Hmm. I should hit the pool more often with my kid too; it's not really a workout but she enjoys the water and I enjoy the buoyancy.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Hi Jenny! I wanted to pitch in on the IBS - I've been primal for about 7 months in an attempt to remedy a host of immunological issues, including GI problems (I got chronic diarrhea from a nasty round of antibiotics over 8 years ago) and also to gain weight. I have had a great deal of relief from eating the right stuff. From my experience and research, as-close-to-carnivore-as-possible is probably optimum for healing a damaged gut. I don't handle raw veggies well at all, and even most cooked ones don't sit the greatest. Tomatoes and peppers are particularly troublesome. Fermented seems to be OK but I really only eat sauerkraut perhaps once a month. Onions and garlic are fine, perhaps even curative/soothing. Grass-fed ruminant meat (lamb, beef, bison) is best for my gut, noticeably so over other meats. I take Dr. Ohhira's Probiotics 12 Plus. Goat and sheep dairy are much better on my gut than cow dairy and oh my goodness, do they have some excellent brie-type cheeses from goat milk. Look for bucheron. I drink 1-2 quarts of goat milk a day (I do take Lactaid, basically just for some digestive aid just in case) and have been on the above regimen with good gut health for about 3 months.

Comment

Just wanted to say good luck! =D

I absolutely adore brie and milk and dairy in general, so I know it's hard to cut back. But I used to have a lot of intestinal issues and cutting out the milk was the best decision I made. ^_^ I hope primal works for you!

Comment

Thanks prib81 and Pristinexine. Yeah, I'm sure this way of life will help my digestion on all fronts! I keep hearing success stories like these so I'm very encouraged.

We went to Otakon this weekend which was a heck of a lot of walking -- I did well though and I feel really good about it. Lots of fun seeing my fellow nerds in costume, too.

I used my RunKeeper app to track my walking at work yesterday, too. Aside from the usual walking to/from the car and around the building, I was able to walk another 1.5 miles thanks to going out to get lunch, a meeting in another building, and a lap around our pond here. The pond is artificial, but still much nicer than sitting in the office!

I think at lunch today I'm gonna go buy black footie-socks and use those to walk. We're thinking of getting VFFs this Sunday, so this is my way of sort of having a cheapie preview. Obviously I'm not going trail running with them, but it'll be fine for sidewalking and playing in the yard methinks...

Foodwise, I'm trying to come up with a new breakfast approach for my daughter. Thus far it's been oatmeal w/DHA since she can feed that to herself and it's good practice. So this morning I shared my 4 scrambled eggs with her instead... and she ate almost all of them! Voracious little toddler! I'll fix extra in the future. For spoon practice or breakfast variety, she can always have yogurt (I'm OK with her doing that considering, well, she IS a baby still -- they still have dairy need and they have the enzymes to deal with it, after all. She's also drinking grass-fed organic milk.)

I got a cherry pitter from Progressive. It's sort of like a giant stapler that pits 4 cherries at once. Really handy. With cherries suddenly being so convenient, I anticipate we'll be eating a lot more of them.

Comment

If you're near B-more, City Sports usually has the VFF in stock. As well as the Injinji toe socks.

And a suggestion for something to add to your daily diet, coconut oil. You can eat a spoonful, put it into coffee or tea, melt it over veggies, or (my favorite) fry whatever meat you're going to have in it with seasoning of choice. I find it's great with some chili powder and cumin.

Take care!

Comment

Thanks! Yep, I hear City Sports has a branch in Bethesda -- we're going there this weekend. Definitely want the socks too... I imagine it'll make VFFs less sweaty and less frictiony (from what I hear, that can be an issue for some people... understandable considering they're such a close fit!)

We do use coconut oil for cooking. We don't skimp on it then, but as for randomly eating it... I dunno. I'm not at a point where I think I need to add loads of extra fat just on principle to stave off hunger -- probably better off getting extra fat from foods that have other stuff I need like protein (nuts, meat) for now.

Comment

VFFs ordered since they didn't have our size of KSOs in stock. We were able to try the size in another style, though. Conveniently my husband and I wear the same size! (We're the same height, too.)

Went geocaching today. Picked the wrong route and so we never found it, but it was a very fun walk of about a mile through a giant meadow of grasshoppers. Many dozen grasshoppers fled with every step -- so many hitting the grass nearby, it sounded like it was raining! I joked with my husband that if we were REALLY primal, we'd have been eating those grasshoppers.

Then went to a salad bar, also ordered some salmon. The salmon was perfectly fine I'm sure, but neither of us were really into it. Tragic! But the huge variety at the salad bar really hit the spot.

Tonight we made beef/pork meatballs, lots of basil and garlic, browned with butter and then cooked the rest of the way with tomato-basil sauce. Mmmm. Now, I know primal life is not all about the numbers, but since I don't get a lot of protein, I went ahead and calculated macronutrients per meatball made, based on the meat, eggs, and sauce:
                68 meatballs
                7,872 calories total / 68 = 115 calories each (incl. a portion of sauce)
                517 fat grams / 68 = 7.6 grams each
                341 carb grams / 68 = 5 grams each (from the sauce)
                438 protein grams / 68 = 6.5 grams each

So if I eat say... six at once at lunch, that's 690 calories, 30 grams carb, and about 40 grams protein. Hmmm.
                Last edited by Jenny; 08-08-2010, 07:48 PM. Reason: VFF note

Comment

Congrats on getting the VFF's ordered.

Sounds like you two had a great day!

Comment

Got the VFFs. It took a lot of work to get my feet into them, REALLY tight across the top. I wasn't expecting the band on the mesh to be quite so tight. I just took them off after a few hours and I still have a red mark from the band. Worrisome. :/

My husband's feet are more slender (though the same size) and he had much less trouble getting 'em on. I am hoping I can just break them in and they'll ease up on me on that front...

Going to Boston this weekend. There'll be a lot of walking but I'm sticking with my flip-flops for now!

Comment

Hey, been a while. The Boston trip was great. TONS of walking. It was really good for me. Lots of restaraunt eating which was trickier, but at least I kept myself fed and tried to make sure I ate meat at least once a day (this was a special challenge since I kinda hate meat anyway...)

I ended up actually gaining weight in Boston instead of losing it like usual -- maybe muscle from the walking?

And then I surely lost it again: then I came down with a rather spectacular stomach virus which has laid me low all week. When I couldn't keep water down anymore, I did go to the ER and got pumped up with 3 liters of IV fluid... can't mess around with dehydration when pregnant! And considering we only have what, 6 liters of blood, that was pretty amazing...

I'm trying to make sure I stick primal with my recovery foods. So far, so good. It's still kinda sad though because we did a big grocery run for salad supplies before I got sick, and now they're all kind of... aged. My husband can't eat them fast enough, so we've had to toss some stuff. I keep reminding myself it would have cost us the same whether I ate it or not, but it still sucks to waste food.

My energy level is back up some so I was able to do some walking today, too. Before that I had to take multiple breaks just walking five houses up from my parents' place. It's amazing how little energy you have when you haven't eaten for days.

I keep thinking forward to after pregnancy and I recover from this c-section... February maybe? I'll shell out for the Primal Leap and finally feel like I can get fully on the bandwagon. I'm looking forward to it. A lot. Just trying to maintain my enthusiasm and still be as primal as possible meanwhile.

Our indoor pool reopens on Sept. 7 and I'm anticipating when they publish the new schedule. Then I can come up with a more specific plan in relation to when they're open late, so I can go swim after my daughter's 7pm bedtime.

Comment

Thanks cool that you guys can share shoes.

Definately give the vibrams a few weeks to break-in, they can be a bit stiff at first.
                        sigpic

Comment

I actually ended up needing to cut about an inch down into the neoprene at the top opening of the Vibrams. They fit much better now. I have been wearing them for a few weeks.

But, I have a different issue which is that the embroidered-in Vibram logo is giving me a blister! In general they just feel too tight after a good walking session, which is no good. And bigger sizes were too long. This may be a doomed effort... maybe I should have insisted on the men's size even though the sales guy said no, maybe I'll get some RunAmocs. Meh.

I'm giving up on the VFFs for now. We'll see whether they fit me better later when I'm less pregnant/overweight. (I don't feel like I have foot chub, but my feet are plenty wide and I'll start getting pregnancy edema soon.)

Comment

Feels like I'm now back to 100% after the stomach bug episode I described last week, thankfully. I did lose weight though! Trying to stabilize my ongoing weight loss for the baby's sake, at doc's request...

I'm back to my giant lunch salads... and I was able to have some great turkey for dinner last night thanks to my Dad! (who slaved over the turkey, then went to bed without eating because now HE has that bug. It's been chewing up my whole extended family!)

Still have my usual morning sickness though. Considering I'm at the 6 month mark now, looks like this is continuing for the long haul.

Appointment today at the obstetrician. Baby's heart rate is great as usual. We discussed the next appointment which will be the glucose challenge test to check for gestational diabetes -- wish us luck!

I told the doc that I've been focusing on eating more meat, and having lots of vegetables and fruit for my carbs in lieu of starches, and she agreed that that sounds great and also maximizes the chances of me passing the diabetes test. (gee, makes sense doesn't it??)

Comment

...Okay, maybe more like back to 90%. But I'm not sure whether to blame the bug's lingering after-effects, carb flu as I try to eat more and more primally, or the baby.

Rather than focusing on blame, I have been trying to just focus on eating good stuff. My appetite is still really lousy and I'm losing ever-more weight, which is typical for pregnant me. But what I _am_ eating is much healthier than last time, and I'm walking more, so this is all good.

We did have that ultrasound today but we still don't know if I'm having a Grok or a Grokette. At this point it looks like we'll have to wait till D-Day to find out if the kid is a boy or a girl! Oh well, I really wanted to know (but thankfully don't actually care which we get!) I guess not knowing is the "primal" way heheh...

Activity-wise, I'm working about 12 hours a day right now (!!!) and will be working this weekend, so I'm just sneaking in walks wherever I can. My hours will go back to normal after this big project is done, so I will get back to a good solid swimming schedule for the evenings after that. Can't wait.

So glad to see the recent troll influx in the forums is dying down. It was tedious. I would have been more forgiving if it seemed more like genuine questions instead of halfassed Atkins-stereotype-accusatory drama. I mean... compared to the average diet, primal eaters eat SO many more actual vegetables than anybody! (aside from some, not all, actual vegetarians. Most of the "vegetarians" I know are starchaterians. One even goes so far as to freely admit she hates vegetables! WTF.)

I've been trying to get out into the forums more and reply encouragingly to people, and post encouragement in journals. I certainly don't consider myself a primal expert... and I've blown a few answers in other threads... and I'm not 100% anyway yet... so I'm kinda trying to stick to cheering others on for the now. Gotta direct my overenthusiasm _somehow_ since I still feel like I can't apply it as much to my own diet/lifestyle as I want to!

My toddler is still having a small bowl of oatmeal at breakfast, but it's mainly a carrier for her omega-3 supplement, multivitamin, and vitamin D. I guess I could do that in applesauce instead (but wouldn't that be even more of a carb spike?) I'm trying to keep the oatmeal minimal and give her scrambled egg afterward.

She won't eat the egg with the vitamins or I'd just go straight for that. I thought about adding the vitamins to her milk instead, but the omega-3 will float and she never finishes the last bit of milk, so I fear she'd miss out. Better to mix it with something I guess...

Then her lunch is always some kind of meat and fruit. We've had a tough time finding veggies she's willing to eat lately -- I'll keep working on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X