Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Challenge Journal (hilary.oitzinger)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a long road - and familiar ! I HATE when suits don't fit - grrrr ... I would definitely get the thyroid tested - they all fit together - thyroid / adrenals / cortisol being a key factor - esp with the allergy issues - that is big with adrenal fatigue - And with all the stress from law school / bar exam / job, you are a prime candidate ! .. whoohoo ! ... your symptoms definitely fit that ...

Circuits - yeah, all of that you have listed - plus, if you have some 10 or 15 lbs DBs at home, you can do stuff like DB Thrusters or Y-squats - plus DB presses for UB - Go on YouTube and look for Tabata style workouts - you want to get your heart rate up as much as you can !

I was doing this one below and it was a killer - you go once through and then rest (or, if you are me, you rest while you are doing it too !) and then you do it again ... no puking !

1) prisoner squats - 20 reps

2) pushups - 20 reps

3) jump squats - 20

4) burpees - 15 - here's the puking

5) reverse lunges - 10 each side

6) mountain climbers - 40 total

rest and then do it again - don't hate me !

this is good b/c you can do it at home and it's quick !

Let me know how it goes

PrimalMom
    Check out my new blog at http://primalmom.blogspot.com

Comment

Some heavy lifting with more resting b/w due to illness yesterday

Aug. 10 cont.

Lunch

Turkey sausage

handfull carrots

Snack

Two handfulls cashews

Pre-workout

1/2 apple

Dinner

Wild caught salmon

An english cucumber

1/2 apple

Snack

Peach

Aug 11

MIGRAINE today

stomach still a little funky but getting better

BF

1/2 apple, 1/2 c. black coffee nursed all a.m.

Snack

1/2 apple

Lunch

out

Steak burger with carmelized onions

Salad, with fork dipping rasp vinagrette

a litttle more coffee after lunch

Comment

Primal Mom

Sounds like a doozie. I'll give it a try on HIIT day and let you know. I previously thought HIIT included1/2 min 1min intervals on an eliptical or such. I now understand Mark is talking about BW for high intensity. I'm still going to do one of my lifting days as a body weight day with out the speed and intensity of the HIIT day. More like traditional superset BW lifting, high reps, lots of sets, etc. to see if that helps lean out and causes a little less of a stress response. Given the workout schedule posted on yesterday's forum, I'm starting to wonder if my gym membership is worth it if I'm only going there once a week to lift (long and slow, BW HIIT, and sprints can all be done w/o the gym). Not sure.

I will definitely get my thyroid checked soon. How do they test for adrenal burnout? I know there's a saliva cortisol test.

Comment

P.S. I'm sure I'll be resting in the middle. Maybe it will be like first 1/2 rest, Second 1/2, rest, repeat. Allaying the puking is my chief goal.

Comment

adrenals are usually with a saliva test - i think there are good ones through the mail if your doc won't do it - ya know they think adrenal fatigue is bogus .. (most of them, anyway) ....

Hey, your food looks good !!!

PrimalMom

Comment

whew, busy at work, quickie

Aug. 11 cont.

Snack - ate a little more of leftover burger and onions from lunch

Dinner - finished lunch, a little salmon, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 apple

Hiking, 55 min., YAY!

Snack

Strawberries

Aug. 12

BF

1/2 apple, 1/2 cup black coffee

Snack

1/2 apple

Lunch

out

chicken breast, avocado, salad with balsamic vin.

salad had several walnuts on it, some allergy symptoms, post-lunch low-grade migraine

Snack, planned

2 handfulls cashews

Comment

1 square dark chocolate at dinner last night, 4 g carb, 72% not the 86% I usually eat, which is lower

Comment

Aug 12 cont.

Snack

Handful cashews, tap water, 2 ibuprofen to combat migraine

Led to major tummy ache and upset, nausea, brain fog, not sure why. Ibuprofen maybe? Not typical. Cashews? Not typical either.

Comment

not enough protein ????

PrimalMom

Comment

Primal Mom: Maybe? I had double chicken "sand" at lunch but there wasn't that much on there.

Definitely not good, whatever it was.

The nuts were unsalted, roasted with "soybean, peanut, and/or cottonseed oil" on them. Could have been one of these nasty oils I suppose

These were bought in a clutch and wound up in the desk at work

I had them again later to test and had some of the same issues but not all. I did have walnuts on the salad at lunch though, which I felt like were causing a problem. It could have been the combo of already reacting with an otherwise pretty benign food.

The plan is to test raw cashews completely by themselves on an empty stomach relatively soon to check this out.

Sorry to subject you to my extreme obsession...

Comment

Aug. 12 cont.

Dinner

1/8 cantaloupe

1/2 avocado

Salad, 1/2 avocado, 2 tbsp olive oil, turkey sausage, red baby butter lettuce and spinach

1 piece dark chocolate, previously miscalc carbs, 2.75 g each piece

Snack

1/4 apple

Turkey sausage (5 pieces)

1/8 cantaloupe

Was really hungry 1.5 hrs after dinner. Craving red meat. The cantaloupe at dinner might have been overkill

Aug. 13

BF 1/2 apple, 1/2 double americano

Snack 1/2 apple

Lunch

out

roast beast "sand," slice tomato, lettuce, mustard

side salad, tomatoes, mushroom, green leaf lettuce, no dressing

1 bite cranberry roll.

When I asked for a sandwich, no cheese, no mayo, no bread, the lady had a hard time figuring out how she'd do it, SO, I just said, go ahead include the roll. The one bite caused fuzziness, stuffiness, a little all over internal swelling. Not the worst reaction, but not something I should have done. That is my first intentional consumption of grains since July 15.

Comment

Aug 13 continued

Dinner

steak burger, carmelized onions, salad w/ fork dipped in rasp vinagrette

Aug 14

BF: 1/2 apple, snack 1/2 apple

Lunch: turkey sausage, 1/2 avocado

Snack: handfull carrots and 1/2 apple

Dinner:

-chicken w/ olive oil

-eggplant, zuch, portobello, broccoli, onion, garlic, fresh basil, italian sauteed veggies

-red butter lettuce, baby spinach salad, OO for dressing

Snack:

less than 1/2 oz red wine, 1 sq 86% choc, 1 apple

Comment

Aug 14 exercise

Shredded body with HIIT bodyweight. Thought it was just going to be a bodyweight strength session but turned into HIIT. I think this will work well for me, combining the two.

4 rounds, 4th to failure

squats - 20

std. pushups - 10

split squates - 20 each leg

chair dips - 20

sumo squats - 20

plank - 30 secs

also did some kickboxing, jumping jacks in between rounds

5 rounds of pushups - 4th round to failure at 20 reps, 5th round to failure at 13 reps.

Aug 15

Surprisingly not that sore

BF 1/2 apple, 1 c. black coffee

Snack 1/2 apple

Lunch 1/8 cantaloupe

out

carne asada, guac, lettuce, salsa

(I reacted to the carne asada for some reason)

Exercise - planned on hiking but took a nap instead so REST DAY)

Snack

1/2 apple

Dinner

Out, Applebees - gross

big salad, fork-dipped honey mustard dressing

7 0z sirloin, ate a little more than half

steamed veggies, ate a few of the carrots

(this also made me react, dressing?)

Snack

Small movie popcorn

(this made me react A LOT, probably the butter flavor)

Aug 16

And...I feel like crap today

illness from reactions yesterday, partial migraine, and I am SO sore from the HIIT the other day

BF 1/2 apple

Note: Pretty soon after this weekend, I have to start prepping for another set of food allergy tests. This means two weeks of including a portion of wheat one day, dairy the next, for two weeks. SO my PB will have to be altered somewhat SAD FACE I am also going on a one-week vacation, so we'll have to see how well all the eating and exercising goes

Comment

ugh. I went on vacation last Tuesday, 8/18. Food-wise, things were okay on the way to my first destination but began to break down. Coconut sorbet and a couple pieces of hard candy the first night. Coffee and late breakfast of cashews. This started me off on a bad road. I don't know if it was low blood sugar, encroaching stomach illness (the friend I was visiting had a 12 hour thing the day before), or just the oppressive heat and humidity but I found myself barely able to complete a one-mile walk and was extremely nauseous at lunch (clams, salad, sugar packets to get BG up). Yuck. I was so sick that day. Took my friends out for dinner but was so nauseous myself I just had a little dark chocolate for dinner. The next day was all driving. It started with an apple and strawberries and a banana. Then I fell off the wagon. Deep fried fish, brown rice, a muffin and a cookie. Then a granola bar and a few cookies for dinner. I was up sick and in pain all night. The next day was driving too. Strawberries and bananas during the day and then the inside of a sub for dinner. Sick again. The next day, apple, coffee, figs, goat cheese, rice crackers, strawberries, lots of salt water taffy, then salmon, quinoa, salad, dark chocolate. Driving day - banana, apple, goat cheese, rice crackers, fruit cups and then at 10:30 at night with four more hours of driving to go, two corndogs, a bag of cracker jacks, and a diet coke.

Yesterday: From bad to worse:

three large biscotti, mini chiabatta, apple, corn tortillas, banana, sleeve of graham crackers, indian food frozen meal (dal, veg curry, brown rice).

Although I initially had little reaction to all of that wheat (very strange), blood sugar crashed in late afternoon. EXTREMELY sick. back up again only to crash again repeatedly throughout the evening and even in the middle of the night. Up with stomach discomfort all night. All the wheat from earlier I'm pretty sure. Slept very late. Generally feel like total crap.

Today:

Recommitting

bad start

corn and black bean tamale with brown rice

Ok, time to get that blood sugar and stomach under control again. I have had stomach upset for over a week. Then I think I actually caught a stomach bug, and now have residual upset.

Currently, BG is crashing again after tamale.

I hope it doesn't take a full three weeks for my body to switch over again. I was just starting to see results and real change. I will be in training all next week for my new position at a law firm and will be eating out the whole time. I'm going to try, but I can tell, next week is not looking good either.

Comment

Working...
                              X