Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Fist's journey toward enlightenment - and awesomeness.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Fist's journey toward enlightenment - and awesomeness.

I'm a martial artist and early-days strength trainee, turning my nutritional life around thanks to Mark. 28 at time of posting this, so I've got plenty of time to sort myself out - though I wish I'd found out about how horrific my old diet was about fifteen years back. I'm doing Wendler's 531 program - I've tried more intensive programs, but my active job and MA training crippled my recovery, so the slow but steady approach of 531 suits me fine.
    I'm going for my first degree black belt in Taekwon-do on November 20th, so one of my goals is to get bodyfat down to an acceptable level (ie pretty low) by the time that rolls around. I don't think I'm a million miles off, so I'm putting my faith in the Primal lifestyle...
    The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
    Blog
    sigpic

Today I've done some benching on 531 - up to 45kg x 10 for the final set, with pullups (x4) in between each set. Had some cheese and nuts with a bit of sliced tomato for breakfast, and a banana after the workout. Going to shop for holiday gear now - off for a return trip to our four-years-back honeymoon destination of Skala next week. TKD training later and some padwork with my other half - I'll make a martial artist out of her yet!
    Blog
    sigpic

Comment

Had some tuna in olive oil, scrambled eggs with cheese, and a salad so far today. Leftover beef for dinner.

Got some good training in, my new break board holder is very useful, as is my new freestanding heavy bag holder - you wouldn't believe how many chains I've broken hanging that thing from the ceiling! Also getting marginally nearer to the front split, god damn those isometric stretches are painful.

Though for the day: has the use of indicators been removed from the driving test syllabus? It certainly seems that way to me.
      Blog
      sigpic

Comment

Eat more bacon
        sigpic

Comment

Sage advice from the shark-in-law there. Funnily enough we had some bacon from the farm shop today.

Did squats today, sets of three, with 63kg for a set of six for the last one, then some MA training solo and with the missus, who is definitely improving quickly. Off to Kefalonia for a week on Thursday 5th... so we're both working to be as trim as possible by that point, we want good beach shots.
          Blog
          sigpic

Comment

Yes, got Nicola doing overhead pressing and deadlifting with me today - the conversion is happening! More beeeeautiful Taekwon-do training for me of course. 'Broke up' from work for a fortnight today. Sweet.
            Blog
            sigpic

Comment

Restful day today - went to our TKD club's new purpose-built building complete with proper floor mats and threw myself around for ninety minutes, then went for an easy jog with Nicola when I got back. Did you know that steak is only 20g of protein per 100g? Really though it would be more than that.

Never mind, steak. I still love you.
              Blog
              sigpic

Comment

Whew. Lots of TKD training today, then bench and squat on 531 after doing some padwork with Nicola. Minced beef and veg for dinner - lovely stuff. Plus we get leftovers for tomorrow.

Well, I've been minus shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and deodorant (bar a crystal roll-on) for a good month now and my main recurring thought is: 'I cannot believe how much money I have wasted on toiletries that I didn't need'.
                Although Nicola tried the ACV thing on her hair and it went horribly greasy, so I guess it doesn't work for everyone...
                Blog
                sigpic

Comment

Had an awesome night at TKD training, managed to get knocked out for a split second and also nearly got the splits all the way down! Excellente.

P.S. Hello Megalodon!
                  Blog
                  sigpic

Comment

Hello back oh Primal fisted one.
                    sigpic

Comment

Ok, back from a week's holiday in Kefalonia. I'll post a few Primal-related musings about it.

Holiday Musings Part One - aka Not Smelling Like A Tramp
                      My visit to Greece confirmed for me without doubt that the majority of toiletries are a total waste of money. I showered once or twice a day, using only running water, and used a baking soda solution a couple of times on my hair to get the sea-salt out, though to be honest just water and a lot of rubbing was doing a near perfect job of that. This is all in at least 36 degrees heat - and by the end of the holiday it was up to 44! (99 and 111 for fahrenheit people.) Not a trace of odour was reported, save for one morning when the previous night's meal had been unusually oniony, and my wife has a very keen sense of smell so she would be the one to ask on such matters.
                      Blog
                      sigpic

Comment

Buffets are my Achilles' heel, definitely. Just got back from a wake (do you have wakes in America? I'm going to assume yes) where a large buffet was laid out, I was a bit hungry when we got there, and despite planning to eat only meat I ended up having bread and a slice of pizza and even a slice of chocolate cake. Paying for it now of course.
                        And on the day that the PB Cookbook arrived as well....
                        Blog
                        sigpic

Comment

Some other Primal benefits - I've noticed a lot more energy for sparring, I don't get exhausted quite as easily. Not to mention I'm not quite as bothered about my dobok (TKD uniform) top coming open during a fight
                          Blog
                          sigpic

Comment

So, I figured I'd post a piccie... it's my genetic destiny to get one side kick photo in per holiday, and this was from Kefalonia a week ago. Physically I want to stick some extra muscle on there and lose my last belly fat, via Primality (if it wasn't a word then it is now) and Wendler's 531 program.

Blog
                            sigpic

Comment

Mrs Fist reached the 30lb weight loss point today looking good. I've definitely lost more belly fat as well. When we've both reached that mysterious point where you're happy with how you look, we plan to post in the 'before and after' thread together... we've got separate 'before' photos, but I thought it'd be a nice idea to do a combined 'after' photo.

Holiday Musings Part Two - Primal gatherings

One other thing that struck me in Kefalonia was the communal nature of the evenings. It's quite a small island, with small and separate-ish communities. Every night, especially at the weekends, the main plaza area in Skala was filled with the local children playing football and running around or playing on the swings etc, with their parents on the benches nearby, often playing chess or backgammon. All the children seemed to be involved and known to the others, and there were a few bumps and knocks without the usual screaming after-effect that you'd expect to see back in England (if you ever saw a child away from the TV screen for long enough to take a fall). The level of parental supervision was also nowhere near as constant as back home, mainly because it just wasn't necessary. The whole situation felt entirely safe, and as everyone seemed to know each other then there was less cause for concern.

I remember commenting to Mrs Fist at the time that these children and their parents were much closer to the Primal ideal than their equivalent in England, who are typically much more isolated and sedentary, not knowing who lives even a couple of houses away from them. Maybe we should take a few ideas from the Greeks...
                              Blog
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X