Primal Journal (Iskander)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Journal (Iskander)

Well, I'm not big on journals, but I figure it might keep me motivated if folks know what I'm up to. So, here it is.

I just got a pullup bar for my apartment today, tried it out, and was able to do 7 pullups (before going primal, I couldn't do any). Don't want to push myself today, though, since I have an athletic event that'll require my arms still be attached to my body.

Foodwise, I'm not doing too well. x_x Carbs in drinks are what get me (like a bolthouse farms vanilla chai smoothie). Also, mozzarella sticks have way more carbs than I thought... Gave up soda and fruit juice recently, and I'mma give up all carby drinks in restaurant. I also don't eat enough... Tell myself I'll IF for a day or two a week and end up doing it for four days, not eating anything until after six or seven. Not really too hungry before then, though. A coffee with heavy cream in the morning tends to hold me until then.
    Last edited by Iskander; 04-13-2012, 12:28 PM.
    "A man in this world without learning is as a beast of the field."

My Primal Journal

Was able to last an entire two hours of heavy activity yesterday without losing any energy at all. Was even able to sprint back and forth for a while without killing myself.

I've figured out that I can do sets of three pullups at a time. Current goal is to be able to do sets of 10 within a month.

Still not sure what's going on with food. It'd be great to find some meats that are easier to cook and can be whipped out in a minute or two. Hmn. Finding something like that is next on the list for food, then.

Went to Denny's last night and got a wicked low carb (bacon, turkey bacon, sausage, yogurt) meal. Even gave up the delicious fizzy drinks and went with water instead.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Weighed myself this morning. I've lost 2 lbs since my first post here.

I'm up to four pullups per set now.

Still fasting the day until dinner.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Just started the Simplefit exercise thing.

Got in 15 pull ups, 30 pushups, and 45 squats in about twelve/thirteen minutes before I couldn't go on.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Your from " Troilet" ...Nice!! Congrats on going no fizz at Dennys and also the 2 lbs I'm not sure if your looking to gain or loose or just overall better health, but regardless it looks like your on the right track!

Comment

Looking to lose fat, gain muscle. Currently a nice chubby 180 lbs (5'8"). I'd love to get down to a nice 160 or there abouts, with lots more muscle.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Yesterday I went to a hibachi restaurant for dinner. Miso soup and teriyaki chicken. Was delicious.

Also had a milkshake later. For the first time, I noticed the bloating, stomach issues, and general bodily unhappiness with the severe amounts of sugar in the shake. It's happened before, but this is the first time I was able to tie it directly to a particular food.

My Primal Journal

Comment

D= Got really sick yesterday. Was exhausted and drank one of those five hour energy shots. Bad decision. Puking and sleeping all day. Ate a tiny bit of food, went to bed at 9:30 and woke up at 1:30 in the morning. Got back to sleep at about 4/5 in the morning.

Today was better. Lost another two pounds. Did day 2 of level one of SimpleFit. 10 pullups, 30 pushups, 50 squats. Not counting the rest times, done in 3 minutes and 58 seconds.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Was out camping/at a Ren Fair this weekend. Definitely didn't eat primal, but I'm back to it now.

Just finished Day 3 of Simplefit. Finished with a minute and thirty seven seconds left.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Went out to lunch at Olive Garden yesterday. Mussels and salad. A good lunch. Today was tuna for dinner.

My Primal Journal

Comment

It's been a while since I came to these forums, so I suppose an update is in order.

I've made some progress (no more muffin top ) since I started going primal. It's been slow going, but I've only been about 60% primal, so I expected that. I don't know how much I weigh, since I don't own a scale, but my clothes are a bit loose. Before I started primal, I was gaining a few pounds every few weeks, and I saw no end in sight, so I purchased myself some fat-pants (a size larger than I wore). Now, if I don't wear a belt and crank it like crazy, those pants won't even stay on me. I've gone from a size 37 to a size 35 so far. And I've got a lot more muscle (there's a great deal more visible, at least).

Beyond aesthetics, quality of life has gone up by a lot. I've been sick once since I started primal. Used to be that I'd have a cold or flu of some sort at least once a month, if not more. I have energy, I wake up refreshed, and my tolerance for work and weather has improved.

This weekend was probably the best example of improvement that I can list. I'm a huge geek, and I larp. This weekend was an event. We camped in an unheated cabin for two nights, and I didn't freeze. Didn't freeze outside in the snow, either, while everyone around me was shivering and kvetching. I went for 15 hours of fighting, sprinting, jogging, climbing, without getting tired. Ate mostly meat and cheese to keep energy, and even then I didn't need to eat much. Used to be that even twenty minutes of fighting in armour would exhaust me. Now I can't find the point where I have to stop.

And my girl has gotten more into primal, dropping a pant size and seeing similar quality of life improvements to those that I posted.

Now I just need to swing from 60% to 80%.

Edit: I have noticed that I have trouble eating enough vegetables. I tend to eat meat, poultry, and fish heavy meals. My girl doesn't like a lot of veggies, unfortunately, which makes it a bit hard to incorporate them for myself since we cook together. Any suggestions?

My Primal Journal

Comment

Well, I haven't been overly primal for the last few days. At least in terms of diet. A lot of sugar, and too many self-justifications.

For exercise, I've started alternating strength and endurance training days. Strength is my low rep high weight day, endurance the low weight, high rep day. Today was an Endurance day.

I'm still getting between nine and ten hours of sleep a night, which has been a good amount. I wake up rested, refreshed, and feeling fine. So at least this area doesn't need work. xD

Starting Weight: 190
                        Weight at last check: 180
                        Current weight: x_x I dunno! No scale.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Exercise this week went well. I did some weighted pushups and squats one day, for strength, then some unweighted ones another day for endurance. The last two exercise days this week were a combination of play and sprint. Thursday was some rigorous boffer combat for two hours, and last night was laser tag for half an hour. I've never done laser tag before, and boy was I surprised at just how much effort it takes to sprint up a ramp and storm a fortified position, while keeping low enough to use the waist high walls as cover.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Today's food: Coffee, turkey breast, sweet potatoes. And a slice of apple pie (my Thanksgiving indulgence, since I wasn't able to eat any on Thursday). All but the coffee and pie were eaten after my exercises. Coffee and pie were eaten a few hours before exercising.

Today's exercises: 50 pushups, and about a minute of hanging from my pullup bar (lift my feet from the ground, and then hold position for a few seconds, lower back down when it was too much, rest, then go back to it). Followed by some geekery (dancing alone in my living room to Pandora).

Overall: I feel amazing. Pants are a bit too loose now, running out of holes on my belts, etc. And right now I feel fucking energized. As soon as I can move again, I think I'm going back to the floor. With how much effort is going into this geekery/dancing, I might just count it as a sprint.

My Primal Journal

Comment

This weekend was a larp weekend. Spent two days hiking, sprinting, and fighting. Food could have been more primal, but I tried to stick to the healthier things (water and gatorade instead of soda, meat and potatoes instead of pasta).

Managed to hurt my foot thanks to shitty boots. I plan on getting some nice ones made by a group that takes a cast of your foot and makes the boot around this shape. Hopefully they'll be better for my feet than the standard shoes and boots are.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X