No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (Iskander)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, in preparation for a friend's arrival, I decided to try on some clothes I haven't been able to fit into for years. As of three months ago, I couldn't even shove my flab into them without starting to rip the seams and pop off buttons. Tonight, they slid on easy as pie and sit a little loose.

Boo-fucking-yah.
    "A man in this world without learning is as a beast of the field."

My Primal Journal

Comment

So, I used FitDay for the first time.

Calories: 2044
      Fat: 164.9
      Carbs: 104.9
      Protein: 48.4

I definitely need to figure out how to reverse my carb and protein numbers. Too many of my favourite foods have a high fat, but almost equally high carb, content. >_<

Given that today was a fairly low carb day for me, I can only imagine that I haven't been eating nearly as low carb as I thought. Disappointing, but an eye opener nonetheless. Tomorrow I'll try to do better.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Numbers for today.

Calories: 2275
        Fat: 171.9
        Carbs: 87.3
        Protein: 114

So, better than yesterday.

My Primal Journal

Comment

A few cool milestones.

-Tonight I've finally gotten rid of all sugar in my coffee, and more importantly, the coffee no longer tastes like ass without it.
          -My clothes are all a little loose, and I have to wear belts with jeans that fit snugly a month or two ago.
          -Since I've started eating primally and doing "lifting heavy things" workouts, I've gained a good deal of visible muscle mass. I'm lifting weights that are twice as heavy as when I started.
          -For the first time, friends ask my girl and I if they can come over for our homemade cooking instead of suggesting we eat out.

All in all, I'd say I've done fairly well for myself. Improved mood, improved sleep, improved health, less flab, more muscle, delicious food... This is the good life.

My Primal Journal

Comment

'Kay, so, I'm back around now that the challenge is going on. And I'm tweaking it a bit to suit what's going on in my life right now.

In addition to the regular Primal Challenge, I'm going to be doing some things to make my house (it's new, and all that) a place that's actually supportive of primal.

Kitchen:
            -Cleaning out grains from the pantry. Getting rid of shit like doritoes and crackers. Gotta leave some cereal for the non-primal housemates, but whatever.
            -Setting up our 4 crockpots to be constantly making something (stew, yogurt, slow cooked meat, etc).
            -Setting up an actual cooking schedule, and keeping track of what we're planning on making, so we never get stuck buying or making shit because we ran out of meat and veggies randomly.

Bedroom:
            -I've already started sleeping without alarms. Well, more accurately, I've started waking up without them. I'll continue doing this.
            -I want to figure out a way to block out the street lights from outside, without also blocking out the sunlight that comes in in the morning.

Yard:
            -Setting up a tire so I can do my sledgehammer exercise.
            -Improving on the firepit so friends and I can actually sit around the fire at night and devour delicious delicious meat.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Had a bonfire last night. Got some strength stuff in by wrecking some things with a sledge hammer. Combining play and exercise? Fuck yeah.

Yesterday's food was a coffee, a ham steak, a hotdog, and a cup of milk mixed with heavy cream.

Today's food, thus far, has been about two cans of tuna and a bunch of cherry tomatoes and cucumbers. Dinner's going to be some chicken thing at a friend's.

Only "cheat" so far is using a flavoured creamer (some Irish Cream thing) in my coffee yesterday.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Practice was tonight. Got in lots of running, fighting, and playing.

Food: Cooked my first steak, it came out delicious. Had a little bit of avacado. Then some fried fish and decaf coffee for dinner.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Great to see your progress, keep rolling!

You probably have answered this for yourself already but if you're still looking for a quick meat meal my suggestion is either tilapia filets or chicken breasts. You can get both at Costco or your grocery store for cheap. Just pull them out and wash them, heat your pan then put olive oil in. When the oil is hot, season the chicken with whatever you want and put it seasoning side down. Season the other side. Cook approx 5-8 minutes on each side depending on the size.

Costco has a set of 12 or maybe 16 breast fillets that come 2 to a pack. They're little pouches so you just rip one off and cook it. I usually eat one for dinner and then take the other to work for lunch or put it, cut up, on a salad. Hope this helps! Grok on!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I've started eating a lot more chicken breasts, and I'm experimenting with tuna steaks right now. Both cook pretty fast, but I still need to find the right balance of spices for the tuna.

Other progress: Since jumping back into primal with the challenge, I've definitely noticed some chances. My face is less puffy, my gut hurts less, I sleep better, etc.

Going along with the post about listening to our bodies: Yeah, last night, I was up until five in the morning. Did not feel good. Fuck missing sleep. I can't stand the pressure/pain behind my eyes when I start getting into sleep deprivation territory. Today, my head is hurting. Pretty sure it's dehydration/hunger, so I'm drinking lots of water and nibbling on tuna steaks. Probably going to make another steak to finish off this hunger.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Been eating delicious meats and veggies, with some coffee.

Tonight's is pork chops, cooked in butter, and seasoned with garlic and onion powder, plus seasoned salt. Pretty delicious. This is my first time cooking chops on the stove top, rather than in a George Foreman grill. It's so much more delicious this way.

Been getting some heavy lifting in by moving furniture around the house (got a new dining room table and hutch for $150).

Also got myself a pair of water shoes today. So I can start walking around in the cooler weather without freezing my feet off. Booyah!

My Primal Journal

Comment

Had more pork chops tonight, cooked in olive oil. Housemates appreciated the deliciousness.

Went for a two hour walk in the new water shoes. Need to wear socks next time, to avoid the little bit of slippage that's there (fuck you blisters).

And going to make yogurt tonight as soon as the crockpot is clean.

As for success: Today I fit into my 34 jeans with no discomfort (normally I wear 36s). Even after eating, which normally gives me enough bloating to get them painfully tight (I've had to open the button a few times). So, fuck you fat.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Cheated last night. Two slices of pizza, some potato chips, and a handful of popcorn. It was game night, and I forgot my steak at home. Probably should have just IFed instead of eating. Meh. I'll remember to do that next time.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Today is off to a good start. Woke up at 8:15 without an alarm. Meant to wake up at 9, and almost went back to sleep, but I decided to listen to my body (waking up without an alarm, rested and refreshed), and I got up. Went for an hour and a half walk with a cup of coffee (a large dark roast with a teaspoon of sugar).

Got about half an hour out, decided to turn around, and spotted a road that sounded familiar. I decided to explore, and started to follow the road. Got myself a nice walk around a lake, with some beautiful houses and nature sights. Turns out that I did recognize the road, and it connected to another road in town that I drive and walk on a lot. Followed it through town and back home.

Plans for food tonight? Some homemade Greek yogurt and some steak for dinner tonight. Along with some veggies later in the day. Possibly some lightly cooked Chinese as well.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Food for today: An apple. A few cups of decaf coffee, and one cup of regular coffee. A small steak.

Normally I wouldn't drink more than one or two cups of coffee in a day, but my aeropress coffee maker came in this morning.

My Primal Journal

Comment

It's been a while. Some stuff's happened. I bought a house. I rocked the primal thing. My house was burned down (arson). I ate crap that was available while I couch surfed. I gained weight. Now I'm back.

Lost most of my resources. Almost out of money, no reliable access to fruits and veggies. But I can afford to get some meat for myself.

I mostly eat fish and chicken now. Beef when I can get it. Occasionally pork chops.

I take some multivitamins to help cover the lack of fruits and veggies. Once I get more income again I'll phase in the plant matter.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X