Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overweight, High Cholesterol, Athlete - My Journal

Hello all,

I have been sort of easing into a primal/paleo and i learn more about it. My official 80% start day is tomorrow.

I am
    6'2" 35 years old 207 pounds, would like to see 170-175

I am getting a cholesterol test done on Wednesday and will post the results, but I get the feeling it's going to be bad. I will do a follow up 6 week cholesterol

I exercise 5 days a week via cycling. about 15 hours a week worth.

PLEASE help me if you read this and comment on my eating. I for one am NOT going to test the waters of saturated fat. This is my basic meal plan.

healthy fats will rotate between flax oil, avacado and fishoil.

Breakfast, lunch, dinner: 300 calories lean meat, 200 calories healthy fat

all the veggies and fruits i can eat.

for exercise I will be drinking diluted apple juice for caloric requirements of my exercise.

I currently am doing this exercise already, not just jumping into 15 hours a week of exercise.

I am reading the book now and will adjust exercise after I get my diet keyed in.

Please comment away, go easy, I'm new.
    ------
    EDIT, i am immeditely removing the intraworkout apple juice and replacing it with preworkout fats.
    -----
    7/22
    been doing well, eating more animal fats than i had planned. having difficulty with my cycling workouts but keeping heart rate under 75%.
    typical day:
    breakfast: omega 3 eggs, turkey bacon, a piece of fruit
    lunch: shrimp, avacado, salad with olive oil dressing
    dinner: piece of meat,chicken or fish, with extra oil added where needed, piece of fruit and veggies

i'm down 5 pound.. and have been tired.
    Last edited by WTFOMGBBQ; 07-22-2010, 10:03 AM.

ALSO I will be eliminating my 4-5 cup of coffee a day habit and by 2-3 beer a night habit.

Comment

Saturated fat is key. If you don't eat it, you're not doing Primal.
      Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

I dunno, seems like a diet. We don't diet around here. We're more "a hunk of this" and a "slab of that" types. You'll see change plenty just by losing those 3 beers a day. Eat only when you're hungry (which is harder than it seems!), keep moving, and it'll happen. And go outside and play. Welcome to the tribe.
        "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

I'm not ready to go down the saturated fat path yet. I'm going to go super high omega 3 for my first 6 weeks to see what my cholesterol does then introduce saturated fats as i build confidence in the plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
            Saturated fat is key. If you don't eat it, you're not doing Primal.
            Just not that brave yet. will likely add in 6 weeks.

Comment

I would cut way back on the cycling the first week - just keep your time on the bike slow and easy. You will want to transition away from needing to burn carbs to being a fat burner. Intense prolonged exercise will deplete your glycogen stores and you will need to refuel with carbs to keep going (or you will bonk), interfering with the process of switching on your fat-burner genes. Especially this first week, less is more when it comes to exercise. Keep your workouts on the bike down to what you can accomplish without having to refuel with carbs (even fruit) while doing it. Welcome aboard! You are in for a wonderful journey!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFOMGBBQ View Post
                Just not that brave yet. will likely add in 6 weeks.
                Then in six weeks, you'll see some success. Until then, probably not.
                Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
                  Then in six weeks, you'll see some success. Until then, probably not.
                  so eating lots of healthy fats and loads of fruits and veggies at a caloric deficit won't improve cholesterol and weight loss?

Comment

saturated fat is a healthy fat. You could start by using really good quality butter and coconut oil. I agree about the chronic cardio.
                    My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

I know it is a complete mind-bender, but you really have to leave behind all the CW about how to lose weight. CW says saturated fats are unhealthy - PB says saturated fats from clean sources (ie organic or grassfed animals, coconuts) IS healthy. CW says the healthiest fats are unsaturated vegetable oils - PB says these are the most unstable, easily oxidized and damaging for the body. CW says eat less and exercise more to create a calorie deficit to lose weight - PB says eat way fewer carbs and exercise only enough to tirgger muscle and functional gain and just generally keep the body in some kind of easy movement for best effects on fat burning metabolism. Don't worry about counting calories, worry about counting carbs, even from healthy sources. Eat plenty of fat for satiety and optimal absorption of fat soluble vitamins. CW says you have to work hard to lose weight, exercise willpower, exercise a lot to burn off calories, deny yourself food when you are hungry, obey the calorie count not your body's needs, and just keep WORKING at it! This amounts to a whole lot of stress, which just increases cortisol which breaks down muscle and dumps glucose into the bloodstream, counteracting all your efforts to burn off more fat. PB says satisfy your hunger, get lots of rest and sleep, play, take it easy most of the time and subject yourself only to brief, intense periods of stressful exercise (sprinting or heavy resistance) 2-3 times a week. Do everything you can to increase happiness, enjoyment, relaxation, easy movement and activity, and sleep to rest the adrenals and allow your body to recompose itself into a healthy, fit, muscular state of being.

It is scary to trust this plan since we have all been programmed by CW to feel like we are going to end up fatter, with clogged arteries and an early grave if we go against what they have been telling us. Please, go read the success stories and view the before and after pictures on this site to give yourself the courage to embrace the whole plan - including eating butter on your veggies, the skin of chicken, and the tasty fat on your steaks or chops!

Comment

So by dipping my toe into the water of going away from a more standard american diet and experimenting with a high fat/protein low carb, all natural sources diet, and not moving directly into eating high fat meats, i'm not doing myself any good?

I won't lose weight and lower cholesterol, based up me staying away from high fat meats until i am more comfortable with the plan?

Comment

If you can truly eat a high fat diet while avoiding polyunsaturated veg oils as well as saturated fats from meat, eggs, butter, and coconut oil, you probably will experience weight loss. You can substitute olive oil for butter for adding fat to vegetables, salads, and sauces. You can eat lots of avocados. There are a number of people on the forum who are primal but are keeping their saturated fat levels purposely lower than many here do. But you may find it is difficult to really eat a high fat diet while eating only lean protein sources.

The other thing you mention is your plan to eat high fat AND high protein. For weight loss, high fat, moderate protein works best. Any protein you eat above and beyond what your body requires for structural maintenance and repair is converted to SUGARS, so is equivalent to eating carbs. There is no storage depot for excess proteins like our fat storage, so what isn't needed immediately to create enzymes and repair muscles and organs is just burned as sugar. There are web sites where you can calculate approx high many grams of protein you need based on ht, wt, and build. Add in a few more after very intense workouts. Any more than that will work against your weight loss effort.

I am sure you will realize health benefits from cutting out processed foods, lowering carbs, and eliminating grains. HUGE ones. Everybody here is an experiment of one. We all benefit from hearing about others experiences and results. As they say in AA, take what you like and leave the rest. We are trying to be helpful, not judgmental. Start out in whatever way feels right to you, see how it works, how you feel, and keep us posted!

Comment

Hey Barb, thanks for the coaching.

Basically I will get my fats to keep my omega 3/6 ratio correct. Hemp seed and fish oil will be primary sources. cholesterol check at 6 weeks. At that point I wager I see an improvement and i will convert my dinner to a saturated fat based meal. retest, repeat. I will post weekly logs on my results

My hope is to eventually go crazy on saturated fats, but I'm going to go into that slow, testing every 6 weeks.

I guess I just don't like to go all the way on the first date...

Comment

It seems to me that you are probably already in very good shape. So your plans are a matter of degree, not trying to correct a real deficit in health or condition.

That said, I'd view apple juice as an exercise calorie source with great suspicion. Two things: caloric beverages tend to put on weight, because one's body doesn't gauge very well how much it has taken in. Plus, you can gulp down a lot of calories in a concentrated instantly available form very quickly, giving you an insulin spike.

Second, apple juice is quite high in fructose. You might enjoy this interview on Dr. Mercola's site, talking about the newly discovered science relating to fructose and uric acid and Syndrome X. If you want to eat apples, you should eat them whole, in my opinion.
                              http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...y-18-2010.aspx

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X