Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Journal MrsPih1024

Day One:
    Ah, there it is AGAIN. DAY ONE Day ONE of losing weight... I'm tired.
    This time, it's not the weight that I'm going after, but my skin.
    I used to get breakouts every now and then when I was younger, but starting just a few years ago- I started getting adult cystic acne. I have done and tried everything- except really sticking to a food plan for it.
    I had gone 30 days without gluten and had some ppl comment on my skin, but I wasn't sure if it was the antibiotics I was on, or the gluten free.
    I was raw for about a month and I was GLOWING. I want that back! That glow!!!

So, I'm focusing on certain things here...

For 90 days, I will be 100% Gluten Free.
    If I DO eat any grains, they will be few and far between and gluten free-- like brown rice with sushi other than that- 0 grains.

For 90 days, I will be 100% Dairy Free (except for butter and some yogurt)

For 90 days, alcohol free (except for my birthday).

I will abstain from sugar (usually this isn't a problem for me, but lately I have been craving sweets for some reason)

My meals will focus on raw vegetables.
    I'm not a big fruit eater, but I feel apples are okay for me.

I will not get hung up on organic, grass fed etc. It will be my priority to eat organic and sustainable meats, however, sometimes when it isn't available I end up eating the REALLY WRONG THING... so I want to work on that.

90 days people! 90 days!!!

I will enjoy myself on my birthday, but I'm already deciding that I want to go to a Japanese restaurant. So I will have alcohol, but that's really it.

My goal this week Tuesday to Tuesday

No gluten

No dairy (well starting right now, I had leftover greek salad that had feta in it)

No alcohol

No grains.

Starting weight -- 172-174

Acne: Really bad
    Stats: 5' 4 1/2"
    Been on an off PB.
    March 10th-- starting PB combined with WW (no comments from the peanut gallery!)
    Current weight (March 10): 169 lbs
    Goal weight: 135

Planned 5Ks
    April 10th, May 29th

Philly Tri (First time Tri!) June 25

Journal

good luck! You can do it! I didn't have bad acne, but for some reason eating this primal way has completely taken mine away in just a few days.

Comment

Good luck! I've noticed an improvement in my skin. I've never had really bad acne but I was surprised that I didn't break out at all last week when I had my monthly visit from Mother Nature. I usually do. Stick with it and your skin will definitely improve.

Comment

Originally posted by LemonFreshScent View Post
        good luck! You can do it! I didn't have bad acne, but for some reason eating this primal way has completely taken mine away in just a few days.
        Thanks so much for the encouragement! I didn't even know that other people really read these things... haha.

Thanks!
        Been on an off PB.
        March 10th-- starting PB combined with WW (no comments from the peanut gallery!)

Planned 5Ks
        April 10th, May 29th

Journal

Comment

I have read that for some it helps, and others it doesn't make a difference.
          I have to say though, just one day in and my skin feels better. Usually by the end of the day it feels painful and itchy in some spots. This kind of makes me feel that it has something to do with allergies--- inflammation.

I'm hoping!!!
          Been on an off PB.

Planned 5Ks
          April 10th, May 29th

Journal

Comment

Day 1: July 6th

*** Thanks "Shepherd" I really liked your idea of going through all the principles each day.

1. Eat lots of animals, insects and plants.
            I didn't eat breakfast. I just wasn't hungry. I slept in a bit coming into work about an hour late, which was nice.
            Coffee with coconut milk and sugar/stevia combo.

Lunch: Leftover greek salad from the 4th- Cucumbers, Chick peas, onions, tomatoes, a little feta, and dressing. This was the last of the dairy. It was already in the salad.

Dinner: Top Sirloin Steak (I didn't weigh it)-- I'm trying to get better at this at least to start. I'm thinking it was about 6 oz. It was about the size of my palm (not including fingers), but pretty thick.
            Butter on the steak!
            Fresh Steamed Green Beans, with butter
            Salad- mixed greens including raddichio, tomatoes, persian cucumbers, onion. Macadamia oil, acv, and very little greek creamy dressing.

Food Thoughts: I felt good yesterday. I was never hungry after I ate. I was very satisfied. It felt great to eat all those veggies. I know my body needs it!
            I don't know why, but I'm so paranoid about eating the wrong thing. I don't remember that I was always like this, except for when I did Atkins.
            When I was on Atkins, I had NIGHTMARES about eating entire loaves of cornbread. It was crazy.

Now, I'm just always worried that I slipped up somewhere. It's this thought process that causes me so much stress! Which I know is not good.
            I think that next week I'm going to make it one of my goals to find more "relaxation" type of activities. I would really love to get back into yoga. For a while there, I was going all the time. And it was great. For this week though, I'm just focusing on the food and resting.

2. Move around a lot at a slow pace.
            Hm, not really.

3. Lift heavy things.
            Not unless you include my carrying the vacuum upstairs (it is really heavy).

4. Run really fast every once in a while.
            Nope.

5. Get lots of sleep.
            This usually isn't a problem for me. I probably fell asleep around 10:45- after reading. (another thing I would like to do more of)
            7 hours 15 min of sleep. (haha, I usually get at least 8!)

6. Play.
            Nada.

7. Get some sunlight every day.
            I actually did go outside at lunch. And good thing I'm going through this. I'm going to make sure I take my 2- 10 min breaks today and go outside during lunch.

8. Avoid trauma.
            No injuries today.

9. Avoid poisonous things.
            I avoided poisonous things.

10. Use your mind.
            I read before going to sleep.

End of day 1 sum-up: I felt good yesterday. A little tired from the heat- I just don't take to heat very well.

One thing I really proud of- I went food shopping yesterday and bought all this beautiful nutritious. This is not rare, but what is rare is the fact that I really stuck to my plan of making my lunch(es). I cooked up some delicious chicken. And made more greek salad (without chickpeas).
            And now I have lunch. My plan was to make enough to last until Friday, but it is possible that I will eat all the veg today.
            Last edited by MrsPih1024; 07-07-2010, 04:49 AM.
            Been on an off PB.

Planned 5Ks
            April 10th, May 29th

Journal

Comment

Originally posted by MrsPih1024 View Post
              Day One:
              Ah, there it is AGAIN. DAY ONE Day ONE of losing weight... I'm tired.
              This time, it's not the weight that I'm going after, but my skin.
              I used to get breakouts every now and then when I was younger, but starting just a few years ago- I started getting adult cystic acne. I have done and tried everything- except really sticking to a food plan for it.
              I had gone 30 days without gluten and had some ppl comment on my skin, but I wasn't sure if it was the antibiotics I was on, or the gluten free.
              I was raw for about a month and I was GLOWING.

*katherine jumps up and down like a crazy person....arm in the air*

ooh ooh! Call on me! I can help!

I too had the raw super glow and it's one reason I've stuck with so much produce over time....that and the fact that it does help reduce UV damage that causes aging.

Anyhood, the acne is typically a combination of zinc deficiency, vitamin D deficiency and inflammation. The inflammation generally reduced with sufficient D and of course eliminating grains. Meat/eggs are inflammatory but sufficient produce will balance that out nicely.

Personally, I do use an rx retinoid Every Single Day. Nothing is more effective at reducing signs of photoaging over time. Nothing.

And in terms of preventing photoaging over time? High PPD European sunscreen. It's worth having a look at makeupalley.com and signing up for an account. Once you're signed up, you can see my notepad (cillakat - though I'll give you my direct link as well) and the notepads belonging to Beethovengirl (beethovengirl, sunscreens, sunscreendata) and Tetrakis (Tetrakis and Retinoids).

If you're not interested in slogging through all of the info, I can give you recommendations - it'll always start with *rx* retinoids (acne and photoaging) high ppd sunscreen and ascorbic acid serum.

Do you have any symptoms of PCOS?

What are you doing for your skin rightnow?

Do you even want to talk about this? lol

Let me know

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Acne

Hi Cillakat!
                I was actually going through your links yesterday b/c I searched acne on this forum and came across your posts.

Yes, I WOULD like your help!!! So, thank you very much.

Here is where I am at now....

I got married in October (2009) and about 4 months or so before the wedding I finally went to the dermatologist b/c I went off birth control (I had changed to Yasmin and it was not only making me absolutely batshit crazy, but my skin broke out EVEN more).
                He prescribed me- Doryx (oral antibiotic), which worked. Although my skin was still not 100% clear. I still had some bumps, but the cysts were gone by my wedding (thank god)
                Also, Retin A microgel (which works better for me than the regular ol retin a that is clear gel.
                THEN, he added Acanya, which is a topical antibiotic.

I stopped taking the Doryx in November when I went to Costa Rica b/c it makes you very sensitive to the sun. I didn't use retin a while I was there either, all in all my skin looked pretty good in CR.

Then the breakouts started again--- I started taking the doryx again for a couple months, which works---
                but I KNOW how bad the antibiotics are to be on long term but I was desperate.

So, now I'm just washing my face with Dove sensitive skin soap. that seem to get any makeup off, if I'm wearing any (which lately I have really not been wearing any to heal my skin)...
                I haven't really been mosturizing--- I have cetaphil, but that makes my skin feel irritated. Pretty much everything makes it feel irritated.

Using retin A, at night.
                Acanya in the morning.

Sometimes I moisturize with coconut oil at night, which really seems to pull some stuff to the surface of my skin.

Food wise, I am basically eating as much raw veggies and some fruit (usually just an apple a day) as I can. No dairy. No grains.

I feel good. I can say that much. And another thing that is good, is that my IBS seems to be a lot better. I have been "regular" the last three days, which three days in a row? That is a serious big deal.

So, your recommendations???
                I don't have a ton of money to put out right now, so if there is something I can do today... and then add the following week, etc. That would be great.

Thanks for your help!! I really appreciate it!
                Been on an off PB.

Planned 5Ks
                April 10th, May 29th

Journal

Comment

Day 3:
                  Feeling of the day... Encouragement!
                  When I started this, I didn't weight myself. I was honestly afraid to.
                  So this morning, I got up the courage to step on the scale, and holy snotballs batman... I was below 170!!!!! 169.5, but hey below 170!!!!!
                  I'm not going to weigh myself again until July 29th. I'm waiting that long, b/c I refuse to weigh myself when I have my TOM...
                  I guess a really good thing is that I'm about 8 days away from TOM and yet I'm not feeling overly hungry or horrible cravings or anything like that. So that is VERY good.

Food yesterday for July 7th.

Breakfast:
                  Coffee - black
                  Apple - Pink Lady
                  2 oz chicken Tenderloin
                  This was a pretty good breakfast! Eating something light was good, although my 1130, my stomach was really growling.

Lunch:
                  4 oz chicken tenderloin
                  zuchini, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, in macadamia oil and apple cider vinegar.
                  This was YUMMY!

Snack--- when I got home I wanted a snack. Something savory.
                  I had some fat free refried beans, so I ate 1/2 cup with 1 tbs butter added. This was really yummy too. Normally, I would add hot sauce like it is going out of style, but I think that when I use hot sauce (as much as I love it) it makes me want to eat more.

Dinner:
                  Salad- superfresh corn off the cob (raw), tomato, scallions, avocado, macadamia nut oil, lime juice and acv.
                  Shrimp- just some shrimp cocktail. Hmmm, guess the ketchup wasn't the best choice. I'll remember that for next time and make my own.
                  I ate about 5.

--- I was feeling "paranoidy" last night that I had messed up... I think I feel this way b/c I'm worried this is not going to work.
                  I have to remind my self..... look at all the gorgeous, nutritious, raw fruits and veggies you are eating!!!

I'm glad I am keeping this journal I think this will be really good for me.
                  Been on an off PB.

Planned 5Ks
                  April 10th, May 29th

Journal

Comment

Goals to remember for next week:
                    Movement--- do at least one yoga class (preferably a hot yoga class)
                    Wedding thank you cards
                    Wedding photos
                    Wedding album.
                    Been on an off PB.

Planned 5Ks
                    April 10th, May 29th

Journal

Comment

Well, the weekend STARTED well.

Thursday night we went to the Brew PUb and I order a 21 day dry aged burger sans bun, side salad... did not drink!
                      I DID forget that I was done with dairy and there was cheese on the burger. opps.

Friday- Tried steak tartare for the first time and it was AMAZING. So so yummy.
                      Dinner on Friday, we took a friend from Cali to a Tapas place and I ate some "grains"- a breadcrumbed kofta - a 1/2. a bite of empanada.
                      Drank Sangria... and then later a beer.

Saturday- ate nothing until dinner at 430--- so, at this point, not sure that IF would be right for me. I have too many food issues.
                      After my unintentional "fast"- I had a good primal dinner with pork tenderloin, tomato salad, and sweet potatoes, and grilled zucchini.
                      And then frozen yogurt---- it has pro-biotics though! But sugar too boo. added fruit to that, with some honey and coconut oil.
                      I had 3 beers. Ate wings a little later.

Sunday-
                      brunch --- easy to be primal at this place we went to--- steak omelet, veggies.oysters! drank a bloody mary

the rest of day------ drinking on the boat, it was crystal light with vodka, which bad fake stuff, but no sugar, but then again... alot of alcohol.

Monday----

Today I feel like crap. I know the all day drink fest is to blame. I'm counting down the hours until I go home.

Food today:
                      coffee- black
                      water water and more water

eggs
                      turkey sausage

Dinner- not sure yet, but definitely will be primal.

I think all in all this weekend was pretty good. It was better than how it usually goes where I order crap, eat crap and feel like crap.

I feel that for the most part I made good choices, except when I didn't make the best choices... like the alcohol.
                      Been on an off PB.

Planned 5Ks
                      April 10th, May 29th

Journal

Comment

Originally posted by MrsPih1024 View Post
                        Then the breakouts started again--- I started taking the doryx again for a couple months, which works---
                        but I KNOW how bad the antibiotics are to be on long term but I was desperate.
                        all acne is a combination of:
                        inflammation
                        immunity issues
                        hormonal issues

All of it. All three factors interact....some are affected by one factor more than other.

The fact that your acne cleared with the abx means that there is a significant immune component. How much D and zinc are you getting?

I have cetaphil, but that makes my skin feel irritated. Pretty much everything makes it feel irritated.
                        Inflammation and nutrition. Could the cetaphil irritation just be from the normal tretinoin inflammation/TEWL? how often do you use your tretinoin? how, specifically do you use it? on it's own, it doesn't wound like it's controlling your breakouts?

Let's look some more at the zinc thing as well and produce/antioxidants.

Using retin A, at night.
                        Acanya in the morning.
                        What happens if you drop the acanya? Have you tried azelex in the am? (azelaic acid) What about tazartotene/tazorac/avage instead of tretinoin? I find it much more effective but some with higher levels of testosterone/aldosterone and thicker/oiler skin than mine find that plain tretinoin gel works the best - ie better than cream forms of tretinoin and better than either the cream or gel form of tazorac. But taz is generally considered the strongest retinoid. I looooove it.

Food wise, I am basically eating as much raw veggies and some fruit (usually just an apple a day) as I can. No dairy. No grains.
                        can we skip the apple and instead do a serving of berries? If berries aren't in the budget, I'd honestly skip the apple unless it's a helpful 'sweet' to keep you from feeling deprived...there's nothing in an apple you can't get from dark and bright veggies

I think you'll find that cooked veggies will be very helpful too. Especially kale, broccoli, dulse.

Fwiw, I order my retinoids from india. Yes, shipping is $27. But my taz is $4 per tube.....$12 for the amount I'd pay $137-$180 for from a US pharmacy. I just get together with friends and split the order.....perhaps your insurance is covering your meds though?

Anyhoo, after tracking you zinc and D for a bit (nutritiondata.com gives better data than fitday), you may find you need some zinc and you'll definitely find that you need some D

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Thanks Cillakat!
                          I'll start with the vitamin D and the zinc. I know I have to be deficient in Vitamin D. I sit in the office all day.

I actually just ran out of my acanya, so I'll stop using it for a while.
                          Right now, my skin actually looks and feels better than it has in a while. We were out on the boat all day on Sunday in the sun and I think that it really helped, which makes me really think more about the vitamin D.

As far as the apple goes, why are saying to drop that and add berries? Just curious.
                          I don't eat an apple everyday, it depends on my mood. Sometimes it's something quick that keeps me from eating some other type of wrong thing.

I love berries and eat them when I can, but I'll work on eating more of them.

Thanks again for your help!
                          Been on an off PB.

Planned 5Ks
                          April 10th, May 29th

Journal

Comment

July 13th

Yesterday I felt so tired, I couldn't wait to go home and rest.
                            Food was good----

Breakfast- scrambled eggs and 2 links of turkey sausage (bought from the work cafe- that sausage was good)

Lunch- instant miso soup - probably not the best thing, but hey I was broke and it was better than buying a bag a chips or somethng!

Dinner- pan roasted brussel sprouts with garlic, and bacon. these were so good!
                            Salmon poached in butter.

Snack---- I was hungry after work, probably b/c TOM is coming tomorrow and I always get hungry....

A very small handful of special dark chocolate chips
                            Apple with coconut butter. I love coconut butter, its like Manna really. It has to be the most delicious thing I have ever tasted.

I'm doing pretty well with the whole dairy free thing, save for the couple of mishaps over the weekend.
                            Grains- good! cept for those beers!

My goal tonight---- finish those thank you cards from the wedding!!!!
                            Been on an off PB.

Planned 5Ks
                            April 10th, May 29th

Journal

Comment

July 14th.

I’ve been pretty lazy this week. I haven’t felt like going to gym, walking, NOTHING.

I’m really ok with that. I know that my motivation will come back. But for now, I just feel like I need to rest. And hmmmm, I KNOW there is a pattern with this.

Alcohol. I haven’t had any during this week, but from drinking on the boat all day Sunday- it really left me worn out and feeling like crap on Monday. It seems like I really have such a hard time bouncing back to normal after something like that.
                              Oh and plus TOM is coming --- should be tomorrow—which I am usually tired around that time, which perfect storm.

Eating wise, I have been doing well and feeling great about it.
                              I have been satisfied when eating. I don’t feel restricted at all.
                              At night, I have been finding myself doing some “self talk” to make sure I don’t dig into ice cream, chips, etc. And so far so good!

Thank god for pickles! I have been wanting salty, crunchy things (normally I would go for the salt and vinegar chips)--- the pickles have been a lifesaver.

It makes me feel good that I have not been just giving in. Saying, Eff- it I’ll start over tomorrow. I’m proud of myself.

I need to go food shopping after work today. We really have nothing left in the house. Which is why veggies have been low the past couple of days.

I have been keeping my carb count under 50, which is great! (okay its been 2 days, but yay!)

I was thinking yesterday how I would like to get to the point where I eat only b/w 2 pm and 8pm.
                              Then I woke up this morning, starving. I don’t know if I can make it to 830 like I normally do.
                              All in due time.

Food yesterday:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, bacon
                              Lunch- canned yellow fin tuna in olive oil (I thought I bought the kind in water- this one was actually pretty good)
                              Dinner- Mahi Mahi with a light dusting of cornstarch, cooked in butter, lemon juice
                              Asparagus with butter
                              Cucumber and green onions with macadamia oil and ACV.

Oh and Pickles. Hehe

Movement—none really unless you count bowling on the wii.

Oh and STILL did not finish the thank you cards from the wedding. ugh! I HAVE to get them done. I mean come on I only had 30 guests!
                              Been on an off PB.

Planned 5Ks
                              April 10th, May 29th

Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X