Primal Challenge Journal (agent81)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Challenge Journal (agent81)

A little background for those who are interested - currently 27 orbits around the sun 6'4" and 289lbs last I checked. I have been getting healthier since the spring(was over 300lbs) and have lost over 6% bodyfat just weight-training 3 days a week and eating 6 times a day. I have been overweight for most of my life, which was rough at times but I was always able to truly appreciate the power of a good pizza - and in that sense I lived like a king

My ideal scale weight was always 225 and after a couple years in AZ at college I found myself there, eating mostly vending-machine food and walking 3+ miles a day with about 100lbs of gear on my back. Unfortunately at 225 I still looked the same to myself in the mirror(learning what body dysmorphic disorder was after) and as I happily gained all the weight back I found myself sick all. the. time.

I got a good job with my newfangled degree, married the girl I loved and being lucky enough to truly appreciate how good the life in North America can be I was quickly lost in the world of paychecks and ice-cream. One can only go so far getting sick every few months before it starts getting old. All my blood tests, allergy tests, cardiogram stuff were ok, I was "overweight" but that didn't make me sick before, so why now? The doctors, although some were very nice people, were of no help to me because I didn't fit into the diagnosis diagram. Bummer.

So I had to become my own Obi-Wan Kenobi and get my lazy butt some answers. Luckily I had been long developing a relationship with the internet and it wasn't long before I realized how many things I had been doing WRONG! Everything from stretching to walking - yes I had been walking incorrectly for almost all of my time upright. I quickly fell in love with research and ended up restructuring my entire thought process and ultimately my view of the world. I haven't been sick yet this year.

Long story longer, but luckily up to date soon I found this guy talking about how a LOT of people are doing things wrong(just like me) and he has changed his life for the better by doing this differently. Not a new different - an old different, a different before the paychecks and ice-cream. A bunch of other people say it works, but just about everything "works" it's whether or not it works for me(you) that matters! The only way for me to tell for sure is....

08/03/09 Day One

B: protein shake

S: beef jerky, almonds, dried cranberries

L: oven roasted chicken breast salad no dressing

S: protein shake

D: turkey jerky, organic sunflower seeds(no salt)

WOD: 30 minutes Circuit training

08/04/09 Day Two

NOTE: awoke very tired and sore, definitely did not get enough protein yesterday. Adjusted accordingly.

B: 2 slices bacon, 1 egg, protein shake 1 cup kenyan coffee

L: chicken breast salad

D: chicken breast salad

WOD: 2.75 mile walk

Comment

Make sure you're getting enough fat, agent81. I'd hate to see you burn out from not getting enough calories. Congrats on taking on the 30-day challenge. Just keep plugging away and the weight will come off. Grok on!

Comment

08/05/09 Day Three

NOTE:added protein made a big difference, still need more (202+ grams!) need to fall asleep much earlier too

B: 2 strips bacon, 1 egg, protein shake, 1 cup coffee

L: chicken breast salad(2 chicken breasts, lettuce,green peppers, cucumber, onion, jalapeno, + bell peppers)

D: turkey jerky, almonds, sunflower seeds

WOD: 30 minute circuit training(side planks are brutal)

Comment

I agree with Mark here; it almost looks like you're on a PSMF. I'd add a little more fat in there. Other than that, good things. Your story sounds almost identical to mine. We're the same height too.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I work out of state M/T/W so it's a bit harder to get everything I need. What would you suggest for extra fats that I can get while on the road? Are the nuts enough?

Also, what's a PSMF?

08/06/09 Day Four

NOTE: slept quite well last night, picked up some omega 3s and vitamins on the way home

B: 2 slices bacon, 1 egg, protein shake

L: sweet potato, mushrooms, quorn, green peppers

D: quorn salad with sunflower seeds, cashews, green/orange peppers, carrots

WOD: high energy house chores =)

Comment

08/07/09*Day*Five

NOTE:*driving*out*of*state*for*the*weekend*with*th e*wife, normally this would be one of those times where it would be MUCH easier to slide back but we made the 7 hour car trip to the less than clean hotel =)

S:*protein*shake

B:*2*egg*omlette*with*green*peppers,*onions

L:*fake*turkey*salad

S:*protein*shake*and*red*grapes

D: almonds, cashews

WOD: 30 minute circuit training

Comment

08/08/09*Day*six

S:*protein*shake

B:*3*scrambled*eggs*watermelon,*pineapple

S:*almonds,*pecans

L:*hamburger*no*bread,*salad

D:*11oz*of*delicious*steak, veggies,*salad*unsweetened*iced*t

WOD: 20 minutes play

Comment

08/09/09 Day Seven

weight 274

NOTE: managed to eat the right stuff through a 3 day road trip with 16+ hours on the road. also learned how many carbs are in a fruit cup and nearly pooped my pants.

S: coffee black

B: scrambled eggs 4 sausage links mixed fruit = big ass breakfast

L: fruit cup

D: chicken caesar salad

WOD: and on the seventh day, the homeboy he did rest

Comment

08/10/09 Day Eight

NOTE: not enough protein over the weekend, my body is demanding more!

B: 2 egg omelette with green peppers and onions

L: 12 oz sirloin veggie side unsweetened iced t

D: protein shake

WOD: 30 minute circuit training

Comment

08/11/09 Day Nine

NOTE: totally not hungry for the rest of the day after the huge steak, also more difficult to do circuit training even 3 hours after eating steak

B: 2 egg omelette with green peppers and onions and organic salsa

L: kitchen sink veggie stew w/ quorn

D: quorn salad

WOD: 20 minutes play

Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08/12/09 Day Ten

NOTE: extremely tired all day, hoping this is the groggy thing everyone is talking about during the transition - I haven't felt anything like it yet. My bodybuilding friend has me concerned about muscle loss

B: mix of nuts and sunflower seeds

L: 2 pieces chicken breast and veggies

D: chicken breast salad with mixed nuts

S: mixed nuts

WOD: rest

Comment

Ok, so lets break it down...I'm assuming chicken breast means one whole breast (avg 4-5oz raw). 3 of those will yield you ~400 calories, ~4g fat, ~82g Protein. I'm going to assume 3 servings of raw almonds (roughly 80 nuts), ~495 calories, ~45 g fat and ~18g protein. Any green veggie are not even worth counting towards calories seeing as once the body has processed them they acctually contribut very little in the form of carbs (Still very important because of the vitimins and minerals). Lastly the 2 protein shakes, I'm gonna assume low to zero carb and little to no fat so lets say 30g protein per shake...thats an additonal 240 calories.

At the end of yesterday you consumed:

Calories: 1135

Protein: 160g

Carbs: green carbs don't count

Fat: 49g

Lets assume at 274 your body fat has dropped to 25%

thats ~205 Lbs of lean body mass. Thats mass you want to keep. that means your BMR is roughly 1650 calories (thats what you need to consume to maintain your current weight if you lay still in bed for 24 hours a day). I will now assume a moderate level of activity (3-5 sessions of moderate excercise) That now puts your BMR at 2560 (at least, i know you excercise hard). For healthy weight loss you should never reduce you calories by more than 500 of your BMR. If you reduce more than that, you will lose more weight, but you will start to lose muscle tissue and you will start to slow your metabolism... Basically what I'm saying is you need to eat more! You also need to incorporate free weights into your program. You need to give you body a reason to keep the muscle while dieting. If you don't it will basically say "oh we are getting less calories and we are lifting less weight so lets get rid of this excess meat". Resistance band training is not the same as free weights. It will build up power and endurance but is not great for strength. It is an excellent supllemt to free weight training and it def has a place in any workout routine.

Take aways:

-do some heavy lifting

-eat 2000 calories a day

-eat all the green carbs you want, they are good.

-eat a minimum of 1.25g protein per pound of lean body weight (at least 250 for you).

Comment

oh and stop eating jerky! It is loaded with sodium (salt) and that is unhealthy as hell makes you hold more water (bloat) which raises your blood pressure...you know why thats bad

Comment

Thanks Fisch! I ate a lot more today and feel better. I don't think my bodyfat has gone under 30% yet if that makes any difference.

08/13/09 Day Eleven

NOTE: still tired this morning....... a little nervous, have to keep an eye on total caloric intake now.....maybe not getting enough carbs?

B: 4 strips of bacon 2 eggs cup of coffee black

S: mixed nuts

L: 1 piece chicken breast and veggies + mixed fruit

D: 1 piece chicken breast and veggies + mixed fruit

S: cheap diced steak 2 slices provalone and onions

WOD: rest

Comment

Working...
                              X