Annie Ups the Ante

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annie Ups the Ante

It's time. According to the Cambridge dictionary online, "If you up the ante, you ​increase ​your ​demands or the ​risks in a ​situation in ​order to ​achieve a ​better ​result". I'm ready for better results from my body. More co-ordination, more flexibility, more strength, more health.

What I have is way better than what I had, and better than average if I take a casual look around me. But I suspect there is more, possibly much much more, if I were to choose to pursue it more seriously.

Here goes:
    Annie Ups the Ante
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

You go girl!!!

Do you have any specific goals?

Comment

Loving the title

Cant wait to hear about the new adventures!!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

New journal, new effort. Good for you and I hope you have resoundingly good success in reaching your "more" objectives.
        The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

I'll be here to cheer you on!
          M2M

"Nonspecific strength gains have to be converted into real improvements in athletic performance or they are not useful."
          - Training for the New Alpinism by Steve House and Scott Johnston

Primal Journal: Hmm, I'll take this path...

Comment

In general, I want my body to be able to do whatever I ask of it without breaking. As well as to stay healthy and look pretty good.

Specific goals for now are a bit random. Achieve a gymnastics bridge. Turn a decent cartwheel (I thought I was doing cartwheels until I took a wee video, much improvement needed). Master my tap steps. Climb the tree branch that hangs invitingly over the track in the domain but which I haven't conquered yet. Re-learn to roller blade.
            Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

Saturday morning. Practised my tap steps in the kitchen with socks on.

The rain poured down, I trusted that it would keep all my neighbours inside away from the domain, so set off down there in my bare feet for a bit of a scramble. I didn't see anyone so I hope they didn't see me, scampering through the bush, leaping around in the fields and generally not acting my age.

Took my dd for gentle stroll by the river this afternoon and then ran through my tap steps again at home.
              Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

Sunday morning. Up early because the clocks have gone back. Everyone else is using their extra hour for sleep. I on the other hand have started the day with this mobility routine:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf4lYSg1XpI

Then I found another video where the same guy explains (at great length!!) how to get a back bridge:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCMRt-DlhOU

I realise I have kind of been doing some of these exercises at random which is probably why I have found myself halfway to getting the bridge. So now I'm going to work on it on purpose and hope to get there.
                Last edited by Annieh; 04-02-2016, 12:51 PM.
                Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

Sunday afternoon, perfect day for a nice outdoor family activity. However, dh watching telly, dd gone to visit boyfriend to watch movie, other dd hiding in her room ostensibly to do homework but probably watching videos on her screen. So off I wandered around the domain. Not quite so much frolicking today - too many people about - but met a family coming the other way and the dad commented "Bare feet. I like it", so that was a nice wee piece of encouragement.

Teacher meeting tomorrow, so don't know when I will be able to get those roller blades out. They are waiting for me though.
                  Last edited by Annieh; 04-03-2016, 07:14 PM.
                  Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

Oh my goodness, I just held a four-day-old baby. It's soooo long since I've done that, you truly do forget how tiny they are. This little mite was wide awake and moving her limbs while looking all over the place. So cute and precious. I barely know the mother so was delighted when she offered me a hold. Wow. Every new little life is a miracle (and this one is the first girl after four boys, what a lovely surprise for the parents).
                    Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

Monday. Too much sitting today. two hour meeting this am, couple more hours teaching this avo, then watching my dd's tap class. Didn't find time to run around outside at all, and the heaviest thing I lifted was a bag of groceries. At least I did my stretches first and last thing. Good long walk planned for tomorrow, at last my calves have recovered from last week's escapade.

How could I forget about the Carb Curve? This was key to my losing weight when I began. I forgot there's an "effortless maintenance" zone. Quite a narrow zone actually. It may be time to start counting some carbs. Today's would have been contributed by a chocolate milk drink, banana, potato fries, a bit more fruit such as peach and feijoa (FIRST feijoas are arriving now ) A few squares of chocolate. Really really unsure what that would be in total grams.

Very very rough estimate: 36g, +30g, +80g, + 14g + 10g, + 17g = 177g.

And that was a low day, really, as I had no dates, but the chocolate drink is not a usual item so perhaps they balance out.

I will pay a little more attention and see how it pans out over time.
                      Last edited by Annieh; 04-04-2016, 03:29 AM.
                      Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

"If you up the ante, you ​increase ​your ​demands or the ​risks in a ​situation in ​order to ​achieve a ​better ​result".
                        So good for many aspects of life. Have been struggling with one related to career.
                        This journal is sure to be an inspiration.
                        “Never let the perfect be the enemy of the good”. - Popular translation of Voltaire

If you are honest with your lacks, BE honest with your abundance, as well.

"....the route finding part, and dead reckoning - figure out where I need to be and how to get there, then stay on target as I move over the land and through the forest."
                        - Originally Posted by Meant2Move

Comment

you've moved again, lassie!
                          I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                            Specific goals for now are a bit random. Achieve a gymnastics bridge. Turn a decent cartwheel (I thought I was doing cartwheels until I took a wee video, much improvement needed). Master my tap steps. Climb the tree branch that hangs invitingly over the track in the domain but which I haven't conquered yet. Re-learn to roller blade.
                            Those are really great goals!

Comment

I simply must share pix from today's hike. We had a stunning day, walking along the cliff tops for maybe an hour and a half, then down to the river, conveniently timing our arrival for low tide so that we could return via the beach. This was a fantastic way to spend a beautiful beautiful autumn day, but barely challenged my body being 6.5km, and we walked it leisurely with numerous food and photo stops. The black sand was delightfully soft underfoot, so we took our shoes off for the homeward leg.

It was quite a drive to our starting point, and the tide was still lapping the cliffs when we arrived so we decided to take the upper route first.

View of the bay from above. The first part of the walk was a long gentle climb along a farm track.

It was all downhill from here The outlook from the high point was just stunning in the bright sunshine today. There was a seat nearby, erected in memory of a walker who died here. Her last view of this world would certainly have been spectacular. Her companions though would have had a long walk to get help.

Native vegetation - toe toe, ponga, nikau palm and more...

The White Cliffs reflected on the wet sand.
                              Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

Working...
                              X