Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pessimist v2.0

aight,

So I started the 30 day challenge 21 days ago. No grains, no sugars, no ETOH, nothing processed. Daily exercise, tried my best for lots of good sleep...you know, all the PB goodness.

However, last week I got sick. REAL SICK. My throat was all INFECTED WITH THE STREP. Needless to say, it hurt. It was a smidge owie. In my time of painful crisis, I ingested quite a few berries. They just felt so wonderful sliding down my throat in all of their delicious glory. A fair amount of yoghurt was eaten as well. AAAAnd my exercise suffered. As in I didn't move for a week. Day after day waiting to feel better, but getting nauseous from the evil penicillin (my tongue has also gone a bit, fuzzy, shall we say as a result of the meds). So ya, a week of illness has ruined me. All of those berries has made me completely and utterly fail the challenge. Which is a bit upsetting because I have done quite well otherwise.

So here I am. Restarting the challenge. I am not fully recovered from my illness, but I certainly don't need the berries to feel better.

Today is Day 1, again...
    The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being proven right or pleasantly surprised.

Welcome back

Comment

Originally posted by SRMnM View Post
      Welcome back
      Thank you very much!
      The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being proven right or pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Sounds like you have thrush (the fuzzy tongue thing from the abx). it's worth considering this an immune problem rather than an abx problem.....how's your vitamin D intake? zinc?

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Go Pessimist! I also started over - although in my challenge berries are certainly not considered a failure But we all have different goals and ways to get there, so I'm cheering you on! Just keep un-sick, and I'm sure you'll be doing great.

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
            Sounds like you have thrush (the fuzzy tongue thing from the abx). it's worth considering this an immune problem rather than an abx problem.....how's your vitamin D intake? zinc?
            I take vitamin D, but no zinc supplement. Perhaps I should look into one and see if that helps me. Thanks for the suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by fable View Post
              Go Pessimist! I also started over - although in my challenge berries are certainly not considered a failure But we all have different goals and ways to get there, so I'm cheering you on! Just keep un-sick, and I'm sure you'll be doing great.
              Doing my best to keep un-sick! Roger that! And while I do support berry eating, I just think my carbs got a bit too high for those few days. But MAN were they ever delicious!

Fable, this time we are going to do it right. I can feeeeeel it!!!!!

Comment

Day 2

Had my wonderful omlette of deliciousness:
                3 eggs
                3 pieces of bacon
                1/2 tomato
                whole lotta spinach

I am trying to psych myself up for wing chun. Having not exercised at all in the last 8 days I have gotten into a bit of a funk. I am still not 100% over my illness either so I just don't have all of my energy back. The classes are 2 hours though so it's valid, right? Ya it is! I went for an hour walk yesterday and the day before. You know, just to do SOMETHING! Get back in the swing and all that jazz. We shall see how it goes.

Ohh yesterday I bought some nut butter. I don't know why I do that to myself. Soooo delicious; I have a hard time stopping. After this jar is gone, NO MORE. At least until my 30 day challenge is up. The stuff is like crack, I swear. Creamy, nut buttery crack.

Comment

Day 3

MAAAAN
                  This illness is just kicking my ass. I don't want to whine (ok maybe I do) too much about it but it should be going away by now. Not getting worse. I really miss exercising and I can't stand a sore throat. Worst symptom EVAR.

I did take my vibrams out for a stroll last night though. Only about an hour and a half walk. Would you believe my legs are sore??? Egads. I am feeling it in my hips/thighs and a bit in my quads. Got some shaky legs going on. It's mild but it's still exasperating. I don't think I "fell out of shape" from going 1 1/2 weeks without much exercise, I think it has more to do with my body still being ill. I will just keep taking the penicillin and hope for the best I suppose. *grumble grumble*

Ok, the eats yesterday were my omlette as previously posted about aaaaand far too many nuts >.<
                  Dinner was a piece of rainbow trout and half spaghetti squash with buttery goodness.

OHHH I almost forgot! I bought coconut oil yesterday. I have never had it before. It is quite...oily! I think it is the start of a beautiful relationship.

Comment

Oh noo.. Feel so sorry for you. Guess your body just needs a good, long rest. Don't worry too much about the exercise until you get better. You will catch up again in no time, but if you stress too much you'll probably just stay sick longer :/

Welcome to the wonderful world of coconut oil! I use it for everything. I'll fry stuff in it, melt it and add it to omelets and coconut pancake batter, I'll use it for baking things in the oven, I'll rub it on meat and chicken, sometimes I eat it out of the jar and I smear it all over my body (possibly mixed with sugar for some scrubbing) before jumping in the shower for some silky soft skin in my "Sunday spa" routine Let me know if you find more good uses for it, hehe..

Comment

Originally posted by fable View Post
                      sometimes I eat it out of the jar.
                      I did this! It was weird, yet satisfying at the same time. I wasn't sure if I liked it or not at first, but I found myself going back for seconds!

Comment

Day5

Ok, yes I started over on the 30 day challenge. But only because I had a lot of berries for 2 days. So really if you gloss over that I am on day 25ish. I have not had any grains, no sugar, no alcohol, nothing processed during that time. And my body composition hasn't changed one bit. I keep reading about everyone dropping 8 pounds their first week! I am nearing 30 days and I got nuthin! In fact I think I have gained some.

I don't want to get into a sob fest here, but damn am I disappointed. I have been thinking I may as well keep my old school eating because I was the same-except there I would get to eat cheesecake and ice cream if I wanted it! The more I read these forums, the more I keep taking food out of my diet. I have read "dont eat carrots, don't eat nightshades, no fruit at all!!!, never eat nuts, no parsnips, no squash, no turnip...no no no". Is that why I am not losing weight? I ate some carrots?

I don't know. I will probably continue to eat this way regardless. I'm not sure if challenges and such are for me though. Failing them is not good for the ego. And I may need a break from the forums. Lots of good info but I keep second guessing everything I eat. Well except bacon. Never second guess the bacon!

Comment

So I have been a bit sinful with the nuts and fruits. However, I will no longer be buying nuts. Perhaps in a month or so I will grab a few here and there, but nut butters are RIGHT OUT. I just can't control myself! I'm not going to give up my berries though. I need to allow myself that treat every so often. it is summer for goodness sake-it just calls for berries!

Let's see, i don't have exact foodie numbers but today I ate:
                          Ground beef in a coconut curry for breakfast and dinner (go go leftovers!)
                          2 hard boiled eggs
                          1 scoop protein powder
                          handful shredded coconut

still feeling a bit snacky though...

Did some weights, about 50 min worth, at the gym
                          Squats, deadlifts, pull ups, rows, bench press, dips, calf raises and a bit o' stretchin'. Oh and shoulder dislocates. Definitely need to work my shoulders.

I managed to abstain from the delicious looking cake and pop that was brought into the staff meeting. SCREW YOU DELICIOUS CAKE! Ima go eat my hard boiled eggs instead!!!

Comment

So I made my breaky of 3 eggs, some broccoli and half a can of salmon (a bit weird but I'm running low on food atm so I just threw whatever I had in there). I was still a bit snackish an hour later, so I helped myself to some coconut milk I had in the fridge before I ran off to wing chun. My stomach is in SEVER pain now. I drove all the way to wing chun and turned around and came back home. I feel so nauseous and my intestines and stomach are all crampy and painful. It's been 3 hours now and I can still hardly move. The tummy did NOT like the coconut milk. I have no problem eating it with other foods, but sometimes when I eat it on its own I just want to vomit. I don't understand what that's about.

So now I am just sitting around waiting for this GI issue to pass. So pissed that I couldn't attend wing chun. Why do you hate me coconut milk? WHY???

Also we just experienced an earthquake while I was typing this up. Weird....
                            Last edited by Pessimist; 06-23-2010, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Felt severe cramping/nausea after eating some coconut milk yesterday, and I am still feeling it today. Also have a sore throat which is making me nervous. I just got off a nice big dose of penicillin for throat related pain. It really, really hurt and completely screwed up my exercise routine. I am quite frightened it will come back, just when I am getting back into working out. I HATE not being able to exercise SOOO MUCH.

But despite the nausea I went for a run in my vibrams last night. It was my first real run in them, and I went about 4 miles. I know I will have to keep working on my stride but it was actually quite pleasant to bounce over the trails and pavement. My calves and feet are just fine so I don't think I will have to ease into them. I spend a lot of time bouncing around on my toes barefoot at home alone, always have. So that probably helps.

I did some stretching and planks and such when I got in after my run. I was sweating so much I kept slipping off my mat. It was pretty hot out I just love being all drenched in sweat-feels like I did something!

I was still feeling ill that evening but decided to make myself a big salad and eat it anyway. I threw in some roast beef I had just cooked up. Pretty tasty. When eating it that's when I noticed my throat was sore. Went to bed and yup, throat still bugging me today. BLEH.

This morning I had for breakfast
                              1/2 cup blueberry and 3/4 yoghurt with cinnamon and cocoa powder. I just bought the cocoa yesterday and wow is that knock your socks off yummy!
                              I didn't want lunch but a coworker insisted and he was buying so I got an apple (I know, 2 fruits in one day!) and some carrots, cauliflower and broccoli. The cafeteria leaves MUCH to be desired. I was going to buy a seafood soup, poured a bowl and noticed it had potatoes in it. I stealthily dumped it back in the pot.

Was fairly hungry when I got home so ate some leftover clafouti-dammit that had cranberries in it. But not many! Had a gloup of butter as well.

I really have to watch my fruit intake sometimes. I used to NEVER eat fruit, only very rarely and now that I want to limit it I find I am eating it all the time. What's that about?

Planning on going for a walk in a bit as my exercise. Giving my legs a chance to rest after some lifting and vibram running. That and the NAUSEA that is pissing me off!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X