No announcement yet.

Primal Journal SPOM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend was good. It's been warmer than usual so I've been able to go on longer walks than I would otherwise - went for 4 miles Sunday and did some stretching and one sloooow pullup. My right shoulders a little sore so I've been stretching it out and using light therapy on it (LLLT).

I listened to Ben Greenfield's podcast (What Is The Quantlet?) on the Quantlet, a wearable device that uses light and cold to improve performance and make you awesome. Interesting technology, but it's not available yet (sometime next year) and it'll be expensive (~$750).

Today was a dumbbell session which went well. Hoping it will help with sleep tonight too. I did pushups program, failed but progressed, just barely.
    "On a snow covered mountain time stands still and clarity enters the mind"
    "I want to find out what happens if I don't give up"

Comment

• Didn't sleep well last night - the weather changed again which sometimes causes poor sleep for me. Saw a new dr. today for ms. (Old dr. moved away). I picked his brain as best I could on stem cell therapy. He's against me going to Mexico for it. I'm having second thoughts myself. It's just so frustrating seeing all the success stories, but I suppose if your not a success you don't post your story online. Just wish it was easier to decipher and figure out all the info - it's so scattered and piecemeal, reading something here and there. That's what happens when you try and pursuit a not-yet-approved-FDA-procedure. Although it is approved and has been used thousands of times (millions?) for cancer worldwide. I got denied for the US-based trial - essentially, I'm not sick enough to qualify. New doc suggested I take Gabapentin to help with my nighttime symptoms that interfere with good sleep. I voiced my concern with all the scary side effects, but he said at my low dosage (100mg) it shouldn't be an issue. I might try it, haven't decided yet. I'm still about 2.5 on the EDSS disability scale. He said I was doing well considering I've had it 20 years. I suppose I should just be grateful I'm not in a wheelchair or bedridden or blind, but I want so much more and don't compare myself to others who are sick. I remember the person I was prior to MS and want that. For now I'll continue to eat healthy, exercise, improve strength, and sleep, and try various hacks here and there that might help.

No real exercise yesterday or today, just short walks and a few pullups. My right shoulder is still sore when I stretch it out like in a lateral raise. I probably tweaked something in the rotator cuff area. I should take it easy on it. I've been eating a lot of omelettes lately. They're filing. Had a Florida avocado for the first time. I didn't like it. I think I'll stick to the Mexican/California variety.

Go back to periodontist tomorrow for the last (hopefully) follow up on my gum surgery.

Comment

• Nice blog post and podcast from Damien Blankesopp of the Quantified Body about his self experiment doing a 5 day fasting mimicking diet. He includes various bio metrics that he tracked such as IGF 1, white blood cell, glucose, keystones, body comp, etc. he does a good job explaining the stuff too and suggests a real simple way to do the FMD which is to simply eat two avocados each day along with 4 tablespoons of greens powder. I might ease into something like this by doing a two day fast in month one, a three day fast in month two, 4 days in month 3 and then finally 5 days in month 4. That way I give my body a chance to adjust to it gradually. The whole concept sounds appealing but my concern is if the immune system initially clears out the weak and damaged cells during the fast and then re grows a newer and stronger system post fast, does that newer, stronger system then rev up my autoimmunity making my MS worse or does the newer stronger system have a more balanced composition with less adaptive cells and more T regs to keep things in check or is it just a crap shoot? https://thequantifiedbody.net/fast-mimicking-diet/

I went to periodontist today, everything checked out fine and I'm all healed up. Also picked up a new pair of glasses from optometrist. Surprisingly my vision got slightly better. It still sucks overall (very myopic, I guess I didn't get enough outdoor sun as a kid). I've considered lasik but optometrist advised against it saying that my eyes were too myopic and there wouldn't be much for them to laser away at. I guess it gets to thin the worse they get. I've read some interesting stuff where some biohackers train their eyes to get better by wearing plus lenses. I might have to pursue this too. Myopia: a modern yet reversible disease¬*/¬* Getting Stronger

Went to gym and lifted DBs. Increased one of the weights, so a little progress. Haven't done pushups in a few days. Might try them again tomorrow or Saturday. I was supposed to do sprints today but was too tired after lifting so I might do them tomorrow.
        Last edited by DavidA; 12-10-2015, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• Did bike sprints today, they went well, continue to get better. I have a big chunk of bottom round beef in the crockpot. I defrosted what I thought was ground beef and when I opened it, it was bottom round so I quickly improvised. Gonna take the weekend off and do Xmas stuff. The boards are always cluttered with spammers on the weekends anyway.

Comment

• Semi productive day so far with 4 out of 6 things done from my to-do list. Hopefully I will have enough ambition to get my laundry done this evening. Lifted DBs today.

I was thinking about fitness goals for next year, not New Years resolutions, per se, but 'stretch goals' to strive for regarding the PBF bodyweight exercises. Here they are:
            1) 100 consecutive good form pushups (can probably do 30-35 now)
            2) 500 consecutive good form squats (don't know how many I can do now. Squats are easy)
            3) 25 consecutive good form pullups (can probably do 6 now)
            4) 5 minute good form plank (can probably do 2:30 now)

I'll have to test my current fitness on the 31st or the 1st so I have official starting point benchmarks. Even if I don't attain these, hopefully I will make progress and therefore continue to improve my fitness for my future years.

Comment

• I am on vacation visiting family so some things will change as far as eating and exercising. I have eaten well and primal so far, and I've eaten more than I normally would - more fruit and carbs than usual which is fine for vacation. I should have rehearsed my answers to questions about why I don't eat this or that or what's wrong with canola oil. Sometimes I feel like I'm on trial with my food choices. Oh well. The big adjustment is breakfast because I'm just not hungry in the morning so I normally don't eat it, but out of politeness to my hosts I'm back to eating breakfast and three meals a day at ~ regular times: 7:30 am, 12 noon, and 5:30.

I haven't worked out since Wednesday when I did my last DB session of the year. But I have been going on short walks every day (otherwise I'd drive myself crazy) and I plan to get in at least one hike. I will do a bodyweight session either tomorrow or Sunday, probably planks, squats and pushups, and maybe dips if I can figure out how to do them without damaging the furniture.

The weather's been great and holiday cheer is in the air.

Comment

• I've been doing a ~ quick body weight routine every other day while on vaca to stay fit.
                1) Pushups: 5 sets of 21, 25, 21, 21, and 32+ with a minute rest between sets. I continue to "fail" on set # 5 but that's okay. I will persist. (This is from the 100 push-up program, week 4, day 1). My failures on set 5: 26 (new high water mark), 13, 17, 20.
                2) Goblet squats: 3 sets of 50 with a 15 lb DB I found. One minute rest between sets.
                3) Plank 90 seconds, side planks 60 seconds each side

I've also gotten in a number of short walks throughout each day, probably averaging ~3+ miles total each day.

I'm craving veggies. Haven't had a big salad in days.

Comment

• I've been doing some hiking the past few days in sunny, rocky, cactusy Arizona. Had one small slip and fall the first day on some loose scree like footing. Also got a small jumping teddy bear cactus stuck I my left elbow and unknowingly reached around blindly to remove it and in the process stuck my hand.

I continue to do bodyweight exercises every other day. It's simple and takes about 20 minutes total.

I've been good about sticking with a 'clean' diet. My indulgences have been eating more macadamias, dark chocolate, fruit and red wine than I ordinarily would.

I've had a good time visiting with family. The kids grow up fast. I've been giving them subtle hints to get them living a healthy lifestyle from the get go, but their moms don't buy into the 'grains are bad for you' and 'there's nothing wrong with saturated fat, it's the sugar that you need to curtail'. Oh well, I decided it's not worth getting into a family fight over. Maybe I'll gift my nieces that pale girl book by Leslie Klepp and let the learn it themselves. I got one of my nieces to incorporate short sprints into her morning run so that was a success.

#HikingBreak

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Happy New Years everyone. It's nice to have a clean slate of 365 days to live my life. My immediate goals are getting stuff organized and cleaned up. I used to be good at always being organized but have let things really slip over the years. I jotted down these five things on this front: 1)Get organized; 2)Throw out stuff; 3)Simplify; 4)Clean; 5)Get a plan. OK, so I'll brew a big pot of coffee and and get things organized, simplified and clean.

When thinking about paleo/primal, I generally reflect on how I'm doing on 5 pillars: 1)Food; 2)Exercise; 3)Sun; 4)Sleep; 5)Meditation. In thinking about resolutions for this year, I decided I'm doing good on the first three, but continue to struggle with sleep and pretty much completely ignore meditation. So I've resolved to work on meditating. I'll start small with five minutes a day as a goal and see how it goes.

Food I've gotten back to my usual eating, consuming a big salad everyday and good quantities of fermented foods; also intermittent fasting schedule of two meals a day instead of three.

Exercise Got in a bike sprint session to start the new year. I need to do my assessment of where I'm at on the four essential movements - maybe tomorrow. I wish I had chronicled where I was at when I first started so I could see progress up to now. I'm looking forward to measuring where I'm currently at and then setting new goals for this year. For years after I first got diagnosed with MS I had totally given up on any exercise whatsoever and allowed my self to slip into a bad frame of mind where I couldn't see the point of even trying. I've escaped that mind framework and now am encouraged by seeing my progress and focusing on what I can do.

Sun I'm not making any vitamin d in my skin this time of year so I'm supplementing huge amounts, 50,000 every three days =~16,667 per day. I take vitamin k and magnesium with it, and I don't take any calcium or eat dairy. I test my calcium too to keep it in check. There's evidence that vit d is beneficial for MS. It up regulates Treg cells to help put the brakes on my autoimmune attack and recent evidence suggests it helps with regenerating nerves. I recently tested my blood serum level D25-OH and it was 98.5 ng/ml which is within the range I like to keep it (between 80 and 120)

Sleep I'm still striving to improve it. Recently it's been better so I don't want to jinx myself. Setting a strict bedtime helps as well as a white noise machine and keeping the temp cool. I need to further limit blue light from TV and iPad.

Meditation To be honest, I really haven't focused much on this at all. The few times I've tried it, I suck at it and give up. Hence my resolution to try and get better at it this year.

Comment

• I've read a couple of places that even when one is 'bad' at meditating, you gain some benefit. The point is noticing your thoughts, and if you notice that you have drifted away... well, you noticed.

Happy New Year, David.
                      M2M

"Nonspecific strength gains have to be converted into real improvements in athletic performance or they are not useful."
                      - Training for the New Alpinism by Steve House and Scott Johnston

Primal Journal: Hmm, I'll take this path...

Comment

• Todays food:
                        Yerba Mate
                        Herring
                        Kale/blueberry/banana/turmeric/coconut smoothie with protein powders
                        Chicken
                        Apple
                        Pickle
                        Kombucha
                        Chocolate
                        Rolled date with coconut
                        Almonds
                        Cashews
                        Big Salad with mixed greens, avocado, olives, garlic, onions, mushrooms, broccoli, tomatoes

Limited exercise today with a couple of short walks. It's cold and grey skies. I lifted on Sunday so I am taking two days to recover from that as I was quite sore yesterday. Hoping to either lift or do bike sprints or assess my bodyweight exercises tomorrow.

I tried meditating for five minutes. Will keep trying. It can only get better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meant2Move View Post
                          I've read a couple of places that even when one is 'bad' at meditating, you gain some benefit. The point is noticing your thoughts, and if you notice that you have drifted away... well, you noticed.

Happy New Year, David.
                          Thanks M2M. I'll keep that in mind. Happy new year to you too. Hope you can get some hiking or skiing in.

Comment

• Fitness Assessment I finally got around to doing my end of year 2015 / beginning of year 2016 assessment on the 4 essential movements. Unfortunately I have nothing to compare them to because I wasn't exercising a year ago (I started sometime last spring and didn't do an initial assessment when I started - I just kinda eased into the whole exercise routine). So, here are my current stats:
                            Pushups: 40
                            Pullups: 5.5
                            Plank: 4 min 8 sec
                            Left plank: 2 min 31 sec
                            Right plank: 2 min 2 sec
                            Squats: 375 (~12 min 53 sec)

Commentary:
                            Pushups: When I started doing pushups, I think I could do between 10-20 of them, so 40 is pretty good progress. My new stretch goal is 100.

Pullups: When I started doing pull-ups, I could do 0, so 5.5 is ok progress. I've regressed a little since last fall/summer when I was doing 6 fairly often and I think I once did 7. I hadn't done pullups in about a month+ as the pull-up bar is located in a park about a mile or so away that I don't go to often now that the weather is challenging (wintery). My right shoulder is tweaked. As soon as I grabbed the pull-up bar I winced at the discomfort in my right shoulder. Enough of the excuses! My new stretch goal is 25.

Planks: I have no idea what my initial plank time approximated. That said, I was pleasantly surprised at my 4 min+ plank. I don't know why the side planks are less time. Maybe those ?oblique? muscles are just weaker. Or maybe I was just more tired, doing them last. Also, my right side seems weaker than left which is surprising to me. New stretch goal is 5 minutes each.

Squats: I have no idea what my initial estimated number of squats was. Squats were easy but I got tired, started noticing weakness in my lower right back area and started to lose balance in my spine area (somewhat MS related). It seemed a bit stupid doing endless squats and I was planning on quitting once I reached 500 regardless of if I had anything left in the tank. But alas, I petered out at 375. New stretch goal is 500. Note, it may be better to have my new stretch goal be goblet squats with a reasonable number (100 or 200?) and with a higher weight (50 or 60 lbs?; I currently do 3 sets of 17 with 45 lbs during my DB sessions).

My immediate goal is to get my right shoulder tweak healed up. Which means giving it rest so I have a convenient excuse to avoid pullups in the near future. I should probably also curtail shoulder presses and maybe some of the other dumbbell exercises I do. Also need to do regular LLLT therapy.

So, I'll continue to enjoy making progress in my fitness and I'll see where I'm at next year. I've said it before and I'll say it again: The most important exercise I do each day is when I lift my fork from my plate to my mouth.
                            Last edited by DavidA; 01-07-2016, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• Well, I shouldn't be surprised, my quads were quite sore from all the air squats I did yesterday. But it was a welcome soreness that brought back memories of training days from a long time ago.

----------

It's raining lightly today with gloomy grey skies but the temp is warmer than it has been so despite the rain I went for an early morning walk that was longer than I'd normally do this time of year.

----------

Last month, since my health ins deductible was used up, I asked my dr for a testosterone test, somewhat out of curiosity but also because I'm getting older and lack the energy that I was had. The results showed that T was "normal" with a value of 3 on a normal scale of 2 to 8. Well 3 seems to me to be on the low end so I've googled what I can do to increase it naturally. From what I've gathered, I need to eat saturated fat and cholesterol (steak and eggs?), green leafy veggies, lift heavy things, sprint, and get good sleep. All of these things I'm doing, so maybe a 3 isn't as bad as it could be, I don't know? I have more important health issues to deal with.

--------

I eat a ton of veggies. Between my daily green smoothie, big salad and snacks, I probably consume 15-20 servings per day. But I don't neglect protein/meat, usually eating fish and eggs everyday along with another meat source with liver being ~ once a week.

----------

Big salad = Rubbermaid 14 cup/3.3 L container filled with a cornucopia of plants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• So I went to the gym Saturday thinking I would get in a good workout. Got there and it was crowded so I went into the Pilates studio, stretched a little and the said ef it, I don't feel like working out today and left.

----------

Went to the gym today and did get in that good workout that I passed on yesterday.

----------

I finish up my routine with goblet squats. And today I realized that they can be really hard and taxing on both the legs and your heart. Felt my heart beating pretty hard between sets and took some extra recovery time. I decided that one of these days I should take a fresh attempt at at my rep maximum using my current 45 lb dumbbell. That would seem to be a better measure than to keep incrementally increasing the lbs. the problem with increasing the lbs is that the grip is awkward on a goblet squat and gets more difficult the heavier it is.

----------

No big salad today for the first time this year. I didn't feel like chopping up veggies. Today's food: spinach-strawberry-banana-coconut smoothie, sardine, chicken liver, sweet potato, pistachios, cashews, apple, hamburger, omelette, mushroom, garlic, oregano, turmeric, ginger, sauerkraut, cashews, dark chocolate, kombucha

Comment

Working...
                                X