Brazilian Jiu Jitsu nutrition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazilian Jiu Jitsu nutrition

hey, so how do you fellow BJJ fighters find primal works for you? Everyone i've heard recomends lots of carbs both post and pre training and very little fat.... not so primal. They also say lo carb is gonna make you gas out too fast and gain wieght hah.
    so, what are you guys's experiences with primal and BJJ?

I run between 3-4 times per week, and do two MMA classes, and I found my endurance has increased by going primal.

That being said, I was low carb for six months before PB, and slipped into ketosis pretty easily. The key is once I adapted, I need to stay in ketosis, or my energy level dives quickly.

Comment

As long as you have energy, primal should be fine. Listen to your body. I trained bjj back in the day. lol
      "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

For long training sessions, there is nothing in a plate of pasta that can't be replaced with a banana or a sweet potato.

Comment

You may have to tweak a little but it shouldn't be too big of an adjustment.
          Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Comment

I do MMA, Don't get sold out to CW of carbing up! it may technically replenish a bit faster, but our bodies are more than capable of surviving and providing all the energy we need from fat sources, veggies and occasional fruit for me. My edurance is just as good once i got used to it.

Even with only 8% body fat (5.12kg for me, 5120g), I have 46080 calories stored (9cals per gram of fat), so even if I go down to 4% I have 23000 cals to last me. None of my training sessions use that much :P
            www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

hmmm, you'd think that as brazilians they'd be more into steak. Meat, and bikinis are the only two things I can agree with brazilians on.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthFriendly View Post
                hmmm, you'd think that as brazilians they'd be more into steak. Meat, and bikinis are the only two things I can agree with brazilians on.
                Their waxing methodology is quite nice too!
                Your goals, minus your doubts, equals your reality.
                - Ralph Marston

Comment

I do BJJ and MMA 3 times a week typically and my endurance has greatly improved since going primal. I keep to around 50 grams of carbs per day. I'm also less gassy feeling, which my training partners appreciate. No more whoopee cushion moments when someone stacks me up.
                  - Ralph Marston

Comment

Originally posted by Agatsu View Post
                    Their waxing methodology is quite nice too!
                    I wouldn't know from experience, but then again "grappling" men isn't my thing either.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthFriendly View Post
                      I wouldn't know from experience, but then again "grappling" men isn't my thing either.
                      LOL! I guess I meant the women for that comment specifically, but it's all good!
                      - Ralph Marston

Comment

Originally posted by Agatsu View Post
                        LOL! I guess I meant the women for that comment specifically, but it's all good!
                        Well, I do know that hair grabbing is encouraged in some forms of jujitsu, but that might be going a bit far.

Comment

Ive been doing BJJ for 3 years now, usually from 2 to 5 classes a week. Before discovering the primal diet i was a big believer in replacing glycogen, keeping stores full, etc. In addition to finding this website I just also finished reading a book called The Paleo Diet for Athletes.
                          It confirmed by belief that unless you are training twice or more per day, you dont need rapid glycogen replenishment. For example, a professional athlete training over 90 minutes at at least 85% effort in the morning will significantly deplete his glycogen stores and wont have as much energy for the night time/afternoon session unless he replenishes the glycogen rather quickly. thats the only time foods with a higher GI (grains,sugars) are beneficial in any way post workout. if you are not familiar with the Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load just google and you will find tons of information.
                          If you are not training twice a day, the glycogen you unloaded during your night time workout will be replenished plenty with your early meals the next day. provided those include some carbs (fruit, vegetables).

a somewhat paleo way of post workout nutrition could be dried fruit. raisins and dates score high on the GI scale because they are full of sugar. dates are also extremely alkaline (brings down gut acidity) and natural so that could be a good postworkout food. just dont go crazy, a small spike in blood sugar is all you are looking for.

that book I read also described lifestyles of current hunter gatherer tribes as witnessed by some journalists. one thing I thought was very significant is that after a particularly hard day of hunt/chase they would take an easy day afterwards. as if this is their natural way of replenishing glycogen. if their body is completely spent after a long day of running/hunting, they will spend the next day with low intensity work and eating. this doesnt mean that we arent designed for consecutive days of hard workouts, but performance may diminish and overtraining could set in. try to mix up your physical activity, after a very hard session of BJJ/rolling, the next day go for a run or play football/basketball for a couple hours. the intensity will be dialed down but you will still get a cardio workout and allow your muscles/ligaments to heal. thats all i can think of at the moment, i will add more later.

Comment

i agree. good summary.
                            www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

I would love to know what the appropriate amount of extra carbs would be as well, as I do MMA/BJJ 3 times a week, but I've also been doing the P90X training. Most P90X training sessions last about 45 minutes to 1 hour, and I do those in the morning, and so 3 x a week I'll be doing an Muay Thai or BJJ class in the evening on top of it. My stamina is pretty good, and I can feel myself getting stronger, but despite adhering very strictly to the primal diet requirements (no sensible vices, and no alcohol), I just can't get rid of the last bit of gut fat that I have. I'm a pretty skinny guy for the most part (5'11", 150lbs.), but even though I've lost a few pounds since going primal 3 months ago, I just can't get rid of the the little unsightly mini-gut that I have. How do I know if I'm consuming too much fat? How many carbs should I consume after an hour long intense workout? On double session days? I generally keep my carbs around 100 grams, and I make sure to get plenty of protein with each meal. I'm not sure what or if I'm doing anything wrong...

Comment

Working...
                              X