Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of getting into Triathlon

Hi all.

As the title says, I'm thinking about getting into Triathlon. I would consider myself a competent swimmer, cyclist and runner ( amongst other things) but I want to really test myself physically. The ultimate goal is an Ironman distance tri, but I think I should start with an Olympic distance.

Basically, I'm looking for advice from like minded (Primal) people as to what to expect, whats some good training, how to get into it… anything that you think might help really, what wetsuit brand to look out for, what ones to avoid, tips and hints… anything. I'm not looking to break any world records, just to get round in a respectable time (12-13 hours for an Ironman.. is that about right?).

I live just outside London (Essex) in the UK by the way, in case anyone was going to suggest a show or something in Malibu, as nice as that would be.

Thanks in advance

Grok On!
    Last edited by Steady; 02-20-2014, 04:15 AM.

I think Mark has written about triathlon training. Maybe start there.

Sent via lightsaber

Comment

Thanks Mr. Anthony, I'll check that out and I dare say he gets some good stuff down.

But I'm looking for the real finite details. I'm pretty confident I could manage each individual disciplines distance, even those of an IM tri, but its the little things that I think are missed in articles such as the one Mark has written (not that I'm suggesting its no good... I haven't even read it yet).

Comment

I did a sprint tri two years ago, if you google Triathlon Training plans you can find lots of free programs that tell you how to schedule your training. I liked Trifuel.com.
        Heidi

33yo, 5'6", 158lbs, size 10 jeans

Comment

I don't have any advice but thought I would share the link to the Triathlon forum on Runners World.com

Triathlons | Runner's World Community
          My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82833.html

Comment

Remember the fourth discipline: Transitions.

Comment

Thanks for the replies all. I'm trying to get the funds together to enter the London Olympic Triathlon in August. Hopefully I can find the find somewhere!

I went out and did a ride/ run yesterday, 25 mile ride then a 10k run. Wasn't the fastest ever, 1.40 on the bike - 5 mins transition (had to say hello to the wife and kids) then a 50 minute 10k. I'd like to complete a whole Olympic Tri in 2.40, so I need to speed up a few minutes on those two disciplines.

Onwards and upwards.

Comment

Yeah, keeping your family in transition will slow you down!

Comment

Anyone got any tips for nutrition while participating in Triathlons? I don't want to resort to "energy" bars or gels and obviously won't be carbo loading on a pasta feast.

I was thinking to start the day of with a normal breakfast of eggs and bacon/ sausage, a protein shake and black coffee. Then while participating, bananas, red grapes, maybe some nuts (almonds and macadamias) and lots of water.
                  Last edited by Steady; 03-04-2014, 06:50 AM.

Comment

I found some good information in this thread (check the post by ultrarunnergirl)

What to eat during long runs? Need replacements for gels and gummies! - Whole30 for athletes - Whole9
                    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82833.html

Comment

Originally posted by Steady View Post
                      Thanks for the replies all. I'm trying to get the funds together to enter the London Olympic Triathlon in August. Hopefully I can find the find somewhere!

I went out and did a ride/ run yesterday, 25 mile ride then a 10k run. Wasn't the fastest ever, 1.40 on the bike - 5 mins transition (had to say hello to the wife and kids) then a 50 minute 10k. I'd like to complete a whole Olympic Tri in 2.40, so I need to speed up a few minutes on those two disciplines.

Onwards and upwards.
                      I'm doing the olympic London triathlon as well, though I'm no where near as fit as you by the sounds of it. Would you mind posting the link to Marks article on Triathlon training? I've found one on here but it wasn't written by him.

Comment

melkor

I must admit, I never found it myself. I had a quick look but couldn't see it. I will say though, I have taken Marks approach to of "how little training can I do, and still toe the line with the guys who have put theirselves through hell to get there". I've recently read Andy Holgate's "Can't Swim, Can't Ride, Can't Run. Now as much as I respect the guy for what he did and continues to do, to me, his training doesn't sound like fun at all. And if it ain't fun, I ain't doing it!

Anyway, good luck with the London, hopefully I'll be there with you.

Comment

Working...
                        X